Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #271
laceylady
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(215)/size 16 (195)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: Low Carb -- again... and again...
Start Date: February 2015 (and a few other times!
Thanks, Cathy -- it truly does get very confusing for me. I've always thought that the fewer carbs the better... and calories shouldn't matter as long as they weren't LOTS of 'em. Then I start READING, and various sites say you NEED so much of this and that, and to use a food tracker, yadda yadda yadda. I only weigh once a week, so the scales don't rule me again. (I used to be obsessive, weigh numerous times a day, etc.) I know I'm not over-eating, and trying to incorporate more fat than anything else. I'm not overly frustrated -- yet -- and will continue with the process. I hope in 5 weeks I should be at a good place, both on the scale and mentally! Thanks for all of the encouragement!!
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #272
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Star123
Stats: 208/177/128, 5'5" med frame
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: Restart 1/1/2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Welcome Laceylady. I know that it can be difficult to actually see lbs. go but a 12 lbs. loss in the beginning is pretty amazing. Average it out and you are losing at a very reasonable rate.

I would agree that you may be consuming too much protein. Remember that the definition of keto is low carb (20g or less of total carbs), moderate protein (for you, something like 60g) and fill in the rest with fat. That means that fat will be the thing you consume to feel satisfied. Do not rely on calorie counting. That is a sure fire way to confusion and may cause failure.

Using a food tracker is helpful in the beginning or periodically after you learn and understand what it is you are consuming but over time you will learn what foods work well and what don't.

I would also encourage you to put some focus on how you feel and not so much focus on the scale. Keto will give you extra energy (hiking should be much more enjoyable) and your metal clarity, sleep and inflammation will all improve.
clarkley!
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
Philippians 4:13

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ez...mVe/weight.png
Star123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #273
laceylady
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(215)/size 16 (195)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: Low Carb -- again... and again...
Start Date: February 2015 (and a few other times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
I am frustrated tonight... been tracking my macros writing everything online. Today I hit carbs right on, but was under on everything else. Tried to do my daily round-up and it said it appeared I wasn't eating enough. OK, so I find some cheese and meat sticks, up the calories and fat and protein, and then it recalculates to tell me at the rate I ate today, I'll put on another half pound from yesterday's amount in 5 weeks. Make up your mind, machine!! Either I don't eat enough, or I eat what you tell me to, and will put on 1/2 a pound from yesterday's estimation!! I realize everything is a guess... the quantities I put in, the amounts of nutrition, and everything else. Yeah, tomorrow is another day, and my entries will make things change again -- and tomorrow is a 50th anniversary celebration with champagne, dinner, cupcakes(!), so... maybe Sunday... oh, wait -- it's our anniversary... OK, Monday. I hate when computers dictate what I need to do or not do, and then life sneaks in to twist things around some more.
Update on how I did at the 50th Anniversary celebration. Drank the glass of champagne -- had to, for toasts and things -- and it was really dry so the carb count was OK. For dinner I ordered Beef Medallions, which were really yummy, doubled-up on veggies and had them hold the garlic mashed potatoes, skipped the cupcake, so my worry about the party was avoidable. My daily macros came in pretty darned good!! Back to the machine telling me I'll be down another 1/2 pound in 5 weeks. I plan to beat that, tho!! Now to see what I can do for OUR anniversary lunch today!! A big, thick, juicy RibEye Steak smothered in, um, hmmmm. Have to wait on that!!
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #274
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
If you are patient you will get a whoosh any day now.
I've gone three weeks without loss while being on plan, but never four weeks.

I agree about reducing your protein a bit.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #275
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jabbok
Good morning ladies hope you had a good weekend and were able to shred some weight.

I was down 1 pound on Sunday and up .6 today, I had little protein on Sat. and lots of fat, yesterday was a bit more protein but lots of fat too. I will keep the protein lower under what I am allowed to have and make sure to keep the fat up.

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
jabbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #276
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
If you are patient you will get a whoosh any day now.
I've gone three weeks without loss while being on plan, but never four weeks.

I agree about reducing your protein a bit.
Patience ~ me too. It doesn't hurt to tweak your eating plan a bit.

Wow... this is the last day of winter. Tomorrow being the first day of spring!!

You'll have a great night!

Last edited by Star123; 03-19-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #277
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone hope you had a good Monday.

I am back up to where I was on Friday quite frustrating but I did have bacon last night which I haven't in quite awhile so I am hoping that if I drink lots of water today I will be back down.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #278
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PurpleFuzzies
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Feb 2018
Hi all! Thought I should check in.

I went on a 6 day ketosis break.I had severe constipation. As in, it took 6 days to clear it and I almost ended up getting medical intervention. Ack!

I'm a bit frustrated because it feels like a delicate balance (enough protein, tons of fats!) but I'm trying to not have my gallbladder go crazy, and some days it's really hard to get enough protein in. I can't eat many of the things that help with constipation. I was taking huge amounts of Trader Joe's prune juice (effective!) but has over 20 carbs per serving so now that I'm back in ketosis, that's not an option.

I'm taking a daily stool softener, magnesium every night, and am going to try and incorporate more veggies into my day. I usually have a big salad each day but that didn't seem to matter before. The other thing I'm going to add in is a big dollop of coconut oil in my morning coffee. That should help with my fat intake AND it's a natural stool softener so hopefully it's a win/win.

Any recs for a probiotic source that doensn't have carbs?
PurpleFuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #279
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFuzzies View Post
Hi all! Thought I should check in.

I went on a 6 day ketosis break.I had severe constipation. As in, it took 6 days to clear it and I almost ended up getting medical intervention. Ack!

I'm a bit frustrated because it feels like a delicate balance (enough protein, tons of fats!) but I'm trying to not have my gallbladder go crazy, and some days it's really hard to get enough protein in. I can't eat many of the things that help with constipation. I was taking huge amounts of Trader Joe's prune juice (effective!) but has over 20 carbs per serving so now that I'm back in ketosis, that's not an option.

I'm taking a daily stool softener, magnesium every night, and am going to try and incorporate more veggies into my day. I usually have a big salad each day but that didn't seem to matter before. The other thing I'm going to add in is a big dollop of coconut oil in my morning coffee. That should help with my fat intake AND it's a natural stool softener so hopefully it's a win/win.

Any recs for a probiotic source that doensn't have carbs?
That's really too bad about that I do hope you can find something to take that is carb friendly.

What kind of veggies are you eating?

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #280
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone hope you had a good day yesterday and have some weightloss this morning.

I stayed the same from yesterday so still up the .6 from my low on Sunday.

I had bullet proof coffee for breakfast this morning, if this keeps me full for the morning I will continue to have it and hope it breaks the stall.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #281
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbok View Post
That's really too bad about that I do hope you can find something to take that is carb friendly.

What kind of veggies are you eating?
I use romaine for salads so that's my primary veggie on a daily basis.
This week my additional veggies are asparagus, broccoli, and zucchini squash
I am not having tomatoes this week. Have any suggestions?

Oh, and I also got some sauerkraut from TJs. It's a good fermented food. In the past, I usually try and eat a spoonful a day for gut health.

When eating whole foods, is it ok to count net carbs vs total carbs? I usually try and do total carbs only but a lot of what I read says when it comes to veggies and such, net carbs should be ok.

Oh, and I'm having coffee with coconut oil in it this morning. Delicious! Fingers crossed for my gallbladder and yay for the extra fat (I struggle to hit my fat goals)

Last edited by PurpleFuzzies; 03-21-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #282
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I use romaine for salads so that's my primary veggie on a daily basis.
This week my additional veggies are asparagus, broccoli, and zucchini squash
I am not having tomatoes this week. Have any suggestions?

Oh, and I also got some sauerkraut from TJs. It's a good fermented food. In the past, I usually try and eat a spoonful a day for gut health.

When eating whole foods, is it ok to count net carbs vs total carbs? I usually try and do total carbs only but a lot of what I read says when it comes to veggies and such, net carbs should be ok.

Oh, and I'm having coffee with coconut oil in it this morning. Delicious! Fingers crossed for my gallbladder and yay for the extra fat (I struggle to hit my fat goals)
I don't like a lot of veggies but my go to are cauliflower, tomatoes (which I cut out too many carbs), mushrooms sometimes I have asparagus just need to figure out how to cook it without being mushy.

I had the bullet proof coffee this morning - MCT coconut oil, butter, cream all blended up very tasty, I am going to have this for breakfast as long as I can last until lunch time.

I started to add cream cheese muffins to get my fat intake up they are really good, I make mine with sugar free jello instead of any sweetener.

I subtract my fiber from my carbs but I am sure I only eat about 15 carbs per day and that comes from any cheese I eat.

I hope your gallbladder tolerates the coconut oil so you can get your fats in.

I don't think I ever had sauerkraut maybe I should try it as I know that you need to do something to gut health.

