Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #61
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Alcestis- yes my downstairs bathroom pipes are against a far wall that I think has been exposed to a lot of wind and we have had those wicked winds lately. I think it froze the line that refills the tank as after the first flush, it was simply not working. Funny thought because every other pipe seems to be OK! I'm also happy for this week's warm up! Glad you are feeling better and what a good way to describe it with work - full steam ahead at work when you are only feeling half steam! If you are not doing strict low carb at the moment, I find those Emergen-C drink mixes to be a little boost, full of vitamins and immune boosting but one envelope is also 8g carbs. (but low in cal!)

queitnite- are you water fasting til dinner? Yes its hard to get those fasting chills on a cold day. BRRRRRR.

Vanilla- mid-days are not such a bad compromise . at least it wasn't a total UD.

As always Ladies, thanks for your input! I also did a bit more internet digging last night and the suggestion to get past the flu (besides water and salt) is more fat. I think this is where I need to improve- more fat and less protein. I definitely had a lot of protein this weekend. my broccoli cheese soup is a good start but I think I need to make some fat bombs. I tried bulletproof coffee again but its just not my favorite. I'm ok with HWC in coffee but the butter and oil just doesn't do it for me. I'm planning to pick up more full fat salad dressings and liberally use oils on salads as well- cheese seems an easy solution but I don't eat just cheese (I know, I'm weird, its a texture thing I think ) so if I try to up the cheese I end up upping other macros too! I figure trying to combine low carb veggies with fats is my best bet on a few different levels. I'll see how things go.

Also pOrtia to answer you on this thread rather than the other, I am listening to your advice and staying the course for this time around. I definitely tend to jump around too much if things don't seem to be working fast enough. I intend to give LCHF/keto (are they interchangeable terms?) up to a month before I assess my success with it.
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #62
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Hey jhmart and quietnite! I'm joining you in z-fast land today! Gonna fast M-W this week. Seriously turning on the afterburners, here.

Yesterday I had another one of those conversation about how "fasting is bad for you" and so and so's doctor said not to do it, and blah blah blah. Gosh that gets tiresome. Yes, there are pros and cons to just about any weight-management program. And obviously fasting is not for everyone. But just as obviously, the amount of misinformation out there about fasting overwhelms the actual useful information. And for Pete's sake, why do do many people think a person would engage in a zero calorie fast without researching it and practicing it first?

Yes. I get querulous sometimes. It's true.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #63
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Now I feel better!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #64
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130/130 Goal 2-20-18
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 08/16/17
Hello all!!!
Zero Day Fast Day 5. OK I'm there. I'm giddy today. I started the day in a weird sense of calm which turned into so happy I'm giddy. So wow get through the 3 days and this is a cake walk. Weigh in 135.0. I'll summarize at the bottom since this is honestly shocking me how quickly you lose. One more oddity to fasting for me...the VIVID dreams. I am one who seldom remembers my dreams and wow the past few nights they are so vivid I wake up saying did that happen??? So last night LOL in my dream I was fasting and for some reason I ate a plate of chex mix and forgot I did that. I told someone I was fasting and they said no you aren't you ate chex mix. Then I was confused because I didn't remember doing that. OK the weird part of that is I never eat chex mix even when not fasting so what the heck. I should write down these dreams because wow they are something else. I get the chex mix thing is lame but that was part of a very weird chase dream as well.

Portia...yay!!! join us!! fasting buddies. So the sea salt helps with the dizziness. I also have magnesium and potassium tablets. Those help too. Although here's another weird one. Right after taking the potassium my heart starts racing. Then it settles after a couple a minutes and all is good. The smell thing is still going on. My son heated up some meat last night after I was asleep (so late). Across the house but it smelled like it was in my face so strong. I don't mind the smell thing. And agreed sick of people giving me their opinions on fasting. One lady at work told me today the minute I started eating again everything I ate would turn to fat??? Where do they get this information? I told her I'd let her know I'm not there yet. I have more fasting questions for you but I've done enough already so tomorrow.... be ready :-)

QuietNite...Fasting with you as well!! The first 3 days I was so freezing. Hot bath all that works for me. People at work though I was insane as bundled as I was inside but I could not warm up. Good luck with your fast. I am coasting now...super happy.

Nilla Latte - After day three I felt good. Today I feel amazing. People who do multiple 3 days fasts are my heroes. So hard day 2 and 3. Maybe they get better but they haven't for me.

OK lunch time over...
Summary
Day 1 Weight 142.0
Day 2 Weight 140.0 (-2.0)
Day 3 Weight 138.0 (-2.0)
Day 4 Weight 136.5 (-1.5)
Day 5 Weight 135.0 (-1.5)
Total -7.0 on day 5
jhmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #65
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Yay jhmart! Thanks for the update -- so glad that you have hit what I call the euphoria stage. Ha! Yeah, about the three day fasting--I do it because it's easy for me. I get a little empty feeling, but that's it. No cold, no headaches, no weakness, no spots.

Not sure if the fasting tolerance is just me, or if it's because my bod has gotten used to it. The reason I don't do longer fasts is because if go a long time, then I have to pay attention to coming out of it, whereas with three days, I just do a normal UD and carry on with whatever plan I'm on.

In essence I'm fasting six days in a ten day span. For me a fast day is a fast day. I didn't use to think that, but I do now. However, others may disagree--I read an article about fasting over the weekend that said severely: "You don't lose any weight the first three days." I so beg to differ (and yes, I'm factoring in water weight).

Then there's the muscle mass discussion. And so it goes.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #66
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
jhmart, pOrtia and quietnite- could you also post any kind of rebound effect, be that with hunger, weight gain or whatever? I am very curious.

I started to watch that documentary on the Science of Fasting that was on Amazon. it was OK. I actually fell asleep about half way through (not a reflection on it, just was really tired!) so I will have to watch the end and see if there was anything better. The part I saw was on a study conducted in Russia and how it resulted in a fasting clinic becoming part of their national health plan. I am vastly simplifying it of course, and it was nice to see that this documentary was PRO not con, emphasizing (in the half I saw) how disease markers (cholesterol, insulin/diabetes, blood pressure, inflammation, allergies) improved so quickly in patients. This clinic gives the patients a pleasant place to be and they are monitored every day for up to 3 weeks (yes 3 weeks water fasting). Then they have a little cafe that helps them transition back to eating with things like soup, and other light fare.

jhmart, that dream was hilarious!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #67
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
jhmart, pOrtia and quietnite- could you also post any kind of rebound effect, be that with hunger, weight gain or whatever? I am very curious.
You gain water weight and therefore scale weight when you end a fast. I believe that's universal. Other after-effects: Food tastes really, really, I mean really, good. You don't feel super hungry (fasting is an appetite killer), but you can get carried away because the food tastes really, really good (did I say that?).

For a 3/4 day fast, I usually have a small snack about two hours before my first post-fast mean, then I'm good to go. For longer fasts, I eat a couple of small meals the first day after (maybe 400 + 400+), then eat a bit more (eat lightly) the second day, then back to normal.

IMO it is absolutely imperative to go straight from a fast into the controlled WOE of your choice. Having an UUAD after a fast is about as counter-productive as it gets (particularly if you're monitoring scale weight). I've gotten lovely results in terms of no hunger and continued feelings of slimness from fluid transitions between fasting and various LC WOEs.

Quote:
I started to watch that documentary on the Science of Fasting that was on Amazon. it was OK. I actually fell asleep about half way through (not a reflection on it, just was really tired!) so I will have to watch the end and see if there was anything better. The part I saw was on a study conducted in Russia and how it resulted in a fasting clinic becoming part of their national health plan. I am vastly simplifying it of course, and it was nice to see that this documentary was PRO not con, emphasizing (in the half I saw) how disease markers (cholesterol, insulin/diabetes, blood pressure, inflammation, allergies) improved so quickly in patients. This clinic gives the patients a pleasant place to be and they are monitored every day for up to 3 weeks (yes 3 weeks water fasting). Then they have a little cafe that helps them transition back to eating with things like soup, and other light fare.
Wow, great find! That is good to hear. Having lived in countries where people fast all the time (not to mention that people have fasted for health and religious purposes since like forever), I just shrug at those who think it is dangerous (and I get annoyed when medical people recommend against it). Yes, it's not for everyone. Got it. Moving on.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #68
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/128/124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post
Hello all!!!
Zero Day Fast Day 5. OK I'm there. I'm giddy today. I started the day in a weird sense of calm which turned into so happy I'm giddy. So wow get through the 3 days and this is a cake walk. Weigh in 135.0. I'll summarize at the bottom since this is honestly shocking me how quickly you lose. One more oddity to fasting for me...the VIVID dreams. I am one who seldom remembers my dreams and wow the past few nights they are so vivid I wake up saying did that happen??? So last night LOL in my dream I was fasting and for some reason I ate a plate of chex mix and forgot I did that. I told someone I was fasting and they said no you aren't you ate chex mix. Then I was confused because I didn't remember doing that. OK the weird part of that is I never eat chex mix even when not fasting so what the heck. I should write down these dreams because wow they are something else. I get the chex mix thing is lame but that was part of a very weird chase dream as well.

Portia...yay!!! join us!! fasting buddies. So the sea salt helps with the dizziness. I also have magnesium and potassium tablets. Those help too. Although here's another weird one. Right after taking the potassium my heart starts racing. Then it settles after a couple a minutes and all is good. The smell thing is still going on. My son heated up some meat last night after I was asleep (so late). Across the house but it smelled like it was in my face so strong. I don't mind the smell thing. And agreed sick of people giving me their opinions on fasting. One lady at work told me today the minute I started eating again everything I ate would turn to fat??? Where do they get this information? I told her I'd let her know I'm not there yet. I have more fasting questions for you but I've done enough already so tomorrow.... be ready :-)

QuietNite...Fasting with you as well!! The first 3 days I was so freezing. Hot bath all that works for me. People at work though I was insane as bundled as I was inside but I could not warm up. Good luck with your fast. I am coasting now...super happy.

Nilla Latte - After day three I felt good. Today I feel amazing. People who do multiple 3 days fasts are my heroes. So hard day 2 and 3. Maybe they get better but they haven't for me.

OK lunch time over...
Summary
Day 1 Weight 142.0
Day 2 Weight 140.0 (-2.0)
Day 3 Weight 138.0 (-2.0)
Day 4 Weight 136.5 (-1.5)
Day 5 Weight 135.0 (-1.5)
Total -7.0 on day 5
Hi jmart, well done on the fasting!!
That said, I might be careful with potassium supplements. Generally when I'm in ketosis or fasting, I'll take some extra sodium or take magnesium supplements. With potassium it's a more delicate balance. Your heart racing could be a sign of over-supplementation. Often times a fasted state or ketogenic state can cause the kidneys to release a lot of sodium, which results in a foggy head. If you over-supplement potassium on top of that, the balance is way off.

Generally I don't take a potassium supplement unless I've been working out in a fasted state. I wait for a clear-cut signal that tells me I need potassium: muscle cramps. When I get these at night (foot, calf cramps) I'll take one pill. But usually I only have to do this every 3-4 nights, certainly not every day.

I'm glad the heart racing stops after a short while, but reading this I was just a bit concerned!!
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #69
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Just checking in...
After my last post, I had a huge bloat-loss whoosh down to 129.0lb! I thought it was a fluke, but the next day, as I sank back into my usual OMAD routine, my weight dropped even lower! So I'm super happy to be at my desired weight before I went back to work, and falling back into my OMAD routine has been pretty easy.

