Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #61
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/113/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I've picked up a bug from DH's latest business travel (every time he flies, I get the bug by proxy) and I'm pretty much washed-out.
I can't complain as I've spent so much time being free of illness but this year, and the fact that I pick up a bug pretty much every time DH returns from a trip, is wiping me out.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #62
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
Take care and feel better, Slow.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #63
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
quietnite - Thank you!

kwerp - Do the best you can and make it work for you.

As posted in the other thread, I had a slight but better than expected bounce from what I ate on Sunday after yesterday's DD. I intended on doing a water fast, but the hungries got me. Still a good DD at just under 400 cals.

We have cooler weather moving into the area tomorrow and I can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great day!

December Goals:
-Sticking to NOT STRESSING if my schedule goes haywire. Which I seem to be doing well at both.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #64
FairyWren
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/144/133 5'4"
Hi BUDDS i'm back after 3 weeks with my parents, catching up with family and friends, had a great but very busy time.

Ate well but managed not to put any weight on, woo hoo - scale read exactly the same when I got home as it did when I left on the 14th October

Back to rotations now.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi - off to catch up on everyone's news right now!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #65
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I've picked up a bug from DH's latest business travel (every time he flies, I get the bug by proxy) and I'm pretty much washed-out.
I can't complain as I've spent so much time being free of illness but this year, and the fact that I pick up a bug pretty much every time DH returns from a trip, is wiping me out.
Oh how annoying! hope you feel better really soon.

Welcome back Evie! Well-done on maintaining.

Last edited by Bluebelle; 11-07-2017 at 09:15 AM..
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #66
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Slow- sorry to hear about the bug. I rarely get colds or sinus infections anymore, but this fall I had 2 fairly mild colds. I think there is a lot going around right now.

I hope Cindy and Vlo are OK. I know Vlo was moving, but I'd think the move would be complete by now...

__________________________________________________ ________

Today is the first real blast of cold weather we have had. Can't complain, since this fall has been mild, but brrrrr. I did notice it was a bit lighter while I walked from Grand Central to my office. That is nice, but it won't last but a week or 2 for me.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #67
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/137.5/130
Start Date: 08/16/17
I just need to vent and yes I realize this is silly but I still need to just let it out. So here I was eating super clean for a week. I'm basically on lean meat and veggies (and unsweetened cranberry juice) which is fine. Its my goal for November. All was going great and I was losing nicely. Then my DS 16th birthday we went to Outback Steakhouse (nom nom) But I behaved. I had a house salad (no croutons) and a bowl of soup French Onion (no cheese no bread). That's it. Well 30 mins later my stomach was in turmoil and I guarantee none of that food even made it on to be processed. So then the next day up 2 pounds. UGH. It was an up day and soup and salad which didn't even stay in my body should not cause a 2 pound weight gain.

OK done venting. I know its sodium or MSG in the soup but it still is hanging on the scale so I'm doing my usual freak out.

So no eating out when eating clean? I'm not sure what to do or if it was just bad Outback (boo)

Slow..hope you feel better
Welcome back Fairy Wren!! Way to hold your weight. So hard to do while away.
Bluebelle - Thank you! Around us Zumba is on every corner. Its crazy. I just go to my gym but the instructors are very very different. The Tues/Wed girl I like but I barely break a sweat with her. The Sat guy is insane intensity and I love that class. Good luck finding a class you like. Super fun!

Hi everybody else.

Back to work with me.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #68
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post
I just need to vent and yes I realize this is silly but I still need to just let it out. So here I was eating super clean for a week. I'm basically on lean meat and veggies (and unsweetened cranberry juice) which is fine. Its my goal for November. All was going great and I was losing nicely. Then my DS 16th birthday we went to Outback Steakhouse (nom nom) But I behaved. I had a house salad (no croutons) and a bowl of soup French Onion (no cheese no bread). That's it. Well 30 mins later my stomach was in turmoil and I guarantee none of that food even made it on to be processed. So then the next day up 2 pounds. UGH. It was an up day and soup and salad which didn't even stay in my body should not cause a 2 pound weight gain.

OK done venting. I know its sodium or MSG in the soup but it still is hanging on the scale so I'm doing my usual freak out.

So no eating out when eating clean? I'm not sure what to do or if it was just bad Outback (boo)
Wow...Outback and you didn't try the bread? That is some serious willpower

I usually bite my tongue all the time on this topic, but I won't today: you daily weighers are going to drive yourselves bananas unless you have an extremely zen approach to scale fluctuations (and I mean ZEN - like thinking of the numbers you see on the scale almost as if they're somebody else's, and you're a researcher gathering data). Seeing a 2-pound gain from one day to the next could be caused by a million different reasons, and probably one poo will make it go away.

Especially for those of you who are only just starting out JUDDD: I know getting on the scale is a daily motivator, "reality" check for some of you (I mean, I hear...I could never relate to that myself), but I've seen people rapidly get discouraged by the crazy up and down when they weigh themselves every day, or even twice a week. It might be a better idea to do once a week, monthly, etc.

BTW, the above is said with lots of love.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #69
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/130/124
Jeni, I have an excel spreadsheet where I log my daily weight. Next to it, I calculate the 7 day average. When the scale is up, I look at the average to keep me sane. It might help.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #70
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

My fitbit app graphs it for me and I hit the "year" thing and I see this steady downward blue line even if the actual weights ( a different color) bounce like bananas/insanity. It has the blue line, weightloss TREND thing that I just can't get enough of.

So now not only do I weigh almost everyday, I look at the pretty line on my phone multiple times just to see the pretty mountain slope.

Hey, a girl has to obsess on something
Old 11-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #71
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
you daily weighers are going to drive yourselves bananas unless you have an extremely zen approach to scale fluctuations (and I mean ZEN - like thinking of the numbers you see on the scale almost as if they're somebody else's, and you're a researcher gathering data). Seeing a 2-pound gain from one day to the next could be caused by a million different reasons, and probably one poo will make it go away.

BTW, the above is said with lots of love.
It is an excellent point Bluebelle. I know I am guilty of this but I try to focus on my weekly lowest weight. Hm, maybe we should add that to the weigh-in thread. We used to have a Monthly Lowest Weight thread which was great because you could see the overall downward trend- maybe we should do by week! Or maybe one already exists...

Kwerp- just saw your post- looks like we were typing at the same time
Slow - sorry to hear of your ills!
Carly- I was also wondering about some of our MIA folks.
Fairywren- awesome on maintaining!

I posted on the challenge thread too so I won't be repetitive
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #72
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post
My fitbit app graphs it for me and I hit the "year" thing and I see this steady downward blue line even if the actual weights ( a different color) bounce like bananas/insanity. It has the blue line, weightloss TREND thing that I just can't get enough of.

So now not only do I weigh almost everyday, I look at the pretty line on my phone multiple times just to see the pretty mountain slope.

Hey, a girl has to obsess on something
That is actually a VERY Zen way to obsess - because you're literally looking at the big picture and getting motivated by the downwards slope! I approve

Last edited by Bluebelle; 11-07-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #73
Carly

I also use my Fitbit for the trend and Trend Weight is just awesome if you geek out on that kind of thing.

I need the accountability. I'm not overly affected by the daily bounce, but staying away for more than a couple days and I can almost guarantee that I'll be more upset. My eating is much tighter if I'm weighing daily, but we are all so different, so just need to find out what works best. I'm much more likely to avoid snacking if I'm weighing daily as I don't want to be faced with my indiscretion.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #74
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Carly I agree. It's like a little "Jimmeny Cricket" conscience in my phone that will nod at me sadly.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #75
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Enjoyed cooking this UD. I made soft tacos with shredded beef (slow cooker) for dinner.

