Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
European style butter...Land O Lakes

Went into town to nab some store brand butter at $3.00lb, Costco has been at $3.87 for about a yr now at least. While I was there saw Land O Lakes European style butter, 82% butterfat for $3.50 lb so I bought that, 16lbs. Did a side by side taste test w/ the Costco and yum, really can tell a difference. Now mind you I wouldn't pay the normal price of $6.89 for any taste but on sale for less than Costco and more yummier, surely. And of course, I must go bk and get some more. I tried Kerrygold 1 time but wasn't impressed but then again, I was comparing not only the taste but the price. This LOL brand has a much yellower color than the Costco brand. I've started mixing my ghee w/ equal amts. of refined coconut oil and love the taste. I've been trying to get more coconut oil in my diet and just can't tolerate a fat bomb. But this is really working for me, the mixture. Now if heavy whipping cream would just come down in price, I don't use it as freely as I once did. Shoot, was giving some to the cats at times, not now. Costco here in NC changed their brand to Land O Lakes from that beautiful pink, white and black cow theme cream and price jumped. Believe it's $4.29. That's up from $2.89.

Last edited by JJJ'sMom; 11-09-2017 at 10:12 PM..
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
My absolute favorite European style cultured butter in Plusgras in the RED wrapper. UNSALTED. Used to be able to get it at Trader Joe's then they discontinued it and we now live where there is no TJ's - a real bummer.

Then I was able to get Plusgras through Smart and Final; had to order a case of twenty-four pounds. Again, no S&F where I live now, so that's out.

Having tried numerous brands of European style butter that are available in local supermarkets, I agree that Land O Lakes is darned good even though I prefer Plusgras. I can definitely tell a difference between cultured and uncultured butter. Flavor of the former is so much more buttery.

You got a GREAT deal! We belong to the local Sam's Club (not as good as Costco, IMO) and I've never seen cultured butter there. I wait for local supermarkets to put Land O Lakes on sale. Have seen an online source for Plusgras but shipping is, of course, high.

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I'm able to get Plugra at the regular grocery store, like Safeway/Vons.

I am not a fan of Kerrygold, but I absolutely LOVE Land O' Lakes and Plugra!
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

EnglishLit and Ginny, how long has the LOL European style butter been on the market??
I tht it was new, I've never seen it and I would have because the pkg'ing is so pretty.

Ah, took a 5 min pause to look up the LOL. While it seems to have been out in certain areas for about 2 yrs or so, it just has arrived here in NC, and so far only this 1 particular grocery chain. And then looked up "European butter". Also says lower moisture content. I will say that last night I made ghee using it, used 3 3/4 lbs butter or 7 1/2 cups. It yielded 7 cups of ghee, hubby says that's a 7% loss of product due to the moisture and milk solids. Making the ghee w/ the Costco brand I get a 20% loss, quite impressive savings, makes out to be $1.85 for a cup of ghee.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

JJJ's Mom, I've been using European style butter for at least thirty years. When I lived in the Phoenix valley (fifth largest city in the US), I could find it in numerous stores. Plusgras arrived at Trader Joes years and years ago. And then they went and discontinued it!

The Southeast has been rather slow to market European butter. I can get unsalted LOL at Kroger's here in Aiken, SC. They simply don't stock a lot of it. I am NOT a fan of Kerry Gold either. Flavor is just not there. But almost all the stores here carry that brand.

I always make ghee with unsalted butter. Even if I don't use European style, the ghee is still wonderful. I do have to simmer longer to get rid of the extra water in American style butter. I like my ghee somewhat darker than most people do. I think the extra time spent simmering heightens the nutty flavor so the cultured flavor is lost anyway. Darker ghee is dynamite in an LC frosting, a one-minute muffin, or on LC toast!

Ginny in SC
Old 11-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Ginny, I was specifically asking about the LOL brand, new here. I always make ghee w/ salted butter and the salt cooks out w/ the milk solids. In fact, I tried adding some salt to ghee this last time and it just doesn't dissolve and falls to the bottom.

I let some ghee get too dark one time and tht, omg........I ruined it. But omg, no, not ruined, ended up being wonderfully browned. One mistake that turned out great.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I have been using Land O Lakes European butter for about 8-10 years I think. My husband is in the military and I first started using it because the commissary sells it ridiculously cheap, practically the same price as regular butter!

I stock up and buy maybe 10 boxes for my annual Christmas cookies!
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Omg EnglishLit, 8-10 yrs........you've got to be joking.........Seriously, it has just hit here, in the 2nd largest town in NC. And hasn't been in any Wholefoods, Earthfare (the pricey healthfood stores here). Well I'm behind the times in the taste of using European style butter but I've now caught up and not going bk. Just have to wait for the sales. Although I did buy 16lbs and going bk before the sale goes off and clear the self of the salted. Some would say, omg girl, chill, but I love using some things w/ abandonment and I can only do that when I've gotten them at a good price, thus I buy in volume those things that are a great buy. VitaFiber, BochaSweet, this butter, etc.........lol
Old 11-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Omg EnglishLit, 8-10 yrs........you've got to be joking.........Seriously, it has just hit here, in the 2nd largest town in NC. And hasn't been in any Wholefoods, Earthfare (the pricey healthfood stores here). Well I'm behind the times in the taste of using European style butter but I've now caught up and not going bk. Just have to wait for the sales. Although I did buy 16lbs and going bk before the sale goes off and clear the self of the salted. Some would say, omg girl, chill, but I love using some things w/ abandonment and I can only do that when I've gotten them at a good price, thus I buy in volume those things that are a great buy. VitaFiber, BochaSweet, this butter, etc.........lol
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It makes no sense to pay more than you have to, to use quality ingredients.

You're a woman after my own heart.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

I absolutely agree, JJJ's Mom. If you find something you love and it's a deal, buy as much as you can safely store. The economists may say there isn't any inflation, but they don't count food or gas in their stupid calculations. Guess economists don't eat or drive! LOL

Good butter ain't gonna be any cheaper later!!!!

Ginny in SC