Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #31
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Alcestis- I have seen that documentary available on Amazon and want to watch it also. Just curious to see what they say even though I think most of us on here are familiar with all the benefits! Let us know what you think of it if you decide to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
I'm curious to know what barriers you face when fasting? I also hasten to add that z-fasting is not for everyone. I'm aware of the many cautionary statements out there about z fasting so I feel I shouldn't promote it too actively--just recount my own positive experiences.
pOrtia, it seems that at a certain point I feel dizzy/light-headed, nauseated, I get headaches, and have a feeling of general malaise sometimes with fasting. Not all the time. Most of the time I can easily go to mid-day or even mid-afternoon without feeling this way and other times it hits me by mid-morning. I've tried to track what I've been eating before fasting to see if that is an influence but I haven't tracked carefully enough. I am guessing it has all to do with carbs/blood sugar/insulin... so once I am more keto adapted, I am curious to see if I am able to fast for longer. Having said that though, these last 4 days that I have started keto, with the exception of the first day where I water/coffee fasted until dinner, I have found myself much more hungry in the mornings. I bought the keto sticks and it said I was excreting low ketones by Day 3 and today I am at moderate, but find myself quite hungry. (although today could also be due to lots more activity outside in the snow). Now that I am thinking about it, I am calling it hunger but I actually feel a little nauseated - but its that kind of stomach churning I often relate to being hungry. Huh, that's interesting.

Today I am on Day 4, dropped at least 4 lbs since I weighed this week, and it is 1 lb lower than last weeks weight on a day I assumed I was not overly water bloated. I'm cautiously optimistic but I have the weekend ahead of me as well as socializing. I think it will be ok, just need to plan my menu in advance! I have a huge pile of parsnips from my CSA that I think I will need to pass on to someone, they are way higher in carbs than I anticipated!! its a shame, I was looking forward to them. Think I will cook some up and have a bite or two and pass on the rest. I also have potatoes from the CSA- I'll have to see the optimal way to store these, would love to be able to enjoy them at some point. I do love potatoes and refuse to give them up forever. Maybe once I get a better feel for my carb sensitivity I can mix potatoes and turnips and cauliflower and eat them with lots of butter .
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #32
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
Vanilla - I am planning to focus mostly on just getting used to this woe first, then working in JUDDD rotations. Not really sure when, will just see how my progress goes and take it from there. do you stick with LCHF while rotating?
I do try to stick with LCHF while rotating. It helps immensely with the hunger. It's more manageable as opposed to when I'm having carbs. With carbs it's that puky feeling when I get hungry. I tend to stay full on LCHF during the week and have Saturday as the day I may indulge in some carbs for one meal.

p0rtia what is z-fasting?

On the fasting discussions - I had mentioned when I came back here that I had done some long stints of 18/6 fasting. I would not eat anything at 8pm and not eat or drink anything except water until 2pm the next day. I loved it although I missed having my coffee in the morning and mid-morning at work because I gotta have cream and sweetener (Stevia or EZ-Sweetz). I've said that JUDDD ticks all my boxes, but I think if given a choice, I'd do 18/6. I didn't lose weight any quicker than JUDDD being I can't seem to lose much weight regardless!

So ... those of you doing different forms of IF instead of JUDDD is it because it feels more natural?

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #33
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Hi 'nilla!

Z-fasting is short for zero-calorie-fasting. I don't use "water fasting" because I drink artificially sweetened drinks. Actually I also drink broth and might occasionally munch on a pickle, so "zero-calorie" isn't exactly accurate either. But I don't want to mislead anyone by implying that I only drink water. I am a big fan of the AS.

I actually do both IF and JUDDD. :-D Not because IF feels natural, but because 1) with 16:8 I get two extremely filling meals, 2) my metabolism gets nice long stretches of time to get its energy from stored fats, and 3) I'm happy to give my pancreas a break after many years of overuse. And also because I tolerate it well.

I like your idea of weekend carbs. I will experiment with that when I hit my goal range. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #34
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130.5/130
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 08/16/17
Water fast Day 2 check in. So down 2 pounds 140.0. I like the idea of the little drift up will make the drop feel even better. I did take a bath when I got home from work so that finally warmed me up yesterday. Today isn't as cold. Nothing really interesting to report on the fast. The smell of food at work is a bit unnerving but I am closing my office door and trying to ignore that. Yesterday I had 1 green tea in the morning and then 2 and a half liters of water. Not sure that was enough but I was sick of water so I stopped. Today I again had one cup of green tea and the 2 and half liters of water already. Portia you are right I am including the green tea so not a true water only fast. But mostly water. And I love my bubbly water from my soda stream machine. That helps with the blah taste of water. I don't feel great yet but I don't feel bad either. I feel normal (that's weird huh?)

Portia..my broth I am now realizing is not bone broth but just chicken broth. It tastes like the bone broth I have had before so I really thought it was. It is simple organic truth from Kroger Free Range fat free chicken broth. 5 calories per serving. Quite good and rich like bone broth. My other brand was 40 calories from Sprouts. They taste similar I really thought this was bone broth as well.

Phoenix... I agree I get lightheaded when I fast as well. Usually after 36 hours I get dizzy and light headed and gnawing stomach pains. The hot shower is the worst. I fear passing out in the shower actually. Today was not so bad on day 2 as it usually is for me so hoping it continues. In the past I allowed myself broth and sugar free drinks. Maybe that is the key because I haven't had any of those this time just water and plain green tea. I'll keep posting here but hoping for a nice 7 day mostly water fast with green tea.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #35
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/130/124
Hi Everyone!
I'm back. I'm jet-lagged, but I'm so ready to be back to my usual routine. The trip was good. I was scared to look at the scale today, but it's 135.6 with some bloat. I said 134ish would be a good starting point, so I'm kinda ok with it. I'm sure it'll get better. I hate the face bloat! I've noticed this in my mid-30s and just can't stand it.

DH is very fed up with the belly he has been growing since Nov 2016, so he's keen to start eating better and exercising again. I'm thrilled as this means I can throw out all the junk food in our house. Ok, I won't throw it out, but I'll happily donate it to a food bank.

Thankfully my super-fit sister and BIL were more than happy to share slow-cooker recipes and such. Previously DH has been loathe to use a slow-cooker while we're at work. He's paranoid about it starting a fire, which is just ridiculous...up until now I've put up with it, but I think everyone else convinced him. The deal is that DH cooks healthy, paleo-style low-carb meals, and I will work out with him. We need to do strength training. I'm turning 40 in 11.5 months, and I want to get rid of the flab. So I have a feeling 2018 will be a bit of a big effort for the two of us. Watch here for venting.

Glad to be back girls (and guys if they're reading?).
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #36
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Jeni, I find lemon juice in my still water transforms it. I am sipping it now. I use fresh by choice but the bottles of 'fresh lemon' juice work just fine.

Good to see you back Kwerp.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #37
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Kissa. I don't think a bit of lemon juice would hurt the fast. Unless it makes me hungry. I will try that too. I'll bet bubbly lemon water is delicious! Loving my Soda Stream!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #38
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

So pleased to see so many of us settling in after the holidays. Must be true what they say about easy come, easy go.

Here's a piccy of a zucchini and egg dish--one my my favorite DD meals as a reward!

Old 01-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #39
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Looks good, now tell us how to make it - Please!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #40
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Looks good, now tell us how to make it - Please!
I'm not sure. My sister makes them. LOL I think the idea is that eggy and zucchini, a little scallion and milk, in any combo, make an amazing meal.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #41
Kissa

I am making cauliflower cheese tonight, a very cheesy one!

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #42
erinisme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 183/173/140
WOE: ADF
Start Date: 11/28/17
Having really good DD, been feeling tired or way too sore after working out (been back at it for couple of months) so I tried eating mostly protein today. Two boiled eggs, which DH cooked perfectly) and some chicken chili I made recently. Wasn’t hungry so much as my stomach was bothering me from a diet soda I had. I think the protein was definitely way to go. Feeling pretty good. Sitting by fire drinking some water before bed. Hope everyone’s day went well
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #43
erinisme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 183/173/140
WOE: ADF
Start Date: 11/28/17
Thought you guys would get a laugh: I honestly thought you people were going on cruises all the time �� ��
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #44
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
Thought you guys would get a laugh: I honestly thought you people were going on cruises all the time �� ��
Wish we were!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #45
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

I have fallen in love with Food Art. Perhaps because it counteracts what I see as the destructive societal meme some of us have been bombarded with for decades that "foods you like are bad." Without words, food art tells us otherwise.

Also, it is so much fun to find these pix!

Old 01-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #46
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/156.2/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I love the joyful Food Art pics you share - I think they tie in perfectly with what we're all about as we explore ourselves and our ways of living well with food, rather than seeing it as our master or our enemy.

I'm still sick (this cold is taking forever to leave), and I haven't attempted a z-day yet, but will when I feel better. Yesterday was a DD, and I enjoyed some rare comfort-food of beans on toast. I might have eaten something else later on, not because I was hungry, but a little bored. However, the god of DDs intervened by giving me a frozen pipe to contend with, and after calling the plumber and mopping up the floodwaters, I wasn't hungry anymore
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #47
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
I love the joyful Food Art pics you share - I think they tie in perfectly with what we're all about as we explore ourselves and our ways of living well with food, rather than seeing it as our master or our enemy.

I'm still sick (this cold is taking forever to leave), and I haven't attempted a z-day yet, but will when I feel better. Yesterday was a DD, and I enjoyed some rare comfort-food of beans on toast. I might have eaten something else later on, not because I was hungry, but a little bored. However, the god of DDs intervened by giving me a frozen pipe to contend with, and after calling the plumber and mopping up the floodwaters, I wasn't hungry anymore
Ah yes, I know her well. The need to keep busy on DDs just inspired me to reorganize my plan for the rest of the month. I think I'm finally wising up. And they say the age of miracles has passed.

Sorry about your cold. Here's a pick-me-up for ya!

Old 01-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #48
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

The food pics are adorable!! Thanks for that Portia.

Sorry I missed my check in yesterday. Mainly because I felt like crap all day. So here are the day 3 and day 4 check in.

Day 3 Water Fast. So day 2 ended with me being more hungry than I had been. My DH was a doll and cooked dinner so I didn't have to go through that. The smells...I'm noticing smells like crazy. Super sensitive. Someone in my office had popcorn. No one around me could smell it. They were laughing at me because I could smell popcorn but sure enough at the end of the hall one girl had a bag of popcorn. So yep during water fast smell is heightened even on day 2. I was weak in the evening so I just relaxed. Made it through day 2 so on to day 3. Day 3 did I mention it was hell? I woke up so dizzy. I was seeing those bright spots that don't go away even when you close your eyes. Hate that. Electrolyte imbalance. I've been there before even just with LC. I did some Himalayan sea salt and water and felt a little better but still really weak. So my dumb ass decided to go to Zumba..love that class. I really don't like to miss it. I was fine but not energetic at all. Felt like ugh. Made it through and came home and almost passed out twice in front of DH. Not good. So more sea salt more water. Felt a little better. Was supposed to pick up DD from airport but DH decided to drive me due to the passing out thing. He is really considerate of my fast. I'll pick up the rest of day 3 on my day 4 post so I have something to talk about there LOL. But you see how this is going. Ugh day 3.

Day 4 Weight 136.5. The weight thing I guess got me through day 3 because wow that was miserable. I was weak and cold all day. Almost passed out 3 times. By that I mean where everything starts going colorless and your body just goes limp. 3 times of that nonsense. In the evening I had to cook dinner which was horrible. I wasn't hungry but kept wanting to eat. All day on day 3 I just wanted to eat. It doesn't help being a weekend so I am around the food all day. I was certain this was my last water fast day. Anyways made it through and now on to day 4. Today is fine. The weight thing is nice. I'm at a new low yay!! That helps. I also feel fine. No weak or dizzy. Not euphoric...still waiting on that but I feel good. OK DH is waiting on me to go to the store. I will hopefully be good today and be back to check in day 5 tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #49
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
hi, pOrtia!. When I was a kid, my mom would use up leftovers and create what she called "surprise plates" and she'd make the leftovers into faces, animals, etc. If my dad was working on Sunday nights, we'd have surprise plates or breakfast-for-dinner and watch The Wonderful World of Disney - we rarely got to eat in the Den on TV trays. One time we had an entire meal snacking on saltines with peanut butter and jelly!
Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #50
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

I been lookin' for ya, so thanks for checking in. :-D

Wow, jhmart, that is am epic chronicle. Thank you for posting it, though your stories of seeing spots and being so weak awakened my desire to fix it somehow, which, since I couldn't do that, made me see spots and have weak knees!

I'm sooo glad you made it day four, the magic ketosis day. Whew! You done good, woman.

The smell things is an odd sensation, isn't it? I'm not one of those people who have a great sense of smell, but man, stop eating for a few days and it's a different universe.

Good luck as you continue your program.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #51
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
hi, pOrtia!. When I was a kid, my mom would use up leftovers and create what she called "surprise plates" and she'd make the leftovers into faces, animals, etc. If my dad was working on Sunday nights, we'd have surprise plates or breakfast-for-dinner and watch The Wonderful World of Disney - we rarely got to eat in the Den on TV trays. One time we had an entire meal snacking on saltines with peanut butter and jelly!
Hi Casey! OMG, dens, TV trays, and Wonderful World. My mom didn't make leftover faces, but I'm right there with ya for the rest of it. (We're getting old).
Old 01-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #52
Kissa

Casey, I think I am in love with your Mother!

All going well here in London.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #53
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
pOrtia - I love that tangerine fish scene - that would be so cute to serve kids when they come home from school. Very clever. I hope you don't mind, but I'm saving some of the images for future reference.
Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #54
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
pOrtia - I love that tangerine fish scene - that would be so cute to serve kids when they come home from school. Very clever. I hope you don't mind, but I'm saving some of the images for future reference.
Not at all! I should have mentioned that I am shamelessly linking to random sites for the pix, or, if they need to be made smaller, editing them first and then uploading them to my photo gallery. But they are not mine.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #55
Kissa

In my eyes they are!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #56
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Hiya JBs!
pOrtia I have to agree with all the rest those pictures are precious! There are some talented people out there. I wondered if they were coming from one main source or several.

Casey- wow yeah that brought back memories for me too! we didn't have the TV trays but we were able to eat on the floor at the coffee table. My mom called her leftover plate "bubbles and squeak" which her version included just anything although often Disney night was a pizza night .

Alcestis you must be in my neck of the woods - New England. Last night my toilet froze!! woke up to -8F this morning. I'm very glad it will change this week.

My first keto weekend was a success for the most part - I am definitely getting the reduced hunger thing and skipping meals without even thinking about it. However one thing that concerns me, I am feeling quite nauseated very often (and this evening a headache also). Anyone else doing LCHF have this issue? I ended up drinking an electrolyte drink mix today (despite it containing 3 carbs!) and it helped but only temporarily. I am getting plenty of salt - at least I am pretty sure I am. and I'm drinking lots of water, I always do. I know this is probably "keto or low carb flu" but it seems to be lasting for several days. How long will this go on??? I am definitely in ketosis, I have the strips and they are either moderate or high ketones.

Other than that I have been having some fun with recipes. I sometimes forget how calming I find cooking. I kind of "get in the zone" and cook. I made a lovely cream of broccoli soup today and yesterday was experimenting with a few versatile options to incorporate in to easy meals during the week. Now all I have to do is figure out something other than sugar free jello for a treat! I really would like to avoid artificial sweeteners but not sure that will be possible. I think I'll experiment with some of the sugar alcohols out there. Somehow they seem better options than things like nutrasweet.
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #57
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/156.2/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Phoenix, I'm in CT. So relieved the temperature is inching up this week... and WOW, a frozen toilet?? I didn't even know that was possible :wow: I'm originally from the UK, and although I've been in CT for years, I'll never quite get used to the effects of winter / summer weather here.

I did LCHF for a few years and I remember "keto flu" when I started, or when I did fat fasts. In my experience, it did pass after a few days, but be gentle with yourself while your body's adjusting.

Also, I'm sure you know, but there are some amazing LC dessert recipes on this site. Linda Sue was my go-to for LC recipes. She has some terrific desserts.

POrtia, thanks for the fishy! All that Vitamin C made me feel better :haha:

I'm finally feeling human after a week of being sick. Yesterday was an UD, but I just wasn't feeling hungry. Toast and soup, and rice pudding was all I could handle. I'm about to dive into a hectic work week. I love my job, but I'm dreading a full-steam-ahead week when I'm only at half-steam.
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #58
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
I'm water fasting through the day. Yesterday was 18 hours, today will be 20 hours. Trying to get myself together after some crazy holiday feasting. Feels good to be back in control and having some success.

But I'm cold, and it's cold. I gave up my artificial sweetner in hot tea with heavy cream. so COLD!

But doing it
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #59
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
p0rtia - Thanks for explaining z-fasting. I've done complete water fasting and although doable, I prefer to add Crystal Lite or something similar. Just makes it go down easier. I used to add a little French Vanilla SF DaVinci or Torani syrup to water - made it taste like cream soda. The thing that always helped through a complete water fast was knowing my pancreas was getting a total break from any kind of insulin response. Although I think all I need to do is look at food and my pancreas starts working. Thanks for sharing your eating strategy.

erinisme - I love cruises, especially the big boat kind! I bet some lurkers are a bit curious about all the "cruises".

jhmart - What a yucky few days!! Hope you're feeling better soon.

phoenix17 - I usually have a bit of a headache when going LCFH after a stretch of being on carbs. The nausea may be just part of the "flu". Once I've gotten the carbs out there's no more nausea. Hopefully that's just what it is for you.

Friday's DD was a minor disaster. Minor in that it didn't end up being an UD, but a DD it wasn't, so I considered it a disaster. I don't think my head was in the game yet. Today's DD has gone well so far.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #60
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/201/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Kwerp, DH would never let me use the slow-cooker when we were working. I told him everyone else does it, but to no avail. I use it now that I'm retired and home most days, but it would have been so great to come home from work to a finished meal.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote