Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #31
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Great results, Carolyn!

I am looking forward to seeing how your plan works when adding food back in. That is the part that doesn’t work well for me even though my plan is keto. I don’t like the way I feel after fasts longer than about 24 hrs or so. I hope to pick up some helpful ideas from your experience.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #32
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I got caught up on the IDM blog this morning and started the new podcast (One Podcast to Rule Them All That's a Lord of the Rings reference if anyone doesn't know).

I like it. I like the production being more like Serial or a TV documentary. The music is a bit much, but they'll probably get that sorted. The thing I don't like about other podcasts is that many podcasters really seem to be all about the sound of their own voice. I was listening to Ketogenic Athlete for a while (by the Ketoevangilist guys) and they had one episode where Stephen Phinney was a guest. Score, right? One of the hosts just rambled on. If you get a guy like Phinney on, hush up and let him talk. You can tell us about your breakfast next week.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #33
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Quote:
You should eat constantly to lose weight? How does that work? That’s like saying you should spray your clothes with water more often so that it dries faster.
Dr. Fung and another of his common sense comments. lol

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #34
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
I woke up yesterday and decided to do a 36 hour fast (water & ketoade only). I'm currently OMAD anyway so thought to go ahead and attempt longer fasts. I am now on hour 40 and depending on how I feel after I work out I plan to go for 48 hours. Either way, I will break my fast with a 1/2 oz. of macadamia nuts, wait 30 minutes and eat bacon, eggs & avocado. I'll check back in later on how things are going.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #35
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I had my 45 minute interval training workout. I felt great, more sweat than normal, no weakness or dizziness. My performance felt more robust than usual so I don't know if that is attributed to the increased HGH or my body just needed a reset from a longer fast I'll take it.

I don't eat directly after workouts anyway as I just refuse to allow HGH/Autophagy to diminish by going into a fed state. In this particular case, I don't feel hungry as a matter of fact, I feel the same way I do on a normal day until I eat my meal so again, I will continue on and try for 48 hours.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #36
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
You are doing great, Rosebud! Thanks for sharing this. I don't do intensive workouts but I do strength training and lighter cardio. I haven't had any problems doing these in a fasted state. Good point about not eating after workouts. Good to keep that autophagy going afterwards.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #37
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwwilson View Post
Hi everyone,

A quick update on what has turned into an amazing journey!

This originally started out on June 28th as a regularly scheduled 3 Day "Fung style" fast, as I was allowing myself heavy cream in coffee once day. On day three it evolved into an open ended extended fast - no set end date. I had assumed I would end the fast when I traveled to Southern California at the end of July if not before then. Instead I chose to continue the fast.

Today is day 103 - this coming Tuesday will be the end of week 15.
I continue to feel well as long as I get enough salt to keep my blood pressure in a normal range. I continue to supplement with salt, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, CoQ10, Fish Oil and a high quality, easily absorbable multivitamin. I'm very active, and take an exercise class two days a week.

Basic statistics:

June 28, 2017 - Begin Modified Fast
Weight. 194.5
Bust. 44
Waist. 37.5
Hips. 42
Back. 35
Thighs 23.5

October 7, 2017 - Day 102
Weight. 146
Bust. 40
Waist 32
Hips. 36
Back 31.5
Thighs 20

Currently, I intend to end this fast on November 1st and start a two month long refeeding process using a Keto plan for breaking an extended fast.

I've learned an incredible amount about fasting and the human body over the last 3 - 4 months. The most important being that while extended fasting can be fairly easy for many people, breaking the fast slowly and correctly can be extremely difficult.

There seems to be a very strong tendency for even a very small quantity of refined carbs to set off a feeding frenzy that can last for days, weeks or for some, even months. Because of that I've come to the conclusion that unless someone is absolutely certain they will be able to rigidly control themselves during the refeeding process they would be much better off to confine themselves to fasts of no more than two weeks.

Hope everyone is doing well and making progress on their chosen path.
Wow! Amazing, Carolyn! I can't wrap my brain around such a long fast. Are you still having the coffee with cream and bone broth? Our bodies are such incredible things. I have no thoughts of doing anything near to this, but now am doing 3 day fasts 3x a month with no problem. On the 4th day I eat very little, zero carb, eggs, fish, chicken.
It is physically rewarding as well as mentally. Knowing I can do the IMPOSSIBLE (for me) is very extraordinary.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #38
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

I did it! I made 48 hours.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #39
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/165...165/155
WOE: Atkins/fasting
Start Date: Feb 2014
Good for you, Rosebud!!

Last week's MWF fast was easy. But, I ate carbs on the weekend...not a huge binge, but definitely off plan. So today, the fast is not as easy. Plus, I had a rough day at work. Last week I learned I'm still relying on food to help me cope with stress. :-( So I'm feeling it today. I wanted to try a 5 day fast this week. I know it's ok if I PHYSICALLY can't manage it (I have a LOT of stairs I have to do at work, and I may not be able to do them fasted...at least not as quickly as I need to). But I don't want to cave because I need the emotional boost. I've been "using" food all my life...I need to find a different way to deal with stress!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #40
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Betterthanever & Jan - thank you both! I ate my meal, not all of it as I did not feel all that hungry and the portions that I did eat, it felt like rocks in my tummy. LOL I feel great and will be back on regular IF schedule tomorrow.

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-09-2017 at 04:06 PM..
Old 10-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #41
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/140/128 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Great results, Carolyn!

I am looking forward to seeing how your plan works when adding food back in. That is the part that doesn’t work well for me even though my plan is keto. I don’t like the way I feel after fasts longer than about 24 hrs or so. I hope to pick up some helpful ideas from your experience.

That's the difficulty, absolutely! Fasting itself is amazingly easy after day four or so. It's breaking an extended fast (more than 48 hours) where people tend to get into trouble.

I've been an administrator on another support group (Fasting for weight loss) for the last few months, and have wound up writing protocols for breaking fasts while staying on a ketogenic diet.

Those that have used them, and not succumbed to the urge to dive into carbs that seems to strike around day 4, have had excellent results. No refeeding edema, no carb splurges, no feeding frenzies and no weight gain beyond a couple of pounds.

The real problem for most people is succumbing to the "carb monster" around day 4 or 5 that then winds up with days or weeks of carb binging. For those that break a prolonged fast with the traditional recommendations of fruit juice and fruits the tendency is, for many, to lose control over their food consumption.

Either way, breaking an extended fast correctly and safely takes self control, but staying Keto during the process seems to make it much easier!

Because of the length of my fast I'll spend the first week very slowly adding additional fats (cream and avocado) Second week I plan to add in salad greens possibly adding in broth with butter and soft eggs towards the end of week two.

So on and so forth. . .

I'll keep you posted!

Last edited by cgwwilson; 10-09-2017 at 11:53 PM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #42
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn & Deb - would you say that the re-feeding process would be the same as when one is hospitalized with an NPO (nothing by mouth) for several days or weeks and is slowly put back on their diet first by liquids, soft, then solids (in that order) over a period of time? I would think so and follow that when I introduce re-feeding from a prolonged fasting,

Last edited by Rosebud; 10-10-2017 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #43
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's the difficulty, absolutely! Fasting itself is amazingly easy after day four or so. It's breaking an extended fast (more than 48 hours) where people tend to get into trouble.

I've been an administrator on another support group (Fasting for weight loss) for the last few months, and have wound up writing protocols for breaking fasts while staying on a ketogenic diet.

I'll keep you posted!
Can you tell me what the protocol is that you wrote? I want to stay keto--can't imagine breaking a fast with fruit juice!!! I did not think of 48hrs as an extended fast. I'm at 48 hours now, and had planned on fasting for another 36 hours. I figured I would start with a little fat in my tea, but hadn't really thought past that...
Old 10-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #44
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Carolyn & Deb - would you say that the re-feeding process would be the same as when one is hospitalized with an NPO (nothing by mouth) for several days or weeks and is slowly put back on their diet first by liquids, soft, then solids (in that order) over a period of time? I would think so and follow that when I introduce re-feeding from a prolonged fasting,
The idea is the same: Very gradually introducing foods so that your digestive system has a chance to get use to processing foods and also to allow the lining of your gut to get use to solid foods. It also let's the medical team assess how you are tolerating each type of food.