And for DS's after-school snack I made these WONDERFUL little apple roll-ups. What you do is take 1 slice regular sandwich bread (I bet LC sliced bread would work), and roll it out with a rolling pin until it's flat. I used homemade apple pie filling (diced apples with a little sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves and butter, cooked on the stovetop), but you could do any filling - or even savory like shredded chicken or ground beef. You put about 1 tbsp of the filling in the middle of the flattened-out slice of bread, and then you roll it up and put it seam-side down on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. I brushed a tiny bit of butter on the top, but honestly it didn't even need that - browned up beautifully. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes They taste DELICIOUS - and are super light and crispy. Highly recommended!
Old 11-08-2017, 04:25 AM   #76
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/175/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I also use my Fitbit for the trend and Trend Weight is just awesome if you geek out on that kind of thing.

I need the accountability. I'm not overly affected by the daily bounce, but staying away for more than a couple days and I can almost guarantee that I'll be more upset. My eating is much tighter if I'm weighing daily, but we are all so different, so just need to find out what works best. I'm much more likely to avoid snacking if I'm weighing daily as I don't want to be faced with my indiscretion.
Yep, there are people for whom daily weighing doesn't cause out of proportion emotional stress, and there are people for whom it does. The goal, IMO, is to decide which you are and work with it.

But I don't think there is anyone who is doing the healthy thing by stressing themselves out by thinking, when then see that the scale is up overnight "Oh, I've gained three pounds! It's not fair!" or whatever. Because it's just not true--you haven't "gained three pounds"; the scale went up--but that has next to nothing to do with whether or not you chipped off or added on any fat cells, which is the goal. I repeat: weight loss cannot be judged on a daily basis; you have to apply the "one day at a time" approach to do it, but that's exactly BECAUSE the results are only visible long term.

That said, weighing daily while in maintenance is a different animal--a terrific tool that isn't associated with out-of-proportion mental stress (actually, it provides just the right amount).
Old 11-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #77
Carly

Quote:
Enjoyed cooking this UD. I made soft tacos with shredded beef (slow cooker) for dinner.

And for DS's after-school snack I made these WONDERFUL little apple roll-ups. What you do is take 1 slice regular sandwich bread (I bet LC sliced bread would work), and roll it out with a rolling pin until it's flat. I used homemade apple pie filling (diced apples with a little sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves and butter, cooked on the stovetop), but you could do any filling - or even savory like shredded chicken or ground beef. You put about 1 tbsp of the filling in the middle of the flattened-out slice of bread, and then you roll it up and put it seam-side down on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. I brushed a tiny bit of butter on the top, but honestly it didn't even need that - browned up beautifully. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes They taste DELICIOUS - and are super light and crispy. Highly recommended!
That sounds yummy. The flattened bread doesn't break apart when you roll it up with the filling... I guess it didn't, but there must be some breads that are better than others for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Yep, there are people for whom daily weighing doesn't cause out of proportion emotional stress, and there are people for whom it does. The goal, IMO, is to decide which you are and work with it.

But I don't think there is anyone who is doing the healthy thing by stressing themselves out by thinking, when then see that the scale is up overnight "Oh, I've gained three pounds! It's not fair!" or whatever. Because it's just not true--you haven't "gained three pounds"; the scale went up--but that has next to nothing to do with whether or not you chipped off or added on any fat cells, which is the goal. I repeat: weight loss cannot be judged on a daily basis; you have to apply the "one day at a time" approach to do it, but that's exactly BECAUSE the results are only visible long term.

That said, weighing daily while in maintenance is a different animal--a terrific tool that isn't associated with out-of-proportion mental stress (actually, it provides just the right amount).
Very true. Daily weights do not indicate actual loss or gain day-to-day, but put together over weeks and months they can show some very valuable pieces of data about how you lose/ gain/ maintain. The effects of seasons, foods, sleep patterns, illness, etc... Because of making notes with my daily weigh in I have learned patterns of loss as they relate to TOM and the fact that my weight jumps up each year when I get my flu shot and that when I sleep better my weight is lower, stuff like that.

__________________________________________________ ___

I'm in the Bronx to provide a training, but I can only get a train to this stop once an hour, so I'm here quite early, but I'm chilling in a Starbuck's.

Holy Moly- it's cold. It was in the 30's when I left for the train station at 6:15am (which is late for me). I have my long, down coat on today.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #78
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That sounds yummy. The flattened bread doesn't break apart when you roll it up with the filling... I guess it didn't, but there must be some breads that are better than others for this.
I thought it would break apart but it didn't - and it was really easy to roll up! I really just used regular sandwich bread. I was thinking it would be such a great snack to take to a party - and saves the hassle of having to make dough.

Portia I agree with you about daily weighing being a great tool for those in maintenance - my original comment was about those who were just starting out on JUDDD. I've seen so many people get discouraged and quit because they start JUDDD, weigh themselves every day and see the scale jump up and down maddeningly.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #79
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Carly -- Did you say cold??? 27 outside when I got up. 49 inside. Hey, I live in an off-grid cabin, remember? My technique is to creep down out of the loft, turn on the propane heater, then creep back upstairs till it warms up. It's fun for a few weeks. Then I'm ready to head to Boston to enjoy the easy life!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #80
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Sorry I have been MIA, just full on house guests and life stuff.

All is well, I am maintaining a couple of pounds heavier than I might like, but still good. I am putting in the odd 36 hour fast when I can. Makes me feel great. Been able to get to Zumba twice this week so feeling good.

Hope I remember to weigh in tomorrow morning. It works for me but I always remember Pati's wonderful bouncing ball post... I wonder if someone cleverer than me could find it.

Slow, I am so sorry you have another bug, you don't need that on top of all the other stuff.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #81
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/137.5/130
Start Date: 08/16/17
You are very wise ladies. If you only knew the extent of my obsession with the scale. I weigh at least 3 times a day TBH which I know is really bad but I still do it. I had DH hide the scales once (I had 3 scales and he hid all 3). I went completely crazy that week and had to find them. I didn't use them but had to at least know where they were. I have a very long unhealthy relationship with scales. When I was 11 (I started puberty a bit early so I was starting to get some normal curves) anyways my mother made me weigh myself every morning and record my weight on a chart in the bathroom where everyone in the family could see. I weighed 111 and was 5'4" at the time. She thought my curves were signs that I was getting a little chubby. I remember I went down to 107 and was praised for that. Long story but that was the beginning of my scale obsession. And I don't know how to stop?

Bluebelle thank you for the advice and you are right right right. But how do I stop? The scale obsession is way worse than any eating habit I have. I seriously start freaking out when I can't weigh myself...what if I gained??? I am that person who on vacation makes a trip to the Target just to grab a scale off the shelf to weigh. I'm a mess. I know its irrational but it is so ingrained after nearly 40 years of this behavior. Any tips on how to wean from scale? I have tried I promise but the anxiety from not weighing is really unbearable. And yes no bread, no steak no blooming onion I love those! I should be rewarded (on the scale LOL) I need help.

Who said Zen? Love that! I need to pretend its a research project. I am a chemist so that makes great sense. Not sure if it will work but I will give it a go.

Thank you ladies for all the very solid advice. I will work on this once I figure out a game plan to wean away my scales.

Back to work.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #82
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Stay here with us. We can all do obsessive things together. Like other things, maybe just look at yourself and say, "There I am doing that thing again. Okay." Sometimes just being aware and seeing it but trying not to judge yourself is a big thing.

I am beginning to look at my diet thinking, thanks to doing JUDDD. "Oh, I'm terrible, I've ruined everything." just jumps into my thoughts when I eat something that used to be out of bounds, even though on this WOE, it's okay. But I'm beginning to just notice and say"there's my diet head again, it's an UD, I'm okay" or "I'll be fine if this DD isn't perfect there's always the next one."

Just noticing and letting it go is HUGE and different for me.

Maybe that will help with scales????

PS I remember being 5'5" and 120 in 8th grade but because I was bigger than all the other girls in height and development being told and feeling I was fat. Man, you just can't win it seems.

Last edited by quietnite; 11-08-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #83
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
To those of you who feel you are terrible because you are obsessed with the scale. There are a lot worse problems to have. Much better to be obsessed with the scale, than to totally avoid it for 6 months and then find out the the 50 lbs you thought you gained were really 80....... What I wouldn't give to go back and be a daily weigher.

I have my first DD under my belt. All I ate today were veggies. I'm a little hungry right now, but I'll be ok, because tomorrow I can have my beloved scrambled eggs for brunch!

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #84
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
To those of you who feel you are terrible because you are obsessed with the scale. There are a lot worse problems to have. Much better to be obsessed with the scale, than to totally avoid it for 6 months and then find out the the 50 lbs you thought you gained were really 80....... What I wouldn't give to go back and be a daily weigher.
Eh. I wouldn't rush to uphold scale obsession in this case - it's not a "lesser of two evils" scenario. What led you to avoid the scale for 6 months - and me, for 3 freakin' years - was not just that we weren't in the habit of weighing regularly, but systematic denial about our weight across several levels.

Avoiding the scale completely as a symptom of denial and detrimental scale obsession are the both equally bad. I've done both in my life. They both create horrible anxiety. The "scale deniers" are constantly ruminating in the background about how they're not doing anything and are going to die fat. And on the opposite side, even those who are at a "healthy" weight (or getting close to it) but are scale-obsessed* are eroding their mental health and letting it siphon their joy by tying whatever the scale says on a given day to their self-worth.

Some middle ground is needed - by all means, if it's motivating/interesting, weigh daily. Just, like I told Jeni, approach it from the Zen-est perspective possible. Daily weigh-ins should just be potentially interesting information from a 'my own researcher' standpoint, not a source of frustration.

For myself, I favor weighing once a month, or once every 6 weeks. That's just me. I go by clothes' fit much more, or how I feel. Ultimately, if I'm staying on plan, it doesn't matter.

*Just to be clear: I am not tossing around the term "scale-obsessed" lightly. To me, someone who weighs every day is not necessarily "scale-obsessed". A good example of this are our long-term maintainers (Zen masters).
Old 11-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #85
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post
You are very wise ladies. If you only knew the extent of my obsession with the scale. I weigh at least 3 times a day TBH which I know is really bad but I still do it. I had DH hide the scales once (I had 3 scales and he hid all 3). I went completely crazy that week and had to find them. I didn't use them but had to at least know where they were. I have a very long unhealthy relationship with scales. When I was 11 (I started puberty a bit early so I was starting to get some normal curves) anyways my mother made me weigh myself every morning and record my weight on a chart in the bathroom where everyone in the family could see. I weighed 111 and was 5'4" at the time. She thought my curves were signs that I was getting a little chubby. I remember I went down to 107 and was praised for that. Long story but that was the beginning of my scale obsession. And I don't know how to stop?

Bluebelle thank you for the advice and you are right right right. But how do I stop? The scale obsession is way worse than any eating habit I have. I seriously start freaking out when I can't weigh myself...what if I gained??? I am that person who on vacation makes a trip to the Target just to grab a scale off the shelf to weigh. I'm a mess. I know its irrational but it is so ingrained after nearly 40 years of this behavior. Any tips on how to wean from scale? I have tried I promise but the anxiety from not weighing is really unbearable. And yes no bread, no steak no blooming onion I love those! I should be rewarded (on the scale LOL) I need help.

Who said Zen? Love that! I need to pretend its a research project. I am a chemist so that makes great sense. Not sure if it will work but I will give it a go.

Thank you ladies for all the very solid advice. I will work on this once I figure out a game plan to wean away my scales.

Back to work.
I'm afraid I don't know what the right answer is, although I very much wish I did! My first instinct would be to say that it might be good to seek counselling for this. Like many of us here, your mom did tremendous damage to you at a tender age with her (probably well-meaning, but intensely flawed) tactics to control your weight and establish "right" and "wrong" standards for how people should look/weigh (I was "facepalming" as I read), and you shouldn't underestimate the effects that has had on your behavior and mindsets now. I am interested to see what others have to say, and meanwhile send you all the hugs.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #86
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

There is no right answer; no one answer that works for everyone. Let us agree to start there.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #87
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Carly -- Did you say cold??? 27 outside when I got up. 49 inside. Hey, I live in an off-grid cabin, remember? My technique is to creep down out of the loft, turn on the propane heater, then creep back upstairs till it warms up. It's fun for a few weeks. Then I'm ready to head to Boston to enjoy the easy life!
I'm huddled in my office with my space heater on full blast and waves of chills racking my body. I could never live off the grid (what about flat irons and hair dryers )

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know what the right answer is, although I very much wish I did! My first instinct would be to say that it might be good to seek counselling for this. Like many of us here, your mom did tremendous damage to you at a tender age with her (probably well-meaning, but intensely flawed) tactics to control your weight and establish "right" and "wrong" standards for how people should look/weigh (I was "facepalming" as I read), and you shouldn't underestimate the effects that has had on your behavior and mindsets now. I am interested to see what others have to say, and meanwhile send you all the hugs.
You can add me to the well-meaning mom club. I was never overweight as a child, but she feared I might become overweight so my daily school lunch was a 100 calorie peach yogurt and 1 fig Newton (I believe she told me it was chocolate). Needless to say- no one traded with me I think once per week I got a tuna fish sandwich, but maybe less often than that. No further explanation about my messed up relationship with food, body size, and the scale. The only pictures she has of me in her house are from the years I was anorexic- it used to bother me, but at this point, I have let it go.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #88
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/138/130# 5'6" 60yrs
WOE: JUDDD+LC
Start Date: Aug 2015 JUDDD experiment
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post

PS I remember being 5'5" and 120 in 8th grade but because I was bigger than all the other girls in height and development being told and feeling I was fat. Man, you just can't win it seems.
I really relate to this. Our school nurse had everyone stand in a long line to be weighed and measured. She would call out the stats to an assistant to be recorded. When it was my turn (I was 5’6” and 132 pounds...2 pounds above “ideal” and quite muscular) the nurse whispered “Are you sensitive about your weight? I can whisper it to be recorded.” I had no idea before that that my weight should be embarrassing to me... At 60 years old, I still can’t admit to my 5’1” friends that I weigh over 120. My 5’2” sister still claims I’m “overweight” unless I’m under 130 (which isn’t likely to happen). These scars run deep.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #89
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Jeni, I want to give your younger self a hug. You too, Carly. I hope that more moms know better now than to give their young daughters anxiety about weight, food, etc., but I know it still happens. My mom has always been very supportive, but even the few things she's said that negatively impacted the way I look at food or weight or myself stick with me to this day.

Well, here I am on another DD, so far so good, but about to eat my meat-and-cheese lunch at 10am. Hehe. Can't help myself.

Here's something silly and positive for the day: I read a tip online about how to make instant hot chocolate with NO lumps of dry powdered cocoa mix! Here's what you do: scoop the powdered mix into your cup. Add about two tablespoons of milk or whatever you use to make your cocoa. Stir it up until the powder is completely liquified and you're left with a kind of slurry of cocoa. Then add the rest of your liquid and viola! I tried it this morning with my diet Swiss Miss and was amazed! The world is dark and full of terrors, but I have finally conquered instant hot chocolate. And darn it, I'm going to celebrate that!
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #90
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You can add me to the well-meaning mom club. I was never overweight as a child, but she feared I might become overweight so my daily school lunch was a 100 calorie peach yogurt and 1 fig Newton (I believe she told me it was chocolate). Needless to say- no one traded with me I think once per week I got a tuna fish sandwich, but maybe less often than that. No further explanation about my messed up relationship with food, body size, and the scale. The only pictures she has of me in her house are from the years I was anorexic- it used to bother me, but at this point, I have let it go.
I may or may not have said a couple of expletives reading this!

What is especially heinous about this 'well meaning mom' example is that you probably skated close to malnourishment with such a lunch. What is incredible to me (as a mom) is that mothers naturally have an incredibly instinct to nourish and feed their kids - the thought of DS having a rumbling belly all day at school or not being able to focus is just the worst. In your mom's case the anxiety of having a daughter that conformed to her physical appearance standards superseded that instinct. That is crazy, crazy messed-up, Carly. I know you know this already.