Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
p0rtia's New Year's Start-Up Challenge

Okay! So here we are, looking forward to a New Year. The holidays traditions were fun, with great food and great friends.

But the New Year comes with its own traditions--including making whatever post-holiday course corrections are needed, and to reaffirm old goals and set new ones.

So here's my question for those of us who went on a December cruise*: Are you back to your chosen WOE? Here's a thread to help those who went on a long cruise to get back on plan, and for those who only took a short cruise to tell us what they did to inspire the rest of us!

I'll start:

I had an eight-day cruise, which would have been more fun if it had not been quite so festive (make a note of that for next year: it is no fun to eat when you are already full). No damage in the weight department, but man do I feel awful when I eat a lot of carbs!

I hemmed and hawed yesterday, Jan 1, as to whether I would get back on plan or stay on the cruise, but in the end I disembarked (amazing) and fasted, so I am officially on Day 2 of Back to Plan. It feels really good.

And of course there will be pictures!

*Cruise = a vacation from your WOE when you eat in a festive way, as if on an ocean liner enjoying that amazing buffet (but in fact, you didn't actually go anywhere).

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I really didn't take much of a cruise during this holiday season, but I did have two 3 day weekends (UDs).

I'm back to EOD for now, but soon to return to 4:3 since that makes scheduling easier and works really well for me on a few different levels. I will start weighing again on a regular basis starting this evening. TOM is looming, so I doubt I'll see a nice number, but I think it won't be too horrible either. I plan to join Planet Fitness in the very near future as I want to really step up my fitness.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Thanks p0rtia for another brilliant thread. I didn't do too badly, allowed myself some of the special Xmas foods and more carbs than usual.

The weight damage has been minimal but the bloat is very visible, and it is NOT a pretty sight. I may have the courage to measure my waist tomorrow... or I may not.

Back to my ZUmba tomorrow.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
I also went on a cruise:

Started on Candy Cane Lane then went down Russell S. Road!

Way too many cookies, candy and pie!

On a good note -I got a nice big "Monthly Planner" from Boy's Town! I wrote down my weight for each day from 2017 and have room on each day to put in my current weight and the calories for each day! Such a welcome surprise from them!

Old 01-03-2018, 04:53 AM   #5
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/109/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
No cruise here - and, as ever, charmed by your picture!
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
I confess to taking a cruise the last two weeks of December in particular. Didn't overeat so much as partake of the carby traditions. I'm not sure the reason, but it seems the older we all get (meaning my family), the desserts don't disappear like they used to. Which is a good thing, but it is odd. We used to worry more about having enough desserts than dinner food.

My JUDDD schedule did, however, get thrown overboard for most of December. I haven't approached the Metal Monster and don't plan to till mid-January or so. But, my clothes didn't seem to get any tighter, so that's a good thing. But, I definitely feel the carbage bloat.

No goals as of yet, other than just getting back to it. Today is my first official DD of 2018.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Hi Folks! I've missed you . Yes I did take a cruise. well, I think it was more of a big ol' detour. Work has been just plain nuts for a long time now and I had a lot of stress. That coupled with the holidays just made it impossible to think about anything but keeping my head above water. I didn't really do too terribly- I was still skipping my breakfasts, and even managed lots of DD's but they were pretty sporadic. My weight was pretty much maintaining (meaning maintaining at the new weight gain since summer) until the last couple of weeks where it shot up a bit. I am still about 15 lbs higher than the lowest weight I had in 2017.

Anyhoo, I'm hopefully back and able to check in more regularly (I haven't even been able to read many posts!). I am feeling exceedingly gross from the carbs and sugars I've consumed lately so I have decided to give Keto/LCHF a try to really get the sugar addiction out of my system. I'm hoping to stick with it for at least a month. I am on day 2 and have slowly been either throwing out or bringing to work or elsewhere all the sugar I've received over the holidays. Happy to say that Day 1 went pretty smoothly and even fasted til dinner. I will need to work on increasing my fat intake though- I didn't quite reach the macro's I was supposed to according to the many websites I've read in the last week or so. I was only at 16 g carbs but my fat was only 50g. I figured that was OK for Day 1. I'm happy to get advice from anyone who has or regularly does LCHF!! I'm also planning to read those threads.