In the hospital they control both content and quantity of foods so there's certainly less opportunity to start over consuming. (Carbs specifically and all foods in general.)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #45
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jan,

Still one 16 oz. coffee per day with two tablespoons of cream. No bone broth - it started to make me gag.

3 day fasts are very, very effective and for many people all they need. Once a week or a couple of times a month - whatever produces the results you are looking for.

I think one of the most important things I've learned during this journey is that very long extended fasts are not the best choice for the majority of people! I've started to get really nervous when someone new to fasting says they are going to start a 40 day or longer fast, and they obviously don't have a clue as to what they are really getting into. It's not a toy, nor a magic wand and should be approached with a great deal of caution.

Last edited by cgwwilson; 10-10-2017 at 08:10 PM..
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #46
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
Can you tell me what the protocol is that you wrote? I want to stay keto--can't imagine breaking a fast with fruit juice!!! I did not think of 48hrs as an extended fast. I'm at 48 hours now, and had planned on fasting for another 36 hours. I figured I would start with a little fat in my tea, but hadn't really thought past that...
Here are the guidelines for breaking a two - three day fast as well as a seven day fast while staying on a Keto plan.

Hope they help!

48 - 72 hour fasts

Extended fasts are not the only fasts which need to be ended with caution. Even a 3-day fast requires reasonable precautions.

A good way to start is with a little soup – something thin and nourishing such as vegetable or bone broth, adding butter, cream or oil if you wish. 1/2 of an avocado is another option. Alternatively, starting out with bulletproof coffee or coffe/tea with heavy cream can be a good choice if those are something you already enjoy. Either the soup, avocado or coffee will help to "wake up" your digestive system while also providing enough fat to help keep your appetite under control. Don't rush into eating.

Wait until you feel hungry, then proceed to a small to moderate size meal such as a small soft salad (Soft as in soft lettuces, watery veggies, non-sugary fruits (tomatoes, avocado). Nothing hard or crunchy. Soft salads should essentially slip through your digestive tract. Hard, crunchy foods can actually scratch or otherwise harm your intestines if you are coming off a long fast.), some nut butter, a small quantity of well chewed nuts, some avocado, soft eggs, etc. Again wait at least an hour or until you are actually hungry before eating again. If everything has gone well you can resume a normal "clean" diet, but try to keep it fairly simple and easily digestible.

Day two, resume whatever eating plan you intend to follow.

Breaking a 7 to 9 day Fast Safely
Keto version

To be perfectly safe, plan on taking 4 days to gradually ramp up to full unrestricted meals and continue to supplement with your electrolytes. However, drop your potassium supplement to the minimum recommended dose as you will be getting potassium from your food. By day five you shouldn't be supplementing with much more than the recommended daily amount of potassium (99 mg).

After a seven to nine day fast it would be very, very unlikely that you would have any issues with refeeding syndrome. However, both refeeding syndrome and refeeding edema are triggered by a too rapid reintroduction of carbs or large amounts of protein. So, even after a 9 day fast you're better to err on the side of caution.

The advice to do at least one day on liquids is mainly to let your digestive system adjust and prevent overeating. You can add cream, butter, or other fat to whatever you are drinking, and there's no reason you couldn't make a low carb pureed soup or have some avocado.

Day two is a good time to introduce things like salad, low carb steamed veggies, nut butters, low carb soft/watery veggies, soft eggs, small amounts of cheese, more complex soups, etc. all while keeping your fat content up to help keep your appetite under control.

Day three, same as above but continue to increase the amounts and you can add easily digestible animal protein if you choose (chicken or fish).

Day four, normal quantities of all of the above, plus anything else you would like that is low in carbs.

If you try adding significant amounts of even "healthy carbs" during the refeeding process you may very well find yourself fighting a major battle with the urge to go into a full blown "feeding frenzy" mode.

Best wishes!

��

Last edited by cgwwilson; 10-10-2017 at 08:14 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #47
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The idea is the same: Very gradually introducing foods so that your digestive system has a chance to get use to processing foods and also to allow the lining of your gut to get use to solid foods. It also let's the medical team assess how you are tolerating each type of food.

In the hospital they control both content and quantity of foods so there's certainly less opportunity to start over consuming. (Carbs specifically and all foods in general.)
I agree. Thanks, Carolyn!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #48
Just Beachy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 232/229/150
WOE: Fasting/Keto
Start Date: January 2018
Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have been here, and that means I am trying to get back on the wagon. I discovered Dr. Fung's books back in the spring and started fasting. I was doing really well but always had a problem breaking the fasts, so the recent posts have been very helpful.

Problem is life has been very stressful over the summer and fall, and not only have I not been fasting, I have also been carbing out like there is no tomorrow. I desperately need to get back on track, so I am hoping that getting back to reading the boards and listening to podcasts, etc, will help me stay motivated.

I am also seriously considering joining the IDM long distance program for the accountability. Also, quite frankly, if I spend that much money, I will probably be more apt to actually do what I need to do - if that makes sense.

So, that's my story, and I look forward to this journey with all of you.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #49
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the protocol! I fasted earlier this year, and ate carbs or protein too quickly, and felt awful for about a week...totally, totally exhausted. Don't want to do that again.

I was going to try for 5 days, but tonight (end of day 3) I'm feeling really woozy. Light-headed, kind of "spinny" in my head, almost dizzy. I think I should go off and eat regular keto for a few days. I came into fasting from 30 days of a psmf, which was essentially close to 100g protein/day and almost no fat. Somewhere between 600-800 calories. Supposed to keep you from losing muscle, but I was concerned it would lower my metabolism due to such low calories. I read recently that fasting a couple days a week and eating normally the rest is a good protocol, and I think I will try that. Part of me (the part that wants the weight off NOW) wants to fast longer, but I can't afford to be light-headed or off my game, with my job.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #50
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

People have very good results with the 5:2 plan. You could also try a 24 hour fast 3 times a week or a 36 hour 2 or even 3 times a week, always eating well when you do eat.

The most frequent cause for dizziness when fasting or while on a Keto plan is not getting enough salt. You should be getting a minimum of 1 teaspoon per day while fasting as you are not getting sodium from any other source.

Symptoms of Electrolyte Imbalance

Inadequate salt:
weakness
fatigue or low energy
headache
nausea
vomiting
muscle cramps or spasms
confusion
irritability

Inadequate Magnesium:
Irritability
Anxiety
Lethargy
Fatigue
Memory problems
Nausea

Inadequate Potassium:
Weakness, tiredness, or cramping in arm or leg muscles
Tingling or numbness
Nausea or vomiting
Abdominal cramping, bloating
Palpitations (feeling your heart beat irregularly)
Passing large amounts of urine or feeling very thirsty
most of the time
Fainting due to low blood pressure
Abnormal psychological behaviour: depression, psychosis,
delirium, confusion or hallucinations.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #51
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

I ended up pretty much fasting today, too. Consumed 2 cups of chicken broth with one egg stirred in throughout the day. Really no appetite, and felt MUCH better than yesterday. I hear others say that day 3 of a fast is the worst, so maybe that's what was going on. I have to figure out how to break this fast. I don't feel ready to do anything more than the 5 days I originally planned, so I should eat this weekend. I want to do it gently, though. The chicken broth and egg was fine today, but I really was NOT hungry. I'll drink that again in the morning, and maybe some scrambled eggs and nuts during the day? I can't imagine being able to eat much this weekend!

Yes, I will either fast 2 or 3 days next week, not consecutive. Probably 36 hour fasts. It seemed pretty easy last week. I just need to be sure I'm consuming enough calories on the eating days that I don't down-regulate my metabolism (dieting for the past 40 years has got to have screwed it up big-time!). But first, got to come off this fast.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #52
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Officially lost 2 lbs on my 4 day fast...none while fasting, rather this weekend when I was refeeding. So weird!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #53
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi, Every one.
I sure like to join in and meet and also learn.
I started fasting Sept.4th and worked up. and I must say feel great. Now that said>I hit things hard and sometimes maybe to hard.
I just finshed a 7 day fast{Just water.plain tea.[That has been been longest. I do 4-5 days .
Now that said. I Ate day after 7 day fast{And I think to many cals. But only gained 1 lbs.
After the 7th day fast and eating that day after, I restarted yesterday with other fast. today is day 2
I exercise. and walk. and just started jogging. But on longer fast more the 2-3 days I take easier.
Now I had to stop with going down to sauna{Detox and steam room when I do longer fast of 3 days. As just to hard and I do not want to get sick. So I listen to body.
I have the Fung book.
Now that said and I do not have much weight to lose. to get to goal 3 lbs from goal>110 and then another 3
I was thinking that since I have been doing this >But 7th day was the longest> I need to find out more how not to eat more cals then I should.
I also count cals.And should I do light eating for how many days fasting?
Also going to start on a eating plan,{Which I;m close to doing any way and that is>Flexitarian
I also like to work back green smoothies.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #54
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
Officially lost 2 lbs on my 4 day fast...none while fasting, rather this weekend when I was refeeding. So weird!
I did a high anxiety/grief fast which was not just water but some other beverages for 4 days. I was not weighing myself. After some time I did go back to weighing and had lost 4 lbs.. It bounced back up and then down to a steady 2 lbs. lost. Has remained that way 3 months later. Longer fasts are what I need but I just can't seem to work up the gumption. Your kinds of posts remind me and encourage me to do it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #55
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Not really Fung fasting, but I'm doing a protein sparing modified fast...essentially low calorie, low fat, 90g protein. I got kind of scared coming out of a fast a few months ago, and I don't want to do an extended fast. Plus, I don't think I could manage my high stress job on an extended fast. So, I'm trying this. If it doesn't work after a couple weeks, I'll fast 3-4 days at a time. Eventually I will probably settle into fasting two days a week. But I want to get this 10 lbs off so I can fit into all my clothes. After I do that, I'll be less aggressive.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #56
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Hey all - The Obesity Code Podcasts are now available.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #57
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
Ama....zing

Quote:
Hi everyone,

A quick update on what has turned into an amazing journey!

This originally started out on June 28th as a regularly scheduled 3 Day "Fung style" fast, as I was allowing myself heavy cream in coffee once day. On day three it evolved into an open ended extended fast - no set end date. I had assumed I would end the fast when I traveled to Southern California at the end of July if not before then. Instead I chose to continue the fast.

Today is day 103 - this coming Tuesday will be the end of week 15.
I continue to feel well as long as I get enough salt to keep my blood pressure in a normal range. I continue to supplement with salt, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, CoQ10, Fish Oil and a high quality, easily absorbable multivitamin. I'm very active, and take an exercise class two days a week.

Basic statistics:

June 28, 2017 - Begin Modified Fast
Weight. 194.5
Bust. 44
Waist. 37.5
Hips. 42
Back. 35
Thighs 23.5

October 7, 2017 - Day 102
Weight. 146
Bust. 40
Waist 32
Hips. 36
Back 31.5
Thighs 20

Currently, I intend to end this fast on November 1st and start a two month long refeeding process using a Keto plan for breaking an extended fast.

I've learned an incredible amount about fasting and the human body over the last 3 - 4 months. The most important being that while extended fasting can be fairly easy for many people, breaking the fast slowly and correctly can be extremely difficult.

There seems to be a very strong tendency for even a very small quantity of refined carbs to set off a feeding frenzy that can last for days, weeks or for some, even months. Because of that I've come to the conclusion that unless someone is absolutely certain they will be able to rigidly control themselves during the refeeding process they would be much better off to confine themselves to fasts of no more than two weeks.

Hope everyone is doing well and making progress on their chosen path.
This is amazing.
Enjoy, I have of late started to find I am getting skinnier but heavier - the likely reason is I do a lot of 3-8 day fasts with the default being 24hr normal eating when I eat. I'd eat friday night, sat and sunday afternoon, and skip till wednesday (I did that this week).
I am already in the skinny category and more vanity than any real reason to try to get under some preferred number (I am targeting 150-145 for my long term goal).
You're an inspiration to me.
Thanks.
srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #58
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Hey all - The Obesity Code Podcasts are now available.
I am going to be listening to the first one (after to pilot) on my way to work.

In my app, Pocket Casts, there is a funny picture of an iPod-car with an astronaut driving it instead of a normal thumbnail. It made it a little harder to find. I imagine they will change it.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #59
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Just an FYI- I have been working my way back through the cancer blog posts on I D M. Very interesting. I finally got through Tripping Over the Truth (about cancer being primarily a metabolic, not genetic, disease and how misguided much of the research and treatment has been) a few days ago and the messages align nicely. There are some things we can do about cancer.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #60
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
I should try this

Quote:
Here are the guidelines for breaking a two - three day fast as well as a seven day fast while staying on a Keto plan.

Hope they help!

48 - 72 hour fasts

Extended fasts are not the only fasts which need to be ended with caution. Even a 3-day fast requires reasonable precautions.

A good way to start is with a little soup – something thin and nourishing such as vegetable or bone broth, adding butter, cream or oil if you wish. 1/2 of an avocado is another option. Alternatively, starting out with bulletproof coffee or coffe/tea with heavy cream can be a good choice if those are something you already enjoy. Either the soup, avocado or coffee will help to "wake up" your digestive system while also providing enough fat to help keep your appetite under control. Don't rush into eating.

Wait until you feel hungry, then proceed to a small to moderate size meal such as a small soft salad (Soft as in soft lettuces, watery veggies, non-sugary fruits (tomatoes, avocado). Nothing hard or crunchy. Soft salads should essentially slip through your digestive tract. Hard, crunchy foods can actually scratch or otherwise harm your intestines if you are coming off a long fast.), some nut butter, a small quantity of well chewed nuts, some avocado, soft eggs, etc. Again wait at least an hour or until you are actually hungry before eating again. If everything has gone well you can resume a normal "clean" diet, but try to keep it fairly simple and easily digestible.

Day two, resume whatever eating plan you intend to follow.

Breaking a 7 to 9 day Fast Safely
Keto version

To be perfectly safe, plan on taking 4 days to gradually ramp up to full unrestricted meals and continue to supplement with your electrolytes. However, drop your potassium supplement to the minimum recommended dose as you will be getting potassium from your food. By day five you shouldn't be supplementing with much more than the recommended daily amount of potassium (99 mg).

After a seven to nine day fast it would be very, very unlikely that you would have any issues with refeeding syndrome. However, both refeeding syndrome and refeeding edema are triggered by a too rapid reintroduction of carbs or large amounts of protein. So, even after a 9 day fast you're better to err on the side of caution.

The advice to do at least one day on liquids is mainly to let your digestive system adjust and prevent overeating. You can add cream, butter, or other fat to whatever you are drinking, and there's no reason you couldn't make a low carb pureed soup or have some avocado.

Day two is a good time to introduce things like salad, low carb steamed veggies, nut butters, low carb soft/watery veggies, soft eggs, small amounts of cheese, more complex soups, etc. all while keeping your fat content up to help keep your appetite under control.

Day three, same as above but continue to increase the amounts and you can add easily digestible animal protein if you choose (chicken or fish).

Day four, normal quantities of all of the above, plus anything else you would like that is low in carbs.

If you try adding significant amounts of even "healthy carbs" during the refeeding process you may very well find yourself fighting a major battle with the urge to go into a full blown "feeding frenzy" mode.

Best wishes!

��
I've broken all my fasts very badly. I used to eat 1 massive meal starting mostly with meat and then eating everything, and going back into the next multi dayer. I'd do 9 day fast, eat @ Chinese buffet and do another 9, and end it at thanksgiving, then 20 day etc. Didn't seem to hurt, I still lost weight, nearly 70lb in 90 days. But a bad fast break makes your pain worse in your next fast, and likely I could have had better results with a better refeed plan mostly in terms of keeping the weight off. Also I used to drink 300-1500 cal in Bullet proof coffee/tea through the fasting days. Its all likely hurt some of the progress I could have made, but I am still very very much healthier not to mention holding @160 lb and getting denser bones.
I plan on getting a good clean 2-3 days of eating now with resistant starch for 2 days then fish and finishing with a big pork BBQ lunch on sunday and doing a good water only fast till the 31st. Which will be broken badly @ company lunch. Then onto the 10th and another bad company event. So I guess I have to keep a cleaner fast to compensate for the bad break.
The fasts I have been less bulletproof - are generally better after the first 2-3 days.
Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote