Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Dreamfields

Does anyone still use this brand? I cant find the lasagna anymore, but I can still get the other varieties...

I know about the whole law suit thing, but I was wondering if anyone still has success with occasional use?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I use it occasionally, but since I learned about the whole resistant starch thing, I am more likely to just get regular pasta, cook it ahead of time, chill it at least overnight, and then reheat it - I don't know how it compares with the Dreamfields in resistant starch but both DH and I can eat a reasonable portion of regular pasta treated this way and not suffer any ill effects. So I no longer go out of my way to buy the (more expensive) Dreamfields. YMMV!!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I still use it on the rare occasions when we have pasta. I don not check blood sugar anymore. It seems like I eat too much on pasta days even on the following days. I mix it with wax beans after cooking in order to fool myself and that works pretty well.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 207/198.2 /goal 150
WOE: Protein Power, mostly
Start Date: January/1/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
I still use it on the rare occasions when we have pasta. I don not check blood sugar anymore. It seems like I eat too much on pasta days even on the following days. I mix it with wax beans after cooking in order to fool myself and that works pretty well.

I like that idea, mixing with wax beans, good tip.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I use it all the time, I just buy it from Netrition even tho I can get it from my local Food Saver or Jewel....I like to support this board. It's reasonably priced and until it's not I'll continue to do so. I don't have any issues with this product but I know some people do. I was reimbursed from the company for buying the product, which I did appreciate.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Me too, I got like $60 back, so obviously I had spent some money on it prior to the lawsuit! And that didn't count the stuff I bought locally in grocery stores, just what I had bought probably on Netrition.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
BonnyLass
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
I use it, I love it and at with cream, garlic, red pepper flakes and parm. Hits the spot and I find it more filling than regular pasta. It's defiatly not a regular menu item, and maybe it's years of conditioning, but I wouldn't use any other brand. Hmm. haven't noticed about the lasagna noodles. You could always layer the Rigatoni??
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
ncgirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
I didn't miss pasta, and then I tried the Thinslim version....and am going broke on it!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
when i did use it, it had no adverse effect on my weight loss.

however, I ALWAYS paid strict attention to the instructions on the box incl portion size. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I have diabetes, so I need to be careful with starchy carbs. I can eat lasagna without a problem and I think that's because of all the meat and cheese in it. Eating protein with a starch seems to make it less likely to spike blood sugar. Spaghetti is a little different, because I have a real hard time limiting portions. I have never tried Dreamfields. I read somewhere that angel hair is very low on the GI compared to other pasta so I use that.

Why is it that the things we like the most are the most bad for us?

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosemary~
Stats: 244/113
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: February 2011
I do wish Dreamfields would come out with a clear statement regarding whether or not reheating their cooked pasta destroys the "carb blocking" benefits. I still buy it and use it about once a week, however, I generally eat half the pasta I've cooked while it's hot and make a cold pasta salad with the second half just to be safe carb-wise.
Rosemary~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
anthony
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anthony
WOE: Atkins Forever
Start Date: November 1999
I find it in my local grocery store., although Netririon.com has it for mailorder.

The best thing about being a pessimist is that
I'm always either right or pleasantly surprised...

anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I doubt if Dreamfields is going to come forward with any more statements after what they went through. I don't know what is different about Dreamfields if anything, but I found this statement online in 2 different articles when I googled "is reheated pasta less fattening." This is the result of a study done in the UK.

So what did happen?

Well we were fairly confident the cold pasta would be more resistant than the stuff that had been freshly cooked and we were right.

Just as expected, eating cold pasta led to a smaller spike in blood glucose and insulin than eating freshly boiled pasta had.

But then we found something that we really didn't expect - cooking, cooling and then reheating the pasta had an even more dramatic effect. Or, to be precise, an even smaller effect on blood glucose.

In fact, it reduced the rise in blood glucose by 50%.

This certainly suggests that reheating the pasta made it into an even more "resistant starch". It's an extraordinary result and one never measured before

And I LOVE leftover pasta!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #14
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

There's a restaurant that we go to where they cook their pasta in advance and refrigerate it until someone orders it and then reheat it. I know this for a fact because a server there told me. So I would imagine that other restaurants do that also.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 11-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I doubt if Dreamfields is going to come forward with any more statements after what they went through. I don't know what is different about Dreamfields if anything, but I found this statement online in 2 different articles when I googled "is reheated pasta less fattening." This is the result of a study done in the UK.

So what did happen?

Well we were fairly confident the cold pasta would be more resistant than the stuff that had been freshly cooked and we were right.

Just as expected, eating cold pasta led to a smaller spike in blood glucose and insulin than eating freshly boiled pasta had.

But then we found something that we really didn't expect - cooking, cooling and then reheating the pasta had an even more dramatic effect. Or, to be precise, an even smaller effect on blood glucose.

In fact, it reduced the rise in blood glucose by 50%.

This certainly suggests that reheating the pasta made it into an even more "resistant starch". It's an extraordinary result and one never measured before

And I LOVE leftover pasta!
I love it too! Standing in front of an open refrigerator eating it cold is great!
Thanks for the above info. I reached my goal weight and have been maintaining about 3 years. As I said in my post making the pasta, eating it hot for one meal and cold in a pasta salad a few days later works but reheated the second or third night (don't mind leftovers) is helpful to a person cooking only for themselves. After my cold pasta salad lunch I checked my blood sugar level 2 hours later and it had risen to 160. That bothered me a little.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #16
BonnyLass
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
however, I ALWAYS paid strict attention to the instructions on the box incl portion size. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Hi Flat- it's been awhile. Glad to see we are both sill hanging in there!!
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #17
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

back at ya, BONNIELASS!

I have been doing a lot of reading about DREAMFIELDS. it seems they were not honest about their labeling. what betrayal! especially that so many of their users are diabetic, me included. I have a few boxes of the stuff in my house. I will not say that I will NEVER use it, but now is not the time. in a few months, I will be celebrating 67 years since landing on this planet. I will make a lasagna to celebrate...using sliced egg plant in place of pasta noodles. I want to make more intense friends with my copperchef pan first. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 11-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #18
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
I have used the Carba-Nada Pappardelle in chicken noodle soup and it's really good! (it does have gluten, so I use it on rare occasions, I wouldn't make a full meal of it).
This was the extra wide variety, I'd probably use the thinner variety next time.
https://www2.netrition.com/al-dente-...ppardelle.html

Serving size is big: 1-1/2 cups, and I probably put less than 1 cup in a big pot of soup (4-5 servings) and they swell up and looked like there were a lot in there.
24g carbs/7g fiber.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #19
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I have used the Carba-Nada Pappardelle in chicken noodle soup and it's really good! (it does have gluten, so I use it on rare occasions, I wouldn't make a full meal of it).
This was the extra wide variety, I'd probably use the thinner variety next time.
https://www2.netrition.com/al-dente-...ppardelle.html

Serving size is big: 1-1/2 cups, and I probably put less than 1 cup in a big pot of soup (4-5 servings) and they swell up and looked like there were a lot in there.
24g carbs/7g fiber.
Thanks for the information. I've been looking around for something besides shirataki noodles to add to noodle soup.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #20
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

i have been thinking of using shiritaki noodles(1st time)

I can dry roast them in a skillet. once one hears a cracking sound, they are ready for prime time. I want to make Linda Sue's chili (1st time for me) to put over them, instead of using DREAMFIELDS. I will also tweak the recipe by using less onion, or using scallions, which is less carbs for a 1/2 cup of them. Has anyone used shirataki noodles, and if so, what were your(singular or plural) experiences? also, there are many things one can use to put underneath the chili, such as scrambled eggs or an omelet. one is limited only by one's imagination and one's daily carb choice amounts. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI