Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Fung Style Fasting *** January 2018

Happy New Year, everyone! Wow... 2018. I can hardly believe it.
We didn't have a December thread but carried on with the November one.
Here is a brand new thread for a brand new year. Wishing us the best year yet full of healthy fasting.

I'm sitting here with my tummy growling and I am loving it. A great way to start the New Year! I hope to have only water and green tea today until 6 pm then will have a salad and a small portion of grilled salmon.

“The basics of good nutrition can be summarized in these simple rules. Eat whole, unprocessed foods. Avoid sugar. Avoid refined grains. Eat a diet high in natural fats. Balance feeding with fasting."
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 01-01-2018 at 11:09 AM..
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Thanks for the new thread Jan!

I am plugging along. I mentioned in the last thread that I am using an app called Vora and focusing on fasting length rather than eating window. So far so good. I was up several pounds that I managed to drop between the 27th and yesterday to put me back in my usual weight range. Now on to 'new' pounds.

Happy New Year to all my faster friends!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
Found you!

Thanks for starting the new thread.

I'll be fasting from about 8 p.m. tonight until either 5 p.m. tomorrow or 5p.m. the next day. It's my first day back to eating like a human instead of an insane Christmas elf, so I'm going to follow my body to tell me what it needs.

Last edited by quietnite; 01-01-2018 at 02:20 PM..
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #4
CreamCheese
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CreamCheese
Hi! I'm jumping on the fasting wagon with you guys. I had only black coffee, tea, and water during my fast today and did a 4-hour eating window.

2017 was a tough year, going through the illness and loss of a beloved parent. By the middle of the year I had gained about 9 lbs from stress, but did manage to lose it by the end of the year. All during the year I kept starting various strategies like low-carb, keto, PSMF, 4:3, etc., but couldn't manage to keep anything going long term, especially if it involved any special food prep or too much deprivation.

After doing lots of reading, I started easing into 19:5 the past few weeks and it does feel like something I can stick to long term. I had pretty much given up almost all sweeteners in my coffee and tea a few months ago, but still have been using cream, nutpods, or MCT powder as creamers in my coffee. I finally decided to kick out all the creamers before my eating window begins, starting today. Fasting seemed easier today, and black coffee didn't taste too bad to me now since I've been tapering down the creamers.

I hope this year to see the same good health results from fasting that you guys are seeing. It has already helped a lot with reducing appetite. If I can lose 50 lbs this year too, that will be a bonus!

Good luck to all the fasters this year!
CreamCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome Cream Cheese!

I lost a parent this year too. It is hard. I picked up 10-12 lbs in the 2 months after (which coincided with the holidays). I didn't think it was stress at the time, but looking back maybe that was at least part.

I have just been doing black coffee (and water) during my fasts also. Creamers were never a big deal to me (I like them, but I like plain black too), but AS is what took some adjustment. I only drink diet soda during my eating window now.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Cream Cheese
Losing a loved one is the toughest Lost my Dad many years ago and I still miss him every day. He was my rock.
You too, Gina

I usually put a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee but during fasting I only drink green tea or water... most of the time anyway.

DH suggested we go to a movie today, but I hope we can wait a few days so I can keep fasting. I still haven't mastered a movie without popcorn which is why we hardly ever go anymore.

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Thank u for the new thread!

My heart hurts for those who lost a parent. My mom is going into surgery today and she's high risk so my nerves are shot. I pray she will be able to survive and then recover.

I will fast today 16:4 maybe and then we travel soon.

Come Jan 8 I have an extended fast I am planning on as soon as I can get into ketosis. Takes me a about 2-3 days. I will hopefully be caring for my elderly mother and fasting will give me the energy to do so.

When I do eat, I will strive to be very keto with 20 carbs or less. My goal is to lose another 12 or more and improve my lipids

Have a great day....glad to see people here!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
DH suggested we go to a movie today, but I hope we can wait a few days so I can keep fasting. I still haven't mastered a movie without popcorn which is why we hardly ever go anymore.
We went to the movies yesterday. It was during my eating window so I enjoyed the big diet soda. Popcorn isn't a big deal to me, but I had 4 chocolate covered raisins and 4 malt balls (I did count them ).
Old 01-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
Hi, everyone. Made my fast only 14 hours then picked up something while in the teacher's room. I'm going to just move on and let today be a DD with a small meal this evening- no other eating until then. Then trying for an 8-8 24 hour fast tomorrow. With a larger UD meal to break the 24 fast. I like sticking with JUDDD and yet making my fasting windows as long as I can. I'm trying to work up to a 42 hour fast with one day being a DD that I don't eat at all.

So today is ehh- but so much better than over the holiday break. Baby steps.

Cathy
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Hope all is going well with your Mom today, Stevie.
Sending healing vibes your way.

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #11
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15
Hi all,

Sorry to be gone so long and be such a flake. I'm on medication that causes weight gain, and I am sad to admit it. Of course, here I am in the new year, trying to lose weight.

Anyway, I made it fasting until about 6:30 or 7:00 p.m. yesterday.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome back Key Tones.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

KT, great to see you! Hope the medication is helping and you continue to keep in touch.

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15
Thanks!!

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #15
CreamCheese
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I definitely feel for all of you who have also lost a parent or are dealing with your parent's illness.

Before my father's health and mental function started to decline, he might have been willing to try this fasting journey with me. He was always up for trying various novel health techniques back in the day, like nutritional supplements, exercise, and even vegetarianism several years ago because people thought that could help ward off heart disease. The sweet tooth always had a firm hold on him though, and he always carried his stevia with him for iced tea when eating out; he couldn't even stand the taste of plain water. He could never seem to pass up the sweets that would inevitably be around at family gatherings despite having t2 diabetes and heart issues and having me encouraging low-carb eating. (I was often frustrated at not being able to convince family members not to bring him delicious sugary desserts that would spike his blood glucose, which he could never resist. We seem to be a family of refined carb addicts.) I am grateful that he was able to live over 20 years longer than both his parents did because of his commitment to a healthy lifestyle and exercise when he was mobile. Although I appreciate the time we had together, I can't help but think that if he had been exposed to Dr. Fung's information several years ago, he might have been able to extend his healthy years even longer.

I'm really enjoying the fasting lifestyle now. It is my hope that if this ends up working well for me I can turn some of my other family members onto it too. Here's to a healthy 2018 for all of us!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #16
Princessbrendag
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessbrendag
Stats: 194/128/130 or Less
WOE: Maintenance My Way
Start Date: September 6th 2016
I'm in maintenance and doing OMAD/LC on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and OMAD/HC on Tuesday and Thursday and on the weekend I Splurge.

Popcorn is my weakness and that's why I only go to the movies on my Splurge day!!!

-64 POUNDS

Weight Loss Journey Link
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=884343

Maintenance Journal Link
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888201
Princessbrendag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Hi fasters. A quick drive by as we have to hit the road. My mom made it through cranium surgery. Let the healing begin and pray for no more bleeding.

Talk to you all in a few days!!! I shall be way ready to fast. lol
Old 01-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130.5/130
Start Date: 08/16/17
Hello...I am currently a JUDDDer but planning my first extended fast since starting this WOE. Doing JUDDD I have done several alternate day fasts (so 36 hour) on my down days. Every time I tried to go an extra day I found it unbearable and gave in at the end of day 2. Now my head is where it needs to be and I am declaring my intentions here and on the JUDDD board so I will be accountable for this fast. I am planning 7 days but will adjust if needed. Tomorrow will be day 1. Today will be LC and I am already in ketosis so hopefully these first 2 days go OK. I have read Dr Fungs site and have listened to his podcasts which are amazing. So fasting is hopefully a way to heal and to keep my head in the right spot until I can hit my goal.
So day 0 before the fast weight 139.5. I feel good and I think this is doable.
Wish me luck. Anyone else extended fasting? I would love the company
Old 01-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #19
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
So happy to see this Board. I like hearing of experiences. I am really missing my artificial sweetener in green tea today. I was using AS until I read Gin Stephens' book last night, Delay, Don't Deny. I have found that reading is a huge motivator for sticking with a WOE. My low carb journey was 6 years ago and I have regained some of the weight. I also learned that working from home made low carb way easier six years ago as I did not have to pack a breakfast or lunch. So, OMAD is easier now that I must go to an office. Tonight, I plan to start reading "The Complete Guide to Fasting" by Jimmy Moore and Jason Fung.

Last edited by TBipp; 01-03-2018 at 11:56 AM..
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

So day 1 water fast check in. My weight is high ugh 142.0. Feeling good so far. Right now this is no different than my alternate day fasts so tomorrow will be the challenge. I'm very cold. I guess that will be a thing for me trying to stay warm. I'll be back tomorrow for day 2 check in.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #21
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Hi fasters. A quick drive by as we have to hit the road. My mom made it through cranium surgery. Let the healing begin and pray for no more bleeding.

Talk to you all in a few days!!! I shall be way ready to fast. lol
Wonderful news! May the healing process progress with no issues.
Take care of yourself too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
So happy to see this Board. I like hearing of experiences. I am really missing my artificial sweetener in green tea today. I was using AS until I read Gin Stephens' book last night, Delay, Don't Deny. I have found that reading is a huge motivator for sticking with a WOE. My low carb journey was 6 years ago and I have regained some of the weight. I also learned that working from home made low carb way easier six years ago as I did not have to pack a breakfast or lunch. So, OMAD is easier now that I must go to an office. Tonight, I plan to start reading "The Complete Guide to Fasting" by Jimmy Moore and Jason Fung.
Hi TBipp, welcome! Reading is a great motivator for me too. I do OMAD most days with a 36 or 48 thrown in but not often enough. I am re-reading the Complete Guide to Fasting as well. I LOVE Dr Fung!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post
So day 1 water fast check in. My weight is high ugh 142.0. Feeling good so far. Right now this is no different than my alternate day fasts so tomorrow will be the challenge. I'm very cold. I guess that will be a thing for me trying to stay warm. I'll be back tomorrow for day 2 check in.
I hear a lot of fasters/JUDDDers say they get very cold so I think it goes with the territory. Be sure to let us know how day 2 goes! They say if you can get through TWO it only gets easier.

And laugh a lot!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #22
agatha1939
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: agatha1939
Stats: 240/216/120
WOE: LC, 1200 cal/day, IF-OMAD
Start Date: Oct 2017
Is eating OMAD everyday safe/healthy?

Hi everyone, I just found this thread and believe itís about IF, is that correct? I am a member on Diet Doctor website and watched many videos about IF, including Dr Fungís ones. I started OMAD 3 weeks ago just by chance, my mom is visiting me from abroad for a month and I wanted to be able to eat whatever she prepared without hurting my diet too much, so I decided to one meal per day only (dinner).

So far itís working very well for me, even all the high carb foods Iím eating this month. I started OMAD 11-Dec at 224.2 lb and today I weighed 217.8 lb and itís not being very difficult to wait and eat only once a day (I have dinner at 4 pm). I am now considering continuing OMAD ďforeverĒ, but back to low carb food once my family leaves, I just donít know if eating OMAD everyday is considered safe/healthy, does anybody have any information about this?

Iím in love with this Forum, so much info and support about LC and weight loss... thanks everybody!
agatha1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #23
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Water Fast Day 2 check in. First off my weigh in was 140.0 so 2 pounds gone. My scale that weighs tenths said 139.6 but I use the other one so I will stick with that.
So far so good with the fast. Really nothing interesting which is really good for me. I amused to feeling light headed dizzy and disoriented on day 2. Didn't get that today. YAY! So I don't feel either good or bad. I feel normal and that's a pretty good feeling. I'm curious how much water I should be drinking, but I will figure that out as I go. I did 2 and a half liters yesterday and 2 and half liters already today so I am doing better today.

JayLynn...agreed I get cold when I fast. I haven't extended fasted since high school so maybe this goes away? I have heard day 3 is the worst so once I get through that I am hoping to be home free. That's why I planned a 7 day fast. If I make it through day 3 I might as well continue. I think Dr. Fung or Megan even suggested that why not go a little longer if you make 3 days. I like it.

Hi Agatha and welcome. I listen to Dr Fung on his podcasts and have read his website but not the book yet. From what Dr Fung and Megan say...they say OMAD will work for awhile but in the end it is bad for your metabolism. They encourage when you are fasting just fast water only and otherwise you should be feasting on good healthy foods including healthy fats. That's what they have preached on the podcasts so if the book is different and encourages OMAD I may be advising you wrong. From what I heard on the podcasts it is better to completely fast for like 36 hours and then feast the next day? I'll let the other Fungers give advice as well but the podcast definitely advised against limiting yourself on eating days.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #24
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all...back from Palm Springs. Went way too fast. My mom is still in the hospital as she has a few ups and downs. She woke up to her eyes swollen shut too. Probably normal fluid retention from her skull being opened! UGH! Anyway, YEAH we have some people here!

Will pop in soon after I get unpacked and such. Ready to get this fasting going! I should be in ketosis by Sunday. Will mix things up with 23:1, 16:8, and maybe a longer 46 hour or so since I have a lot of fresh, frozen broth I like to use. And maybe one day just water! Eek!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #25
CreamCheese
Junior LCF Member

Hi Agatha! I've been confused about the long-term OMAD thing as well. I do get the feeling that Dr. Fung is down on OMAD as a long-term strategy, but he may just mean the extra-strict one-hour-window version that many people try, where you fast 23:1 every day. I can see that it might be hard to get all the food your body needs in such a short window, and how that much restriction could slow your metabolism down over time.

From reading other sources, Bert Herring's "Fast-5" style of OMAD, 19:5, or similar, seems to be a style that many have adopted as a long-term lifestyle. Those folks do aim for one main meal a day, but the eating window is long enough to make certain you can eat all the food you are hungry for that day, which might be physically impossible to do if you only allow a one-hour window every day. (If you find you are still hungry a few hours after your meal, you get a chance to eat some more before the window closes.) Currently I'm aiming for 19:5 or 18:6 daily. Work has been pretty crazy lately, but once that settles down, I'll try some extended fasts.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:44 AM   #26
agatha1939
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: agatha1939
Stats: 240/216/120
WOE: LC, 1200 cal/day, IF-OMAD
Start Date: Oct 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamCheese View Post
Hi Agatha! I've been confused about the long-term OMAD thing as well. I do get the feeling that Dr. Fung is down on OMAD as a long-term strategy, but he may just mean the extra-strict one-hour-window version that many people try, where you fast 23:1 every day. I can see that it might be hard to get all the food your body needs in such a short window, and how that much restriction could slow your metabolism down over time.
Yeh, I can agree with that, it's very hard to get 1,200 cal of good food in one seating. I'll probably change it to a 20:4/19:5 soon, with lunch at noon and dinner at 4 pm, that will give me more options to get all nutrients my body needs.

Thanks!
agatha1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #27
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
So far things going well. I am using 20:4 and just had a swoosh of 1.6 pounds the last day. In 4 days, I lost 2.2. I am not doing low carb but I am only having 1 serving of high carb food. Last night it was a small serving of noodles. I still miss my AS in my green tea.

I am loving the Jason Fung book. It answers many questions.

My biggest challenge is that my mouth is bored without using AS. I never liked bubble mineral water but drank a liter of Pelligrini the last 3 days for lunch and That helped.

I love the Voya app. Thank you for suggesting!

Last edited by TBipp; 01-06-2018 at 05:11 AM..
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #28
Princessbrendag
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessbrendag
Stats: 194/128/130 or Less
WOE: Maintenance My Way
Start Date: September 6th 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by agatha1939 View Post
Hi everyone, I just found this thread and believe itís about IF, is that correct? I am a member on Diet Doctor website and watched many videos about IF, including Dr Fungís ones. I started OMAD 3 weeks ago just by chance, my mom is visiting me from abroad for a month and I wanted to be able to eat whatever she prepared without hurting my diet too much, so I decided to one meal per day only (dinner).

So far itís working very well for me, even all the high carb foods Iím eating this month. I started OMAD 11-Dec at 224.2 lb and today I weighed 217.8 lb and itís not being very difficult to wait and eat only once a day (I have dinner at 4 pm). I am now considering continuing OMAD ďforeverĒ, but back to low carb food once my family leaves, I just donít know if eating OMAD everyday is considered safe/healthy, does anybody have any information about this?

Iím in love with this Forum, so much info and support about LC and weight loss... thanks everybody!
I eat OMAD every day but the weekends, I've been maintaining my weight for 7 months and there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating OMAD

-64 POUNDS

Weight Loss Journey Link
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=884343

Maintenance Journal Link
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888201
Princessbrendag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #29
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I think the issue they (Rr. Fung & Megan) have with OMAD is that your body gets "used to" it. We will adapt to anything that is we do regularly.

I figure if it is working for you, great. If it stops working, you'll know what to tweak. You could do two meals or a longer window on some days.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #30
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone.

Tbipp, I so like the Paregrinno waters. have you tried Tapo Chico waters? I had my first the other day and enjoyed it. I cannot seem to find it however at my local markets. I have been off all artificial sweeteners since early November I think. I cannot believe I am used to it! I would have said no, not me hahaha - I need to get my fridge stocked up with the Paregrinno waters soon! I see you are in St Louis, MO. We have family in Wildwood. So pretty out there.

Thats wonderful Brenda. Congrats!

Gina, in total agreement

Woke up feeling really good today so I am thankful because it helps my mind set for keto, fasting.

Not sure what the day is bringing withmy mom and such but I do know I am fasting and shooting for a 23:1 today. DH wants us to break out his air fryer for wings. Need to google some recipes

One thing I cannot wait for is in about 7 days, my face will be thinner and my tummy too. I have some mini goals for 2018 and target dates so I have to be very INTENTIONAL at my efforts.

Have a great day on your endeavors folks!