Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Low Potassium Foods & Food Lists

Low Potassium Foods & Food Lists

I wanted to add this thread to help me stay on track.
My kidneys are at level 3, according to my renal doc, so I still have to watch my potassium, phosphorus, & salt.
I have been pretty lax on keeping track of this stuff lately.
I actually thought I was in the clear about what I could eat until a couple of blood tests ago.
My last blood test, my potassium was 5.3 and my creatnine was just under 2 which the doc was happy about cuz my creatnine has always ran a bit high.
I could have had bad blood tests as well because that seems to happen at times
I believe that my kidneys are healed, but I don't want to push my luck---this has been a very tough year for me and I'm still not done with all the follow up doc visits.

So back to the thread. I was perusing our stock of canned goods and found 2 cans of yellow hominy. I can't tell you how happy I was to discover that the potassium count is only 15 per cup. I can have piles of this
Yipee!!
This is just about the lowest potassium vegetable i have found. Now the sodium might be high, but for me..the potassium content is my worry at the moment.

So if anyone has any recipes using hominy, I would be grateful if you could post them here. I've only eaten hominy plain, in soup, & a cheese/hominy dip dish. And I have added it to chili. I like it, but I was more worried about carbs in the past, so I hardly consumed it since it's basically corn.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went to Wal-Mart last night and I was so tempted to buy a gallon can (cafeteria size can, maybe not quite a gallon) for $2.99.
I thought that was pretty cheap, but then I realized I had no idea what to do with that much hominy, so I had to resist.
I was dwelling the 15 potassium count and thinking I could eat the whole can...as if..hahaha
I must have been hungry when I went to the store.
It gives me crazy ideas to go shopping on an empty stomach.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Smart Buns

I was using these all the time and I have 3 pkgs in the freezer still, but they are 220 each on the potassium count.
A regular sesame seeded bun is only around 40, depending on the brand.
It seems that most/a lot of premade low carb foods are quite high in potassium.

I am trying to keep my daily limit under 2000, closer to 1500 grams. It ain't an easy task.

Last edited by Nigel; 11-07-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Gosh, Nigel! Low carb, vegetarian and now low potassium. I am glad you are able to bear with it. I think I might run low on patience. Hominy is pretty high carb, isn't it?

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
Gosh, Nigel! Low carb, vegetarian and now low potassium. I am glad you are able to bear with it. I think I might run low on patience. Hominy is pretty high carb, isn't it?
Howdy!! A cup has about 19 carbs so for me, its in the moderate carb level.
I recall a thread a long time ago about Jaunita's hominy in the recipe help and suggestions forum--its supposed to be lower carb. I found that brand tough and not tasty at all. I guess its okay if you are making something out of it, but just plain, I didn't care for it.

I do worry less about carbs right now until my kidneys are !00%, the potassium and other stuff is more important--unless I start gaining weight. Yikes.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I have only had hominy the same way as you but I grew up in the south and it was just served as a side. Google around and you may find some new ways to use it.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have googled for recipes a couple of times and I found a few, a lot of them very similar, but I kept a few to try out. I am okay with just eating it heated up too, I just keep forgetting we have it. I am going to put a note on the fridge so I will remember at dinnertime.