Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Mamatomany
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 1/17/13
Newbie Questions

I have started this WOE about 6 weeks ago. I generally am at about 30 g of carbs. I am a heavier exerciser (power lifting/cardio days mixed in there). I am about 140 lbs. and about 19% bf. That being said...the last 2 days I have been adding in a pre-workout quick digesting carb of around 25 g. My total then for the day is less than 50 g, will this be ok. I have been in a brain fog for months, and am just soft looking if that makes sense. Wanted to try this out, to ditch a few pounds (which I have only lost 3) but am very discouraged by my lack of energy. Any tips would be great Thank you for your time!
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
synger
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 301
WOE: IF, Calorie/carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Most keto plans call for fewer than 50 carbs, some even lower. If you're already eating around 30, and you add another 25 in your pre-workout snack, that gets you perilously close to the tipping point of ketosis.

Unfortunately, our bodies don't just say "Oh, that one more gram of carb is here. Time to pop out of ketosis!" It's not so cut and dried. Your body, and your exercise regimen, may be able to tolerate a few more carbs than mine does.

I'd suggest increasing your fat rather than your carbs. See if that helps with the brain fog. Sometimes that happens when you're not fully keto-adjusted (your body isn't switched over from burning glucose to burning ketones) and you hover back and forth on that borderline, never quite getting down into full ketosis.

Other than that, you may want to ask this similar question on a keto board specifically for exercisers. They may have more experience with your particular needs than I do.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Mamatomany
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Most keto plans call for fewer than 50 carbs, some even lower. If you're already eating around 30, and you add another 25 in your pre-workout snack, that gets you perilously close to the tipping point of ketosis.

Unfortunately, our bodies don't just say "Oh, that one more gram of carb is here. Time to pop out of ketosis!" It's not so cut and dried. Your body, and your exercise regimen, may be able to tolerate a few more carbs than mine does.

I'd suggest increasing your fat rather than your carbs. See if that helps with the brain fog. Sometimes that happens when you're not fully keto-adjusted (your body isn't switched over from burning glucose to burning ketones) and you hover back and forth on that borderline, never quite getting down into full ketosis.

Other than that, you may want to ask this similar question on a keto board specifically for exercisers. They may have more experience with your particular needs than I do.
Thank you so much
Old 07-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
I have started this WOE about 6 weeks ago. I generally am at about 30 g of carbs. I am a heavier exerciser (power lifting/cardio days mixed in there). I am about 140 lbs. and about 19% bf. That being said...the last 2 days I have been adding in a pre-workout quick digesting carb of around 25 g. My total then for the day is less than 50 g, will this be ok. I have been in a brain fog for months, and am just soft looking if that makes sense. Wanted to try this out, to ditch a few pounds (which I have only lost 3) but am very discouraged by my lack of energy. Any tips would be great Thank you for your time!
At 19% body fat, you are pretty lean, especially for a woman. Check out Ketogains and Dr. Ted Naiman's site, Burn Fat not Sugar. Both of those sites are about the best ways to become as lean and strong as possible. They also each have Facebook groups for support. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
I exercise quite a bit. I eat plain Greek yogurt to prevent what you stated your experiencing. You can google research into the benefits into incorporating it into your diet/exercise lifestyle.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
Hayek
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/152/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13
I also recommend at least one of the groups recommended by grneyedldy, as it focuses on results and protocols that seem in line with your goals.

Just out of curiosity, do you know your electrolyte intake? You mention a lack of energy and a brain fog, which can be an indicator of this.

A general copy/paste:

A lot of people experience “keto flu” during the start of a ketogenic diet. Some of this will be oversimplified, but it’s part of your body going through a phase where it is learning to learn fat as fuel. Due to the nature of the diet, a lot of people end up cutting out a lot of processed foods, thus also cutting their level of sodium intake.

When cutting carbs, you don’t really end up having blood sugar spikes every time you eat and digest food because you’re not eating sugar. Thus, your body doesn’t need to elevate your insulin levels to keep your blood sugar at a normal level. When your insulin levels are low and stable, your kidneys go into a diuretic mode and excrete sodium, potassium, and water. Ultimately, if you don’t end up replacing your salt, you get low blood pressure, which causes dizziness, weakness, and fatigue.

This “keto flu” can generally be treated by replenishing your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, and magnesium). The symptoms should dissipate in a few days or weeks, but while continuing to eat low carb, you will want to be sure to get enough electrolytes. Otherwise you may experience fatigue, muscle twitching, headaches, muscle cramps, and in more serious cases, arrhythmia. Leg cramps seem to be the most common symptom.
Lyle McDonald (“The Ketogenic Diet”) recommends a minimum daily intake of 5000mg sodium (not just salt), 1000mg of potassium (in the form of potassium chloride or sulfate), and 300mg of magnesium (ideally in the form of magnesium citrate). These are preferably consumed in addition to what you get from food, so the amounts end up looking more like 5000-7000mg of sodium, 1000-3500mg of potassium, and 300-500mg of magnesium.

Some general ways to reach those requirements are broth or bouillon, pickle juice, or sodium pills (sodium), raw spinach, avocado, mushrooms, salmon, steak, pork loin, and lite salt (potassium), and raw spinach, avocado, and magnesium citrate (magnesium). If you don’t reach the suggested totals with food alone, some ways to ingest extra electrolytes include drinking 1 or 2 cups of broth daily, adding salt or a salt substitute to your food, taking a multivitamin that contains magnesium and/or potassium, adding a teaspoon of salt or salt substitute to a glass of water and drinking it, or supplemental pills.

These are general guidelines and obviously one should consult a doctor or medical professional. Especially those with kidney or heart failure, as well as those who have diabetes.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Mamatomany
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all so much! I did find keno gains and will look into the burn fat not sugar. What I did learn was I am not eating enough fats. In a bit of adrenal fatigue so dealing with that and this new WOE. It is not cut and dry I am finding
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Star123
Stats: 208/181/140
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: Restart 1/1/2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post

Thanks for sharing! 😊

“You can do anything you set your mind to”
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
Philippians 4:13
Star123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, my name is Tammy. Hope you don't mine if I join in this thread. I've been doing keto since January 1, 2018. Still trying to up the fat in my diet. Weightloss has been steady, but slow. Been sick with a cold, so haven't been going for my regular walks.

So appreciate all the suggestions and advice on this thread! They are vital!

Have a good day! 😊

Old 01-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Keto issues

Hi, does anyone know how to deal with constipation when starting out on this diet? Sorry, but It can be painful! Ugh! Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks 😊

Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, I have a question... is the pink Himalayan Salt better then regular table salt? And is it allowed on the keto diet?

Thanks 😊