Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/109/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Non-Scale Goals for 2018

I know that there is still time left in December for 2018 is <2 weeks aways.

What are your non-scale goals for 2018?

What are your non-scale wish-list items?
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

I posted this on p0rtia's Challenge thread but thought I'd reproduce it here as an example.

I have a relatively active lifestyle however the auto-immune arthritis, structural scoliosis etc. have had quite an impact on my stamina and flexibility and this is affecting my activities as well as day-to-day.

Improving my stamina involves a lot of contingencies so it's too complex a goal at present.

Non-scale goals

I'm considering a couple of fitness and flexibility goals that will help me with my usual activities and also be enjoyable. It's tricky to pick ones that are feasible and that I have a realistic chance of performing with good form from the outset.

E.g., like a lot of people, I can sit on the floor with my legs straight in front of me and touch my toes if I round my back (not good form). It would be better to shove my ego aside and cultivate a fold forward from the hips (no waist initiation or compensation) and control that to the point where my back is in the correct position and then work that until I can fold forward with good form. The obvious progression from this is the pancake fold - folding forward in a straddle position with good form. This an indication of what I mean tho' not necessarily what I aspire to do.
See: Youtube GMB
Stretching for Super-Stiff People - How to Get into Position

I would like to work on some animal crawls. Apart from the crawls themselves, my challenge at the moment is ludicrously prosaic. I don't have enough floor space at home to crawl - and the only room where I could clear the space to give me a longer run has a very cold, hard floor. For these animal crawls, it's best to have somewhere with a smooth, somewhat slippy surface - and I certainly don't want to bang up my hips, shoulders or anything else by performing these crawls on a cold, hard floor. For an approximation, here is an implausibly fit and competent young man demonstrating them (I must look to see if there are decent videos from women).
See: YouTube Vahva Fitness
8 Different Crawling Exercises

For basic crawls that keep your trunk off the floor (by and large), I'd like to mention
YouTube Redefining Strength
Crawling Exercises - 21 Different Crawling Variations

I loathe photographs but the only way that I'll be able to monitor my progress is through documented re-evaluations of the forward fold and pancake every month. Maybe for the crawls, I'll need to stick with the crawling variations until the weather is warm enough for me to bear contact with the floor, if I can't find a suitable surface. I should be able to monitor the crawls by distance travelled over time? Maybe? I'll perhaps give this more thought.

Wishlist

Improve vitamin D status.
Sleep quality (and volume).
Stamina.

All of those 3 interlink so we'll see.

In addition, I'd so much benefit from having an authentic joie de vivre like Kissa's. I'd like to think that as some of the wishlist happens, this might occur as a spontaneous outcome.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Wish List for 2018

Improve quality and duration of sleep (not even sure where to start on that).
Get back to strength training and HIIT at the gym.
Have the extra skin on my arms removed (I really want to make it happen this year- life is too short).
Drink more water.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
What a lovely thread! Because it's causing me to think. I do have goals for 2018, but they are creative--I have not yet thought about health and weight management goals. I will ponder this. So far, as a super stiff person, Slow has given me food for thought!
Old 12-28-2017, 01:23 AM   #5
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

To put myself in a good position to implement part of mine well, I've discovered that I like eating cod liver which is helpful as I feel it will help me to take the vitamin D supplements by downplaying some of the side effects of taking a supplement.

I've tried out some crawls that I can do on my freezing floor, wearing a very thick fleece and some trousers with reinforced knees. I can cover embarrassingly short distances with some of them (the upright animal walks) and find the crawls that I am trying to be absolutely exhausting,
Old 12-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
I love this thread and want to take some time to really consider my non-scale goals for 2018. This is a lovely reflective question that is exactly what I need. I will get back to post it before NYD. HMMMMMM-
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
UtahDesert
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/125/122
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
The things I haven't been doing:

* Get around eight hours sleep (or more) every night. This is the most important health-related thing I need to change.

* Incorporate what I've learned from my WOE (e.g., look at mistakes as learning opportunities rather than guilt trips; think about how particular choices will make me feel in the medium- and long-term; watch out for impulses driven by stress, habit, or boredom) into how I manage my time and my work and chores. (And my sleep, I guess.)

* Develop a consistent, manageable routine of core and balance exercises.

* Start on the routine (aiming for 150 minutes a week) of walking, running, or dancing I should be doing to strengthen my bones. (Walking to and from work would pretty much do it.)

* Cut back even more on diet sodas, substituting tea, yerba mate, and sparkling water.
UtahDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
sloppail
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sloppail
Stats: 162/128
WOE: JUDDD LC Maintainance
I want to:

*strengthen my shoulders and arms as well as my lower back and core
*consistently fit into my size 6 clothes
*not ever look at my WOE as a "diet" ever again. I never want to be in the position that I have to lose 30 pounds or more, I will always try to head off a gain before it gets out of control This is my lifestyle now

If it's going to be, it's up to me!
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm keeping up with the additional physio and the crawls And, I'm on schedule with both the vitamin D and I've introduced a tiny amount of inulin (I don't tolerate the latter at all well so it's literally 1/8th of a teaspoon a day at present).

I think this thread might prove useful as a 2018 goals accountability thread - maybe we'll see.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

1. Stretch every day.

2. Continue to upgrade the quality of the foods I eat (more natural, less processed). I've come a long, long way, but there is still room for improvement (talkin' about you, diet sodas!).

3. Use weights to improve neck and shoulder strength.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #11
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Flexibility exercises done.

Supplements taken (no mean thing for me as I'm not accustomed to taking them).

Crawls done.

Change in tack with DH on some topics in progress
Old 01-02-2018, 06:14 AM   #12
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Improve my fitness I have been coasting at the same level for too long....

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Non-scale goal-
-having control over my eating and hunger, using UD/DD and IF
-moving more, more steps on fitbit and more stretching/yoga
-moving off some of my prescriptions as I get healthier
-mood control, fewer swings from bad food, blood sugar
-posting regularly throughout the year on this forum- the most supportive place, instead of disappearing and then returning
Old 01-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/156.2/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
1. Be comfortably back in my size 6 clothes.
2. Get to the Y at least twice a week (and get back to swimming).
3. As Quietnite said, be a regular here, giving and getting support.
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #15
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

So far (Jan 4) I have not yet found the ten minutes per day to do my stretchies. I did, howver, to my in-bed morning leg stretchies. So that's something. The day is not over, however. Challenging myself on this simplest of health commitments.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #16
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Managing my flexibility and stretch work plus the supplements (really surprising myself with the latter but I think, for me, it's planning when I'll take them and committing to it that gets it done).

Crawls are still of an unimpressive length but I can attest to the fact that they are pretty intense and more than double my heart rate (this is not difficult in some ways as my resting heart rate is in the late 40s but it can take a lot to raise it).

Having some pushback from DH (did I mention he left an unattended, empty, heating appliance that caused yet more heat damage in the kitchen)? That said, he was doing similar stuff before so I shall persevere.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Aaaaand...I did it! In fact I did 20 min of stretchies, and OMG, it felt soooo good. My bod was figuratively weeping with gratitude. And I had pretty good range of motion for not having stretched for weeks and experiencing post-tennis stiffness.

Seriously, where would I be without LCF and all the JUDDD Buds? I've been a happy do-it-yourselfer my whole life. I am notoriously impatient with the happy mythologies and clichés of society. I prefer my own company an enormous amount of the time. But man oh man, if this isn't proof of the benefits of the collective, I don't know what is.

Oh yeah. It helps that you are all incredibly knoweldgeable, loving, and honest.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #18
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Oh yeah. It helps that you are all incredibly knoweldgeable, loving, and honest.

2018 goals include: continue to work on eating whole natural foods and reducing those processed convenience foods. I am always struggling with this. (trying NOT to go back with artificial sweetener while attempting keto).

Get in to a better exercise routine. Right now I regularly walk at least a couple of miles a day with the dog and get in longer walks on weekends but thats not enough. Get back to strength training.

Another constant struggle: find a better way to manage work stress.

And finally... a mid-year goal... I would really like to be mostly comfortable in my own skin, enough to wear a bathing suit in public on a beach somewhere when I turn 50 this summer. That's a pretty big one.
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #19
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/130/124
Chiming in here.
My biggest goal is to consistently lift weights and strength train. I know that I will feel better about myself if I can get this going. Cardio is good for the heart, but I want to tone up and feel better in my skin again.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:53 AM   #20
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Sticking to my pledges to myself which is good. I haven't missed a flexibility session since I started and I'm successfully managing to titrate up the vitamin D dosage without unsettling the tinnitus unduly.

The sleep is still limited and indifferent quality but I'm nowhere near the vitamin D level at which it's expected to show improvement so I can't write this off as something that the pro-hormone might modify usefully. Because I'm now managing to take more than baby doses of vitamin D, I'm now supplementing other items because I'm mindful of the impact of this pro-hormone on my gut tract etc.

I'm trying not to be impatient about the crawls. I do find them very taxing and can't manage many circuits with them. However, it's quite difficult to assess this as I hurt my wrists in a fall in December. My wrists have been whinging as if I'm strained/sprained/fractured them tho' the complete absence of very obvious swelling or inflammation argues otherwise. The options are that I might have strained them and maybe caused a spiral crack to the ulnars or I had a rapid onset of this auto-immune arthritis in the wrists (altho' it's in the fingers and elsewhere in the hands, it's not previously been in the wrists). I might have to grit my teeth and have them checked with an MRI if they don't improve. It's bad enough that I can't kayak at all at the moment so it's driving me scatty.

I'm ramping up to 1/4tsp of inulin a day We'll see how I tolerate that.

Persevering with my new tack with DH altho' I'm finding this particularly tiring.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #21
Kissa

Slow, I am so sorry.

Those of you who have not met Slow in person can't even begin to imagine how wonderfully stoic she is. Her smile lights up a room and she simply ignores levels of discomfort that would floor most of us. Respect lady.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #22
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Slow, I am so sorry.

Those of you who have not met Slow in person can't even begin to imagine how wonderfully stoic she is. Her smile lights up a room and she simply ignores levels of discomfort that would floor most of us. Respect lady.
Thank you so much for this, Kissa - it's lifted my spirits as I'm having a bit of a rough day with my wrists etc. I'm trying out a different wrist brace to see if a few days with this will help.

I'm persevering with the supplements and need to titrate down a little as the increase in vitamin D has amplified the tinnitus. I'll nudge it up again at the weekend.

I've added in a vitamin B complex to balance out the vitamin D. I've increased the inulin this week and, so far, so good.

The flexibility work continues alongside the crawls.

I'm still looking into whether I could shift to part-time.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #23
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Thought I posted something yesterday but I see it didn't show up.

Just wanted to add to Kissa's thoughts:

Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Slow, I have found her posts on health and weight management invaluable and her adventures along her own path compelling. Thank you so much for sharing, SlowSure. Your name says it all.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #24
Kissa

Part time would be of such benefit to you Slow, Or is there anyway you could work more from home? I know that the travelling can be challenging enough for you.

Sorry about the wrists.

DH and I have booked to go on a cruise in February for 2 weeks. We are going along with my sister and her DH. They do a lot of cruising and I am hoping to convince my OH that it is fun. We fly to Barcelona for a couple of nights and then cruise to the Canaries and back, dropping into Casablanca and a couple of Spanish mainland ports.

But before that Vicky is coming home for a couple of weeks, so I am very happy.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #25
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Ooooh, Kissa, a real cruise! Awesome!

BTW, I did my stretchies today before tennis. The bod was happy about that--didn't take me forever to warm up.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #26
Kissa

Yes, a real cruise, lol, but I have no intention of taking the other kind. I am so comfortable with my Maintenance eating, of course I'll have fun, but I don't expect to gain much.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #27
Carly

I've been doing better with increasing my water intake. Last night I drank 3 18 ounce cups and the night before 2 18 ounce cups.

I put a packet of true lemon in each cup- it definitely helps as I tire quickly of plain water.

I went online yesterday to register for Planet Fitness but was very displeased that their offer for a dollar down and $10 a month requires a year-long commitment and they require that you pay from a checking account- nope- not gonna happen- especially the checking account part.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #28
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Still on target - I'm upping the inulin dose and adapting to the vitamin B.

The flexibility work continues alongside the crawls.

Persevering with DH
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #29
Carly

I had 2 18 ounce glasses of water again last night.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #30
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Used the treadmill for steps the last two days, first time in the NYear. My fit bit graph has been going slowly but incrementally up. The IF is def being implemented.