Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pina
Dukan shortcut

I've come up with a blend of Dukan regular and the Dukan Stairs, which I plan to start in a few days. As I am just a few pounds off my "happy weight" this shortcut might just be the trick. I recently looked at both Atkins 20 and 40, but the plan did not agree with me (too much fat + I have no gall bladder) so I am reverting to Dukan. This plan has worked well for me in the past. More importantly I would also like to pinpoint my carb tolerance level. I believe that somewhere around 50 - 80g per day could be tolerated at maintenance.

Here's the plan if anyone is interested:

Week 1 /ATTACK- Protein only for 2 days (or 7 days if you need to lose over 40 lbs) followed by 5 days of alternating PP and PV days
Daily food selection: Cottage cheese, 2% fat yogurt, eggs, tuna, salmon, chicken, lean mince and low GI vegetables on PV days
Daily essentials: 1.5 tabsp Oat Bran, 6-8 glasses water or herbal teas

Week 2 and possibly 3 CRUISE - Alternate PP and PV days until happy weight/goal is achieved.
Daily essentials: Increase Oat Bran to 2 tbsp, 6-8 glasses water or herbal teas

Week 3 and possibly 4 - CONSOLIDATION - Stay here for 5 days for each pound you've lost. Continue with PV days, have 1 PP day per week and add 1 piece of low GI fruit (I'm choosing blueberries)
Daily essentials: Oat Bran 2 tbsp, 6-8 glasses water or herbal teas.

Week 5 - CONSOLIDATION - Continue with PV days, have 1 PP day per week and add 1 piece of low GI fruit (I'm choosing blueberries) and 2 slices wholegrain bread.
Daily essentials: Oat Bran 2 tbsp, 6-8 glasses water or herbal teas.

Week 6 - CONSOLIDATION If you've had no weight gain, you can now add 40g of low fat hard cheese(<40%fat). So you eat protein, veg, fruit, bread and cheese each day. You need to set aside 1 PP day per week or 2 if you are gaining.

Week 7 - STABILIZATION You can now add more carbs to your weekly plan - I'm choosing 220g of legumes twice a week (you could substitute this with 220g of cooked brown rice once a week). So you're eat protein, veg, fruit, bread and cheese each day and legumes or rice 1-2 times a week. Continue to set aside 1 PP day per week or 2 if you are gaining. This is mandatory for maintenance.
Increase Oat Bran to 3 tbsp per day and maintain the water/tea drinks.

After week 7 (or less if this plan worked faster for you) you should be able to maintain your weight with 1 or 2 PP days per week.
I won't be honoring the Dukan celebration meals, but will allow the odd treat

Would anyone like to join me on this one?

Last edited by Pina; 01-09-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Pina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
Very, very interesting way to do this.

I used the D diet a few years back, but do not remember the pure protein part. This does sound like a winner.

Good Luck and please keep us posted!

Wonder if you posted this at the Playground you might get a lot more people interested in this ! just a suggestion for you
Old 01-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for popping in Leona.

Starting today 55.9kg (123 lbs)

B: 15g OB, 100g low fat yogurt, 2 egg whites
L: 270g canned tuna
D: 100g ham, 2 eggs

733 cals - 30% Fat, 62% Protein and 9% carb

Exercise: Usual 30 min brisk walk + 15 mins isometric daily dozen exercises
Old 01-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

keep posting - my try it - but not at the moment

Feb. I will see!

I remember you from a year or 2 ago - how are things going for you? Hope all is well!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
keep posting - my try it - but not at the moment

Feb. I will see!

I remember you from a year or 2 ago - how are things going for you? Hope all is well!
I'm very well thanks Leona. I probably switch plans too often looking for the one that suits me best. A low carb Dukan worked for me in the past. Trial and error has told me to add the carbs very slowly ...hence the 7 steps over 7 weeks. I may be able to whittle this down to half that.
Maintenance means I need to watch what I east and pull back when I creep over my range. Ideally I'd like to have another year in the 120-122 lb bracket, so not a lot to trim.
I never lost anything after 2 weeks on Atkins, which was disappointing.
Hope you're also doing well.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 AM   #6
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 139/121
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: 8/12/2008 Atkins; Restart 1/2/2018 Dukan
Hi Pina! I was just sitting here beating myself up because I'm a diet hopper. I keep switching and not sticking with one way of eating and following it through to success. I'm all over the place and failing because of it.

I might give Dukan another go and follow it through this time. I still have my book and have been in a Dukan Facebook group for the past year, although I really haven't followed the diet. I struggle with keeping the fat so low. I like the higher level of protein, veggies, and dairy in the Duken diet - I just don't know what to do when it comes to high fat vs. low fat.

I'll get my book back out and re-read it. I bought an air fryer last year to help with low-fat recipes in support of the Dukan diet, but haven't even really used the thing! I know I have got to quit switching around because my body can't figure out what the heck I'm doing.

My Facebook
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Hi Maria,
Join the diet hopping club I swear Dukan will become my home base. I've dabbled in too many plans over the years, but confess that there is an element of excitement when I'm preparing to start each one. My almonds and seeds will keep until stabilization when some of our favorite good fats can be eaten. Until then I'll jump through the ropes as I've planned.

I think if you stick to a the good mono fats Vs saturated dairy and meat fats, (like the Mediterranean plan) that would be beneficial. I'm sure that nuts, seeds, avocado, plant oils are sit better with me.

I like the airfryers too and it's on my wish list. Hubby loves chips!

I think what I like most about Dukan are the guidelines/structure. I loathe following diet meal plans and buy my usual items plus whatever is on special and decide what I'll eat each day based on what's in the pantry. I like the flexibility of choosing what I can eat.

Looking forward to chatting with you and returning Dukan fans.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 Attack
Happy to see a 300g loss, but woke with a thumping headache. Gee I thought I'd had enough to drink. Anyway after eating, it faded.

B: 1.5 T oat bran, 100g low fat yoghurt, 3 egg whites Whisked together and microwaved for 90 secs (my galette yesterday was a flop, so I'll sick to microwaving my porridge)
L: 250g chicken breast
100g low fat yoghurt
D: 2 eggs, can sardines

Cals 977 F31% C 10% P 59%

Looking forward to veggies tomorrow

Last edited by Pina; 01-12-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

I like the way you are posting weights and macronutrient ratios Pina! It will help me follow suit. I'll get things sorted out this weekend with the Dukan guidelines and allowable foods, then dig in hard core Monday. I'll be out of town visiting my son this weekend, but I'll try to eat as clean as I can.

Today

B: 2 eggs sauteed w/ broccoli and feta
S: Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
L: Chicken tenderloins
D: Salmon and eggs

I'll log my portions and macros starting Monday. I actually enjoy weighing and logging food and tinkering with macronutrient ratios.

I want to lose 15 lbs. I have issue with portion control. I do best between 1000 and 1100 calories.

My Facebook

Last edited by Maria527; 01-12-2018 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria527 View Post
I like the way you are posting weights and macronutrient ratios Pina! It will help me follow suit. I'll get things sorted out this weekend with the Dukan guidelines and allowable foods, then dig in hard core Monday. I'll be out of town visiting my son this weekend, but I'll try to eat as clean as I can.

Today

B: 2 eggs sauteed w/ broccoli and feta
S: Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
L: Chicken tenderloins
D: Salmon and eggs

I'll log my portions and macros starting Monday. I actually enjoy weighing and logging food and tinkering with macronutrient ratios.

I want to lose 15 lbs. I have issue with portion control. I do best between 1000 and 1100 calories.
That looks very Dukanish, Maria. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Day 1 Cruise

The 2 days on attack brought me very close to goal, having lost 800g. It's possible I can move into Consolidation in 5 days time.

Today's weigh = 55.1kg (121 lbs)
Today's food=
B: 20g oat bran, 2 eggwhites, 100g yoghurt (microwaved porridge)
L: 150g cooked chicken, 200g green beans
D: 2 eggs, 150g cooked chicken, 100g lettuce
S: 250ml warmed skim milk

Cals 1067 F30% C16% P54%

Last edited by Pina; 01-13-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #12
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

So you are heating yoghurt, oat bran, and egg whites in the microwave for your porridge? I used to mix the oat ban in my yoghurt cold and have hard boils eggs on the side.

You did a good job on attack! I have more to lose than you, 15 lbs. Hopefully I can get off to a good start tomorrow.

My Facebook
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria527 View Post
So you are heating yoghurt, oat bran, and egg whites in the microwave for your porridge? I used to mix the oat ban in my yoghurt cold and have hard boils eggs on the side.

You did a good job on attack! I have more to lose than you, 15 lbs. Hopefully I can get off to a good start tomorrow.
Yes, you can do that as well, Maria. I like a hot breakfast even in our summers.
Soon I'll be able to add some frozen blueberries to the blend. It only takes 90 secs in the microwave.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #14
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Cruise - Day 2 - PP day

No weight change - 55.1kg (121lbs)

B: 2 T oat bran, 100g yoghurt, 2 egg whites
L: 150g cooked chicken breast, 100g yoghurt
D: 150g cooked chicken breast, 2 eggs
S: 90g can sardines with balsamic vinegar

F 33g (31%) C 26g (11%) P 142g (58%) Cals: 944

After some research on macro breakdown, one source suggests these:-
Lower carb for fat loss = F 30-40% C 10-30% P 40-50%
Moderate carb for maintenance = F 25-35% C 30-50% P 25-35%

My BMR is currently 1057 (age 66) and my TDEE is 1374 (adding 'light' exercise @ 1.3 x BMR)
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Cruise - Day 3 - PV day

No weight change - 55.1kg (121lbs) Hopefully, just 3 more days on Cruise. This could be my bottom weight??

B: 2 T oat bran, 100g yoghurt, 2 egg whites
L: 150g cooked chicken breast, 125g cooked frozen spinach, 2 eggs, 100g yoghurt
D: 125g cooked frozen spinach, 2 eggs, 250 ml skim milk
S: 90g can sardines with balsamic vinegar

F 37g (35%) C 36g (15) P 115g (52%) Cals: 981
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
hopetolose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 134/134/121
Hello, I am going to start back on this plan again today. I did this a few years ago and was pretty successful until a stall. I should have stayed with this, but got discouraged and moved on. I have "dieted" all of life and had gotten to maintenance back in 2017, but then with the holidays, I let 10# creep back on.
Would appreciate any support and advice that anyone can give me. I will be posting my menu each day for accountability. Thanks
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

Pina - You're doing great! How did you come up with your BMR?

Hopetolose - I'm officially on today too! ... and, I signed up for the online coaching program to help me stay on track. I started this diet last year, but did not follow it through. This time I plan to follow through to the end! Hopefully the online coaching will be exactly what I need to stay on course.

I'll start posting food/exercise log tomorrow (or maybe tonight). I want to get through the entire day before I post anything in case I deviate from my plans.

Sunday, I visited my son who lives a couple of hours from me and took him to Outback Steakhouse. I had grilled salmon and steamed veggies, but I also ate French onion soup and had some of the brown bread they serve. I justified the bread by telling myself I'd start my diet Monday.

Yesterday, I ate mostly Dukan approved. I made a Galette for the first time and it came out well. I spread cream cheese on it and a hard-fried egg (using just a tad of spray oil in the pan) . But I prefer to make a muffin, slice it in half, and toast it in the toaster oven. Then spread a little cream cheese and a hard-fried egg or sometimes salmon. My husband made chili for dinner, mainly meat and veggies (no beans), but he put beer in it which made it a no-no. I ate bowl. Of course, I justified that by saying my Dukan coaching officially starts Tuesday.

No more deviations!

My Facebook
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Cruise - Day 4 - PP day

No weight change - 55.1kg (121lbs) No toilet now for 2 days ops:

B: 2 T oat bran, 200g yoghurt, 2 egg whites
L:
D:
S:

F g ( %) C g (%) P g (%) Cals:

I haven't decided what yummy protein foods I'll buy today, so I'll fill in later.

Welcome hopetolose. It's nice to see our support group growing.
Maria, my post re BMR wasn't allowed so I can only suggest you find an online calculator. You are suppose to eat your BMR cals at least and then add more calories for the level of exercise you do.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #19
hopetolose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 134/134/121
Thank you for the welcome. I did well today and know I can do this again.

Today's menu:
2 eggs, 1-1/2 T oat bran
4 oz fish and shitataki noodles (sounds like a weird combination)
4 oz pork, 1 cup yogurt and 1/2 cup sf jello.

Have a great evening.
Hope
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #20
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Cruise - Day 4 - PP day

No weight change - 55.1kg (121lbs) No toilet now for 2 days ops:
I'm definitely not eating enough, but trying to keep the carbs low. Maybe I'll have more eggs.

L: 100g cottage, 90g tuna
D: 180 tuna, 2 eggs

F 22g ( 26 %) C 34g (18%) P 107 g (56%) Cals: 758
Old 01-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #21
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

can you have sauerkraut? Bubbles is a good brand as it is pure, never heated, etc. now I make my own, seems like a year or 2 back we had a gal on this diet that said she made her own sauerkraut, it works for me and I have had C problems for years, just a few spoonsfull once a day and "I Go" been regular ever since eating my home made kraut
Old 01-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #22
Pina
Senior LCF Member

I'm sure you can, Leona. I love sauerkraut too. Only downside is the high sodium content which causes a water weight gain for me overnight. I also avoid ham for that reason. I would also check the carbohydrate amount on the label.

Can we cheat and use protein powder? I'm tiring of fish, eggs and chicken every day.
A smoothie with oat bran in the morning would be a change....even adding a spoon of flaxmeal would help.

Last edited by Pina; 01-16-2018 at 06:25 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 AM   #23
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

Dr. Dukan does not recommend protein drinks, but I don't see the harm in using and egg white protein powder.

This is on the Dukan website:

We don’t recommend protein powder as a part of the Dukan Diet. It's not that it is dangerous or of poor quality, it’s that protein powder does not constitute real food. People are not meant to get their nutrients from powder. If you use protein powder as a weight loss aid, you will eventually tire of it and go back to eating real foods, at which point your weight will rebound. In addition, protein powders are made up of highly concentrated proteins which can throw off your body’s natural balance. There is no reason to fill up on man-made powders rather than eating a good filet of fish, some grilled meat, cottage cheese or yogurt. Protein powder is not any cheaper than protein rich foods so even from a financial stand point; buying powders doesn’t make any sense. The same applies to the protein drinks.

My Facebook

Last edited by Maria527; 01-17-2018 at 02:48 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #24
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for that Maria. You just savedme quite a few $$s. I'm sure that will help others as well.

I'll post again tonight with my meal plan. Suffice to say the added 2 tbsp flaxmeal worked, there is but no more weight loss (currently 121 lbs).
Not sure whether to do another week on cruise ( eating more ) or push on to consolidation ?

Last edited by Pina; 01-17-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Cruise - Day 5 - PV day

No weight change - 55.1kg (121lbs), but success with toilet after 2 tbsp flaxmeal added yesterday

L: 120g cottage,120 celery, 150 lettuce, 80 tomato
D: Beef Stroganoff, 200 green beans

F 25g ( 27 %) C 56g (27%) P 94 g (45%) Cals: 842

Last edited by Pina; 01-17-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 AM   #26
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

Pina - Your calories do look low; what is your goal weight? I'm not one to talk, because mine are too high, I need to lower.

I've not been posting my progress because I've been sick with flu the past few days. Despite being sick, I did start my Dukan program and have eaten clean with the exception of a few cough drops. I have not exercised for a few days.

My starting weight was 137; currently 133.4.

Yesterday was...
Coffee w/ half & half and stevia
5.3 ounces Greek yogurt w/ 1.5 T oat bran
Hard boiled egg
Grilled chicken tenderloins
Cottage cheese
Ginger tea

My Facebook
Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #27
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Hi Maria,
Hope you are feeling a little better today.
Couldn't agree more with you re the cals. I figure I've reached that "happy place".My body is obviously saying "No More". I've maintained in the 54's (119-120 lbs) in the past, but looked a tad gaunt.

So with an 800g (1.8 lbs) loss I'll more into Consolidation - I'll do 2 weeks of fruit adding, then add the next carb.
Today I added 70g blueberries (frozen ones) and a half cup of water into my oat bran porridge. The 100g yoghurt is the post cooked topping, which also helps it cool. My PP day will be Thursday. I bulk cooked and then froze chicken breasts yesterday and bought a lot of canned tuna. Along with cottage cheese and eggs, those have been cemented as my protein choices.

Lunch will be a cottage cheese salad and tonight will be a repeat of yesterday's, as we still have Stroganof over. I need to get those calories up as well
Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 AM   #28
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

Pina, you,ve done well! It will be awhile before I get to Consolidation Phase.

I've been struggling with Dr. Dukan's fat free recommendations, so I started toying with macronutrient ratios until I came up with one I think I can live with. Then I remembered you had been posting your ratio, so I came online to look. Seems I ended up with a ratio very close to what you've been posting.

30% F
18% C (Now that I'm moving on to Cruise Phase)
53% P

What have you been drinking? Do you drink coffee, tea, or diet soda?

Also, what percent fat are your dairy products?

I've been using regular Half & Half in my coffee, 1% cottage cheese, Part Skim Ricotta (rarely), and Philadelphia 2x Protein Cream Cheese Spread(1 T on my muffin). My plain Greek yoghurt is nonfat though. I emailed a Dukan coach about this and got in trouble for using the higher fat versions. I'd be willing to use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese, but nonfat cream cheese taste like cardboard.

I think I'll keep using my products and just try to keep fat close to 30%. I don't believe it's healthy to go much lower than that.

I'm feeling a bit better, but still not 100%. I decided to take one more day off work so as not to spread contagious germs at the office.

I wish I could exercise. I don't think I can do cardio and my chest and lungs are still weak, but I might be able to do a little strength training, like dumbbells.

Yesterday;

B: Coffee w/ Half & Half, Stevia
Salmon on and oat bran muffin w/ cream cheese

L: Egg drop soup

D: Cottage cheese

My Facebook
Old 01-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #29
Pina
Senior LCF Member

I like those macro %, Maria. No fat products are usually very higher in carbs (added sugar), so I'm choosing more low fat dairy. My yoghurt is labelled "light" and has 3.9g per 100g fat, but I'm b not sure what % that is. I know the full fat ones have 8-10g per 100. I have a cup of warmed skim milk before bed sometimes, if my carb allocation will allow it. (I confess to sneaking a slice of cheddar very occasionally). I drink a lot of herbal tea, green tea and water, but just 1 coffee per day. Sorry I cannot learn to enjoy diet soda.

Exercise is mainly for strength and fitness. Not sure if it help one lose weight, but perhaps getting into the habit early will help you continue once in maintenance, when I think it does the most good.....along with that 1 PP day per week to shed any excess stored carbs. I'm not an expert, this is just what I've found over the years.

Definitely no exercise for you while you're recovering. Take it easy and rest.
Happy Dukaning!

PS Another 55.1 kg reading - 7 days straight at that number. I'll post food after....

Last edited by Pina; 01-19-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Old 01-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #30
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Off the plateau and a nice 54.8kg ( 120.8 lbs) result. I haven't been there since August last year. Looks like low carb - low fat works best for me. I wonder why I was attracted to try other plans.

Last edited by Pina; 01-20-2018 at 10:39 AM..