Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb & Low Calorie
Start Date: June 2016
Chips Tip

My favorite easy LC chip is made from cut up low carb tortillas, such as Mama Lupe's or Mission Carb Count, mixed with a little olive oil and some seasoned salt.

Lately, I've speeded up the process and gotten better results by spreading the chips on a large cooling rack (20 x 15), and putting directly into a 325° oven, right on the oven racks, with no cookie sheet underneath. This way, they get toasted evenly on both sides without having to flip them over half way through. They are done in about 15 minutes, very easy. It seems my oven heats unevenly, so I do rotate the cooling rack 180° half way through. As you can see, I overlap them quite a bit and still get good results.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I fry them in my fry daddy.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, great idea - I'll have to try that!

I lay mine out in a single layer on two big rimmed baking sheets, then spray with olive oil spray - gets a nice light even coat on them - then sprinkle with salt and bake til browned.

They make great tostadas too if you do the whole tortilla instead of cutting it into chips. I bet that would work perfectly on the racks too!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That's great. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
I do this to make crispy "dip vehicles."

When I'm jonesing for something crunchy and salty to snack on, as soon as they come out of the oven, I sprinkle liberally with powdered white cheddar cheese and let cool. Potato chips?? We don't need no stinkin' potato chips!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Good ideas, all.

Sharon, do you make other chips in your fry daddy, like zuchinni, kale, whatever?

Baricat, exactly! It's just a way to transport salsa or hummus to my mouth, classier than a spoon. When you say powdered white cheddar cheese, I assume you mean like the various popcorn sprinkles? Or is there something with less sodium.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
I am highly impressed by everyone here! I buy bean chips :-)
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKsGirl View Post
Good ideas, all.

Sharon, do you make other chips in your fry daddy, like zuchinni, kale, whatever?

Baricat, exactly! It's just a way to transport salsa or hummus to my mouth, classier than a spoon. When you say powdered white cheddar cheese, I assume you mean like the various popcorn sprinkles? Or is there something with less sodium.
I've only had the Fry Daddy a short time. I fried some zucchini, but not as chips...thicker cut and dipped in a tempura type batter.

I've fried chips made from my pasta dough, though, and they came out very good.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Sunny - I tried your method of baking crackers today and I want to thank you for posting it, it's great to get so many crackers done at one time. I was really low on supply so I made a lot! Some garlic and herb, some sea salt and black pepper and some dorito type with cheese seasoning.

The first batch at 325 for 15 minutes were on the dark side so the rest I did at 300 for 10 minutes.

Thanks again for posting, I don't know why I never thought to do them this way, I usually put them on parchment and do in the microwave which takes awhile if making a lot or in the oven on a pizza pan with the holes in the bottom.

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKsGirl View Post
Good ideas, all.

Sunny, yes, I get it at the local restaurant supply store, and its main use is as a sprinkle for popcorn. Most of them have a high sodium count, unfortunately. There's an option that isn't white, but actual cheddar color, because that's the only ingredient. I buy that in a bag through Amazon, and store it I never the fridge. Lasts for months. But cheddar cheese, being a milk product, tends to pack a sodium punch, even without any added salt. Guess that's why it tastes so darned good!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Cat, there is a multitude of cheddar powders on Amazon...can you recc'd one?

Sharon, I investigated oil fryers on Amazon, and then on an impulse bought an "oil-free fryer", which a lot of people claim is the bees' knees. Can't wait to experiment with it.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Sunny, I get the Anthony's brand. Actually, I was surprised to find that this one does have some added salt, but it's second from the bottom in the ingredient list. Many others list it much higher. I guess cheese powders all add some salt, which acts to minimize liquid content of the cheese, preservatives to ****** mold formation, as well as anti-clumping agents.

I'm not a big fan of super salty stuff, and this doesn't come across overly salty when sprinkled onto your food judiciously. Plus, it makes one bodacious cheese sauce when whisked into heated heavy cream, absolutely decadent on broccoli or asparagus, or over low carb pasta.

We use it now and then sprinkled on the tortilla chips, although the hubs likes the white cheddar version better that I get at the restaurant supply store. To me, the Anthony's one is superior.