I have to admit, while I was on vacay I bought a two pairs of slim fit and skinny fit jeans. Today I wore the skinny jeans, and I was loving it. The coworker who previously asked if I had lost weight asked if I had again lost weight. I shrugged and said I hadn't; I just hadn't gained over the xmas break either. Had she seen me fresh off the airplane, it would have been a different matter, but 4 days of OMAD was enough to drop the bloat.

DH is doing ok with eating his chicken, broccoli and rice doused in hot sauce. He dutifuly worked out this evening, and I did my time on the rowing machine to help with his motivation. I'm seriously jealous, as I told him he'd easily lose his paunch if he cut out the junk and worked out for a month. I said, 'mark my words, by Feb 12th you'll be a lot happier with yourself if you stick with it.' Lucky men and their muscle mass and testosterone.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #70
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

kwerpie! That is so exciting for you! So pleased that DH is hanging tough too.

On a related note: In the old days, asking people if they had lost weight was considered by some to be a compliment. I've used the question that way myself, as a compliment. And I've had times when I actually felt wounded when people _didn't_ mention a weight loss--and corresponding times when I know I've gained and am glad no one says anything. I'm so over it. I'm fine with saying "Looking good, Francine!" But that's about it. Repeated comments are a double-edged sword, and actually kinda intrusive in an age when we've realized that defining people by their weight is not actually a good thing.

Yes, friends come up to me with joyful faces after an absence during which I've dropped down a few sizes, but they don't say "You've lost weight" as if maybe I hadn't noticed or needed external confirmation. And I love it. I love sharing my joy. And when I post about my weight loss on facebook and invite questions, I got a lot of responses and bravos, and that's great. But believe it or not, I have friends--loving relatives--who have to this day said nothing about about my almost 50% weight loss. I admire that.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #71
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

The secret to weight management:

Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #72
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I just wanted to remark that p0rtia's challenges are having such a remarkable impact on JBs. Normally, this period can see JBs reflecting on the holiday seasons with some regret but that just doesn't seem to be happening.

Yet again, admiring the photographs.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #73
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:

As always Ladies, thanks for your input! I also did a bit more internet digging last night and the suggestion to get past the flu (besides water and salt) is more fat. I think this is where I need to improve- more fat and less protein. I definitely had a lot of protein this weekend. my broccoli cheese soup is a good start but I think I need to make some fat bombs. I tried bulletproof coffee again but its just not my favorite. I'm ok with HWC in coffee but the butter and oil just doesn't do it for me. I'm planning to pick up more full fat salad dressings and liberally use oils on salads as well- cheese seems an easy solution but I don't eat just cheese (I know, I'm weird, its a texture thing I think ) so if I try to up the cheese I end up upping other macros too! I figure trying to combine low carb veggies with fats is my best bet on a few different levels. I'll see how things go.

LOL I'm the opposite. I can eat cheese by itself, but don't like it with other things. No cheese in salads, no cheese omlets.....but give me a cheese plate, and I'm in!!!!

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #74
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
kwerpie! That is so exciting for you! So pleased that DH is hanging tough too.

On a related note: In the old days, asking people if they had lost weight was considered by some to be a compliment. I've used the question that way myself, as a compliment. And I've had times when I actually felt wounded when people _didn't_ mention a weight loss--and corresponding times when I know I've gained and am glad no one says anything. I'm so over it. I'm fine with saying "Looking good, Francine!" But that's about it. Repeated comments are a double-edged sword, and actually kinda intrusive in an age when we've realized that defining people by their weight is not actually a good thing.

Yes, friends come up to me with joyful faces after an absence during which I've dropped down a few sizes, but they don't say "You've lost weight" as if maybe I hadn't noticed or needed external confirmation. And I love it. I love sharing my joy. And when I post about my weight loss on facebook and invite questions, I got a lot of responses and bravos, and that's great. But believe it or not, I have friends--loving relatives--who have to this day said nothing about about my almost 50% weight loss. I admire that.
To be honest I've always been a bit self-conscious about others noticing any loss, because in the past I have invariably put it back on. I should add that I'm fairly close to this coworker, so I didn't feel it was invasive, and she asked it as a simply question with no complimentary tone to it, as weight loss isn't always a good thing.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #75
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
Very late response to Phoenix-
yup- I am water fasting from dinner to dinner. Length of fast changes by when and how long I eat dinner

So far I'm in my 3rd day (I'm about 19 hours right now- will probably hit 25 hours today because I'm eating later than yesterday). So far I've lost 2 of the horrible holiday pudge pounds.

To be clear, I'm only giving up artificial sweeteners during my fasting hours. For right now I'm still drinking DCoke and sweetner in hot tea during my meal. But this much is HUGE for me- and so far super doable.

I agree with Slow that this challenge thread is making the after holiday time which could be terribly depressing *especially for those of us re-losing a few pounds* quite positive and hopeful.

And the lettuce brain is my favorite picture so far!
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #76
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

For the record, I am very much looking forward to lunch on Thursday. Just needed to say that.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #77
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
lettuce brain - looks like cabbage to me!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #78
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Just love the food pictures. Thank you pOrtia and for these threads...
Old 01-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #79
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130/130 Goal 2-20-18
Start Date: 08/16/17
Very quick check in. I had to do shopping for my friends baby shower during lunch so I missed my time to babble on during lunch time.

So Water Fast Day 6. Going well. Really not much to report. I feel happy and good. I like it. I am drinking a bit of no calorie powerade. I don't like the idea because so many chemicals in it. But then I do have little spells of dizziness and fogginess. This seems to help. I am diluting it with water so that is good. The rest is good with the fast as well. Oh yeah weight 133.0 WOW!. So close to goal. I definitely know I will gain a little with water and just having food back in my system so I expect that.

Kwerp...Thank you for the compliment! And good advice with the potassium. I also had it handy for the leg and foot cramps and for when I see spots every once in awhile when I get dehydrated. It does help. I will not use it anymore for fasting. It wasn't scary heartbeat but it did beat faster (like when I exercise faster) just for a few minutes. But good advice.

Phoenix Yes I will keep posting with how I break the fast and how that goes. I always wanted others to post that as well. The do you gain it all back? Do you go crazy with food? I will let you know. I will also let you know which foods I choose and do I stay in ketosis all that stuff. Did I mention my keto sticks are the darkest purple I have ever seen? I know that is ALL me fat since I am eating nothing. yay. And I am drinking a lot of water so its not like I am not hydrated. Anyways yes I will keep you posted!

Portia Good for you!!! I could not do that many fasts. But if you are more used to it like you said maybe they get easier. I just remember day 2 and 3 and think hell no...not doing that again anytime soon. I would rather continue with this fast. BUT I am close to goal and close my 7 day mark. Very proud of myself. Hope to come out of it safely and not gain too much weight other than the usual water food weight.
jhmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #80
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Good job, jhmart! Really exciting for you, and I love comparing notes.

A couple other thoughts from the long-fasting days of my youth: My experience was the usual initial drop of 3-4 lb, then about a pound a day for a week to ten days, after which things slowed down. Though I was way heavier than you when I fasted, so the lb a day thing may not last as long.

I actually believe that in terms of adipose loss, when the dust settles, you lose, in addition to the initial bloat loss, about 1/2 lb fat a day (which makes sense if you think about it in terms of whatever your maintenance calories are).

A peek at the weigh-in thread reflects weight losses I've seen fasting. I hope you'll share your bounce, if any, as well as how it goes the week after the fast. This is fascinating stuff!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:13 AM   #81
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Early Morning Greetings from Cheese Island!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 AM   #82
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Up early today. That would be the ghrelin wakefulness rearing its head, reminding me that I haven't eaten since Sunday. Feeling really good (FBG is 77), so I can sort of analyze this low-roar tummy hunger quite calmly. Hello, Mr. Ghrelin! I hear you! I know you well.

Been reading lately about ghrelin (the hormone that tells your brain you're hungry when your tummy is empty), and how ketosis / a keto diet suppresses ghrelin, thus counteracting the "the more you lose the hungrier you get" syndrome (boy, have I been there). Thinking about how it takes four days of z-fasting or keto to get into ketosis; realizing that by definition it's the suppression of ghrelin that makes the tummy hunger go away on day four -- hello jhmart! :-D

Anyway (!) I was going to report that yesterday I tried to explain to a friend why certain restaurants aren't going to work for our lunch date on Thursday. It was a hilarious text message exchange lasting more of the day. She is one of those people who knows all the cool places to eat--but apparently has no clue what a carb is. I'd say, mmm, Mexican, I love it, but it's not gonna work; she's say, maybe you could just have the soup; I'd say, it's not the calories, it's the carbs; she'd say, okay, we don't have to eat, we can just have diet soda somewhere. LOL I think I'll have to send her a basic introduction to low carb.

In the end I checked out the menu at a local Thai restaurant, and found a way to keep the low-carb faith. Thai is my favorite food on Earth, so I am psyched. Will break fast around 11 Thursday AM, then have the Thai lunch date at 1. And this (the swift return to the regular WOE) is why I do three-day fasts, despite your annoying presence, Mr. Ghrelin!

Last edited by p0rtia; 01-10-2018 at 03:35 AM..
p0rtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 AM   #83
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/151.6/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Ditto to what Slowsure said - I find this challenge and the thread so helpful.

I'm a little ticked off this morning, because I expected the scale to read differently (I know this is ridiculous, and I'm talking myself out of the internal tantrum in my mind), but on the whole, I am so much happier having returned to JUDDD. I notice that if I let my body choose when to eat, I naturally gravitate to OMAD. This morning, I thought back to a few months ago, when I followed the "You must eat six small meals a day" mantra. It didn't work for me, and I felt like a failure. WHOA. I am not the "failure". I was simply doing something that didn't work for me. Got to watch that kind of thinking.

I have dinner plans tonight, and don't intend on eating beforehand. I'm going to enjoy dinner, and shoot for a fasting day tomorrow. The discussion here reminded me of the time I did a four-day fast. Yep, days 2 and 3 were hell, but wow, I loved that day-4 euphoria!

Happy Wednesday, everyone.
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:46 AM   #84
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Alcestis wrote: 'I thought back to a few months ago, when I followed the "You must east six small meals a day" mantra.'

You and me, sistah! I have come miles away from the six-smalls and snack-when-hungry world. I eat hearty at a meal and then wait till the next one; magically, a hearty meal now fills me up, and I have no desire to eat for four or five hours. If I get hungry a few hours before the next meal, I smile at it and enjoy it, knowing I will be eating a hearty meal soon.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #85
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Early Morning Greetings from Cheese Island!

That's the kind of cheese plate I could really dig into! I wonder what the leaves are made of?

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 AM   #86
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Loving 'cheese island'.

Jenu I am really impressed by your fast. Great job.

I had a strange day yesterday. I ate a healthy cheese omelette at lunch time but then had a silly evening. I just felt drained and allowed myself walnuts and red wine, which would have been fine. But then I foolishly found the left over tortilla chips that were lurking in a kitchen drawer. Not wise.

