Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #61
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Hi All,
The Mediterranean Life Style has been recommended to my husband by his physicians for some health challenges heís going through and to support a healthy lifestyle into the future. I have a book that gives the basic explanation and a few recipes. I would like to get a book that has more recipes, especially those that can accommodate a working schedule and have nutritional information since he needs to track saturated fat and sodium. A ďdiet planĒ would be helpful for him to follow, but not necessarily the main priority, as we can download those here and there as you all mentioned.

I was wondering if you would be so kind as to recommend your favorite books and how you felt the lifestyle worked out for you? If there is anyone currently following the plan, I would love to connect.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #62
soontobesexy'ntx
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: soontobesexy'ntx
Stats: 230/227/150???
WOE: getting ready for WLS
Start Date: 09/05/2017
The Sonoma diet is a great book! It is for weight loss but you can go straight to the last "wave" it has great recipes!
basically you eat off a 9" divided plate (think paper picnic plate) and a bowl that will hold 2 cups of fluid
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #63
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, I was looking at that one. Another I've had my eye on is The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook: 500 Vibrant, Kitchen-Tested Recipes for Living and Eating Well Every Day by The Editors at America's Test Kitchen. Has anyone gotten that one?
Old 12-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #64
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: watching carbs
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Hi TerriMM

I don't know much about the mediterranean diet, was wondering if you bough a cookbook yet? If so which one?

I too am interested for health reason.

TIA
Anna
Old 12-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #65
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Anna,

Yes, I got "The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook: 500 Vibrant, Kitchen-Tested Recipes for Living and Eating Well Every Day by The Editors at America's Test Kitchen". I like to cook, but it really is a different way, with different techniques and that’s what I wanted help with. This book has great pictures for both techniques and finished product. It has some great recipes for familiar food and then some real off the wall stuff that will be fun to try. Keep in mind that the Mediterranean region incorporates Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Tunisia and Turkey. I was just basically thinking Italy, Greece & France, so I was surprised with all the rest. They are super true to “Mediterranean” so if it’s not eaten there, its not in the book. Like salmon, they don’t have it there, but I’ve been able to find recipes for other strong flavored fish and adapt. But I wing it a lot anyway using their techniques. A lot of the Mediterranean cookbooks are more cooking the standard American fare Mediterranean”ish”. And I wasn’t looking for that.

For the diet, which is really just conceptual, because it’s more of a life style than what we think of as a diet, I got “The New Mediterranean Diet Book: A 30-Day Quickstart Guide to Fast Fat Loss and Amazing Health”. It’s a small, easy read with a few recipes. At first, I thought it was a waste, until I really got the whole lifestyle concept. Now I like to reread it whenever I want to tune myself up a little. And it truly is a good quickstart.

I really believe that it's a super healthy way to eat and so do all the doctors I've talked to.

Last edited by TerriMM; 12-15-2017 at 03:03 PM..
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #66
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi TerriMM

Thank you so much for your response, and description of the cookbooks.

I'm still not sure about all this, as I have a lot to learn. But I put the one by Americas Test Kitchen on hold at my library. They did not have the other one. sigh......

If I like it, and think I can do this I'll buy it then. Have you all (or your dh) been eating this way for long? My dh is a LCer and it works for him.

Again thanks I really appreciate it.

Anna
Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #67
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Weíve been eating this way as much as possible since Mid-September. When we were very vigilant in the beginning, we easily lost weight and felt great. Lately, since Thanksgiving, weíve kind of strayed back towards SAD and can tell the difference in the way we feel along with a little weight gain. Right now, weíre trying to reign it in again with a full commitment after the first. The hardest thing about it for us is always making fresh food. The options to pick up something quick on the way home from work are pretty limited. Of course, thatís a big part of why we are where we are today. Since itís a lifestyle rather than a diet, there is really no going off or on, just doing better than not.

Low Carb works great for me too, but I have to say Iím really enjoying some of the previously forbidden foods. And the way DH works, he found it extremely difficult to give up sandwiches for lunch. I was surprised that when I went from LC to Med I didnít have even a temporary weight gain.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #68
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/197.8/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Hi Terri. There are several free Kindle books on Amazon for Mediterranean Diet/Cookbooks if you haven't seen them already.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #69
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Carol! I'll check them out.

How are you doing?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #70
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/197.8/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Thanks Carol! I'll check them out.

How are you doing?
Absolutely no change, either way. Still bouncing around the same 5 lbs. LOL I guess it's better than gaining.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #71
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Terri are you all still eating this way?

I did get a couple of books at the library, but I haven't read them. Just looked through them.

It sounds very healthy.

Thanks again for your information.

Anna
Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #72
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Anna,
Happy New Year!
After the first, I found myself with a couple extra pounds hanging on to remind me of the holidays. So I took a Protein Power detour and about a week and a half later they were gone. Last night I was whipped out after work and craving carbs so I went for a pizza to go. Figured I'd call it a "carb night", but in the middle of the night I realized I was sick. So was it the carbs, lack of, or unrelated? I can't say, but I do know that I recover better with some carbs in my diet (telling? perhaps). Bears saying, I rarely get sick, but last weekend, while doing low carb I also had a pretty good head cold. So long story longer sounds like a great time to get back on the Mediterranean lifestyle. I think Iíll pull out my little ďhow toĒ book while Iím convalescing. Wanna play?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #73
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

I'm in!!

But I don't know much..... so this will be a learning experience for me.

Quote:
a couple extra pounds hanging on to remind me of the holidays. So I took a Protein Power detour
Me too!! I did lower carb. Just couldn't give up fresh oranges. (?) I'm curious, did you figure out what made you sick? The carbs, or lack of?

Honestly I've been back and forth on so many diets, from LC to vegetarian. I see good in all of them. But I don't seem to stick to any of them. My dr has been pushing mediterranee. So here I am. And it sounds good, how can veggies be so bad??

My weight is ok, could lose a few pounds. But I'm after health. I will try to read some this week end. I will go shopping and buy veggies. I'm excited your willing to do this too.

By the way, Happy New Year to you too.

Anna
Old 01-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #74
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm at 139, would love to be at 125, but would be very happy with 130ish. Our docs are pushing Mediterranean as well, especially DH's heart surgeon. Got to tell you something, right?

So the main things I reminded myself of with my reading over the last few days.
  • Smaller plates 8-9" We eat on paper plates in baskets much of the time to save on clean up, so I have that dialed.
  • 1/2 of your plate veggies and fruit, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein. This will take a little adjustment.
  • Eat mostly fish, then chicken, rarely red meat. Bigger challenge, DH thinks fish once a week and a tuna salad for lunch is eating a lot of fish Plan to add more frozen and canned shrimp, crab, etc.
  • Have vegetarian meals more. We do this with pasta and marinara, but will look into other options.
  • Use olive oil, avocado, yogurt & nuts in place of butter, mayo, etc. I'm going to try some yogurt spreads on DH's sandwiches and see how that goes over. Biggest challenge is my heavy cream in my coffee.
  • Eat only whole foods. A challenge as a working gal, but will work on it.
  • Exercise more. I got a new fit bit, so I'm going to work on meeting and raising my walking goals.
  • Take time with meals. Always a challenge for me. I'm always trying to finish up because I have so much to do. Plan to work on that.

So those are the things I'm going to focus on to get started. A pretty full slate, but when I think of all the other crazy diets I've done in my life, it sounds pretty easy.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #75
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hi Terri

Great information. You could apply that to just eating period.

I think I need more time to research mediterranean diet plans. I just don't have time now to read..... plus a lot of stuff going on. So I'll pass for now.

I thought I'd have time to read over the weekend but that didn't happen.

Good luck. Keep posting and I will see how your doing.

Does your husband like this diet? Is it helping his health?

FWIW I totally think tuna sandwich should count as a fish serving.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #76
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Thatís kind of the cool thing about this. It does apply to eating in general. Itís not really a plan with hard and fast rules, itís more of a lifestyle that you can incorporate anytime without a lot of prep or fuss. Of course, the more principals you incorporate the more successful youíll be. When I get too far away from it, I have a brief little book that I read just to get the principals in the forefront of my pea brain. But itís pretty basic.

Yes, DH likes it. He gets a little tired of all the chicken sometimes, but all and all it just real whole food without much restriction. His biggest nemesis is his draw to fast food and he travels a lot. But it has taught us to be a lot more vigilant about reading labels and what we eat. Just like package seasoning and sauce mixes, itís amazing the crap they but in those. Iíve found it to be really easy and cheaper to make my own. I just look it up online (taco seasoning for example), make a big batch and have it on hand. I used to only pay attention to carbs, fat, etc. Now I donít really worry about that, just look for artificial ingredients and chemicals. But like I said, as a working gal that is my nemesis.

Last year I also got into Intuitive eating. Basic concepts there are:
  • If youíre not hungry donít eat
  • If youíre hungry eat
  • Stop when youíve had enough, not full, but enough
  • Only eat whatís wonderful
Of course, there is more to it, to really make it happen, especially for a lifelong dieter to get her head around. But it boils down to basically that simple. I just came to a point where I was sick of beating myself up and being obsessed about my diet. Instead Iím seeking out ways to make myself happier and healthier and live in the real world without the real world ruling me.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #77
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Are you in sales??

You should be!!! Please take that as a compliment. You certainly know your diets. I find your information most helpful.

I will keep trying. Honestly I didn't like most of the recipes in the America's Test Kitchen cookbook. They are probably good, but I'm doing this just for me as I still have to cook LC for my dh, and cook for another family member affected by severe food allergies. I just don't want to do more. But LC isn't me. So I'm doing this easy. (Hopefully not lazy.) LOL

As of now, low fat, mostly veggies and fruit in season. Very little lean meat. I don't eat dairy, yes to eggs. Usually just to cook with. So I'm also adding noodles, bran cereal and beans. Just going to go slow.

Again thanks for the information. Intuitive eating sounds interesting also. But I like to eat all day, I'm a snacker. Bad habit.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #78
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
Are you in sales??

You should be!!! Please take that as a compliment. You certainly know your diets. I find your information most helpful.

No H.R. in the construction industry. Almost as bad

Your plan sounds great! I told DH last night that I just wasn't going to sweat anything right now except whole food. I'm becoming quite the chemicalafobe. It's even leaching into the cleaning products I'm using.