Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 AM   #1
darkchocolate
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darkchocolate
Gelatin

What is the best brand of gelatin (not Jell-O) to buy? What health benefits to you find you get from taking it?

Thanks!
darkchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Stats: 5' 7"/170cm, 61-63Kg
WOE: Kwasniewski
Start Date: Maintenance since 2001, VLC for six+ years now!
Hi Dark Chocolate. What a nice subject for a thread.

I use two different brands of beef gelatin: NOW and Great Lakes.

Gelatin is useful esp. for the glycine. Glycine is key in the methylation cycle. Dr. Chris Masterjohn has written much about methylation and the importance of glycine, and eating bone broth for gelatin, at the Weston A. Price Foundation. Optimizing the methylation in our brains is key to neurotransmitter and endorphin functioning.

All that means that eating gelatin makes us happy, strong, calm, and poised! Egg yolks, offal, marrow, bone broths, and gelatin!

Eating gelatin improves the bioavailability of eating other animal proteins, and helps heal intestinal permeability. It also helps joints, nails, hair, skin, etc. There are studies showing all this.

I try to use 2 Tablespoons of gelatin granules each day.

I find gelatin a key component in keeping a nutrient-rich food plan.

I gelatin.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj
Maintainers over-55 Thread

Daily Callanetics.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:31 AM   #3
darkchocolate
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em, I really appreciate you sharing all that you did. It is very helpful to me. Thank you!

I'll look forward to reading about the benefits others have gotten or just why they feel it is a healthy thing to add to our diet.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, DkCh. I'm glad that helped. It has been quite a puzzle to put together a keto diet that really suits me, and gelatin has helped me. I experiment with changing only one thing, adding something, or taking something out. Gelatin just helps me feel better, stronger, calmer, etc., overall.

Knox brand, and Kroger house brand, do not guarantee which animals their gelatin comes from.

I wanted beef gelatin, and the NOW and the Great Lakes are the only two beef-only that I know of.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj

Daily Callanetics.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I just noticed your quote Auntie Em. I really like it as it is very thought provoking! Gotta love Dr. D.!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, yes, he is rather my favorite.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Daily Callanetics.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
You can also get good quality gelatin powder from Vital proteins. It comes out slightly less expensive than Great Lakes.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Galveston Gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0" Maintenance
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat added JUDDD 10-12-15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
You can also get good quality gelatin powder from Vital proteins. It comes out slightly less expensive than Great Lakes.
When you mix your gelatin pwd. does it become thick when it is cold...or does it thicken when you heat it? Thanks
Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #9
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
I mix a tablespoon of my great lakes beef gelatin powder in cold water, let it soak for about 5 minutes and then I stir it into a cup of hot tea. I take this on an empty stomach in the morning. If I would let my tea get cold, I'm sure it will get thick! (gelatin liquidises with heat and sets when it cools)

I've found that mixing gelating powder straight into a hot beverage doesn't really help dissolve the powder properly, and I'm left with clumpy bits. So I soak it in cold water and then dump the clump of jelly into my hot tea, it dissolves pretty much instantly.

I also stir in gelatin into stews, sauces, etc for an extra nutrition boost!

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
Galveston Gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0" Maintenance
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat added JUDDD 10-12-15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I mix a tablespoon of my great lakes beef gelatin powder in cold water, let it soak for about 5 minutes and then I stir it into a cup of hot tea. I take this on an empty stomach in the morning. If I would let my tea get cold, I'm sure it will get thick! (gelatin liquidises with heat and sets when it cools)

I've found that mixing gelating powder straight into a hot beverage doesn't really help dissolve the powder properly, and I'm left with clumpy bits. So I soak it in cold water and then dump the clump of jelly into my hot tea, it dissolves pretty much instantly.

I also stir in gelatin into stews, sauces, etc for an extra nutrition boost!
Thanks, Mimosa!
When my own broth runs out, this sounds like a good option!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, this is what I do when I don't have broth too!

At the moment I'm drinking broth and drinking my gelatin tea: I'm recovering from an operation and need some joint support!

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
You can also buy the Great Lakes collagen. It dissolves in hot or cold liquid and doesn't thicken if you don't want a gelatin consistency.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I'm on board for Great Lakes - bought the green can and it arrived in the mail tonight. Just added a serving to my bone broth and will heat it up tomorrow.

grneyedldy - you hooked me! Plus this thread and some other stuff.

regimen is now bone broth + collagen. I'll give it 2-3 months and see how it goes. I did read that it can take up to three months for the collagen to start working.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 AM   #14
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Apparently, for us weight losers, gelatin may help reduce loose skin too... Eat/drink up!

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 01-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
Why the concern about type of animal? Maybe something I need to read up on ...

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:24 AM   #16
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Mimosa, if that's true about the loose skin tightening up, I'll increase my intake!

BKM, I don't eat pork, so I check to make sure that the gelatin I use is from beef.

----

If I want to drink the gelatin right away, I just dissolve it w/ room temp filtered water, and put my tea in the cup of gelatin-water mixture, and the hot tea melts the gelatin. I just drink that.

If I am making something that I want to have as firm gelatin. I use 1 rounded Tablespoon of gelatin granules for 2 cups of water. Dissolve gelatin in room temp water, and then add hot water to melt. I let it cool, or add something cold until it is at room temp and then add stevia, or olives, or whatever things add flavor to what I am making.

I make:

olive gelatin
vinegar-and-salt gelatin
stevia gelatin

gelatin cream desserts, often called Panna Cotta these days: Spanish Cream, Vanilla Cream, Bavarian Cream....

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Daily Callanetics.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #17
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Coincidentally I just began using gelatin again, mainly in soup, jellied cranberry sauce and panna cotta. Nice to know that there are some health benefits! I was simply trying to add some pizzazz to my boring recipes.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

I need to add pizzazz to my boring life...

OK, end of thread-jack.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 AM   #19
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Heidi.

Sbar, thanks for the chuckle.

Chris Masterjohn has written several articles for the Weston A. Price Foundation, on the nutritional benefits of gelatin. There is an excellent one on glycine and methylation.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Daily Callanetics.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #20
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Heidi, here is how I make my gelatin foods:

The vinegar-&-salt gelatin:

I use 2-cup glass jars with plastic, screw-on lids. I put about 4 tsps of beef gelatin granules in ca. 2 ounces of room temp. water in the jar. Let that swell. Add whatever vinegar mixture you like. I like white vinegar w/ some drops of English malt vinegar. Use however much vinegar suits your taste. Some sea salt. Fill jar with hot water, stir, so that the gelatin is well dissolved. Let cool. Put on the lid and into the fridge.

I eat this with homemade hh/hwc yoghurt.

Note: This could be made with baking oils, such as the natural flavors: mint, lemon, orange, almond, or anise, and whatever sweetener you like, rather than vinegar-&-salt.

Gelatin cream (these are currently fashionable when called Panna Cotta, but have been in cookbooks as gelatin cream since at least as long ago as the 1800s.)

Similar method: I use a 2-cup jar. Add approx 4 teaspoons of beef gelatin granules to ca. 2 ounces of room temperature water. Let swell. Add hot water to fill up to approx. 1/2 level of the jar. Stir. Let cool a bit. Add vanilla extract, or scraped vanilla bean, and sweetener of choice. Add 1 cup hwc (I often use sour cream or my homemade yoghurt made from hh/hwc.) Stir. Let cool. Refrigerate.

The early recipes called for brandy and sugar. One could add unsw. shredded coconut, or ground nuts, or whatever one wished. The cream and water proportions can also be changed as desired.

There are many recipes online for Panna Cotta.
Also gelatin whips, Spanish Cream, Bavarian cream, and so on. Most old cookbooks have an index, and will have gelatin salads, aspic, and other uses for gelatin, along with gelatin desserts.

There is a collection of historical cookbooks, which can be read online, at Michigan State University. The collection is named "Feeding America", and there are cookbooks from the late 18th through the early 20th centuries. It is delightful to read them. I did a search using the word "gelatin" and many, many recipes came up in the list.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Daily Callanetics.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-23-2015 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: corrected typing
Old 01-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #21
darkchocolate
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Heidi, here is how I make my gelatin foods:

The vinegar-&-salt gelatin:

I use 2-cup glass jars with plastic, screw-on lids. I put about 4 tsps of beef gelatin granules in ca. 2 ounces of room temp. water in the jar. Let that swell. Add whatever vinegar mixture you like. I like white vinegar w/ some drops of English malt vinegar. Use however much vinegar suits your taste. Some sea salt. Fill jar with hot water, stir, so that the gelatin is well dissolved. Let cool. Put on the lid and into the fridge.

I eat this with homemade hh/hwc yoghurt.

Note: This could be made with baking oils, such as the natural flavors: mint, lemon, orange, almond, or anise, and whatever sweetener you like, rather than vinegar-&-salt.

Gelatin cream (these are currently fashionable when called Panna Cotta, but have been in cookbooks as gelatin cream since at least as long ago as the 1800s.)

Similar method: I use a 2-cup jar. Add approx 4 teaspoons of beef gelatin granules to ca. 2 ounces of room temperature water. Let swell. Add hot water to fill up to approx. 1/2 level of the jar. Stir. Let cool a bit. Add vanilla extract, or scraped vanilla bean, and sweetener of choice. Add 1 cup hwc (I often use sour cream or my homemade yoghurt made from hh/hwc.) Stir. Let cool. Refrigerate.

The early recipes called for brandy and sugar. One could add unsw. shredded coconut, or ground nuts, or whatever one wished. The cream and water proportions can also be changed as desired.

There are many recipes online for Panna Cotta.
Also gelatin whips, Spanish Cream, Bavarian cream, and so on. Most old cookbooks have an index, and will have gelatin salads, aspic, and other uses for gelatin, along with gelatin desserts.

There is a collection of historical cookbooks, which can be read online, at Michigan State University. The collection is named "Feeding America", and there are cookbooks from the late 18th through the early 20th centuries. It is delightful to read them. I did a search using the word "gelatin" and many, many recipes came up in the list.

This recipe sounds intriguing, but I don't understand what the bolded and highlighted directions mean, sorry. I underlined and bolded what I didn't understand in your post.

I'm just not sure what "ca" refers to.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #22
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Auntie Em - thank you for your contributions and recipes. I think I'll try the gelatin cream for my 6 yo daughter. She's not technically LC although she is limited to a few snacks a week and I'm trying to gradually steer her towards these types of foods. It's unspoken and we only shop once a week so we don't have stocked cupboards. If she's a bit hungry, she's a bit more open-minded.

If gelatin creams become another go to food, I have won another battle in keeping her on the real food path. I do use almond milk and glucomannan to make a pudding with stevia.

What gelatin do you use? I just bought Great Lakes (green can) so it doesn't gel, but if I can gradually incorporate these foods into the household, all the better so I would gladly purchase other types.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #23
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I am glad to have a gelatin thread. Thanks for the gelatin recipes Auntie Em and the historical cookbooks site. I do love to read about how they cooked over the years.

I will try the vinegar based ones next. I made a wonderful coffee panna cotta at Christmas and ate too much of it of course. Gelatin gives great flavor to soups and stews. My grandmother made aspic once a year for New Year's Day, but I cannot recall what she put n it. Oh yes, the brandy sounds good too, but I don't have any!

I am hoping for positive results for arthritis pain for my husband from the gelatin. We began taking 1T today. He was not happy with the texture. I will update in about 1 month whether we have results or not.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet

Last edited by Heidinem; 01-25-2015 at 07:04 AM..
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #24
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
I have read about the benefits of gelatin, bought the Great Lakes brand, and now can't seem to get it down. The texture is just killing me. I know I need it. I have a lot of healing that needs to take place in my body. I may try the recipe that uses sour cream and sweetener. Thanks for the recipe Auntie Em. I am a member of WAPF and I'm trying to incorporate more of their methods.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #25
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

cfine - do you have the red or green can?

I use the green can which doesn't need to be hot, but I got the green can just in case. Now I want the red can to try some gelatin recipes.

If you mix it with hot coffee (I put 12 grams in my 24 oz. bulletproof coffee and don't taste it). I have also added it to a 16 oz. mug of bone broth for a double kick, doesn't have any flavor in that, either.

Again, I'm using the green can in hot liquids.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #26
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

I wanted to pop in here and let you know that I often make the gummies that Maria Emmerich posts on her blog. They are great! I use the red can Great Lakes beef gelatin BTW...

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 01-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #27
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning. I have used NOW for several years and like it, but recently bought some Great Lakes as so many recommend it. NOW costs much less.

I made a gelatin cream yesterday, with only vanilla extract, no stevia. I used 3 parts sour cream and 1 part water/gelatin. I really liked it.

---Peter Dobromylskyj

Daily Callanetics.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #28
darkchocolate
Senior LCF Member

AuntieEm, did you see my question post 21?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #29
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

darkchocolate, ca. means circa, in other words: approximately. HTH!

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #30
darkchocolate
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
darkchocolate, ca. means circa, in other words: approximately. HTH!
Thank you so much, that does help.