Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #61
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Tonight's Unsafe At Any Speed was another gazpacho. This time I added more lime juice and cumin powder. Absolutely delicious; drank cold.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #62
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
Tonight's Unsafe At Any Speed was another gazpacho. This time I added more lime juice and cumin powder. Absolutely delicious; drank cold.
Unsafe is delicious with a splash of half and half. Cream of gazpacho. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 07-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #63
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Did another Kefir Madness with three tiny oranges, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, mesclun mix, kefir, lemon juice, Splenda, Ceylon cinnamon, nutmeg, and filtered water. It's never going to taste like cheesecake. The kefir just isn't strong enough. Oh, well. I'm going to get some sour cream and see if that works.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 AM   #64
terez
Major LCF Poster!

So, today's mess was another "let's clean up the fridge and see what happens" kind of thing. The last of the tomatoes, the last of the English cucumber (about a 7 inch hunk), about a half of a small red onion, about 5 small cloves of fresh garlic and some turmeric, lemon juice, olive oil, black pepper, cumin and commercial grade chicken stock. Oh, and some smoked almonds. On the cold cycle. Delicious, especially with the addition of heavy cream.

I have to say, some things are incredible together; tomatoes and chicken stock; homemade or otherwise, pork, or beef, homemade, or otherwise, and garlic and onion and cream, hot or cold. Sooooooo good. It doesn't need any dressing up. Also, tomato with any kind of smoke flavoring, whether it's smoked almonds or liquid smoke, or any other kind of smoked anything. It's outstanding. However, the ripeness of the tomatoes matters a great deal here.

It's better to get a high quality canned tomatoes than some nasty half ripe thing from the local grocer. On the other hand, if you let the nasty half ripe thing ripen, it's great. Also, even if the tomato gets over ripe, even if it gets a little bit wrinkly, it's fine. If it gets moldy, cut off the moldy part, and use it. That ripe part that hasn't gone bad, if you smell it and it smells sweet, it's gold.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #65
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Ah, tomatoes! Some day I shall eat them again. Avoiding seedy stuff right now, but I may just deseed a good ol' 'mater and have it on my tostada tonight! We'll see how brave I am!

Your concoctions always sound so interesting. I'm in "blandsville" still following my diverticulitis debacle, but trying to slowly add in some stuff that I figure maybe won't set me up for another round because boy do I NOT want THAT!

But I love to look at what you're doing daily! So fun to just CONCOCT in the kitchen based on what you have and what sounds like it would go nicely together.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #66
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Ah, tomatoes! Some day I shall eat them again. Avoiding seedy stuff right now, but I may just deseed a good ol' 'mater and have it on my tostada tonight! We'll see how brave I am!

Your concoctions always sound so interesting. I'm in "blandsville" still following my diverticulitis debacle, but trying to slowly add in some stuff that I figure maybe won't set me up for another round because boy do I NOT want THAT!

But I love to look at what you're doing daily! So fun to just CONCOCT in the kitchen based on what you have and what sounds like it would go nicely together.
Thanks for commenting, Char. I certainly don't blame you for wanting to not have a another health scare. Do spices bother you? You could have scrambled eggs with salsa on them, or something like that.

Right now, I'm going to avoid buying celery because I think it overpowers most of the soups I make and while it's summer, I'm not making hot soups. Plus, I hate it, especially with its strings which I just can't seem to deal with. I'm also not buying carrots. I'm more into using cilantro and green onion when I see them.

Also, because my freezer is absolutely crammed with berries and greens I'll be making more fruit nutrition stuff until I can eat some of this down. My portion sizes are really small so even mixed greens go in the freezer.

I got both sour cream and cream cheese and will be experimenting with both of them with the kefir and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #67
Charski
Gadget Gal

Mmmm, I love cilantro and green onions. I'm avoiding salsa right now unless it is blended down smooth - don't want those dang little seeds embedding themselves and causing problems, LOL!

DH and I tried a smoothie regime for a week. We barely made it to 5 days before we quit. We felt completely exhausted and not well-fueled. But, we were doing ONLY smoothies, lots of fruits and veggies but nothing in the way of MEAT which is always a mainstay for me. I do best with meats and fats and a few veggies thrown in every now and then. I'm a carnivore at heart!

I love kefir. It's such good stuff.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #68
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's attempt is much better. I used the usual; strawberries, blackberries, three small oranges, mixed greens, raspberries, lemon juice, Ceylon cinnamon, nutmeg, and kefir and filtered water. But I added a couple of tablespoons of sour cream. It tastes more like a cheesecake and less like kefir. I also got cream cheese and will probably try sour cream and cream cheese together when the kefir runs out.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #69
Charski
Gadget Gal

Sounds like dessert!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #70
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Today's kefir madness is kefir, sour cream, cream cheese, mesclun mix, vanilla, lemon juice, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, Ceylon cinnamon, roasted cocoa nibs, and Splenda. It's absolutely delicious. I have to say, the kefir by itself is kind of nasty. I'm not going to buy it for smoothies after what I have runs out.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #71
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's blend is English cucumber, cilantro, three small oranges, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, kefir, sour cream, cream cheese, lime juice, Ceylon cinnamon, Splenda, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, and filtered water. Delicious. I forgot the chocolate nibs and ginger. Oh, well! Next time, maybe.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #72
Charski
Gadget Gal

How long does this keep you feeling satisfied, Terez?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #73
terez
Major LCF Poster!

It doesn't, really. I really believe that our bodies need nutrients from a lot of different sources, as well as the anti inflammatory effects of some of the additives that I put in. I recently gained a horrible amount of weight because of steroids and amitrityline and I'm trying to take it off as fast as I can.

I'm finally on a new medication that helps my migraines and helps with my appetite. So, now I can finally make progress which I'm doing now.

I want to take the weight off fast, but I still have to protect my health. So, I do the very low carb nutrition blasts and take in enough protein and calcium to protect my muscles and bones.

At some point, I want to slow it down, but right now, I have a goal to take off as much as I can through the end of the year.

Maybe at some point, the smoothies will be meal replacements with protein powders, but for right now, they're just very low carb nutritional support.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #74
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gotcha! I admire your use of foods as ways to increase your overall health. You're a smart cookie!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #75
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Gotcha! I admire your use of foods as ways to increase your overall health. You're a smart cookie!
Thanks! I've made weight loss an art form. It's maintenance that's going to be the big challenge.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #76
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: 1400 calories a day/carb cycling
I just made a cream of onion soup that was very good:

2 large valida onions (Add more or less depending on your woe and desired taste.)
4 cups chicken bone broth
2 cloves crushed garlic
S & P
2 T celery seed
3 cups coconut milk drink (I use the 60 cal. a cup type to save on calories.)
l/2 cup Lupin Bean Flour for thickner

Chop and simmer onions in chicken broth with garlic until soft.
I used an immersion blender to blend. Can easily use a blender.
Add seasoning and coconut milk. Heat to bubbling adding Lupin Bean flour slowly using a whisk.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:13 PM   #77
terez
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds wonderful! I would never have thought to use onion and coconut together, but why not? I'll have to check out that Lupin Bean flour.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #78
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's blend is pretty much the same as before; three small oranges, cilantro, English cucumber, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lime juice, kefir, sour cream, cream cheese, Ceylon cinnamon, hemp seeds, cocoa nibs, fresh ginger, stevia and filtered water. There's just no way to dress up kefir to make it taste like cheese cake. Anyway, it's all gone. I don't think I'll buy it again for smoothies; maybe soups with cauliflower in it in the winter.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #79
terez
Major LCF Poster!

So, the kefir is gone, and I'm still making fruit blasts because my freezer is just crammed with berries and greens. Tonight's experiment consisted of: cilantro, kale, fresh ginger, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, lime juice, stevia, cocoa nibs, hemp seeds, a lot of cream cheese, some sour cream and filtered water. Delicious, but it still doesn't taste like cheesecake.

I think I might add goat milk yogurt or goat cheese for extra tang next time.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #80
Charski
Gadget Gal

Terez, for DH's birthday earlier this month, his son and DIL had sent to him a box of delicious goat cheese products from Surfing Goat Dairy in Hawaii! Man the stuff is awesome. There were 6 or 8 different small jars of goodies - goat cheese tzatziki, sundried tomato goat cheese spread, goat cheese wrapped in grape leaves, and more. Yum.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #81
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Terez, for DH's birthday earlier this month, his son and DIL had sent to him a box of delicious goat cheese products from Surfing Goat Dairy in Hawaii! Man the stuff is awesome. There were 6 or 8 different small jars of goodies - goat cheese tzatziki, sundried tomato goat cheese spread, goat cheese wrapped in grape leaves, and more. Yum.

Sounds wonderful! Perfect with ripe fruit, almonds and wine. Or your home bottled beer!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #82
Charski
Gadget Gal

Eeeeeee, no almonds on my menu now or any time in the foreseeable future, LOL! But I'll tell ya, the tzatziki one was great atop a lamb smashburger, and the sundried tomato stuff was so good with some smoked salmon and crackers. MMMMM.

EVERYTHING is better washed down with a homebrewed ale,

Old 08-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #83
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi, I have been doing green smoothies since 2013.But for last few months went off. But now restarting last couple weeks.
U must know just what u put in them and the cals. for they can add up. I have so many great smoothies . I feel better with them. Just wanted to see if u are still doing them?
kind
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #84
terez
Major LCF Poster!

I am, but I messed up my hand, so it will be a few more days. I got goat milk yogurt, so I'm going to experiment with it.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #85
Charski
Gadget Gal

Oh no, what happened to your hand, Terez? So sorry!!

Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #86
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh no, what happened to your hand, Terez? So sorry!!
I was stupid and fell down on it. Nothing broken, though. I just can't do much right now.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #87
Charski
Gadget Gal

Well I hope it heals up quickly for you. OW.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #88
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well I hope it heals up quickly for you. OW.
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #89
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
Raspberry Choc.smoothie
1 banana{Frozen @2/3c. berries
1T.nut butter {I use pb2{Less cals.
Organic** Cacao powder Or Cocoa powder.1T{I use Cacao
cup almond milk{Low cals. I use Cashew for25 cals for 1 c.
protein powder 1 scoop{or less.
Greens.1 0r more hand fulls.
Superfood blend with protein.1or2 scoops if u like.{U can find those at walmart.
Another tip. Green bananas have less sugar.
U can cut up and put in freezer.

There is a book{At Walmart Called ZeroBelly smoothies >David Zincenko.

Great book and tips.
It takes time and a want to to keep working on being healthier
Plus>.You must exersice and know this is a life change.
As you grow older harder.
Watch those calaries and bad fats and bad carbs.
Find a plan that works for u.
See what u can do with the remaining year. You can.
Going for 4 mile jog and weight machines and sauna. I think detoxing is very good.
If any of u like more recipes on green smoothies{I call smoothies blast.
Do check out that book{Maybe a libery?
Have a good day and hope we can keep this post going.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #90
handbells
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
WOE: it's complicated
Start Date: today!
Can anyone recommend a good substitute for bananas? I'm allergic.

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!" (journal)

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
handbells is online now   Reply With Quote