Still, got to my lovely Zumba class this morning.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #87
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
phoenix17 - Do you have a little stick blender to whip your bulletproof coffee into shape? lol It does wonders for blending the butter and oil. I'm like you, too, that I tend to jump around if things don't seem to be working. Which is why I have such a high number of exits from JUDDD and LCF in general. I think LCHF/Keto are interchangeable terms.

p0rtia - I had to look up what "querulous" meant although I could gather what it was. What puzzles me is that people sometimes act like you're gonna die after a day of not eating. Okay, sometimes it feels like that, but still ... I did hear one of his podcasts where they talked about a guy who fasted, supervised, for a year. Not only did he lose a tremendous amount of weight, but he was healthy at the end of the year. And oh my goodness, your friend sounds identical to one I have when it comes to the suggestion on places to eat and even WHAT to eat.

jhmart - Congrats on the fasting! According to Jimmy Moore, getting through the third day is the hardest, but after that it's usually smooth sailing. I can't remember how long my longest fast was. I had pushed it beyond the 18/6. I would have loved to do a 5-day fast, but haven't tried it yet. I thought, how cool would it be to just eat on the weekends? Very cool to see your weight drop that like! Ah, and as I'm catching up, I see you're into Day 6 with more weight loss!

Alcestis - If left to my own devices, I tend to gravitate to OMAD as well. I tend to keep occupied with checking the board, Facebook, a side hobby, and .. um, some work since I'm at work during the day that on an UD it can almost be an annoyance to eat.

With all the different ways of fasting that have been mentioned, I have thought about going back to 18/6 because aside from not being able to have a couple of morning coffees, it ticks all my boxes as well as JUDDD. I've always felt like if I wasn't doing JUDDD specifically, I shouldn't be posting here. But seeing many of you doing different types of IF, it's encouraging to know if I switch I can still come here.

Monday's DD went well and as I didn't get to pop in yesterday, today is another DD. So glad to see us all rockin' and rollin'.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #88
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Weird thing happened today, the dreaded Day Three of z-fasting. The Ghrelin Gremlin went bye-bye, taking with him the low-frequency background hunger. Even before I went to tennis, I was feeling Day Four fasting euphoria--one day early.

Now, post-tennis, I am floating on the exercise endorphins, am not hungry, and am not experiencing a hint of any keto-flue symptoms or the slight drained feeling I sometimes feel on a fast. FBG was 76 at 6 AM, now it is 84. Hoolah!

I wonder if the fact that I fasted three days last week, followed by four days of moderate low carb, then immediately started this weeks three-day fast, has had an effect on my usual z-fast Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 experience. If so, I like! I half-expected even _more_ hunger or drainedness because of the extremely low number of Kcals I've consumed in the past ten day, but what has happened is just the opposite

For the record, I should state that what I'm doing now is definitely a hack, a strategy to maximize my chances of making the winter goals I've set for myself. Not my long-term WOE.

Carol: I wondered what the palm leaves are made of too. They're so perfect I thought they might be paper. But looking more closely I see that they have stems. Maybe basil leaves? No, not poofy enough for basil Anyone?

Kissa: I hope the tortilla chips were good. I can see a week of festival eating coming up in early February, and I'm making a list of carbs I want to be sure I enjoy.

'Nilla: One of the articles on fasting I read last week explained to me that you don't lose any weight/fat weight the first three days of a fast, because, ketosis, liver, glycogen! Really, I thought. So no one has ever lost weight by just reducing calories over long periods of time, because they're not in ketosis. Good to know.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #89
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Anyone? from the above post!!

The leaves look a bit like "cut-up bay leaves" to me.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #90
erinisme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 183/166.8/140
WOE: ADF
Start Date: 11/28/17
On my second DD of the week. My weigh in after my last one was up a pound and a half, which slightly irritated me but mostly i said, "huh?".
I'd like to try a 3 day fast one day but I'm still struggling with making it til dinner. just hope i'm at least back to low tomorrow. Also think i need to try to increase my fasting window.
Odd day, it's about 60 degrees warmer than it was a few days ago. going to head outside and enjoy it while I can.
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote