Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2018, 03:58 AM   #1
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/109/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
January Daily Chat

It's 2018 and the JB virtual campfire continues to burn, bringing us all to its warmth, light, and shared companionship.

JBs have lots of news, views, and events to share and this is where we do it.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Happy New Year!!!!! Wow! I can't believe it.

It has been so very cold here. This morning around 9am the actual temperature was 7 degrees with a wind chill of -10 degrees. I'm so ready for spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Happy New Year JBs, wishing all the things you wish for yourselves.

Thank you again for stating the new thread Slow.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
sloppail
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sloppail
Stats: 162/128
WOE: JUDDD LC Maintainance
Happy New Year everyone!!

Carly, the temperature outside this morning in Alberta was -32 degrees!!!! Brrrrr!

If it's going to be, it's up to me!
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/159.2/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
Happy new year!
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Happy New Year, everybody! Checking in for duty and fun! May 2018 bring much wisdom and friendship and successful weight management for all!

Thank you as always, Slow, for starting this thread. It's just amazing to know that after a week away on a cruise I can come here for the support I love and need as I prepare to engage in serious WL mode. This morning I wasn't sure I was going to begin today, but it turns out I am. So begins my assault on my goal range. Quietly. Among friends.

Last edited by p0rtia; 01-01-2018 at 01:41 PM..
p0rtia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
"Quietly, among friends." Portia

I love that - beautiful and true.

Onward to 2018, thanks for letting me play
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #8
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

What are your non-scale goals for 2018?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=890821
Old 01-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post
"Quietly, among friends." Portia

I love that - beautiful and true.

I it as well.

Happy New Year, JB's. Glad to be back at it today.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 AM   #10
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
So begins my assault on my goal range. Quietly. Among friends.

Add me to the list of admirers for this lovely phrasing.

It's cold, wet, and windy here but we seem to have been fortunate so far to escape the damage that is evident in other parts of the UK.

I saw some beautiful kitchen countertops recently made from recycled school science lab. benches - they glowed with the full beauty of iroko wood. Which they should at £300 per square metre (finished - teak is £400). : I wonder how many schools didn't think what a treasure they had when they were refitting their labs and didn't think to sell them to a salvage yard?

It's Re4med on eBay uk (they're based in Devon, Kissa). Just in case anyone longs to see items of beauty rendered in hardwood.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-03-2018 at 02:12 AM..
Old 01-03-2018, 02:32 AM   #11
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Too late to edit the previous post: re4med co uk

Quite lovely. I like kitchen items and surfaces that can be cleaned (preferably with steam and pressure) but if I ever wanted wood in a kitchen, hardwood like this would be the stuff for which I'd pine (sorry, couldn't resist).
Old 01-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Happy New Year all!! I'm back to it as well. I have to say, even with all the stress and holidays and just sporadically being able to get in DD's and some daily IF (skipping breakfasts and sometimes lunches) I haven't really gained THAT much. I'm expecting a few days in to this I may drop the water weight (of which there is plenty) and a couple of weeks more I may be back to the high end of my former bounce range.... at least that is my positivity speaking up.

Also need to get my head back in to the game at work. Still high stress time here and no end to that at least through January but I think I've been at the high stress for so long it is beginning to feel "normal" .

Carly I'm with ya on being ready for spring. Yesterday was -6 F (thats -21C without windchill) when I brought DP for his walk. Today it is 20 degrees F (-6 C) and it feels almost warm. thats crazy. Big blizzard heading our way for tomorrow. They are predicting up to a foot for my area so I will be working at home. I can wear my comfy clothes .
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
erinisme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 183/173/140
WOE: ADF
Start Date: 11/28/17
Took me a couple days longer to get back on it, but today is going well. I ate kinda early but hope to make it through. Couple pounds up, but nothing to be in a panic about, glad I got in the scale though. It’s dreadfully cold here too. One of our furnaces broke on New Year’s Eve, then my car had to go to shop on Tuesday. Geez. Let’s attack something I CAN control, food in my mouth! Lol
erinisme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

DH managed to cause more heat damage in the kitchen (he left an electric waffle iron that was heating up unattended, with the lid up, and no contents - he went upstairs and forgot). I've only just had the curtains back from sending them out to be cleaned to get rid of the odour from his last heat damage incident.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Putting aside DH and the new damage to the kitchen...

I've nicely managed to bake rolls and loaves that are only ground flaxseed/linseed, water, and salt (plus a ferociously hot oven). They have a very good crumb and texture and people in general (not just low carb or GF people) enjoy them to the point where I need to intervene with portion control as a roll or slice is a *lot* of fibre for those who are unaccustomed to it. Dr Sarah Myhill has a video of a the technique and recipe for the loaf on YouTube:

A Quick Method For Making Delicious Paleo-ketogenic Bread

This evening I made some high-fibre muffins. I had to mess around with the recipe as volume to mass measurements are an inconsistent pest, particularly when particular brands of items behave so differently. That said, I flavoured them with coconut drops so they were a good accompaniment to this evening's curry dinner. The recipe was based on:
KetoConnect net
High Fiber Muffins

My muffins were lighter in colour and texture than the ones in the recipe photographs and I made mine substantially smaller (I think - it's so hard to tell with this volume:mass stuff). I had to add a generous amount more of wet ingredients to adjust the batter before baking but that is part of the general inconvenience of low carb baking - the brand matters enormously, as does the fineness of the grind of the oat fibre, flax meal/linseed etc. etc. Plus, I'm not a great fan of erythritol so I substituted another sweetener.

I've lived without items such as bread etc. for a very long time tho' I bake it on a huge scale for a domestic kitchen. However, courtesy of this auto-immune arthritis, it seems that my digestive system slams to a halt without a substantial intake of fibre, and I need to find ways of eating more fibre or it seems to raise my inflammasomes in such ghastly way that makes my joints hurt even more. And, given my overall daily calorie intake for maintenance is <1300kcals and I need nutrient density in my food choices, the fibre-rich items must not cost many of those calories. Hence my recent experiments around flax meal/linseeds and oat fibre.

My next baking experiments shall involve ground seaweed with other items. And I've just ordered 12 litres/quarts of liquid egg whites so that I can experiment freely with various low carb and high fibre but low calorie wraps, loaves etc.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Speaking of : digestive system slams to a halt

This was me also, but not now!!!

Back in early spring of 2017 I read about making sauerkraut in a jar! Now I eat about 1/8 cup a day - it works!!! After it is in the jar and working it takes about a month before it is ready. I leave it on the cupboard and see it doing its thing!

I started a batch on new years day too.

Give it a try!

Google - makesauerkraut .
Old 01-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I've nicely managed to bake rolls and loaves that are only ground flaxseed/linseed, water, and salt (plus a ferociously hot oven). They have a very good crumb and texture and people in general (not just low carb or GF people) enjoy them to the point where I need to intervene with portion control as a roll or slice is a *lot* of fibre for those who are unaccustomed to it. Dr Sarah Myhill has a video of a the technique and recipe for the loaf on YouTube:
I'll be right over. As soon as I book a ticket.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #18
Carly

Just popping in to say I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth, but I’ve been quite sick with a fever over 102.8 for the 3 days and I’m not really improving much. Plus I woke up to TOM this morning, so its just bad on all counts.

We had a snow storm on Thursday I think, but all my days are blurring together. We got about 10 inches or so and the temperatures have been -25 with the windchill. About 4 or 5 degrees actual.

I’m over it, but hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow, because I am really backed up work wise. I think this illness will bode well for the scale, but a very high price to pay.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #19
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Feel better, Carly!

My part of NJ didn't get quite as much snow, but the wind and the snow we did get was fierce!
Old 01-07-2018, 03:38 AM   #20
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

That degree of wind and cold sounds brutal, Carly - I hope your illness passes quickly. The Australian flu seems to be hitting parts of the UK in waves and it's making people as weak as a kitten.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 AM   #21
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
I'll be right over. As soon as I book a ticket.
There's little I'd enjoy more than a get-together with a bunch of JBs so that we could all cook and eat together - UDs and DDs.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #22
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

I know that we're sometimes given various food gifts for the holidays that are unsuitable to pass on to a shelter or food bank because they're not staples.

So, if anyone is looking at a block of halva that they were given as a gift and don't know what to do with it, and a jar of tahini that needs to be used up, then Ottolenghi's site has a very good recipe up for Middle Eastern Millionaire's Shortbread that uses tahini and halva. It's the usual rich shortbread base with a halva tahini layer rather than caramel and there's a tahini caramel on top rather than chocolate. (NB: the measurements are metric and mass by and large rather than volume. And corn flour is corn starch.)
Site: Ottolenghi
Post title: Middle Eastern Millionaire's Shortbread

Having made it, I would comment that the next time I bake it (and that will be quite soon), I would be tempted to pop some orange flower water in the caramel topping, and I'd like to try out pistachio halva for the middle layer (this would be a defensive measure as I was given some pistachio halva that is rather too delectable to have lying about). I also wonder if the caramel topping might be improved by having some oil rather than being entirely butter and cream based. And another variation (depending on your stores) would be to swap 1 tbsp of white miso for 1tbsp of the tahini in the caramel as that would add a nicely-matching umami hit.

The recipe slices up well into bars and these can be cut very neatly into 1 inch pieces which is a good 2 decorous bites size.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #23
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been reading about Bocha Sweet on one of the recipe forums here. Has a JB used it? It's eye-wateringly expensive but people rave about the texture, taste, lack of GI distress, and claim that it bakes well.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888975

COI: I don't understand the claims around this product - I don't see how it can be zero calorie and zero glycemic impact yet be a "source of energy" as the company claims. I have some questions about the way it's metabolised that the company doesn't address. But, that's me - I need to understand something.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-08-2018 at 03:41 AM..
Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #24
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Hi all. Happy New Year! I thought you'd like to see the newest member of our family... (attached picture!). He came into a local animal shelter as a stray (poor baby, he was so skinny and afraid) and we quickly applied and went to visit. I wouldn't let DH or my SS to get their hopes up because we knew other families were also interested. But while we were playing with him at the shelter, they picked us to be his family. So I guess everything just fell into place and it was fate! We named him Indiana "Indy" Bones. He's just the best boy. He quickly came out of his shell and made himself at home. He's so sweet and loving and wants to be in my lap all the time. Housebreaking has been really hard with Iowa's windchills ranging from -10° to -30° the past two weeks, but we're working on it. The shelter vet estimated him to be around 4 based on his teeth, but everyone else thinks there's no way he's that old--he's very puppylike! I still miss Mr. K so much, but Indy has been such a blessing--brought us so much happiness and kept the loneliness at bay. He's very different from Mr. K. which I think is a good thing. He definitely has some ancestry in him that's not pug; my guess is beagle, and last week I sent in a dog breed DNA test for him and I can't wait to see the results. I want to thank everyone again for all your wonderful comforting thoughts after the loss of Mr. K, and your encouragement to adopt another dog if it felt right. You're all the best and I hope your 2018 is starting off right.

2017 was a hard year for me and I gained a lot of weight. So, back on the horse again and DDing today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3225.jpg (38.6 KB, 21 views)
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
That degree of wind and cold sounds brutal, Carly - I hope your illness passes quickly. The Australian flu seems to be hitting parts of the UK in waves and it's making people as weak as a kitten.
I do feel as weak as kitten. That sums it up. The smallest effort literally drains me. I'm still out from work.

Your recipes sound divine and I have not heard of the bocha sweet.

Tara- your new fur baby looks like a doll!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #26
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Tara, he's the cutest!

Carly-you have perfect weather to hibernate and recover. Take good care of yourself, the JUDDD budds want you back all healthy and such
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #27
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Tara! So lovely to read your post! Looking forward to lots of fun times and pix in 2018. Soooo happp to meet sweet Indy. Love the name. *hugs*
Old 01-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #28
Blonde with a Rose
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 246/193/150
WOE: Low Carb & 1200 Calories
Start Date: July 8, 2016
Hello and Happy New Year!!

It's s wonderful to see everyone! The flu season has been awful everywhere and I hope you feel better soon Carly! The fur baby is gorgeous.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #29
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Tara - agreed that the Little One is adorable!!

Blonde with a Rose - how lovely to see you again.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Carly. Do hope you get well soon! Th cold weather does not help, I know.

Tara....what a wonderful new fur baby. We all want to hug him, I’m sure.

Happy New Year everyone.

I’m doing more low carb as I seem to need a buffer for my meds. I managed to lose a bit during the holidays so I am encouraged that maybe I can actually start losing again.