Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Sassay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/181/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Can We Talk??

I have been eating whatever I want and my sugar has spiraled out of control. I just got out of the hospital after having to have 3 stints put in. Also I'm down to smoking 5 cigarettes but can't seen to go even lower or completely stopping. Any suggestions on this from anyone. I'm listening.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Stopping smoking is an individual thing. DH had a heart attack. When he came home from the hospital we both quit cold turkey and never smoked again. This was in 1993. All I can tell you is never light the next one. If there is someone else in the house who smokes I know that is going to be much more difficult.

Good luck to you.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 260 Start/215 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1-1-18 back again
You know what you need to do, now just do it! But don't feel like you need to solve it in a day. It took a while to get out of control. Make a plan and fix it over the next month or two. I just got diagnosed with diabetes and am making changes right now. It can be a bit overwhelming. So take it in small pieces. Maybe save the smoking for last since it can be the hardest. But diabetes and smoking are a very bad combination.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
3fatcats
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 220/150/tweak, 5'7" learn to maintain!
It depends. What do you want? The food and smoking? Or to take control and choose YOU over food? We all know it's hard, but we are all on this site for a reason. Whats all that stuff really doing for you? Costing you a ton of money and your health! Don't let these things have control over you any longer. You tell them who's boss! None of it's worth it, is it? Post as much as you need for support and educate yourself as best you can.

YOU GOT THIS!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
jshaf
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jshaf
Stats: 450/381/180
WOE: Keto combined with OMAD and extended fasting
Start Date: October 8th 2017
just joined tonight, here is my story. went from 220 in the early 90's to 450 as of October 17. decided to make a change after basically showing no improvement over the last three years of my companies health screenings.

did research and decided on the Keto diet and hit the ground running on 10/08/2017.

over the last three months I tweaked the diet and added intermittent fasting and then extended fasting. added walking also.

just hit the three month mark today and have lost 62 lbs. started this with the intention of taking two years to reach my goal of 250 lb lost. thus far I am about two months ahead of where I thought I would be at this time. wanted to be at 380 by april first but will probably hit that by the end of this month. feel great and have almost no hunger.
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
Shaz
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shaz
Stats: IN KG: 78.5
Start Date: Jan 2018
Sassay, I am a longtime smoker (started smoking in 1984 to give you some idea), it’s not easy to break a nicotine addiction as nicotine is reportedly 1000 times more addictive than heroin (having never taken heroin, I can’t say for certain!). I tried to give up in the 90’s, twice. Then I gave up using zyban in 2006 and stayed stopped for 4 years. Then in 2016 I gave up again but that time for only 3 months. In October last year, I started thinking about stopping. I talked to my friends incessantly about quitting - they are all non smokers - even whilst actually puffing on a cigarette! Finally, on NYE, I told my husband that I needed to stop smoking. He smokes too. He started laughing and said that he had been thinking of quitting too!

So we decided that when we had finished the stock of cigarettes that we had, we would quit. We went and bought patches, the cheapest ones we could find, which were generic own brand ones, in the strongest available, even though neither of us smoked more than 15-20 per day and put them on. The cigarettes lasted another two days but you can wear the patches pre quit.

We’ve been smoke free for 7 days and additionally I’ve been added sugar free for 9 days. This is the first time I’ve given up cigarettes and I’m not craving them.

You can do this! I believe in you xxx
Shaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think you get your diet in hand and when you have done that for a good long time, you quit smoking and use whatever tools you have at hand. I was never a heavy smoker but did cut back and mostly tracked the number of ciggys I had over a day - being conscious of how much I was smoking. I did that for about a year and set a date and on that date, I stopped smoking. I struggled a bit but it has been almost 6 years and LOVE being free. You will too.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #8
NewOldLC
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: NewOldLC
Stats: 235/158.8/165 Goal met Jan 9 2016. New goal 145!
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: January 12, 2015
My husband has had good luck by switching to vaping. No cravings and he is very very gradually lowering the nicotine content to eventually get to zero.
Mandy

Check out my instagram at @mrsagnesbrown5
NewOldLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
trishthedish
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 282/171/141
WOE: LC & IF 16:8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldLC View Post
My husband has had good luck by switching to vaping. No cravings and he is very very gradually lowering the nicotine content to eventually get to zero.
This is how my DH quit.

My Journal ~ The Dish
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Sassay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/181/135
Start Date: 3/05
Thanks everyone!! I'll update on my progress.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
ella5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ella5
The most important tools I used were recognition of the fact that it was not the smoking I wanted, but rather the "activity" of it: the mouth/tongue sensations, sucking, and, at that time, related it to nursing, so I got something "nipple" related. There were no sugar free candies at that time, so I got lemon drops to suck on. They were/are just the right size and shape for me, and satisfied that need. Later, I switched to Life Savers, and then quit even them. Later I read that lemon is a detoxifier.

Another was an agreement with myself that if I really wanted another cigarette, I could have one, after I smelled a large, full of ashes and butts, a few times. Only once did I use that, and I had to take 2-3 really big smells. I finally disposed of that nasty ashtray a few months later, and have been free ever since.
Maybe something like that can help you.
Best wishes.
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Since DH and I quit at the same time, it was the competition for me. I was NOT going to be the one to cave first, and obviously, neither was here. There was one situation when I seemed to always want a cigarette. I concentrated on being strong in that situation, and it worked for me.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #13
srmil30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 203/162.6/145
Start Date: restart 7-22-15
First welcome jshaf and congrats on your weight loss. Sassay, I was lucky and found out I was pregnant and quit cold turkey. But in your case since you have already dropped to 5 cigarettes daily (congrats by the way that is an accomplishment) can you maybe replace 1 cigarette at a time with a sugar free candy or going for a walk? Just something to replace the activity of smoking.

1st goal met-20 lbs gone
2nd goal met- 30 lbs gone
3rd goal met- 40 lbs gone
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote