Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Lower Carb fruitcake

Ok, so by no means low carb but lower carb and killer good. Last yr I was craving candied citron, so I just had to come up with a version of a regular Icebox Fruitcake that I've made for yrs, requires no baking and the cake part is graham cracker crumbs and sweetened condensed milk. I've made it for the past 35 yrs or so and I just knew that if I didn't come up with a lower carb version, it wouldn't be safe in the house. I don't have many things I can't have in the house and hubby is terrific if he brings something in and I say, sry but you must get it out now !! So I hated not to fix this for him. And until last yr, fixing it hadn't been a problem. But my goodness, I just knew I had to have a taste of citron and maraschino cherries. Being diabetic, I'm very good at keeping my #'s where they need to be so, it doesn't hurt for me to eat this here and there when I've had a protein fat meal. So take this recipe as a guide and make substitutions. But as is, it's killer good and when wrapped tightly in saran, will keep for at least 3 months, couldn't make it last any longer (had to eat the last of it)

6 oz dates, chopped small and tossed w/ some of the flour mix
7 oz maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped small
8 oz of citron or candied fruitcake mix, rinsed w/ hot water to remove the syrup
2 c. pecans, 2 c. English walnuts, no need to chop
5 oz less sugar craisins, chopped and tossed w/ some of the flour mix
Combine above in a bowl.
Mix the dry ingredients.......
3/8 c. Eloff flour mix, 3/8 c. graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 c. brown Truvia,
1/4 c. Lakanto brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp.
baking powder.
Mix this dry mixture w/ the fruit/nut mix.
Mix wet........3 eggs, 3 Tbl. VitaFiber or FiberYum, mix well
w/ a mixer, you want frothy. Mix with the flour/fruit/nut mixture very
well and cover. Let sit 1-2 hrs, tossing it around every now and then.
You want the wetness to go thru out the whole mixture before you bake,
because once it starts baking, it won't, dry spots will remain dry. I actually made mine late 1 night and let it sit over night before baking the next day.
I used 4 small loaf pans. Bake at 300 for 1 hr. in pans which have been greased and parchment sling added (pack the mixture in the pan well). Let cool in pans for 24 hrs. This allows it to thoroughly cool and set up before you move it. Remove from pans, wrap well in saran and keep in fridge. Would last several days at room temp easily.
I wait until it's thoroughly cold before unwrapping 1 loaf and slicing the whole thing.

Last edited by JJJ'sMom; 11-16-2017 at 10:52 PM..
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That sounds good. Thanks for the recipe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
at_last
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Sounds delicious! My grandmother was famous for her faux "fruitcake" (actually orange gumdrop spice cake) and even sold dozens of them every Christmas. I would dearly love to recreate that recipe.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote