Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bracelet
Stats: 221/183/145
WOE: Calorie Counting
Start Date: Oct 2017
Calorie Counters - 2018

Here at LCF, I have only found a couple of calorie counters threads, and they are from 2014 and 2015, so I decided to start a new one. Hopefully we can help one another with tips, tricks and maybe a few recipes. I'm sure everyone would like to hear about your weight loss journey.

I have heard that when you get older, it is harder to lose weight, and I have found that to be true on other diets. I have tried several, and would lose a few pounds, then the weight loss would stop. I will soon be 74, and with calorie counting, the weight continues to come off.

I will say that I weigh and measure everything, but you might not want to, and that is fine, everyone is different. I eat 1500 calories per day, eat 5 times per day, eat every 3 hours at 8 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm and 8 pm and I have had good weight loss. This week I have eaten 3 slices of pie and four 100-calorie fruit pies and so far have lost 3 pounds this week. I am hoping there will be another pound lost before my official weigh-in on Monday. I don't usually include sweets in my diet (I am prediabetic, but always have excellent A1c test results), but this week was an experiment, I did it just to see if the weight loss would continue after eating all those sweets, and as long as I keep it at 1500 calories, the weight keeps going down, no matter what I eat.

I'll tell you how I got started, maybe it will help newcomers who don't know how to begin. First I determined which meat, fish and poultry I would be eating, then I tried to find the lowest calorie products for those foods. Next I made a list of the foods I don't want to live without, the ones that might tempt me off my diet, then I found the lowest calorie products for those foods.

Next, I made a list of the fresh or frozen vegetables I would be eating, and their calorie counts per ounce or serving. I also listed the condiments I would need such as mayo, low calorie salad dressing, soy sauce, etc. From these lists, I concocted single-serving, easy-to-make recipes that total about 300 calories or less. Things like chili, spaghetti, chicken salad, tuna salad, etc. Except for breaded fish fillets and breaded shrimp, which I cook in the hot air fryer, and spaghetti, which I cook on the stove, I cook everything in the microwave. I typed and printed the recipes and put them in a binder. When time to eat, I flip through the binder and make whatever sounds good at the time. Because I am eating the foods I love, this diet has been easy to stick with, and since I eat often, am never hungry.

I also made a daily chart of 1500 squares to represent the 1500 calories. I made it in such a way that I can easily see and mark off 100 calories or 50 calories at a time. People use different methods to keep track of their calories, and this is the one that works for me.

I will be posting a list of some of the foods/products I eat, plus their calorie counts. Whether you are counting calories or just thinking about it, it would be great to hear from you.

'Til next time... Joyce
Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

It takes a lot of research to discover the calorie counts on each food and to find the lowest calorie product for a certain food, so this is a list of foods and products that I use, and their calorie counts. If you know of a good low calorie product, I'd love to hear about it.

MEAT, FISH, POULTRY:
albacore tuna, canned in water, 1 can - depends on which brand you buy
chicken breast, cooked, 4 oz - 185
chicken breast, canned in water, 1 can - depends on which brand you buy
fish fillets, breaded, Gorton Smart & Crunchy, 2 fillets - 190 (I cook in the air fryer)
ground beef, 93%, 3 oz - 129
ham, 97% fat free, 1 slice - 30
shrimp, popcorn, breaded, Wild Caught Crunchy Kroger (I purchase at Ruler Foods), 85g - 240 (I cook in the air fryer)

EGGS:
liquid egg, Aldi, Fit & Active, 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) - 67

CHEESE:
Velveeta singles, 1 slice - 35

STARCHES:
beans, canned, red or pinto, 1/2 cup - 100
bread - 35
corn, frozen, Great Value, 86g - 70
spaghetti, Barilla whole grain spaghetti or thin spaghetti, 1 oz - 90

VEGETABLES They are for 1 oz. unless otherwise specified:
broccoli - 10
cabbage - 7
carrot - 10
cauliflower - 7
cauliflower, riced, Green Giant, 42g, 1/2 cup - 10
celery - 4
cucumber, 3 oz - 12
green beans - 9
green pepper - 6
lettuce, 2 1/2 oz - 10
onion - 12
radish, 2 oz - 10
tomato, fresh, 3 oz - 15

MISC:
chicken tamales, Hormel, drained, purchased at Dollar Tree, 1 can - 260
Country Crock Light, 1 tablespoon - 35
cream of mushroom soup, Campbell's (for recipes), 1/4 cup - 45
dill pickle slices, 1 oz - 5
Italian dressing, fat free, Wish-Bone, 2 tablespoons - 15
mayonnaise, Hellmann's Light, 1 tablespoon - 35
mustard
oats, quick, Great Value, 1/2 cup dry - 150
popcorn, microwave, 100 calorie packs
salsa, 2 tablespoons - 10
soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon - 5
sweet pickles, no sugar added
syrup, pancake, Walden Farms - 0
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
hopetolose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 134/134/121
Hi
Thank you for starting a new thread for this. I have been counting calories for years and then go and try another "diet" and always come back to counting calories because some of my "diets" have been too restrictive. I have lost and gained so many #s during my lifetime.
I started this again on Monday and am down 7#. Know this is mostly water but that is okay.
I am also 74 and was at goal before Thanksgiving but put on 10# just by cooking and eating too much during the holidays. I am also prediabetic with no meds, so have to watch that.

Love your food list. I do eat a variety of foods not leaving out anything that I want. I eat 3 times most days but sometimes eat a large meal and then cut down on my other two meals. Just whatever my schedule allows and what I prefer that day. I never miss dessert. I do a lot of cooking, but also keep some purchased frozen meals in my freezer just in case I don't want to cook or pressed for time. That way I can stay on plan and be happy with my food.
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
Sage1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sage1
Stats: Staying in 120s
WOE: CICO
I am glad to see a new calorie counting thread.. I am also a long-time cal counter and have a journal here on LCF.

I do not have any specific list of foods. I eat what I like and track on my phone.

I eat approximately three to four times a day, sometimes more.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

I plan to post a few tips soon. I hope others will add to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage1 View Post
I am glad to see a new calorie counting thread.. I am also a long-time cal counter and have a journal here on LCF.

I do not have any specific list of foods. I eat what I like and track on my phone.

I eat approximately three to four times a day, sometimes more.
Sage, so glad you decided to join us. It is probably easier to track on a phone than keep track on paper, as I do. I am one of those old farts who doesn't know how to use a cell phone and refues to learn. Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetolose View Post
Hi
Thank you for starting a new thread for this. I have been counting calories for years and then go and try another "diet" and always come back to counting calories because some of my "diets" have been too restrictive. I have lost and gained so many #s during my lifetime.
I started this again on Monday and am down 7#. Know this is mostly water but that is okay.
I am also 74 and was at goal before Thanksgiving but put on 10# just by cooking and eating too much during the holidays. I am also prediabetic with no meds, so have to watch that.

Love your food list. I do eat a variety of foods not leaving out anything that I want. I eat 3 times most days but sometimes eat a large meal and then cut down on my other two meals. Just whatever my schedule allows and what I prefer that day. I never miss dessert. I do a lot of cooking, but also keep some purchased frozen meals in my freezer just in case I don't want to cook or pressed for time. That way I can stay on plan and be happy with my food.
Congratulations on the 7 pound loss. It is so encouraging when we first start a diet and have a great loss the first week. I hope that you will keep us posted on your progress. I am looking forward to yours and Sage's posts and have high hopes that others will join us as well. Welcome.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Because I eat 5 times per day, I want cooking to be quick and painless. Here are a few things I do that helps along those lines. I hope you will add your tips to these, I am an old dog who is always glad to learn a new trick.

I use my hot air fryer and Instant Pot to cook whenever I can. That way I don't have a greasy stove to clean. I fry hamburgers (not to mention breaded shrimp and breaded fish fillets) in a hot air fryer. I make 4 to 8 hamburgers, weigh them after they are cooked, and as long as they are 3 oz. or less, they go into baggies, then I freeze for later use.

I cook scrambled ground beef in the Instant Pot, cooking up a couple of packages at a time. Once cooled, I weigh 3 oz into baggies and freeze. It can be kind of messy spooning the ground beef into the baggies, so I place a baggie in a cup, then fold the upper part of the baggie over the lip of the cup. A lot less messy.

Some of my recipes call for 1/2 cup beans or 1/4 cup cream of mushroom soup. Once I open a can, I use the same baggie trick to divide the remaining beans or soup into 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup baggies, and freeze.

I cook single servings, so I needed a small microwave steamer for veggies. Glad claims all of their products are free of all of those nasty things that can harm you when you microwave plastic, so I use a rectangular bowl, the ones that hold about 3 cups. DH drilled 6 or 8 holes in the lid. Using the steamer, I can microwave frozen veggies for up to 2 minutes without water, without having them scorch. When I am making something like chili where I need to cook unfrozen veggies like onion, celery and green pepper, I add 1/2 tablespoon water and nuke them 2 minutes. It makes a great little steamer. If someone wanted to make one but doesn't use a drill, they might be able to get a hole punch in the right place to punch a few holes. Scissors or a knife should also work.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Sage1
Major LCF Poster!

Bracelet, I also do a spreadsheet to record my weekly averages and use a paper notebook to back up my weight log. I love tracking things lol.

I have a hot air fryer, too, but only use it to reheat pizza. Someday I might use it more but I need some little pans for it and haven’t found any yet.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

I decided to change my weigh-in day from Monday to Sunday morning. Since I go off my diet every Sunday because we eat out, that means I weigh the most on Mondays and it takes a couple days after that to get those couple of pounds off. So anyway, it is Sunday morning, I have lost 4 pounds this week.

Quote:
I have a hot air fryer, too, but only use it to reheat pizza. Someday I might use it more but I need some little pans for it and haven’t found any yet.
I have never had a need for a pan in my fryer. If it is too big to fall through the holes, it goes right in the fryer basket. I'm a nosy type of gal, so am curious to know what you want to cook in the fryer that requires a pan.

Quote:
Bracelet, I also do a spreadsheet to record my weekly averages and use a paper notebook to back up my weight log. I love tracking things lol.
That sounds a lot like me lol. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

I hope you gals and guys don't mind if I ramble on for a while. About 50 years ago my mother-in-law gave me what she called a sandwich maker, the brand name is Toas-Tite. Inside, you put a slice of buttered bread and whatever ingredients you want, then top with another slice of buttered bread. When you close and lock the handles, it seals the edges of the bread together tightly, the edges of the bread are sticking out, you cut them off. You then place that on a gas burner of the stove until browned, then flip it over to brown the other side. The finished product is round with edges sealed all the way around, and is thicker than a person would think, since it holds a lot of filling.

We would put leftovers in it, spaghetti, mashed spuds, meatballs, etc. and always top it with a slice of cheese before sealing. No matter what we put in there, it always tastes awesome. You can also do desserts by using either bread, raisin bread or refrigerated crescent roll dough, and adding pie filling, fruit, a cream cheese mixture, strawberries, whatever. I think people sometimes used these over camp fires. My kids have fond memories of the sandwiches that came out of this sandwich maker.

But for years we have had a glass top stove, and that doesn't work with this maker. I bought an electric burner and tried it out, but the burner is flat and the maker is cupped, so that didn't work too well, so I thought maybe someone makes electric sandwich makers where the edges seal, so I started searching the web for one that is round. I bought a couple I thought might work and tried them out, but the edges didn't seal. Only good for making grilled cheese. There were some I thought might work, but they make 2 sandwiches, and if I make 2, I eat 2, so I gave up on it.

A few days ago I was looking around in a second hand store and lifted the lid on one of the sandwich makers there. It makes one sandwich and looked like the edges would seal, for $2.99 so I took it home, cleaned and disinfected it, and tried it out. It isn't round, it is square. In the experiment, for the filling, I used cooked hamburger and a slice of cheese. I was surprised when I looked at the finished product, 2 triangular shaped things that look like fruit pies that have sealed edges all around.

I looked online for an instruction booklet and found it. There are some good sounding recipes in it, especially the desserts. It is great to have a new kitchen toy to play with.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
hopetolose
Senior LCF Member

Hello.

I am still on plan and love being back to calorie counting. I have been having oatmeal for breakfast the last few days, but had a muffin today.

Lunch was diet cola chicken and salad and dessert was yogurt and fruit. I keep a book daily with all of my calories.

I was wondering about an air fryer. I have been looking at them and reading, but don't know what brand is the best. Also don't want to spend a lot of money on one. I think I would enjoy using this rather than making the mess with my deep fryer and better for me, too. I have heard a lot of pros and cons. Good to hear from others as far as their experience with them.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

I had oatmeal and cinnamon toast (made with Splenda) for breakfast. For lunch I had pizza buffet, which I will be paying dearly for tomorrow morning when I step on the scale.

Air fryers are pretty small, some are tiny, so if you decide to buy one, make sure you know how big the basket is. My sister-in-law has one about the size of a 4 oz hamburger patty, she paid $19.99 for it, but IMHO, pretty useless. I guess mine is average size, and I can fry 2 burgers at a time. So if you are cooking for a family, you would have to cook in batches. My fryer came with a small instruction booklet with a few recipes in it. Some companies are trying to save money, so they don't include a booklet. They don't tell you this, but in that case you have to go online to find it, then print it.

I mostly cook frozen foods from the grocery store that are breaded. A friend tried to make fries from scratch and said they didn't turn out so well, but I make frozen fries for DH by spraying the fryer, then spraying the top of the fries and they come out good. My booklet has instructions for air frying chicken, but I haven't tried it. They just said to brush melted butter on it, no breading, so I don't know what the result would be. I guess the decision on whether or not to buy one should be based on how many people you want to cook for and what you are wanting to air fry.

I'm sure there are people who will swear by a certain brand of fryer, and I guess some of them might come with accessories. Hopefully some of our LCF will stop by with some helpful information.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

This morning I was shopping at Menards when I came across some reusable bags that you use to make grilled cheese in a toaster. When I was checking out, the checker said she saw on TV that if you want to make grilled cheese in your toaster, just lay your toaster on it's side so the cheese doesn't leak out the bottom of the sandwich. I told her that is fine if you don't butter the outside of your sandwich, but I like mine buttered.

I tried out the bags, including the butter, and it worked just fine. The bread was toasted, cheese was melted. A lot faster and easier than dragging out the frying pan.

Here is another tip. I try to save 100 points per day so I can have a bag of 100 calorie popcorn. I especially like kettle corn, so after popping, I sprinkle on a couple packets of Splenda. If the popcorn is already kettle corn, I sprinkle anyway because I like it sweet.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 AM   #13
Sage1
Major LCF Poster!

Bracelet, I would like to make all sorts of things in the air fryer, such as omelets, fried chicken and fish (which would leave a greasy residue all over the fryer, I think), and bake little cakes and things). I did make a frittata in a Pyrex dish and it came out well but I would rather have a metal pan.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #14
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Bracelet, I would like to make all sorts of things in the air fryer, such as omelets, fried chicken and fish (which would leave a greasy residue all over the fryer, I think), and bake little cakes and things). I did make a frittata in a Pyrex dish and it came out well but I would rather have a metal pan.
Hi, Sage. I make the tings that require a pan, like cakes, in my Instant Pot, another kitchen tool that I love.

Wilton has all sizes of baking pans from huge to tiny. I can usually find just about anything on eBay, with free shipping, and most of the things I buy are new, still in the wrapper. The last option is second hand stores. When I buy second hand kitchen utensils, I soak them in bleach water soon as I get them home to sanitize them.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

MUG CAKE - CHOCOLATE OR YELLOW (91 calories)

1 tablespoon Cool Whip, fat free, thawed (8)
1 tablespoon Egg Beaters (8)
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons Pillsbury Sugar Free Devil's Food cake mix OR
Pillsbury Sugar Free Classic Yellow cake mix (75)

Spray a large mug or ramekin. Stir together the Cool Whip, Egg Beaters, water and baking powder. Then stir in the cake mix. Microwave high for 1 minute 45 seconds, or until set.

One cake mix makes 17 mug cakes.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #16
Sage1
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracelet View Post
Hi, Sage. I make the tings that require a pan, like cakes, in my Instant Pot, another kitchen tool that I love.

Wilton has all sizes of baking pans from huge to tiny. I can usually find just about anything on eBay, with free shipping, and most of the things I buy are new, still in the wrapper. The last option is second hand stores. When I buy second hand kitchen utensils, I soak them in bleach water soon as I get them home to sanitize them.
Thanks, Bracelet. I will check out Wilton.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

You are very welcome, Sage.
-----------------------
(NOTE: Dressing (stuffing) recipe at the end of this post.)

More of my ramblings... at family holiday gatherings, the ladies are each assigned a dish to bring so that the hostess doesn't have to do it all. My MIL would make the sage & bread dressing, which was very good. After she passed, that chore was passed on to a different family member each holiday to try their hand at dressing-making, and the results were OK. (We were searching for a permanent dressing-maker.) When it was my turn, I looked online and was frustrated because the recipes all called for like 8 cups crumbled bread or toast. How much is 8 cups? Depends on how small you crumble it and how much you compact it. That is when I became determined to find a recipe with exact measurements. After a couple days of looking, I finally ran across the recipe below. At first I was a little reluctant to try it because it has a box of Stove Top in it and I sure didn't want it to taste anything like Stove Top, but I gave it a try and took it on Thanksgiving.

I am here to tell you, all of us agree that this is even better than MIL's dressing, and that is saying a lot. Tastes nothing like Stove Top. All the ladies asked for the recipe, it has become the official 'family' dressing recipe. No matter who makes it, always comes out the same.
-----------------------
When I double the recipe, I use one box of Sage and one box of Herb Stove Top.

DRESSING

1 onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 stick butter
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 box Stove Top (sage or herb)
7 slices sandwich bread; toasted, crumbled

Cook onion and celery in butter. Remove from heat. Stir in the broth, soup and sage. Stir in the Stove Top, then the toast. Spread into a greased 9" square pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
hopetolose
Senior LCF Member

Still on plan even though I have been too busy to post lately.

Today's menu:
oatmeal with milk and dry peanut butter
Fiber One Bar
Cooked cabbage with onions
Crab meat with flour tortilla with homemade low fat cream sauce
1 oz cheese

Around 900 calories

Hope you are all doing well.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #19
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Well, last Sunday morning I weighed 188, but the family wanted to eat at Chinese buffet. Pizza buffet and Chinese buffet are 2 things I can't resist. I paid dearly for it because on Monday I weighed 191. Took me 3 days to re-lose those 3 pounds. But tomorrow (Sunday) will be no buffet so I plan to order a side salad, bring my low-cal dressing and stay on plan.

I looked at some online videos and read some instructions on how to make potato pancakes (latkes) in the hot air fryer. I measured and recorded everything so I could stay on plan, but the latke never browned, stuck to the bottom of the pan and ended up being a gooey mess which I had to throw away. Might try making a low calorie one some day in a no-stick skillet with cooking spray.

Quote:
Thanks, Bracelet. I will check out Wilton.
Don't know if you found a pan for your fryer yet, but I did some more investigating and found there is at least one universal air fryer pan that fits most. It is non-stick. I saw them on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetolose View Post
Still on plan even though I have been too busy to post lately.

Today's menu:
oatmeal with milk and dry peanut butter
Fiber One Bar
Cooked cabbage with onions
Crab meat with flour tortilla with homemade low fat cream sauce
1 oz cheese

Around 900 calories

Hope you are all doing well.
Hope, I'm glad you posted again. Back in the 50's and 60's seems like most diets were based on 900 calories, so I know how tough it is. My hat is off to you.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #20
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Hi to all. I have been looking for Quaker Puffed Rice cereal because it is 50 calories per cup as opposed to other cereals at 100 per, but I couldn't find it. I went to the Quaker website where you can search for products, and I learned that the nearest store to me that carries it is about 30 miles away. So I went to the Walmart site where you can request an email from them if a certain product arrives at the store, but I didn't think I would ever hear from them. Well, yesterday I received an email saying it is now stocked in my local store.

Because rice cakes are actually made of puffed rice, I have been crumbling them and using as cereal, so am glad I won't have to do that any more.

I hope everyone's weight loss is progressing. I have been stalled for the past week even though I haven't cheated at all. That is why I plan to eat whatever I want at Golden Corral tomorrow. Kind of like cutting off my nose to spite my face. I probably won't be happy when I step on the scale Friday, but at least I'll enjoy tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #21
hopetolose
Senior LCF Member

Hi to Everyone.

Glad you mentioned the rice cakes, Bracelet, I have some of those and that sounds good.
Yesterday was a busy day, so my menu isn't too great, but stayed in my calorie range. I have really been into oatmeal lately with this cold weather.

B - Glucerna shake (found a big sale)
L - Frozen salisbury steak entree and salad
S - Glucerna shake
D - oatmeal with dry milk and blueberries
S - Celery

Golden Corral sounds so good too. I think we have to reward ourselves once in a while.
Glad my closest one is 70 miles away. I know what you mean about the scales and Golden Corral. So much sodium that I can actually gain 5# when I eat there. I will be happy when warm weather comes so I can get outside and away from the kitchen.

It is so discouraging when we stay on plan and don't lose.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #22
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

I just read online that Weight Watchers now makes "Skinny Pasta" with 10 calories per serving.

For Valentines Day I received a cheesecake and a Milky Way candy bar. I will be working it all into my calorie counts for the next few days.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #23
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

This pie is soooo good. If anyone knows of a good, low calorie pie crust, I'd love to hear about it.

CRUSTLESS PUMPKIN PIE (303 calories for the whole pie)
(76 calories for 1/4 of pie, 51 calories for 1/6 of pie)

1 can pumpkin - 175
sweetener to equal 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
1 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice – 5
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup almond milk – 23
3/4 cup Egg Beaters – 100

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” pie pan. Thoroughly stir together all ingredients, pour in pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until the center is set. Cool, refrigerate until cold, then run a knife around the rim of the pan and slice.