I hope everyone had great holidays and Happy New Year!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
I'm up pounds and I know exactly why

I want to mess around with my WOE, but I think today I'm just going to commit to EOD and see if I can get myself back to normal.

LOVE this thread! I was hoping this would continue after the holidays.
quietnite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Sounds like everyone is getting back down to business with their WOE. I didn't go on a cruise. Since I am the one doing the cooking and entertaining, I get to choose what foods are available, so other than cookies, there weren't many carbs. I got into the cookies AFTER the holidays were over, so I sent them away. LOL I am up 4 lbs, but I've done that without a holiday, so I consider it successful.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

So interesting to read everybody's experiences and thoughts. This is a reminder to me that not everybody who is trying to lower or maintain BF% is the same. Maybe some year I will try to stay on plan during my cultural festival week. Just to say I can. But I'm most interested to read people's adventures at family and work celebrations. Because I'm a binge eater (in remission), it's not particularly the parties that throw me for a loop, but the goodies I'll pack in after the party. And this weird sense that because I've loosened the reins, I'd better eat as much as humanly possible from dawn to dusk while I can--NO MATTER IF I ENJOY IT OR NOT.

So that was my observation of myself and my brain during my eight day cruise. Hence the all-caps. This is where my amateur research into the role of habit and the psychological elements of overeating has lead me, as I look for ways to keep on plan during maintenance. Maybe, if I could stop when I no longer enjoy what I'm eating, I would not ever be at risk of binging (this may seem obvious, but this is a new place for me to have arrived at).

I really enjoy eating. I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow with great pleasure (and just did my shopping!). I think that's great, and healthy. Eating is fun! Except that it actually isn't if I'm eating too much. So the thought arises that there is a difference between saying (as many have said/recommended), "Only eat when you are hungry" and "Only eat when you are actually enjoying it." I think that would go a long way toward avoiding derailments during maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I really didn't take much of a cruise during this holiday season, but I did have two 3 day weekends (UDs).

I'm back to EOD for now, but soon to return to 4:3 since that makes scheduling easier and works really well for me on a few different levels. I will start weighing again on a regular basis starting this evening. TOM is looming, so I doubt I'll see a nice number, but I think it won't be too horrible either. I plan to join Planet Fitness in the very near future as I want to really step up my fitness.
Hi Carly! I really like 4:3 too, but I've decided to do EOD for January, because my sister will be here for Feb, and that means an uptick in eatings out and fun meals, even though she does 5:2 so we will share DDs. But Jan is clearly my time to get into the mid 160s (did I just say that???).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Thanks p0rtia for another brilliant thread. I didn't do too badly, allowed myself some of the special Xmas foods and more carbs than usual.

The weight damage has been minimal but the bloat is very visible, and it is NOT a pretty sight. I may have the courage to measure my waist tomorrow... or I may not.

Back to my ZUmba tomorrow.
I'd measure after a couple of rotations and the Zumba. That said, I need to come up with a quote about not being self-conscious about a little (soon to be gone) post-festival tummy pudge. Because it's pretty much universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
I also went on a cruise:

Started on Candy Cane Lane then went down Russell S. Road!

Way too many cookies, candy and pie!

On a good note -I got a nice big "Monthly Planner" from Boy's Town! I wrote down my weight for each day from 2017 and have room on each day to put in my current weight and the calories for each day! Such a welcome surprise from them!

Sweet (both the Russel S and the planner idea)! What a great idea to use the numbers as a helpful tool rather than as a Thing To React To! Hope your DH is doing okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
No cruise here - and, as ever, charmed by your picture!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I confess to taking a cruise the last two weeks of December in particular. Didn't overeat so much as partake of the carby traditions. I'm not sure the reason, but it seems the older we all get (meaning my family), the desserts don't disappear like they used to. Which is a good thing, but it is odd. We used to worry more about having enough desserts than dinner food.

My JUDDD schedule did, however, get thrown overboard for most of December. I haven't approached the Metal Monster and don't plan to till mid-January or so. But, my clothes didn't seem to get any tighter, so that's a good thing. But, I definitely feel the carbage bloat.

No goals as of yet, other than just getting back to it. Today is my first official DD of 2018.
Great to see you getting back at it, 'Nilla! Isn't it lovely to have a clear four weeks of January stretching ahead? Good luck on the DD (or was it yesterday). Please let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
Hi Folks! I've missed you . Yes I did take a cruise. well, I think it was more of a big ol' detour. Work has been just plain nuts for a long time now and I had a lot of stress. That coupled with the holidays just made it impossible to think about anything but keeping my head above water. I didn't really do too terribly- I was still skipping my breakfasts, and even managed lots of DD's but they were pretty sporadic. My weight was pretty much maintaining (meaning maintaining at the new weight gain since summer) until the last couple of weeks where it shot up a bit. I am still about 15 lbs higher than the lowest weight I had in 2017.

Anyhoo, I'm hopefully back and able to check in more regularly (I haven't even been able to read many posts!). I am feeling exceedingly gross from the carbs and sugars I've consumed lately so I have decided to give Keto/LCHF a try to really get the sugar addiction out of my system. I'm hoping to stick with it for at least a month. I am on day 2 and have slowly been either throwing out or bringing to work or elsewhere all the sugar I've received over the holidays. Happy to say that Day 1 went pretty smoothly and even fasted til dinner. I will need to work on increasing my fat intake though- I didn't quite reach the macro's I was supposed to according to the many websites I've read in the last week or so. I was only at 16 g carbs but my fat was only 50g. I figured that was OK for Day 1. I'm happy to get advice from anyone who has or regularly does LCHF!! I'm also planning to read those threads.

I hope everyone had great holidays and Happy New Year!
'

Cruisers Anonymous -- that's what I should have called this thread! Like you I'm hoping to take advantage of January. Are you doing JUDDD as well as LCHF and IF? I am doing LCHF myself, though I have a simple approach: keep it under 50 carbs (no more than 70 on eating-out days) and eat lots of protein. The fat part seems to thus take care of itself, as I also cap calories (at 1800 currently for UDs). What was it you were worried about? 16 g carbs = 64 cals, 50 g fats = 450 cals, so you were either on a DD or you ate a lot of protein!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post
I'm up pounds and I know exactly why

I want to mess around with my WOE, but I think today I'm just going to commit to EOD and see if I can get myself back to normal.

LOVE this thread! I was hoping this would continue after the holidays.
Good to see ya, qt! I think it's a good approach to get back into some plan--any plan--and then start to tweak, if you like. That's what I've been doing this week (which is of course why I think it's a good idea!). Hope you are able to get into your routine: it's amazing how difficult it looks from the outside looking in, but once you're in, it gets so much easier. I remind myself of that every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Sounds like everyone is getting back down to business with their WOE. I didn't go on a cruise. Since I am the one doing the cooking and entertaining, I get to choose what foods are available, so other than cookies, there weren't many carbs. I got into the cookies AFTER the holidays were over, so I sent them away. LOL I am up 4 lbs, but I've done that without a holiday, so I consider it successful.
Congrats on staying Home for the Holidays I forgot to eat cookies this holiday season. Too late now! Maybe some low-carb black-bean brownines my next UD.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130.5/130
Start Date: 08/16/17
Hi Portia,
I'm all ready for your challenge. I was hit or miss in December. Had several Christmas parties and managed to stay low carb eating but then the drinks... So there's that for the holidays. I have given up beer and I LOVE beer. Havent had one since October 14th to be exact. I am sad to be seeing 140 again but really did not gain much per the scale over the holidays. New years eve was very fun playing rock band and drinking vodka and 5 calorie cranberry juice.

OK down to business. Today is an up day. So day 0. Tomorrow is day 1 of my planned water fast. I will do water and tea and bone broth only if I think I need it. I will report into this thread which will keep me accountable and also will give my progress on the fast. I have found reading other's water fast diaries is so motivational so hopefully if I get good results it will help. Also I may need advice or encouragement. You ladies are awesome for that!!! I haven't done an extended fast since high school.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post
Hi Portia,
I'm all ready for your challenge. I was hit or miss in December. Had several Christmas parties and managed to stay low carb eating but then the drinks... So there's that for the holidays. I have given up beer and I LOVE beer. Havent had one since October 14th to be exact. I am sad to be seeing 140 again but really did not gain much per the scale over the holidays. New years eve was very fun playing rock band and drinking vodka and 5 calorie cranberry juice.

OK down to business. Today is an up day. So day 0. Tomorrow is day 1 of my planned water fast. I will do water and tea and bone broth only if I think I need it. I will report into this thread which will keep me accountable and also will give my progress on the fast. I have found reading other's water fast diaries is so motivational so hopefully if I get good results it will help. Also I may need advice or encouragement. You ladies are awesome for that!!! I haven't done an extended fast since high school.
And here you are! LOL Thanks sooo much for posting here. As I said in the chat thread, I'm full of advice. The first hurdle will be to discover whether or not your blood glucose is going to drop enough so that you feel awful. That can be late the first day or anytime the second day. If the bone broth doesn't restore your energy, that may be a deal-breaker. You should have a _lot_ of energy on afternoon of the first day, and into the second day if your bg doesn't drop.

For comparison, I'll reiterate that I am very lucky in that I tolerate zero-cal fasting very well. Hunger on days two and three is the only issue I face. I don't curtail my exercise at all. I do drink the power zero electroyte water as well as broth--not bone broth, cause, calories, but veggie broth + low sodium chicken bouillon. On those rare occasions where I feel a bit nauseated, I'll have pickles or celery or something else with minor cals. (Hey it works for me!) At this point, I consider anything under 50 cals a day as z-fasting. In terms of the psychology, I have found that it is very important to have a post-fast plan, including capping cals the first and second day back eating.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
So interesting to read everybody's experiences and thoughts. This is a reminder to me that not everybody who is trying to lower or maintain BF% is the same. Maybe some year I will try to stay on plan during my cultural festival week. Just to say I can. But I'm most interested to read people's adventures at family and work celebrations. Because I'm a binge eater (in remission), it's not particularly the parties that throw me for a loop, but the goodies I'll pack in after the party. And this weird sense that because I've loosened the reins, I'd better eat as much as humanly possible from dawn to dusk while I can--NO MATTER IF I ENJOY IT OR NOT.

Cruisers Anonymous -- that's what I should have called this thread! Like you I'm hoping to take advantage of January. Are you doing JUDDD as well as LCHF and IF? I am doing LCHF myself, though I have a simple approach: keep it under 50 carbs (no more than 70 on eating-out days) and eat lots of protein. The fat part seems to thus take care of itself, as I also cap calories (at 1800 currently for UDs). What was it you were worried about? 16 g carbs = 64 cals, 50 g fats = 450 cals, so you were either on a DD or you ate a lot of protein!

I occasionally do that as well pOrtia. I'm a part time binger. I think that is what I did the week between Xmas and New Years- I tried to eat all the carbs and sugar to get rid of it. how stupid is that?

as for my woe "plan" (such as it is) I am going to focus on getting in to ketosis this first week while doing my usual daily skipping breakfast (or longer if it happens naturally like yesterday). I am worried that if I let myself get too hungry at first, I will cheat with carbs since they somehow always seem to be so dang convenient! I want to eventually start the rotations again because I like DDs. I expect I'll do 4:3 like I had been. However with all of my reading, I wanted to try to increase my healthy fat intake and give real keto a try. That means I should be trying to get 80% of my calories from fat if I am understanding this correctly. I ordered keto strips and should have them today so won't start any sort of real rotating until I know I'm firmly in ketosis and comfortable with my food choices. Anyway- thats the current plan. such as it is....
Old 01-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #14
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the detail, sistah phoe! *hugs* This reminds me to go try out a keto strip. Last time I used one after a three day fast, it showed very little change. Weird. Or bum strips. And I'm curious to know what healthy fats are? Hopefully coconut is on the list....
Old 01-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Port - dh is doing better then in Oct. goes to a new clinic and new dr this month - thanks so very much for asking!

I am hanging in there - fighting the same few pounds as always it seems.

The good thing about Oct. I liked the way I looking at 108.5# - but hard to get to it for me!

I should not complain as I fit in about 90% of the jeans I have!

For me main lane is no different then any other days - sometimes I am up and then down once again. I originally wanted to be 115, but when 112 found me I was happy with it. Now I am not sure

Thanks for always starting these threads - enjoy them so very much.

When I see your name here I think of "Port Wine"

Take care everyone, we can and will be doing our very best!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #16
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Still on programme - I'm so pleased as I'm wretched at taking supplements and such.

Additional exercise is going well so far tho' it's very early days.

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #17
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/156.2/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Thanks for the new challenge! It's a DD AND a snow day here, and I'm getting over a cold. Planning a lazy day of reading, writing, and sleeping. Perfect day for fasting
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #18
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
And I'm curious to know what healthy fats are? Hopefully coconut is on the list....
I'm wondering about this, too. I'm thinking it includes things like butter, avocado, nuts but not ice cream. LOL

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #19
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm going to bob in and say that "healthy fats" can vary from one person to another. Some fats give me a skin breakout. Some people, and I think Leo41, is one of them, have reported that coconut oil was associated with a substantial increase in LDL.

Whatever people think of various cholesterol particles, an increase in LDL is one thing that tends to trigger stern discussions about statins. And, interestingly, when affected people stopped coconut oil and switched to another fat, the LDL levels dropped down again.

It all depends what suits you and what any potential outcomes might be.

ETA: See reasonable overview by David Derbyshire in the Guardian: Coconut oil: are the health benefits a big fat lie? (July 2017)

Nice piece about keto diet and saturated fats (iirc) by FS of the blog Low Carb Dietitian:
Lipid Changes on a Very-Low-Carb Ketogenic Diet: My Own Experience

CoI Statement by me: I naturally run very high cholesterol levels, stupidly high, but my ratios are immaculate because of my HDL. That said, see Dayspring's site (referenced above in LCD) for more recent research that questions beliefs about protective HDL levels.

[/bob in]

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-04-2018 at 07:36 AM..
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #20
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
phoenix17 - If you only had 50g of fat, it must have been very much due to what you ate in the way of veggies or very lean meat. Are you going to JUDDD or just focus on keto for awhile? If the latter, add more yummy fats - coconut oil, avocado, butter (Kerrygold )full fat cream cheese and cheese, full fat yogurt, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, etc. Some have carbs, but usually it's only a couple and worth every yummy bite. I even have fat on DDs, just less of it. Protein has never filled me up, but fat is much better for me, mainly in the way of coffee with HWC.

p0rtia - Loved and can relate to your post, especially the "no matter if I enjoy it or not". Been guilty of that so many times. It boggles the mind why the simple act of fueling our bodies has dissolved into countless diet books, plans, podcasts, infomercials, message boards, etc. Why we feel the need to eat as if we're going to starve to death in a couple of days if we don't.

DD went well yesterday. Didn't track the calories as I totally forgot to, but I eat pretty routinely on DDs so I'm sure it was right at 500 or a tad lower. I have to say, some of the stress I didn't feel over the holidays was due to the challenge threads and the JB's. Typically, I would have felt defeated knowing I was either eating stuff I shouldn't and/or not sticking to my schedule. I can't say I won't at some point feel defeated if the weight doesn't come off and head for the hills. But for now, it's a win for me not to stress about it.

Today's UD won't be as lower carb as I'm aiming for, but just getting back to my schedule is the main thing I want to focus on for the next couple of weeks.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130.5/130
Start Date: 08/16/17
Day 1 Water fast check in. I have done a bunch of 36 hour liquid fasts on JUDDD so day 1is not really an issue. So far I have had one green tea and about 2L of water. I got the soda stream for Christmas and I love it. So I made bubbly water in the morning before work. Now I am at work wishing I could make bubbly water instead of plain. But my head is good. Day 1 is never an issue, it is day 2 for me that is the killer. Work is so stressful I really find myself wanting to be at home to do this. My main complaint right now is that I am freezing which happens to me all the time when doing even DD. So I have a shirt, second shirt, sweater, jacket, hat, gloves, and hand warmer packs in the gloves oh and blanket on top. I work in an office (in Houston) so this is pathetic. The one thing that does work to warm is hot baths. I cant do that at work. So my weight is awful today. 142.0 highest I've been in awhile. I had salty food all day on my UD yesterday so it kind of makes sense. So day 1 is fine so far. I'll be back to check in tomorrow. Thanks for all of the tips Portia. I agree the minimal calories to get through if I need them. My bone broth is fat free 5 calories so it is minimal as well.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #22
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm going to bob in and say that "healthy fats" can vary from one person to another. Some fats give me a skin breakout. Some people, and I think Leo41, is one of them, have reported that coconut oil was associated with a substantial increase in LDL.

It all depends what suits you and what any potential outcomes might be.

<respectfully snipped>

CoI Statement by me: I naturally run very high cholesterol levels, stupidly high, but my ratios are immaculate because of my HDL. That said, see Dayspring's site (referenced above in LCD) for more recent research that questions beliefs about protective HDL levels.
Thank you as always for your informed thoughts, "bob" .
I had skimmed the issue when I got my recent lab results, and read that coconut oil/butter was supposed to be great for HDL. Reading further today, I see that there is a widespread opinion (which you have pointed to in the bolded sentence above)

My recent lab result showed a crazy high HDL (82 mg/dL) and crazy low Triglycerides (59), which I thought might be due to either coconut or lchf in general. BUT-- my LDL was also up (86--up 10) as was TC (166). If I understand what I've just read about the ratio (TC/HDL), mine is in the middle of okay. I will keep an eye on this in the coming year.

These days, its seems the more one looks to learn, the more varied information one finds. I think I have to go with how I feel (fantastic) and the lab results. Slow changes, after due consideration.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #23
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
When I see your name here I think of "Port Wine"
The magic of language. When I chose this nick many years ago (I use it in a lot of places), I saw it as combining my love of justice (Portia) with my rotund personal shape, reflect both in the word "port" as in "portly" and the 0, as in my shape!

Quote:
Still on programme - I'm so pleased as I'm wretched at taking supplements and such.

Additional exercise is going well so far tho' it's very early days.
Saw your downtick in the check-in thread. Hope it is working for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
Thanks for the new challenge! It's a DD AND a snow day here, and I'm getting over a cold. Planning a lazy day of reading, writing, and sleeping. Perfect day for fasting
Hope you survived the show--getting reports from friends to the north who are being blasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post
Day 1 Water fast check in.... Day 1 is never an issue, it is day 2 for me that is the killer. Work is so stressful I really find myself wanting to be at home to do this. My main complaint right now is that I am freezing which happens to me all the time when doing even DD. So I have a shirt, second shirt, sweater, jacket, hat, gloves, and hand warmer packs in the gloves oh and blanket on top. I work in an office (in Houston) so this is pathetic. The one thing that does work to warm is hot baths. I cant do that at work. So my weight is awful today. 142.0 highest I've been in awhile. I had salty food all day on my UD yesterday so it kind of makes sense. So day 1 is fine so far. I'll be back to check in tomorrow. Thanks for all of the tips Portia. I agree the minimal calories to get through if I need them. My bone broth is fat free 5 calories so it is minimal as well.
Good job, jhmart! Hey, the high weight today will make the drop to come all the more satisfying. And point me to your bone broth (unless you make it yourself?). All the ones I found were over 100 cals per serving.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #24
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

I don't think I have to answer the healthy fat question now as you all did it for me in such a good way! but yeah I was thinking things like coconut oil or avocados, good ol' butter of course. I am using a lot of dairy fat but I actually want to try to reduce that as I think that dairy is not my best friend. But one step at a time- first get used to this and then reduce dairy. I've been using heavy cream in my coffee and in cooking, lots of butter (thats the easiest and most pleasant part of this woe!!), and some cheese as well. I have to say, I have been making and enjoying some really delicious meals!! I've already dropped 4 lbs of water weight (no surprise there of course) and generally feel pretty good. Except this morning I had a major bout of dizziness with a little stomach upset so I drank down some electrolytes and it seemed to fix me right up.

Vanilla - I am planning to focus mostly on just getting used to this woe first, then working in JUDDD rotations. Not really sure when, will just see how my progress goes and take it from there. do you stick with LCHF while rotating?

pOrtia- what IS your plan right now? are you doing the longer fasts or eod or LCHF? or all of the above?

jhmart- oh a hot bath is wonderful with the chills, isn't it? My house does not have nice tubs and I so miss my hot baths... sigh...

PACarolSue- funny you said that about not ice cream because if i am going to be enjoying so much heavy cream I was thinking I could make my own low carb ice cream!! Or maybe Enlightened or Halo Top might fit in to low carb? not sure I'll have to check it out next time in the store.

Slow- thanks for the reference to the flax rolls in the daily chat thread, I'm definitely going to look that up.

The snow has slowed down a lot but I can still hear the gusting wind out there. There is at least a foot of snow out my door but the wind is causing huge drifts. I am so dreading clearing my long driveway in that but the news even advises- clear it out tonight because tomorrow morning is going to be absolutely FRIGID in the negative numbers and with a wind chill on top of it. Sigh- good exercise...good exercise... yeah that's it....
Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #25
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't think I have to answer the healthy fat question now as you all did it for me in such a good way! but yeah I was thinking things like coconut oil or avocados, good ol' butter of course. I am using a lot of dairy fat but I actually want to try to reduce that as I think that dairy is not my best friend. But one step at a time- first get used to this and then reduce dairy. I've been using heavy cream in my coffee and in cooking, lots of butter (thats the easiest and most pleasant part of this woe!!), and some cheese as well. I have to say, I have been making and enjoying some really delicious meals!! I've already dropped 4 lbs of water weight (no surprise there of course) and generally feel pretty good. Except this morning I had a major bout of dizziness with a little stomach upset so I drank down some electrolytes and it seemed to fix me right up.
I go for coconut butter, avocado, cheese (feta, cream, and, um, blue), eggs. Currently I stick with a margarine spread (half the cals), but I will move to butter when I hit goal range. Right now, having butter in the house is a bad idea. I crave it like I crave coconut--but I unlike coconut I have to put it ON something.

Congrats on the nice scale drop. It beats a bunch in the nose.

Quote:
pOrtia- what IS your plan right now? are you doing the longer fasts or eod or LCHF? or all of the above?
So glad you asked. Like many of us, I've been gathering my thoughts this week. Did a three day z-fast, started EOD today. Bottom line: I am hoping to see c. 165 by the end of the month, so I'm turning up the heat. I enjoy the three-day z-fast a lot--it's painless for me and it's short enough that there are no metabolic changes to speak of--and I really love the UD that follows (what a high). So, weird though it sounds, I'm thinking of doing M-W fast, UD DD UD DD, repeat for the next three weeks. That's not eating a lot, but I'm curious to see what it feels like. Time to make a move.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #26
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

