Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Low carb white, wheat, and pumpernickel breads

Here are my three basic yeast bread recipes. The white is a variation on Kevin's carbquik white bread recipe, updated for modern ingredients and increased in size to make a bigger loaf. The wheat and pumpernickel are variations on the basic recipe. Fresh yeast is VERY important, so if you aren't getting bread that looks like the picture, try using new yeast.

(I have a little electric slicer, and slice these about 3/8" thick and get 20-22 slices per loaf!)

Kevin’s Basic Carbquik White Bread

This my variation on a recipe developed by Kevinpa (from the Low Carb Friends board). It makes the best low carb white bread I have ever eaten. It has been adapted for a bread maker, but you can make it by hand or in a stand mixer with a dough hook. It makes a great pizza crust, too.

Note: Because these breads have no preservatives, be sure to keep them in the refrigerator.

(I have shown the WPI and Carbquik in grams because I have found it is difficult to get consistent measurements with measuring cups.)

1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 (33g)
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
1/2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 (74g)
2 tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar (to feed the yeast)
1 tbsp yeast

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
Artificial sweetener equal to 1/4 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose.)
1 tbsp avocado oil

Set the bread maker to manual mode, (or use a stand mixer with a dough hook.)

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker, then put the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients. (If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle then mix for 10 minutes with the dough hook.)

If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000. When the manual cycle completes, (or after about 10 minutes of kneading) form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. (Because of the baking powder in the recipe, the dough “kicks” in the oven and will rise another inch or two, so don’t let it rise too high before baking)

When dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.

NOTE: Don’t let this bread rise twice or it will ruin it. Form it into a loaf as soon as it is finished kneading, and let it rise and bake it.

Makes 16 half inch slices at 2g carbs per slice

For Rolls: When the manual cycle completes, remove the dough from the breadmaker and form it into rolls. It will make 8 hamburger rolls or 16 dinner rolls.

For hamburger rolls, substitute 1/4 cup more WPI 5000 for the 1/4 cup WPI 8000 to make a softer crust. Cut the dough into eighths and form each piece into a ball. Flatten the ball out to a "patty" about 4 inches across and half an inch high. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and put in a warm place to rise for about 20 to 30 minutes. When they have risen, bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

For dinner rolls, cut the dough into 16 pieces, form each into a ball and place side by side in a 9x13 inch greased baking pan. Raise until double, and bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

Wheat Bread

Note: Because these breads have no preservatives, be sure to keep them in the refrigerator.

(I have shown the WPI and Carbquik in grams because I have found it is difficult to get consistent measurements with measuring cups.)

1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
3/4 cup ground pecans
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar (eaten by yeast)
1 tbsp yeast

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
Artificial sweetener equal to 1/4 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)

Set the breadmaker to manual mode.

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker, and then put the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, and then pour in the wet ingredients. (If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle, then 10 minutes with the dough hook.) The dough will be too soft at first, but will firm up and make a ball after it kneads for a few minutes. If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000.

Don't let the dough rise in the breadmaker. Take it out as soon as the knead cycle ends (or after about 10 minutes of kneading) and form the dough. Put it into a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. If you let it rise twice it will ruin it. (Because of the baking powder in the recipe, the dough “kicks” in the oven and will rise another inch or two, so don’t let it rise too high before baking)

When the dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. Turn the loaf out onto a rack to cool.

Yields 16 half inch slices per loaf, 2.5g carbs per slice.

Pumpernickel Bread

1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp black strap molasses (eaten by yeast)
3 tbsp Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp yeast
2 tsp whole caraway seeds
1/2 tsp ground caraway seed*

*NOTE: You can use just 1 tbsp whole caraway seed, but the ground seed gives a more intense flavor that mixes all through the bread. Grind the seeds in a coffee grinder, or buy it ground.

Artificial sweetener equal to 1/2 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
1 tbsp avocado oil

Set the breadmaker to manual mode.

Combine all the dry ingredients and the molasses in the pan of the breadmaker, and then measure the wet ingredients into a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients (If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle, then 10 minutes with the dough hook.) The dough should be a bit soft. If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000.

When the manual cycle completes, (or after about 10 minutes of kneading) form the dough and put it into a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. (Because of the baking powder in the recipe, the dough “kicks” in the oven and will rise another inch or two, so don’t let it rise too high before baking) When the dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.

Makes 16 half inch slices at 3.5g carbs per slice.

For rolls, see the white bread recipe above.

Last edited by sbwertz; 10-05-2015 at 04:20 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
Yea! Now I can join the deli potluck at work!
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thanks for all the recipes. Your breads look great too.

I never thought about using an electric slicer--that's a grand idea.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Very pretty bread.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
order of ingredients

My breadmaker instructions require liquid first, dry ingredients, lastly, yeast. Why is your instructions different? The bread looks and sounds do good. I don't want to mess it up just by mixing it the wrong way.

Thanks,
Diane
Luv2loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I use an old DAK dometop and it requires dry ingredients first. It really doesn't make any difference if you are going to run it immediately....the order is really only important if you are going to use the delay function. It keeps the yeast separated from the liquid.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2loose View Post
My breadmaker instructions require liquid first, dry ingredients, lastly, yeast. Why is your instructions different? The bread looks and sounds do good. I don't want to mess it up just by mixing it the wrong way.

Thanks,
Diane
When I was able to make these bread (allergic) I did like my manufacture told me too. You can do that with this one.You can do it.

BTW Sharon your breads look beautiful!!

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

I am so happy to get your replies. Family wants Panni's tonight. So I get to have one to!!!! Yipee. This is just to much fun.
Thank you ladies
Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #9
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Sharon, sorry, me again. I don't have Thick it up. I really can't spend the money right now to buy it. Can I use anything else? And how much would I need? Will I mess up the recipe results with a substitute?

Thank you again.
Diane
Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #10
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikkic
Stats: 289/251/170
WOE: lc/mod carb
Start Date: restarted Jan. 2016
Thank you for the updated version Sharon.
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Sharon, sorry, me again. I don't have Thick it up. I really can't spend the money right now to buy it. Can I use anything else? And how much would I need? Will I mess up the recipe results with a substitute?

Thank you again.
Diane
Not Sharon, but do you have any "gums" at all? I don't have Thick It Up, but I use a combination of guar gum, xantham, and glucomannan instead and it comes out fine. I have so much of that stuff (including acacia) that I just won't buy more of it.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
DiggingDogFarm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I use a combination of guar gum, xantham, and glucomannan
Equal parts or a special ratio?
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

EnglishLit - Ditto the DiggingDogFarm question. The same total amount?

PLUS - Sharon, I made the bread and subbed chia flour for the Thick it up. It rose beautifully. Then when I started baking it fell in the middle. I am so bummed. It sure smells good tho.

Last edited by Luv2loose; 01-23-2016 at 05:18 PM..
Old 01-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Equal parts pretty much. If it's 1 teaspoon, then I'll do 1/4 tsp of xantham and guar and maybe a 1/2 tsp of the gluc. Any combo should do it though.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 AM   #15
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I have used the Xanthan gum, but it only raised about half as much as with the Thick It UP.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 PM   #16
vonnygirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
This looks great! Thank you for sharing.

Total of 53 lbs lost!!
"I'm your huckleberry"-Doc Holliday.
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Sharon, what is the difference between using Carbalose and Carbquick? Is it the taste, texture of the bread or ? Thanks!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

The biggie is that carbquik is 6g carbs per cup and carbalose is 19g carbs per cup. That was enough difference that I went with the carbquik when developing the recipes. Kevin had a carbalose version, and I tried it early on, but much preferred the carbquik one, so I didn't really experiment that much with the carbalose. I use the carbalose in my pasta, though.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #19
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Sharon for the reply. I want to order the ingredients and wanted to get what I needed, at least for this month. I didn't realize that about the carbalose being that many more carbs.

I'm eating low carb to lose weight, but more importantly, my DH is diabetic. I want to provide a bread substitute that he won't turn his nose up to, if you know what I mean. Opsie bread doesn't cut it with him. So far, he's just doing with out bread, but there's going to come a day when he insists on a sandwich or toast with his eggs and bacon.

One of these winter days when I have nothing to do but watch the snow fall, I'm going to read through some of Kevin's threads. I was here when he was posting, but it's been awhile since then and my memory is getting shorter as I get older.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 AM   #20
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

That is why I worked so hard to produce a good yeast bread. My husband is an insulin dependent diabetic and I am hypoglycemic. We both REALLY missed bread. It is so nice to be able to have sandwiches, french toast, regular toast, hamburger buns, etc. again. I've found that it is basically impossible to stay on ANY diet long term if you constantly feel deprived of the foods you love.

I had a pretty good multigrain roll when I first started working with Kevin. That was before there was WPI 5000 and 8000 from Tova. I can't remember where we got our WPI but it was more similar to the 8000. It was also before Carbquik and Carbalose were available. I was on another board for a while, and when I came back to this one, Carbquik and Carbalose were available, and Kevin had started using it in the bread recipes. In his last year or so, I worked with him on his own website, rather than here, and we experimented with various bread recipes, mostly communicating through emails. He worked more with the Carbalose, while I focused on the Carbquik version. I REALLY miss him.

With a good low carb bread and a good low carb pasta, most of our favorite foods are back on the menu again. (For rice, I just put some lc spaghetti in the food processor and chop it up into home made rice a roni!)

Last edited by sbwertz; 01-31-2016 at 06:46 AM..
Old 01-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #21
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Yes, you are right. Yesterday, we grilled out and we were going to have company for hamburgers. At the last minute, the company couldn't come. Dh was going out to get buns and a few other things. I know he would have eaten the bun if it was available. He came home without buns and I was happy he made that choice. But, in the future, I want to be able to give him an alternative.

I bet you do miss Kevin. He was so imaginative and so good at helping everyone and very kind. It seemed his imagination was limitless when it came to recipes. I couldn't wait to see what he would dream up next. It was always exciting. I was so sorry to see he'd passed.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #22
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

So did you try the bread?
Old 02-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #23
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Not yet Sharon. I missed ordering the carbquick. Will let you know when I can make it, which will be soon.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #24
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Sharon, I've made this recipe twice. The flavor is great, the texture is great (even tho mine fell) I asked this earlier, but what a I doing wrong that makes the bread fall? The first time, it rose beautifully, then fell after I took it out of the oven. The second time, it began to fall IN the oven. I am so frustrated! The changes I had to make were: I used vital wheat gluten in place of WPI 8000 and Xanthum & glucamannon in place of the Thick it up. HELP what can I do? Can you suggest anything?

Thank you
Diane
Old 02-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #25
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sharon, I've made this recipe twice. The flavor is great, the texture is great (even tho mine fell) I asked this earlier, but what a I doing wrong that makes the bread fall? The first time, it rose beautifully, then fell after I took it out of the oven. The second time, it began to fall IN the oven. I am so frustrated! The changes I had to make were: I used vital wheat gluten in place of WPI 8000 and Xanthum & glucamannon in place of the Thick it up. HELP what can I do? Can you suggest anything?

Thank you
Diane
I have had no luck with xanthan gum as a replacement for the thick it up. I only get half the rise out of the bread when I use xanthan gum. No idea why.

You are probably over-raising it before you put it in the oven because it is not raising properly with the gum. Try it with the thick it up, and let it rise until it is just half an inch or so above the top of the pan. It will kick another inch or two in the first few minutes in the oven. Also, make sure your yeast and baking powder are FRESH!!! Since you are going to have to order the thick it up, get a bag of WPI 8000. It works better than the VWG, and has a no carbs, and it isn't expensive. The Thick It Up is pricey, but it lasts a LONG time.

Sharon

Last edited by sbwertz; 02-23-2016 at 07:13 AM..
Old 02-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #26
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Sharon, I made the white bread today and it is the best low carb bread I've ever tasted or made. A real thing of beauty too! I don't have a mixer or a bread maker, so I kneaded it by hand for about 9 minutes. I didn't read the recipe as closely has I should have, (although, I think I've read it a million times in anticipation) so instead of using wpi 5000 to keep it from sticking to the counter and my hands, I used carbquick. That may have changed it some, I didn't measure it, but it was probably more than 1/4 cup. Still very impressive.

Thank you for your hard work on the recipe. I plan on reading through Kevin's posts again. I was so tired of trying out bread recipes only to be disappointed and have some new ingredient in my kitchen that I won't use.

Tomorrow, I'm making rolls with it. I can only imagine what pulled pork or sloppy joes will taste like. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #27
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Sharon. I will order the thick it up and the 8000 ASAP It tasted very good even though it flopped. I can only imagine how good it is when it rises properly. Thanks again for all your information I'll let you know when I finally conquer this recipe.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #28
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkic View Post
Sharon, I made the white bread today and it is the best low carb bread I've ever tasted or made. A real thing of beauty too! I don't have a mixer or a bread maker, so I kneaded it by hand for about 9 minutes. I didn't read the recipe as closely has I should have, (although, I think I've read it a million times in anticipation) so instead of using wpi 5000 to keep it from sticking to the counter and my hands, I used carbquick. That may have changed it some, I didn't measure it, but it was probably more than 1/4 cup. Still very impressive.

Thank you for your hard work on the recipe. I plan on reading through Kevin's posts again. I was so tired of trying out bread recipes only to be disappointed and have some new ingredient in my kitchen that I won't use.

Tomorrow, I'm making rolls with it. I can only imagine what pulled pork or sloppy joes will taste like. Thank you!
When you make the rolls, omit the WPI 8000 and increase the WPI 5000 by 1/4 cup. It makes a softer crust for rolls that way. The 8000 gives a more European type crust, and they are harder to bite into for sandwich/burger rolls. You can use carbquik to dust the board when kneading...the only reason I use WPI is because it has no added carbs and the extra carbquik adds a couple of carbs.

Last edited by sbwertz; 02-25-2016 at 06:18 AM..
Old 02-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #29
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for letting me know Sharon. I haven't made them yet, but will soon. It has been nice to have bread for sandwiches. We had meatloaf on bread yesterday. DH said it was pretty good and he was happy to have a sandwich again.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #30
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Hello again Sharon, I tried yet the THIRD attempt of your white bread. It rose nice, as you suggested, I started baking when it was 1" above the pan rim. Then it began to fall just slightly in the center. The flavor was really amazing. No, I haven't ordered thick it up yet. (still trying to save some $$) Question; do you think I could us Jennifer's Thickening agent as a substitute? I am DETERMINED to get a good loaf!
Thanks, Diane

Last edited by Luv2loose; 03-04-2016 at 08:33 PM..