Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Hot weather cooking

It was 109 here in Phoenix today, so my pot pie is outside on the patio in my Oster Roaster oven. I try not to use my indoor oven during the heat of the day, so I do a lot of cooking early in the morning and put it in the freezer. The microwave doesn't heat up the kitchen much! It is supposed to be 119 by mid week.

So what do you do for hot weather cooking? We eat lots of salads, sandwiches (on home made low carb bread) etc. I grill meats on the gas barbecue, bake and roast in the outdoor roaster oven, use the microwave when possible. Use the crockpot on the patio, use the pressure cooker, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Sharon, as someone who lived for 41 years in Phoenix, I feel for you.

As for cooking, I did the same things you do. Here in SC, it gets pretty hot and humid in summer, so I am still doing those same things. But at least the evenings cool off.

We can get great watermelon and we eat it a lot when it's hot and humid. I am now also looking for recipes for cold soups, besides the usual gazpacho.

Be careful in that weather, Sharon!

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #3
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

112 today. We've lived here since 1964, so we are used to it. I'm still running my evap. Probably won't turn on the AC until monsoon. With the relative humidity at 4 percent, the evap still does a really good job of cooling the house. When the monsoon rolls in and the dew point goes up, we switch over to AC. Grilled steaks for Fathers' Day.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
It was hot for us today - 84*! Hey, here, that IS hot, any hotter and we are certain that the melting point is at hand.

I like anything that can be cooked outdoors - DH loves to do rib steaks over oakwood and freshly-cut rosemary, or pork steaks over charcoal and sage leaves; I like to do chicken thighs on the gas grill, along with anything else that I can cook outside - grilled veggies, hot dogs, brats, fish, whatever.

We also have that little electric outdoor roaster smoker which is EXCELLENT for doing pulled pork, smoked turkey breast, pork chops, ribs, buckboard bacon, salmon.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

116 here today...supposed to be 119 tomorrow. I have this in the outdoor roaster oven right now

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/italian_casserole.html
Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/119/135 Start:size 22, now:size 2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
SMOKIN'!!!!

Sharon, I bite the bullet and fire up the smoker. Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I do it the horse-and-buggy way. I don't own a dedicate smoker. That means just me, an old Weber kettle grill, some charcoal and wood chunks.

I buy two whole chickens or a small turkey if I can find one, then spatchcock it. I dry brine it for 2-3 days in the fridge, then I smoke the snots out of those puppies! I have an Igrill thermometer with two probes for the meat (one per chicken) and an ambient temp probe. That way, I can monitor what's going on with my iPhone, and don't need to go outside to check on things, until one of the alarms go off or the ambient temp drops.

Then, after a 30 minute rest, we feast. I remove the rest of the meat from the bone, keeping each breast half intact for sandwich slices. I put the bones, along with aromatic veggies, into a pot which goes on the gas grill side burner at the lowest setting, for a few hours. Makes a great soup! You can add in any small pieces of meat that you have pulled.

With the large portions of pulled dark meat, I cover it lightly in BBQ sauce, wrap it in foil, then throw it on the gas grill for about 15 minutes.

We don't have to worry about the heat, generally, but we do occasionally end up post-hurricane, for days without power. So I do know a bit about cooking outdoors for prolonged periods.

Beyond that, I have made spaghetti sauce on the side burner, as well, going out to stir now and then only when I get it regulated at a very slow simmer, and boil the pasta on it, too. I make lots in a big pot, both of sauce and pasta, and reheat as needed in the micro.

Last edited by Baricat; 06-20-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
106 here today. I like to make meal out of a salad. I add meat, chicken, tri tip, or shrimp, and love fruit and nuts/seeds. Sometimes I add shiritake noodles. It makes a filling meal with some beef broth or soup on the side and maybe a LC biscuit or slice of bread.
The grill is also my friend during the summer heat. Carne Asada or steaks are my favorites to grill.
I use my slow cooker frequently too. Pulled pork sammies with french fried onions and salad are perfect!
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quick and easy chocolate milkshake

1 carton chocolate protein shake (I use EAS Carb Advantage)
1 oz heavy cream
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup chocolate Torani or Davinci syrup
liquid splenda to taste, if necessary
1 cup ice
1/8 tsp glucomannan powder if you want it a bit thick.

Put everything in a blender or food processor and run until smooth. Tastes like a fountain milkshake, but has a meal's worth of protein and is very filling.

You could also do it with the dry whey protein shake mix and almond milk. I just buy the cases of the protein shakes at Sams club so I can take one with me to work.

Last edited by sbwertz; 06-23-2017 at 11:43 AM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I think I'm gonna throw some big old frozen strawberries in Vita Mix add HWC
vanilla and sugar sub and make ice cream...