Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #31
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Well, I mustered all my courage and ate the same lunch today, and I wanted to let everyone who has been following this thread to know the results.

I'm happy to say that my first experience was just a fluke. It appears the gastric distress was due to something other than the Sukrin syrup. Not so much as a speck of tummy trouble this time around! So I'm back to lovin' on this syrup again.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #32
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Thanks for the update! Glad it's "back on the menu" again!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #33
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 207/198.2 /goal 150
WOE: Protein Power, mostly
Start Date: January/1/2015
Highfalutin' lowcarb guy, just tested several sweeteners and the sukrin gold syrup raised his BS 89 pts. where as the sukrin powder did not,
only 5, plus he is so funny to watch on utube.

Debbie...
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #34
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Debbie, you're right. The guy is hilarious!!

He says he's not diabetic, but some of his fasting blood sugars were elevated. Also, his blood sugar rose without ingesting anything. If he's not diabetic, then he's most likely prediabetic, at the very least. My morning fasting blood sugars are a lot lower than his, and I have been a diagnosed diabetic over a decade. There's obviously something going on with the dude's ability to process carbs.

Bearing that in mind, I have been using Sukrin Gold syrup in baking recipes, as well as in plain yogurt. Even so, my HbA1c blood sugars have been the lowest I've had since diagnosis, including the use of Sukrin. And not lowest by a little. I mean dramatically lower. Of course, I use the product judiciously. I don't pour it over pancakes. I don't chug it.

Two things. Of course it's going to cause an initial spike. As he said before he started, 2 Tb has 30 grams of carb. However, once it enters the digestive system, the fiber will bring it back down very quickly. That's why blood sugar readings are taken 2 hours after a meal. That is the figure that is of diagnostic significance, not what happens immediately after eating. People with impaired pancreatic function will almost always experience some degree of spike immediately after ingesting food. It's normal for them.

What IS of significance is how the body processes food over time.

Additionally, as he noted, he has used the product extensively. There could have been a drip on the bottle, which he touched with the finger used for testing. This is why it is standard operating procedure to wipe the finger with an alcohol swab (or wash the hands thoroughly) before pricking for a blood draw. Any residue will give inaccurate results. I know this, because before I started following that protocol faithfully, it happened to me, and freaked me out!

So his 89 point jump does not represent a complete picture. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Baricat; 08-12-2017 at 09:10 AM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:26 AM   #35
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I am so glad you reported your findings. I have never had any trouble with the IMO syrups, but his results made me wonder if I was fooling myself.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #36
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

My bad...

Rereading what I wrote, I see I was less than clear about the all-time low HbA1c.

I didn't mean to imply that this was because of using Sukrin. It's possible that someone might infer that from the way I phrased it (or because I left out one important piece of info - sorry!)

The drop was directly attributable to the fact that I stayed consistently on a very LC diet (under 30 grams of net carbs per day.) The point I was making was that these results were achieved, even with the occasional, small to moderate inclusion of Sukrin Gold fiber syrup as part of my diet. What I was trying to impart was that Sukrin, in my experience, when used appropriately most likely will not adversely affect blood sugar readings on a long term, continuum basis.

Hope that's now said a little more effectively.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #37
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Yes, very clear.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #38
ncgirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
I scanned an article yesterday about how the same amount of bread had completely different effects on different people - I think perhaps (?) we're all coming to terms with the idea that the same food (or syrup!) can impact us all quite differently. That said, it's nice when we can have the, 'it works for everyone!'.
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #39
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl View Post
I scanned an article yesterday about how the same amount of bread had completely different effects on different people - I think perhaps (?) we're all coming to terms with the idea that the same food (or syrup!) can impact us all quite differently. That said, it's nice when we can have the, 'it works for everyone!'.
Yes, nc, it is fascinating, isn't it?

Metabolism of something like the Sukrin (a food item with carbs) might be impacted by the degree of pancreatic function impairment in the long run (as well as by a temporary illness, or by stress, in the short run.) In my case, it's pretty profound, as I lost 50% of my body weight, but the diabetes still decided to stick around. Many, many type IIs will no longer be diabetic after losing far less than that.

It can't be stressed enough that Highfalutin' Carb guy's test to assess how Sukrin affects blood sugar was completely flawed. As I said, for those who have any degree of pancreatic impairment, the reading shortly after ingestion of carbs wil rise as predictably as the sun in the east. (And it bears repeating that his fasting sugar readings were, other than the first day, higher than the normal range of 70-90, meaning that he is most likely at the very least, an undiagnosed pre-diabetic. He states that he is not diabetic, but doesn't say how recently he got that diagnosis from a doctor, or it he has ever been tested for it. With his fasting blood sugar readings, I'd be going to see a doctor.)

What is of importance is the reading after 2 hours of ingestion, not right after. In this case, as I pointed out, sure, of course you're going to get an immediate kick from the carbs. Take it to the bank. They are instantly metabolized. The fiber hasn't had a chance to hit your digestive tract yet to counteract them. Fiber works slowly to even out glucose. Fiber doesn't function instantaneously. Carbs, however, do.

And the most thorough test is not with over-the-counter test strips and meter immediately after ingesting carbs on an empty stomach, but with an HbA1c. This is why diabetics must have it performed at regular intervals. That test alone gives the "big picture" of the average of your sugar readings over the last 90 days. It will tell you if you've had a pervasive problem controlling your sugar during that period.

Bottom line is I wouldn't get too jazzed about Highfalutin' Carb guy's "test." It really wasn't proof of anything, except that Sukrin has carbs, which anyone who reads the label already knows.