Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #211
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Star123
Stats: 208/177/128, 5'5" med frame
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: Restart 1/1/2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrhae View Post
I have stalled the last few weeks!! up and down!
I found I couldn’t drink the Premier protein drink !! Maybe it had soy in it!!
I had been drinking them for a couple years with no luck!!
Started reading up on things I could do and cut back to one cup of coffee a day as it can raise insulin!!
Also I cut dairy out for the week and went down 1 lb!!
Slow but sure!! I am 67 so things seem to go slower for me as dieting has slowed my metabolism over all these years!! The most amazing thing I keep seeing is getting healthy and then you lose weight !!
I watch a lot of Dr Eric Berg on You Tube and he has a place on FB where many people share their concerns and pictures!!
All of this is so very helpful!!
We all are different and need to get to know our bodies!!
Starrhae ~ I really enjoyed reading your post today! I am 55+ and too have a slow metabolism. Weight comes off slow and steady too. I am going to stop weighting myself every morning, because as I mentioned to Jabbok, the scale doesn't always tell the truth. Measuring yourself is better, and as you have mentioned getting to know our bodies is the key to getting healthy! Thanks.
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
Philippians 4:13

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ez...mVe/weight.png
Star123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #212
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Things that go wrong with the Scale

Just wanted to share some info about weightloss vs the scale. It is so important to be aware of all the things that can go wrong with “scale weight.” There are all kinds of reasons for a temporary upward fluctuation in scale weight that have nothing to do with fat gain or loss. Just to name a few:

Hormonal fluctuations (women in particular will retain more or less water weight, depending on the time of the month).
Bowel movements A little gross to think about, but this can make a 1-2 pound difference in the “scale weight.”
Food in your stomach The average person eats 3-5 pounds of food per day. Don’t weigh yourself once in the morning before breakfast and then get discouraged when you “gained” a few pounds by the evening!
Clothes Are you wearing different pants? A sweater? A bulky belt buckle? The scale doesn’t know the difference between your clothes and your body.
Water retention from carbohydrates This is the reverse of the initial rapid water weight loss. Remember that every gram of carbohydrate stored in the body comes along with a few grams of water (different studies put this between 3 and 4 grams of water per gram coffee of carbohydrate). Increasing carbs can be helpful for fat loss in the long run, but it can also cause water weight gain in the short term.
Salt intake Salt is not bad for you, but it can cause you to retain water.
Caffeine intake Caffeine is a diuretic (causes you to lose water). On the other hand, if you decide to quit coffee, you’ll hold on to a little more water weight.
Medications Birth control pills, steroids, and antidepressants can all cause water retention.
Gaining muscle Another huge reason why the scale lies is that it measures muscle as well as fat. If you’re doing any kind of strength training or muscle-building exercise (you should be!), you may be gaining muscle. Muscle will show up on the scale as “weight” just like fat – it’s all pounds, so it all counts. But muscle is the kind of weight you want more of.

The upshot: the scale measures total mass, but not all mass is equal. Constipation, your belt buckle, monthly water retention, and food in your stomach are not fat gain. Muscle gain is not fat gain. Fixating on the day-to-day scale weight is a perfect recipe for getting completely mired in these little details, and that’s just a miserable roller-coaster nobody wants to be on.

Last edited by Star123; 03-03-2018 at 02:51 PM..
Old 03-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #213
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #214
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jabbok
Good morning ladies hope you are having a good day and have lost some weight.

I am on my 2nd day of the egg fast and was down .8 this morning a nice drop and tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I started Keto I am hoping this egg fast will jump start the losses again.

Thanks Tammy for posting about the causes of no weight loss.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
jabbok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #215
leisha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/188/155
WOE: Keto LCHF
Start Date: 2005 Joined LCF Mar 1 '17 Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star123 View Post
Just wanted to share some info about weightloss vs the scale. It is so important to be aware of all the things that can go wrong with “scale weight.” There are all kinds of reasons for a temporary upward fluctuation in scale weight that have nothing to do with fat gain or loss. Just to name a few:

Hormonal fluctuations (women in particular will retain more or less water weight, depending on the time of the month).
Bowel movements A little gross to think about, but this can make a 1-2 pound difference in the “scale weight.”
Food in your stomach The average person eats 3-5 pounds of food per day. Don’t weigh yourself once in the morning before breakfast and then get discouraged when you “gained” a few pounds by the evening!
Clothes Are you wearing different pants? A sweater? A bulky belt buckle? The scale doesn’t know the difference between your clothes and your body.
Water retention from carbohydrates This is the reverse of the initial rapid water weight loss. Remember that every gram of carbohydrate stored in the body comes along with a few grams of water (different studies put this between 3 and 4 grams of water per gram coffee of carbohydrate). Increasing carbs can be helpful for fat loss in the long run, but it can also cause water weight gain in the short term.
Salt intake Salt is not bad for you, but it can cause you to retain water.
Caffeine intake Caffeine is a diuretic (causes you to lose water). On the other hand, if you decide to quit coffee, you’ll hold on to a little more water weight.
Medications Birth control pills, steroids, and antidepressants can all cause water retention.
Gaining muscle Another huge reason why the scale lies is that it measures muscle as well as fat. If you’re doing any kind of strength training or muscle-building exercise (you should be!), you may be gaining muscle. Muscle will show up on the scale as “weight” just like fat – it’s all pounds, so it all counts. But muscle is the kind of weight you want more of.

The upshot: the scale measures total mass, but not all mass is equal. Constipation, your belt buckle, monthly water retention, and food in your stomach are not fat gain. Muscle gain is not fat gain. Fixating on the day-to-day scale weight is a perfect recipe for getting completely mired in these little details, and that’s just a miserable roller-coaster nobody wants to be on.
Thanks Tammy! I get so frustrated sometimes!
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psm 118:24
210 208 206 205 204 202 200 198 196 194 192 190 188 186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 169 168 166 163 162 160 158 156
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #216
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Lcarb Healthy Peanut Butter Cups

Healthy Lcarb Peanut Butter Cups

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 12 cups
Ingredients:
Bottom Layer (chocolate)
1/3 cup all natural creamy peanut butter
2.5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sweetner to taste*

Top Layer (peanut butter)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons
Himalayan sea salt

Method:
Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners. Spray with coconut oil cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir all ingredients for the bottom layer (chocolate) together until smooth. Set aside.

In another medium bowl, stir all ingredients for the top layer (peanut butter) together until smooth. Set aside.

Scoop a heaping 1/2 tablespoon of the chocolate layer into each muffin cup. Repeat until you’ve filled around 12 cups. Then, pick up the entire muffin tin and shake and tap until the layer is set evenly. You should get around 12 cups.

Repeat the same thing with the peanut butter layer, plopping around 1/2 tablespoon on top of the chocolate layer. Pick up the entire muffin tin one last time and shake and tap until your cups are even.

Finally, sprinkle each cup with some Himalayan sea salt.
Place muffin tin in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm. Enjoy!
Store healthy peanut butter cups in the freezer to enjoy for later.

Notes: Make sure you are using an all natural, drippy peanut butter for this recipe. We recommend Smuckers All Natural, Trader Joe’s All Natural, or Fresh Thyme All Natural.

Nutrition: Serving Size: 1 cup Calories: 157 Sugar: 5 Fat: 13 S

Last edited by Star123; 03-04-2018 at 07:15 PM..
Old 03-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #217
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Healthy Lcarb Chocolate Peanut butter Cups

Healthy Lcarb Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 12 cups
Ingredients:
Bottom Layer (chocolate)
2.5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sweetner to taste*

Top Layer (peanut butter)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons
Himalayan sea salt

Method:
Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners. Spray with coconut oil cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir all ingredients for the bottom layer (chocolate) together until smooth. Set aside.

In another medium bowl, stir all ingredients for the top layer (peanut butter) together until smooth. Set aside.

Scoop a heaping 1/2 tablespoon of the chocolate layer into each muffin cup. Repeat until you’ve filled around 12 cups. Then, pick up the entire muffin tin and shake and tap until the layer is set evenly. You should get around 12 cups.

Repeat the same thing with the peanut butter layer, plopping around 1/2 tablespoon on top of the chocolate layer. Pick up the entire muffin tin one last time and shake and tap until your cups are even.

Finally, sprinkle each cup with some Himalayan sea salt.
Place muffin tin in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm. Enjoy!

Notes: Make sure you are using an all natural, drippy peanut butter for this recipe. We recommend Smuckers All Natural, Trader Joe’s All Natural, or Fresh Thyme All Natural.

Nutrition: Serving Size: 1 cupCalories: 157Sugar: 5Fat: 13Saturated Fat: 6Carbohydrates: 8Fiber: 1Protein: 4

Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #218
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone hope your weekend was good.

Tammy thanks for posting the recipe it really looks good.

I am on 3rd day of egg fast down .6 this morning I will either do the 3 or 5 days not sure yet but if I go to 5 days I will need more eggs.

I really want to add veggies back in and also have some kind of meat, I want to make chicken fingers someone posted cutting chicken breasts into finger size pieces wrapping them in bacon and cooking in the oven for about 15 - 20 mins. they sound really good and a quick meal to prep.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #219
leisha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/188/155
WOE: Keto LCHF
Start Date: 2005 Joined LCF Mar 1 '17 Keto
Tammy, I made something similar to this last night. Mine are just lazier/easier.....coconut oil, peanut butter, real butter and a pack of splenda. Also put a pecan half in them before they hardened in the freezer. I'm going to let myself have that one pecan half everyday this week!
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psm 118:24
210 208 206 205 204 202 200 198 196 194 192 190 188 186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 169 168 166 163 162 160 158 156
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #220
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jshaf
Stats: 450/298/180
WOE: Keto combined with OMAD and extended fasting
Start Date: October 8th 2017
haven't replied to this thread in a couple weeks and just wanted to mention that I have had a slow down in my weight loss in recent weeks, eliminated sugar substitutes like aspartame, sucrose, etc. anything sweet gone! lost 8 lbs this past week. down 104 lbs since 10-08-2017.
jshaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #221
shirlc
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/129/128-5'4 1/2"
WOE: IF 16/8 started 10/1/17
Start Date: LCF - March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
haven't replied to this thread in a couple weeks and just wanted to mention that I have had a slow down in my weight loss in recent weeks, eliminated sugar substitutes like aspartame, sucrose, etc. anything sweet gone! lost 8 lbs this past week. down 104 lbs since 10-08-2017.
Good for you!!!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Oliver Goldsmith
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #222
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=jshaf;17719070]haven't replied to this thread in a couple weeks and just wanted to mention that I have had a slow down in my weight loss in recent weeks, eliminated sugar substitutes like aspartame, sucrose, etc. anything sweet gone! lost 8 lbs this past week. down 104 lbs since 10-08-2017.[/QUOTE

good for you that is an amazing loss.

Do you think it was the sugar substitutes that were causing the slow down in your weight loss?

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #223
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For me today I am up .8 not sure why so I will transition off the egg fast as it really didn't do much so I will go back to the Keto eating and keep track of the calories, carbs, fats, protein.

The 3 days of egg fast I lost a total of .6 pounds so for me it wasn't really worth not eating anything else besides eggs, cheese and butter. The .6 is still good as I was stuck for such a long time at the same weight or losing a bit but gaining more back.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #224
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbok View Post
Do you think it was the sugar substitutes that were causing the slow down in your weight loss?

that is my assumption, will know Sunday if the weight loss occurs again
Old 03-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #225
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisha View Post
Tammy, I made something similar to this last night. Mine are just lazier/easier.....coconut oil, peanut butter, real butter and a pack of splenda. Also put a pecan half in them before they hardened in the freezer. I'm going to let myself have that one pecan half everyday this week!
Leisha ~ Yeah. I like your idea of adding the pecans! I made them tonight, but instead of layering them I just mixed the coco and peanut butter together using the blender. Didn't have any coconut oil, so instead added a bit more butter and some heavy cream. Chilled them for 1/2 an hour. They turned out good. They definately stop those nasty cravings!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #226
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisha View Post
Leisha ~ Yeah. I like your idea of adding the pecans! I made them tonight, but instead of layering them I just mixed the coco and peanut butter together using the blender. Didn't have any coconut oil, so instead added a bit more butter and some heavy cream. Chilled them for 1/2 an hour. They turned out good. They definately stop those nasty cravings!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #227
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbok View Post
For me today I am up .8 not sure why so I will transition off the egg fast as it really didn't do much so I will go back to the Keto eating and keep track of the calories, carbs, fats, protein.

The 3 days of egg fast I lost a total of .6 pounds so for me it wasn't really worth not eating anything else besides eggs, cheese and butter. The .6 is still good as I was stuck for such a long time at the same weight or losing a bit but gaining more back.
Jabbok ~ Okay. Did you eat anything using salt? That could cause some water retention. I suggest going back on keto. Do you do any exercise? I go to the gym at the rec center 3 X a week. I think it is paying off now, ''cause I just measured myself this morning, and found out I have lost an inch around my middle, and chest areas. That counts as a NSV, (non-scale victory). I did wi this morning and am down 1 pound from the 2 lbs I had gained prior. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Star123; 03-06-2018 at 09:14 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #228
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jshaf ~ congrats on losing 8lbs! Did eliminating the sugar substitutes help?

Oh... you'really such an inspiration! One hundred and four pounds is a huge, huge loss! WTG!!

Last edited by Star123; 03-06-2018 at 09:18 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #229
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Good for you!!!
Shirlc ~ just wanted to know how you're doing.

You'll have a good sleep tonight!

Old 03-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #230
shirlc
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Shirlc ~ just wanted to know how you're doing.

You'll have a good sleep tonight!
Doing pretty well, Tammy, thanks. Intermittent fasting continues to work amazingly!

About the sleep thing ... you must be referring to the stress I posted about on another thread. Right now I'm dealing with some awful stuff ... totally blindsided by son's marital problems. Sleep is getting better with mindfulness meditation.

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Oliver Goldsmith
Old 03-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #231
anelson
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anelson
Stats: 272/241/170
WOE: Keto
Start Date: Restart Feb 6, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I got back from vacation on Monday and I'm caught up with all the after vacation accumulated tasks.

I missed one official weigh in Tuesday, so from yesterday 11lbs lost over the two week period. I have started 16/8 IF this week.

I hope every one is well. Kudos to Jshaf for his amazing loss. Everyone take care.

Allan
Old 03-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #232
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

everyone have a good Keto day.

Tammy I don't put salt on anything and I have been drinking lots of water so I am going to ride it out and get back on Keto. I am going to add more chicken to my meals like thighs and legs this way I will have a bit more fat in my meals.

I am going to start Yoga this week to ease back into some exercise then will start doing some weights again hoping to lose inches even if the scale isn't moving.

Tammy wtg on the non scale victory!

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #233
midlife99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: midlife99
Stats: 151/130/118 5'5"
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Feb 2018
Hello

I have been following a ketogenic diet for 13 days and have lost 3 pounds so far. I think I take in too much heavy creamer as I like to mix it in with my diet root beer. That may be why I have been stuck at the same weight for 4 days. On a positive note, I never go hungry like with low calorie diets. I am always satisfied. I have also added in the gym and, hopefully, that will help the scale go down some. Good luck to all of you
midlife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #234
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PurpleFuzzies
WOE: Low carb
Quote:
That's amazing! Congrats!

How much total weight did you have to lose? What methods are you using? I'd love to hear what you're eating and doing, since the one thing I've found with these lifestyles is that each person has to tweak and see what works for them.
PurpleFuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #235
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PurpleFuzzies
WOE: Low carb
Can we talk about constipation? All the things I can think of to eat to combat this are off the table.

What are some good methods for dealing with this problem? I can't go 3 days between poops.
I've been trying to remember my magnesium every night before bed but that doesn't always cut it. I am trying to watch my cheese intake but some days it's my go-to as I'm running out the door.
PurpleFuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #236
shirlc
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFuzzies View Post
Can we talk about constipation? All the things I can think of to eat to combat this are off the table.

What are some good methods for dealing with this problem? I can't go 3 days between poops.
I've been trying to remember my magnesium every night before bed but that doesn't always cut it. I am trying to watch my cheese intake but some days it's my go-to as I'm running out the door.
I am following Dr. Eric Berg. He has lots of YouTube videos. I'm not sure which video I watched, but I was diagnosed with acid reflux/GERD last October. I followed his advice and am taking a liquid probiotic and his Gall Bladder Formula, plus drinking apple cider vinegar and taking apple cider vinegar supplements. The main thing that has really helped my digestion is the Gall Bladder Formula. And, yes, this has everything to do with constipation or at least it has for me. Plus it has helped the acid reflux tremendously.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #237
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I am following Dr. Eric Berg. He has lots of YouTube videos. I'm not sure which video I watched, but I was diagnosed with acid reflux/GERD last October. I followed his advice and am taking a liquid probiotic and his Gall Bladder Formula, plus drinking apple cider vinegar and taking apple cider vinegar supplements. The main thing that has really helped my digestion is the Gall Bladder Formula. And, yes, this has everything to do with constipation or at least it has for me. Plus it has helped the acid reflux tremendously.
I do alot of what Dr Berg suggests, the amount of veggies being the exception, I take some veggies with every meal but no where near what he suggests. I take a Apple cider vinegar supplement and try to have some sour kraut mid week to help with gut health.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #238
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFuzzies View Post
That's amazing! Congrats!

How much total weight did you have to lose? What methods are you using? I'd love to hear what you're eating and doing, since the one thing I've found with these lifestyles is that each person has to tweak and see what works for them.
started at over 450 so have a lot to loss, want to get to the low 200's and if I feel like it might go for 180. don't know where I will land but anything beats where I started. already feel great and can see myself eating this way for a long long time. will never look at the standard american diet the same way!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #239
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Jshaf ~ congrats on losing 8lbs! Did eliminating the sugar substitutes help?

Oh... you'really such an inspiration! One hundred and four pounds is a huge, huge loss! WTG!!
thanks, when my weight loss slowed I looked in the mirror and knew while i had lost a lot I still am a big guy with plenty more to loss. made adjustments and back in the saddle I am. this is not only a commitment to myself but also to my late father. I wished I had been healthier when he was alive so I could have done more with and for him. made a commitment to him that I was not going to live like I had been living for the rest of my life. I wanted my healthy life back. each time I come to the half way point of my walk on the local trail I set by the water fall and say to the heavens "Dad I am back, living my commitment, not going to let you down" this means a lot to me, and I can in no way fail this time around.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #240
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
thanks, when my weight loss slowed I looked in the mirror and knew while i had lost a lot I still am a big guy with plenty more to loss. made adjustments and back in the saddle I am. this is not only a commitment to myself but also to my late father. I wished I had been healthier when he was alive so I could have done more with and for him. made a commitment to him that I was not going to live like I had been living for the rest of my life. I wanted my healthy life back. each time I come to the half way point of my walk on the local trail I set by the water fall and say to the heavens "Dad I am back, living my commitment, not going to let you down" this means a lot to me, and I can in no way fail this time around.
jshaf ~ Wonderful news! I just love hearing testimonies like yours. So inspiring!! Your dad would be so proud of you. Commitment is such a good thing to do. It is helping you focus and reflect on what is truly important to you. You are on your way bud! KWTGW!!