Keto Feb. 12 2018

Last edited by jabbok; 03-21-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #283
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

I found some probiotic drops on Amazon. They contain stevia instead of sugar.
They seem well rated but I thought I'd wait to see what is suggested here before I order them.
I'm a big fan of probiotics/fermented stuff. I can't drink kombucha or kefir anymore so alternatives are needed!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #284
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Oh and I sauteed two batches of asparagus today. I threw a big blob of Kerrygold butter (yay fat) into a pan and then when they were almost done I tossed some of the Trader Joe's garlic salt mixture into it. Mine didn't get mushy at all. I kept the heat at medium-high.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #285
shirlc
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/129/128-5'4 1/2"
WOE: IF 16/8 started 10/1/17
Start Date: LCF - March, 2006
Quote:
I found some probiotic drops on Amazon. They contain stevia instead of sugar.
They seem well rated but I thought I'd wait to see what is suggested here before I order them.
I'm a big fan of probiotics/fermented stuff. I can't drink kombucha or kefir anymore so alternatives are needed!
I have one that I ordered called PRO EM-1. It has great reviews!

Oops, I see you can't drink kombacha or kefir so maybe this wouldn't work either. I take it by the tablespoon and it tastes kind of like sauerkraut juice.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Oliver Goldsmith

Last edited by shirlc; 03-21-2018 at 11:29 AM..
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #286
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I have one that I ordered called PRO EM-1. It has great reviews!

Oops, I see you can't drink kombacha or kefir so maybe this wouldn't work either. I take it by the tablespoon and it tastes kind of like sauerkraut juice.
I love both but the carb count makes it not worthwhile.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #287
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jshaf
Stats: 450/298/180
WOE: Keto combined with OMAD and extended fasting
Start Date: October 8th 2017
took the week end off from longer fasting to let my body rest a little, weighed myself today just out of whim and voila, lost a lb. down 110. will do a 72 hour fast this week end, feel good
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #288
shirlc
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/129/128-5'4 1/2"
WOE: IF 16/8 started 10/1/17
Start Date: LCF - March, 2006
Quote:
I love both but the carb count makes it not worthwhile.
The PRO EM-1 is a supplement that was recommended by Dr. Berg's staff and has no carbs.

Do you actually like the taste of kombucha and kefir? I've been hesitant to try them.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Oliver Goldsmith

Last edited by shirlc; 03-22-2018 at 06:23 AM..
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #289
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
took the week end off from longer fasting to let my body rest a little, weighed myself today just out of whim and voila, lost a lb. down 110. will do a 72 hour fast this week end, feel good
Congrats Jim! I lost a lb... but went on an outing with family and friends. We ate at a greek restaurant and I had the smourgebourg... but wi this morning aI gained it back. Was expecting that to happen anyway, after eating a big meal. It will come off this week now that I'm back op.

You'll have a wonderful day!

Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #290
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello everyone hope you are having a great day.

I stayed the same so still up .6 from the lowest I was on Sunday, not sure what else to do to shake things up but still plugging away don't want to give up now.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #291
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I'd love to hear more about your eating schedules. How often and how long do you fast for?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #292
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
The PRO EM-1 is a supplement that was recommended by Dr. Berg's staff and has no carbs.

Do you actually like the taste of kombucha and kefir? I've been hesitant to try them.
Certain flavors, yes!

I I drink Kefir it's not the plain flavor. The fruit ones are high carbs. I checked the other day and kombucha has 8 carbs a serving for the one I usually drink. I guess I could just take a few sips a day, but I'd rather just take a probiotic and have no carbs from it.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #293
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

I don't want to gross anyone out or seem nasty but I wanted to share this for anyone else who has struggled with constipation while eating this way.

I put a rather large scoop of coconut oil in my coffee yesterday morning. Let's just say that it's extremely effective. I'm going to be adding that in every day. I like the flavor and need the fat so it is a win/win.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #294
PurpleFuzzies
Junior LCF Member

One other thing. We are leaving next week on vacation. I need any suggestions for eating out. I know I can eat cheeseburgers and just remove the bun and no ketchup.

Other ideas? I know it's going to be challenging and I don't want to go off program if at all possible.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #295
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't want to gross anyone out or seem nasty but I wanted to share this for anyone else who has struggled with constipation while eating this way.

I put a rather large scoop of coconut oil in my coffee yesterday morning. Let's just say that it's extremely effective. I'm going to be adding that in every day. I like the flavor and need the fat so it is a win/win.
PurpleFuzzies ~ I was struggling with constipation when I first started keto. Put coconut oil in my coffee too, and it helped. Then I stopped using it. I think that was a mistake. Been drinking ACV drink early in the morning before breakfast and before bedtime. Hoping it will help with weightloss!

ACV Drink Mixture

2 Tbsp ACV (Apple Cider Vinager with the mother)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey (optional)
1 cup boiled water (filtered)
1 mason jar
1 spoon

Method:
Boil water in a kettle or on stovetop. Pour boiled water into mason jar with spoon standing in it to frevent breakage. Add ACV, lemon juice, cinnamon, honey (optional). Stir until mixed. Cayenne pepper will fall to bottom. Let stand on counter and cool completely. Store in fridge. Morning: drink 1/2 of mixture. Bedtime: drink remaining 1/2 of mixture.

Last edited by Star123; 03-22-2018 at 07:03 PM..
Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #296
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
One other thing. We are leaving next week on vacation. I need any suggestions for eating out. I know I can eat cheeseburgers and just remove the bun and no ketchup.

Other ideas? I know it's going to be challenging and I don't want to go off program if at all possible.
You can always have chicken which is grilled no breading, probably any kind of fish, salad with chicken added, eggs just make sure they are premade as they usually have pancake batter added in but if you could have fried, poached eggs then you know they are real eggs. Steamed veggies, bacon, luncheon meats but you would need to be careful with that as they may have hidden sugars.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
Old 03-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #297
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star123 View Post
PurpleFuzzies ~ I was struggling with constipation when I first started keto. Put coconut oil in my coffee too, and it helped. Then I stopped using it. I think that was a mistake. Been drinking ACV drink early in the morning before breakfast and before bedtime. Hoping it will help with weightloss!
ACV Drink Mixture

2 Tbsp ACV (Apple Cider Vinager with the mother)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
A dash of cayenne pepper (optional)**
1 tsp honey (optional)
1 cup boiled water (filtered)
1 mason jar
1 spoon

Method:
Boil water in a kettle or on stovetop. Pour boiled water into mason jar with spoon standing in it to frevent breakage. Add ACV, lemon juice, cinnamon, honey (optional). Stir until mixed. Cayenne pepper will fall to bottom. Let stand on counter and cool completely. Store in fridge. Morning: drink 1/2 of mixture. Bedtime: drink remaining 1/2 of mixture.

Note: Addng the cayenne pepper is optional!**

Last edited by Star123; 03-22-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Old 03-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #298
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbok View Post
You can always have chicken which is grilled no breading, probably any kind of fish, salad with chicken added, eggs just make sure they are premade as they usually have pancake batter added in but if you could have fried, poached eggs then you know they are real eggs. Steamed veggies, bacon, luncheon meats but you would need to be careful with that as they may have hidden sugars.
Jabbok ~ I like your suggestions!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #299
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jshaf
Stats: 450/298/180
WOE: Keto combined with OMAD and extended fasting
Start Date: October 8th 2017
Quote:
I'd love to hear more about your eating schedules. How often and how long do you fast for?
I vary it a bit so I don't fall in a "rut" but most week ends I do 48 or 72 hour fasts, water only with some pink Himalayan salt. will sometimes do a mid week 48 hour fast. a lot of it depends on how my body feels. when I start feeling a little run down or achy I will take a couple days off from extended fasts. days I do eat I do one meal a day in a very short eating window, usually 30-60 minutes at the most. eat pretty strict keto when I do eat and it is usually no more than 2000 calories, and 20 or less carbs. also walk a ton. get 10K steps in daily at a minimum. and days I feel energetic like today I will knock out 30K (31 today). like to walk as much as possible when in a fasted state, think it really helps melt the weight off!

Last edited by jshaf; 03-22-2018 at 07:46 PM..
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #300
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I vary it a bit so I don't fall in a "rut" but most week ends I do 48 or 72 hour fasts, water only with some pink Himalayan salt. will sometimes do a mid week 48 hour fast. a lot of it depends on how my body feels. when I start feeling a little run down or achy I will take a couple days off from extended fasts. days I do eat I do one meal a day in a very short eating window, usually 30-60 minutes at the most. eat pretty strict keto when I do eat and it is usually no more than 2000 calories, and 20 or less carbs. also walk a ton. get 10K steps in daily at a minimum. and days I feel energetic like today I will knock out 30K (31 today). like to walk as much as possible when in a fasted state, think it really helps melt the weight off!
Happy Friday! TGIF!!

Jim ~ You're such an inspiration to this group! The fasts sound pretty amazing! I do 2 meals a day and usually fast through the day from breakfast to supper. Occasionally I will snack on raw almonds around 3 o'clock in the afternoon.Working out 3x a week. Yesterday I got my blood test results back . The doctor said my sugar is a bit high, but my thyroid was quite low, meaning my metabolism has been super slow! So now I know why I was sugglish. Trying to figure out what made my sugar glucose go up? I'm prediabetic! Not quite a true diabetic... still don't really know what that means? I guess, because the gluclose isn't in that range. Thankgoodness! I don't manage it with pills, but through diet only. She said I should up my workout to 4-5x a week. Told her that I probably could up it to 4x include Saturday mornings. Then she said 3x week was fine. Just realized now that I could make the other days walk days! That would make 5x week.

You'll have a wonderful friday and weekend!
This weekend being the first weekend of spring.

Last edited by Star123; 03-23-2018 at 08:29 AM..