I really want to find a way to do longer zero fasting. I've gone about 24 hours (dinner to dinner essentially so maybe not even quite 24) but I just can't seem to push past that 24h wall. Yet. I bow down to you and the other JBs that can do this!

pOrtia are you repeating your 3d zero, with 2 additional DDs every week? or is that what you are thinking of doing? how many calories would that be per week? and sounds like you would be going from a DD to a 3 day fast? What are your DD calories? yeah just worrying on your behalf but I suppose some of those sustained very low calorie diets only do 800/day x 7d so 5600 per week... sorry just thinking "out loud" and curious about your experiment.

as for my scale drop, I KNOW its all water based on my consumption the several days prior but I'm happy to see it too. even water weight drop is motivating! and so is the idea of a potential beach vacation next month
Old 01-05-2018, 05:24 AM   #27
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
I am under 120 today which is my happy weight. I saw 125 on Dec 26th after the Xmas 'binge', so it is very good to be back around 120 again.

I am juggling things around not strictly JUDDD, rather like p0rtia, I have longer fasts now and again but I do stick to LC these days, now that the holiday food has gone. I have really cut out all sugar of any type, even to the extent of only having berry fruits.

Seems we are all knuckling down after the holiday season. Thanks for these threads p0rtia, they have been so helpful.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:37 AM   #28
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

How is Your New Year Progressing?

Are You Hatching New Ideas?

Old 01-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #29
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/156.2/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Blizzard is over, but I don't even want to go outside in these frigid temperatures. I'm interested in seeing the ways we tweak JUDDD and/or LC to work for us. POrtia, I think I did a 3-day fast ONCE in my life, but that was in the days before JUDDDing, so maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal now. Either way, I salute you, and am interested to see how your new plan works out.

Has anyone seen "The Science of Fasting"? It's on Amazon Prime, so I might watch it today, since I'm still a sick puppy
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:50 AM   #30
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I really want to find a way to do longer zero fasting. I've gone about 24 hours (dinner to dinner essentially so maybe not even quite 24) but I just can't seem to push past that 24h wall. Yet. I bow down to you and the other JBs that can do this!
I'm curious to know what barriers you face when fasting? I also hasten to add that z-fasting is not for everyone. I'm aware of the many cautionary statements out there about z fasting so I feel I shouldn't promote it too actively--just recount my own positive experiences.

Quote:
pOrtia are you repeating your 3d zero, with 2 additional DDs every week? or is that what you are thinking of doing? how many calories would that be per week? and sounds like you would be going from a DD to a 3 day fast? What are your DD calories? yeah just worrying on your behalf but I suppose some of those sustained very low calorie diets only do 800/day x 7d so 5600 per week... sorry just thinking "out loud" and curious about your experiment.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I love the 3-day z fast, because I can end at noon on Day 4 it and move smoothly onto a UD without experiencing any metabolic weirdness. I'm doing 1800/400 EOD, so that would be 4400 cals a week. If I can do that without loss of energy or excessive hunger, it would be incredible. Worth the try. I'm socking back the protein, though. That's what these week has evolved into (I'm on the Day 5 DD today and feel great). If it works, I'll try to do it for three more weeks. If the z-fasts start to make me unusually hungry, I will switch (I don't like hungry). Or up my UD cals. In my head I'm calling this Uber-JUDDD. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I am under 120 today which is my happy weight. I saw 125 on Dec 26th after the Xmas 'binge', so it is very good to be back around 120 again.

I am juggling things around not strictly JUDDD, rather like p0rtia, I have longer fasts now and again but I do stick to LC these days, now that the holiday food has gone. I have really cut out all sugar of any type, even to the extent of only having berry fruits.
Saw your great number on the weigh-in thread. Yay! I love watching your maintenance pattern, and reading your thoughts about it. LC is amazing. I ate a lot over Christmas, but I also played a lot of tennis and should have felt great--I am convinced that the achy-ness I experienced was the reintroduction of carbs.

Hope everybody has a good day!