Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
sab
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sab
What does Keto Maintenance Look Like???

So.... 1st post here... looking for insights. I started Keto woe @ the 1st of May 2017 -- I was pre-diabetic and I said there was no way I was going down that road. Since then, I have lost 45Lbs and my A1C is now in normal range. Having old brain (67yrs), I am anxious to keep the ketones alive and well in my system -- to ward off the obvious fast approaching years of dementia and short term memory loss. Since going Keto my memory is better than I remember it being in a long time. (I think there's a pun in that sentence somewhere).

So... now I don't want to loose more weight. I still eat keto. I know I was in ketosis when I was losing weight - I did the pee strips and they showed deep ketosis. Now, not seeing it. I bought a keto blood meter to check. Only showing a slight keto reading. Only real thing that's different is that I don't regularly do Intermittent Fasting. Maybe 3-4 days a week I will eat 3 meals instead of 2. So what gives? Anyone have any insights?

I feel I have fallen into a low carb routine instead of a keto routine and I don't know how the heck that even happened. I haven't purposely added carbs. Also know that I always did do lazy keto. Worked great -- and I hate the thought of counting macros and watching an app. Surely that is not necessary as I have been successful at this keto thing. It's like I'm lost now that I consider myself maintenance.... like once the weight came off, the body stopped with the ketones. I'm 130# by the way. Don't want more to come off.

Thanks for any thoughts!
sab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hi Sab. I wonder what kinds of readings you are getting from your blood meter?

I have been in 'unintended' keto maintenance for years now. I do test blood ketones occasionally. I stay between .08 and 1.6. I am sure that I am keto all the time.

I have totally restricted any grains, most sugar and starch and don't go off plan very often (maybe a bite on superbowl day or on vacation). I never go totally off. If I have done that, I fast for 24 hours.

I also do one meal a day here and there ~ about once every 10 days.

I love eating keto because it makes me feel great and has resolved so many health issues I was experiencing. Happily, I also love my keto food.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
sab
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sab
Thanks for your response Cathy!

My highest reading on the blood meter is .7

I just noticed there is a maintenance forum.... dah.... I should probably move there.

I guess I am confused as to how one 'knows' they are in ketosis.... yes, I feel great; yes, my memory is much much improved; yes, I stay in that almost, but not, state of constipation; yes, my weight does not bounce around; yes, I sleep well and dream vividly; Yes, in my lazy keto way, I stay below 20 and certainly below 30 carbs/daily; sooooo what else.... That's it? The blood test meter is useless?

I'm reading a book - Keto Zone Diet -- and although I haven't finished it yet, what I take away from it, is that there is a personal ceiling for carb tolerance. That one has to find that ceiling in order to not break out of ketosis. So.... my question is -- how to you find that ceiling, if you don't have a way to measure? The answer might be in the book. Unfortunately, I loaned it out and can't browse it to see. I figured experienced keto-ers will know.

Thanks again for responding!
Sally
sab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
senseandsarcasm
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: senseandsarcasm
Ketosticks don't really tell the whole story. They just indicate if you are producing so many excess ketones that they spill into your urine. You could be nutritional ketosis and not be showing much on the sticks, especially if you've been on the diet a while. When you've reached your goal weight and have adjusted to the diet, there may not be much showing. Any ketones showing means you're in ketosis for sure.

And of course, if you stay super well hydrated the "concentration" of ketones in your urine will be lower.

I'd say if you feel great like you do on ketosis, you're holding steady weight, etc.... you're fine.
senseandsarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
I failed at maintenance, so here I go again.
Next time I will strive to be more vigilant.
I learned that I could not go back to old ways of eating.
While not really thinking I could, I ate as if I could.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
jabbok
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jabbok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I failed at maintenance, so here I go again.
Next time I will strive to be more vigilant.
I learned that I could not go back to old ways of eating.
While not really thinking I could, I ate as if I could.
I know you will succeed you have the experience on your side, good luck on your journey.

Keto Feb. 12 2018
jabbok is online now   Reply With Quote