Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
iso9000qs
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iso9000qs
Probiotic supplements survey?

Do you take them? If so, why
Has it made a difference?- How so?
Which ones are you taking and why?

Thanks for any insight you can give!
Jane
iso9000qs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Yes, I take one of the Costco brands (trunature) mainly because it's cheaper as probiotics can be pricey. My issue had always been intense intestinal cramping after eating...not always but more than I was comfortable with. These probiotics worked immediately and I no longer get that cramping. I also take them because I've read that immunity begins in your gut so I take it to ward off colds and such, and that seems to be working as I haven't had a bad cold in many many years, only sniffles occasionally. If I didn't have to worry about finances, I would probably invest in one of the more expensive probiotics, ones with more strains as I understand those work better because they cover more of the bases.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
I have been making my own sauerkraut since April, as I read that making our own you get lots of probiotic's in just a couple spoonsfull. I make it in a jar. You will find lots of info on this when you google. I hope you try it!

I made it because of my "bathroom problem". It works, I now "go" every day since using this.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
rharmelink
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rharmelink
When I started taking probiotics (recommended after an IV antibiotic stay in the hospital), I got the PRO-15 from Amazon, because it was a top seller and so highly rated over a large number of reviewers. I can't say I really saw any kind of health improvement though.

I had "loose" bowels if I took them every day, and found a Monday/Thursday regimen worked best. Before taking them, I sometimes had very hard stools.
rharmelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I take them twice a day - and like rharmelink, my reason for taking them was a stint in the hospital on heavy-duty antibiotics. They started giving me Florastor while I was in there.

I had sporadically taken the TruNature or Culturelle prior to that.

I asked my surgeon if I should continue taking the Florastor and he basically said, "If it makes you feel better to take it, then take it!"

So I take a Florastor in the morning and a TruNature at bedtime. I don't know if it does anything earth-shattering for me, but I AM "regular" (plus I also eat half a dozen dried apricots a day) and determined to stay that way, as I believe being constipated and straining the week before my diverticulitis episode contributed to the problem. I have NO DESIRE EVER to repeat THAT debacle so if the probiotics in some way help me, you can bet I'm gonna keep taking them!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
E.W.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Although not a probiotic as such I use the soluble fiber inulinFOS sometimes just called inulin. This strange stuff often taste like sugar just a lot weaker and is even used as the sweetener in Carbon Perfection bars like are sold at Netrition. Warning it can cause you to pass gas especially at the start. I am a type 2 diabetic and found that when I use it my morning blood sugar is about 10 to 15 points lower and during the day I am just not quite as hungry and typically end up eating about 10% less. I hope it's ok to post this article about it. http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2017...onal-food.html
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I have been looking for one to take. I may try Floraster when I next order from the big A.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
I have been looking for one to take. I may try Floraster when I next order from the big A.
Heidi, if you have Costco, their pharmacy carries it. Not Rx, just behind their counter. I get it there - it was cheaper than Amazon.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #9
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Costco is out of reach in my area. Sooo crowded near the highway, over 20 miles away. Stuck w/ the big A!

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote