Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Would like info re: Gluten-Free

So, I've heard people say gluten-free eating is healthy.

However, I really don't know what exactly that means or if it's doable or necessary or would be helpful for me.

Any ideas? Info? Insight? I was very recently diagnosed hypo-thyroid and am on a synthetic treatment. Levothyroxine.

Just throwing this out there about the gluten/thyroid possible connection.

Opinions anyone? Recommended reading? Advice on how one gets started if one wants to become gluten-free??

I'm so afraid of more and more restrictions about what I can eat and when. Blah. But I'm willing to give it a serious try if I can figure out fairly easily what it is and how to get started!!! TIA for any info!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 10-25-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Try reading Grain Brain by David Perlmutter. Gluten is bad in a lot of ways for a lot of reasons.

If you are already low carbing, you are almost there. If not, start by cutting out (or replacing) the big stuff- bread, pasta, baked goods, crackers.

I didn't think I had any food sensitivities, until I heard a friend talking about her gluten symptoms. I figured I would give it a try, and all kinds of things that I would have never had imagined were related to anything I was eating, improved.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Hi

Wheat Belly is also a great read. He is coming out with a 10 Day Detox book in November.

The Grain Brain book and Wheat Belly suggest avoiding all grains, not just wheat. Grains are not supposed to be good for the thyroid either.

It's all difficult, though. Wheat is in EVERYTHING!
Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 AM   #4
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
I've also heard/been reading about needing to make sure we eat cooked veggies as opposed to raw. Raw blocks the ability to absorb iodine.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #5
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/137/130# 5'6" 60yrs
WOE: LC+IF
Start Date: Jan 2018 Stillman’s plus IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I've also heard/been reading about needing to make sure we eat cooked veggies as opposed to raw. Raw blocks the ability to absorb iodine.
'Nilla, I've read that about raw cruciferous veggies, but have you heard it might also be an issue with other veggies? I love salad. I wouldn't want to have to give that up!
JUDDD settling point with restricted UDs = ?? failed
Low weight on intermittent water fasting with low carb = 138, still trying

Beowulf's Journey
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=875478
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

My thyroid doctor says the vegetables don't really matter, unless you are eating plate after plate of raw broccoli.

They also say fluoride blocks the ability to absorb iodine. It attaches to the same receptor somewhere. That may be something to investigate if you have fluoridated water.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #7
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/159.2/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
I have a berkey with a flouride filter , they are very afffordable compared to reverse osmosis , which takes all the minerals out but leaves the flouride. Also they are portable which is great!
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everyone! Wow, there is a lot of good recommendations and ideas here.

I bought my first gluten-free item yesterday. A bag of gluten-free pretzels. The picture on the bag looked appetizing! When I opened it the pretzels even looked nice. But YUCK!!! They taste awful. They were expensive. I'm gonna keep them sitting out on the counter for a few days and see if I can try them again.

My DIL tried to go gluten-free a few years ago. I didn't pay much attention because her health fads come and go. But I remember her saying most of the gluten free products like crackers and breads taste terrible. She had to do a lot of trial and error to find things that could work for her and her kids. She's not doing it any more.

OK, I better read Wheat Belly and Grain Brain.

But not today. I get to take my adorable 16 year old grand daughter clothes shopping. Should be fun! I'm off to fight the city traffic!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

Old 10-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

You'd be better off not buying gluten free foods, they aren't any healthier than your regular pretzels they just don't contain gluten. Gratify brand gluten free pretzels are what my kids like, also Aldi's brand is pretty good. I think you be better off just eating whole foods, meat, dairy , fruit and veggies and eliminate grains and you'll notice you'll feel a lot better
Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Here is how to make GF items taste good: Stop eating the regular stuff for several months to 2 years, then try a GF replacement. That's how I did it.

You get to know what is worth it and what isn't. Udis GF bread is decent, but their hamburger and hot dog buns aren't. All GF bread is better toasted.

There is a brand of GF pancake mix that my family likes better than regular. They sell it at my Target, but I can't remember the brand name. I can check if you would like a pancake replacement.

Snyder's pretzels are the best. Not quite real, but gluten-eaters have told me they can't really tell the difference.

Krusteaz makes the BEST GF brownies. People like them more than regular brownies. The key to making them extra good is using walnut oil (that is true of any brownie).

GF pasta has to be cooked very carefully. It goes from raw to rubbery in no time so you have to watch it carefully. Most of it is more delicate that regular, so pick a shape that will hold up. The brand with quinoa in it (green box) is pretty decent. If you are a plain pasta and butter lover, don't bother. Cover it in meat sauce or cheese.

I don't eat of these things regularly since they are all starchy and high carb, even if they are GF. But is is nice to have options.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
adillenal
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlo1125 View Post
You'd be better off not buying gluten free foods, they aren't any healthier than your regular pretzels they just don't contain gluten. Gratify brand gluten free pretzels are what my kids like, also Aldi's brand is pretty good. I think you be better off just eating whole foods, meat, dairy , fruit and veggies and eliminate grains and you'll notice you'll feel a lot better
I agree with eating whole foods. Replacing gluten with a bunch of processed junk is not any better for you in my opinion. Since I got back on the whole real food band wagon, I feel great. Losing a pound a month is slow going but I am loving the energy and general feeling great everyday. Just can't beat real food.
That said, we are able to raise our own beef and pork and I feel that helps also.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
169/161/139 JUDDD 08/01/2015
174/159/139 JUDDD 09/17/2017
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sounds like great advice. I really don't eat a lot of breads or grains. Does oat bran have gluten in it? Pretzels is one of my occasional guilty pleasures. I eat pretzels about once a month or sometimes only once in every two months. But if I'm craving them, I WANT them. lol. The other thing I love is Orowheat Double Fiber English Muffins. So, I think I can gradually give those things up. I need to find a list of things that don't have gluten. Like I was just wondering about popcorn. The only time I eat it is if my husband gets some at the movie theater. I'll have two or three small hands full, and that's plenty satisfying for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Here is how to make GF items taste good: Stop eating the regular stuff for several months to 2 years, then try a GF replacement. That's how I did it. :laugh:

You get to know what is worth it and what isn't. Udis GF bread is decent, but their hamburger and hot dog buns aren't. All GF bread is better toasted.

There is a brand of GF pancake mix that my family likes better than regular. They sell it at my Target, but I can't remember the brand name. I can check if you would like a pancake replacement.

Snyder's pretzels are the best. Not quite real, but gluten-eaters have told me they can't really tell the difference.

Krusteaz makes the BEST GF brownies. People like them more than regular brownies. The key to making them extra good is using walnut oil (that is true of any brownie).

GF pasta has to be cooked very carefully. It goes from raw to rubbery in no time so you have to watch it carefully. Most of it is more delicate that regular, so pick a shape that will hold up. The brand with quinoa in it (green box) is pretty decent. If you are a plain pasta and butter lover, don't bother. Cover it in meat sauce or cheese.

I don't eat of these things regularly since they are all starchy and high carb, even if they are GF. But is is nice to have options.
Now that sounds like a plan! And, I have to go back to that. Is it worth it? Regarding pancakes: I use Dukan's pancake recipe. All it contains is oat bran, fat free greek yogurt and egg whites. They taste really good and are packed with protein. Now to find out if oat bran has gluten...

"The arrangement of the amino acids in the proteins from oats is intermediate between those of gluten and the proteins of rice and corn. The most recent studies suggest that oats do not promote inflammation in patients with celiac disease or that only large quantities of oats can do so. One concern with oat flour (and possibly oat bran) is that there may be contamination with wheat, rye, or barley during the process of milling."

Just found that on webmd so for sure the amount of oat bran I use in a serving of Dukan pancakes is very small and I think that's safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I agree with eating whole foods. Replacing gluten with a bunch of processed junk is not any better for you in my opinion. Since I got back on the whole real food band wagon, I feel great. Losing a pound a month is slow going but I am loving the energy and general feeling great everyday. Just can't beat real food.
That said, we are able to raise our own beef and pork and I feel that helps also.
Hi Adi. I agree. Now if I can follow through and do it all the time. So glad you are feeling great and that certainly is an inspiration for me to continue to stick to healthy whole foods.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

I think you can find gluten free oats so maybe you can find oat bran too. Corn is gluten free too so you can still have pop corn and corn tortilla's and the like. I still think grain free is what will make you feel best though I from time to time will still have rice or popcorn on occasion .Unfortunately if you are going gluten free because of celiacs or auto immune it's not supposed to be done gradually, it's cold turkey. One bite of gluten containing food can last in your system for months apparently! Chris kesser explains it well:

Quote:
wheat
This article is part of a special report on Thyroid Disorders. To see the other articles in this series, click here.

In the first article in this series, I showed that hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease in 90% of cases. In this article we’re going to discuss the connection between autoimmune thyroid disease (AITD) and gluten intolerance.

Several studies show a strong link between AITD (both Hashimoto’s and Graves’) and gluten intolerance. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] The link is so well-established that researchers suggest all people with AITD be screened for gluten intolerance, and vice versa.

What explains the connection? It’s a case of mistaken identity. The molecular structure of gliadin, the protein portion of gluten, closely resembles that of the thyroid gland. When gliadin breaches the protective barrier of the gut, and enters the bloodstream, the immune system tags it for destruction. These antibodies to gliadin also cause the body to attack thyroid tissue. This means if you have AITD and you eat foods containing gluten, your immune system will attack your thyroid.

Even worse, the immune response to gluten can last up to 6 months each time you eat it. This explains why it is critical to eliminate gluten completely from your diet if you have AITD. There’s no “80/20” rule when it comes to gluten. Being “mostly” gluten-free isn’t going to cut it. If you’re gluten intolerant, you have to be 100% gluten-free to prevent immune destruction of your thyroid.

So how do you find out if you’re gluten intolerant? Unfortunately, standard lab tests aren’t very accurate. They test for antibodies to gluten in the bloodstream. But antibodies in the blood will only be found in cases where the gut has become so permeable that gluten can pass through. This is a relatively advanced stage of disease. Blood tests will miss the many milder cases of gluten intolerance that haven’t yet progressed to that stage.

Stool analysis is far more sensitive, because it detects antibodies produced in the digestive tract that aren’t yet escaping into the bloodstream. Using this method at Entero Lab, Dr. Kenneth Fine, a pioneer in the field, has found that up to 35% of Americans are gluten intolerant.

In addition to the stool analysis, Dr. Fine’s lab uses a cheek swab to test for the genes connected with gluten intolerance and celiac disease. People with HLA DQ genes are more likely than the general population to have autoimmune disease, celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Dr. Fine’s research shows that more than 80% of Americans have one of these gene types.

When I first read Dr. Fine’s research, I was astounded by the implications. It suggests that 1 in 3 Americans are gluten intolerant, and that 8 in 10 are genetically predisposed to gluten intolerance. This is nothing short of a public health catastrophe in a nation where the #1 source of calories is refined flour. But while most are at least aware of the dangers of sugar, trans-fat and other unhealthy foods, fewer than 1 in 8 people with celiac disease are aware of their condition. I would guess that an even lower proportion of people are aware they are gluten intolerant.

One reason gluten intolerance goes undetected in so many cases is that both doctors and patients mistakenly believe it only causes digestive problems. But gluten intolerance can also present with inflammation in the joints, skin, respiratory tract and brain – without any obvious gut symptoms.

As much improved as Dr. Fine’s methods are, they aren’t perfect. In some patients with autoimmune disease, their immune system is so worn out they can no longer produce many antibodies.

Hashmioto’s, the most common autoimmune thyroid condition, is primarily a Th1 dominant condition. I’ll explain what this means in further detail in a future article. For now, what you need to understand is that in Th1-dominant conditions, the Th2 system is suppressed. The Th2 system is the part of the immune system responsible for producing antibodies. When the Th2 system is severely depressed, the body’s ability to produce antibodies is impaired. The levels may be so low that they won’t show up on a test. So, even if you have gluten intolerance, your test for gluten antibodies may be falsely negative if you have Th1-dominant Hashimoto’s.

This is why I recommend that you avoid gluten if you have AITD, regardless of whether tests show an active antibody response. This is especially true if you have one of the genes (HLA DQ1,2, or 3) that predisposes you to developing gluten intolerance. In my opinion continuing to eat gluten when you have a confirmed autoimmune condition simply isn’t worth risking the immune destruction it could cause.

In fact, the more I learn about gluten and its effects on the body, the more I think we’d all probably be better off not eating it. Mark Sisson has written extensively about the dangers of gluten and gluten-containing grains, so head over there and have a look if this is new to you. The short version: foods that contain gluten (both whole grains and flours) contain substances that inhibit nutrient absorption, damage our intestinal lining, and – as I’ve described in this article – activate a potentially destructive autoimmune response. What’s more, there are no nutrients in gluten-containing foods that you can’t get more easily and efficiently from foods that don’t contain gluten.

The good news is that if you have AITD and are gluten intolerant removing gluten completely from your diet will dramatically improve your health. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

As I understand it, oats don't contain gluten but they're often cross contaminated in processing. I'm not that sensitive so I do fine with regular oats. You can find them that say they are gluten free.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jjsmama
Stats: 164/158/138
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 13, 2015 (JUDDD)
I enjoyed the book Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis.
I have been dx with rheumatoid arthritis which is autoimmune. Yes, there are a lot of theories that autoimmune starts in the gut. However there is a large contingent who does not believe this. So, worth trying, i thought, but

I DO think i have less RA flares when i am grain free. I also have less stomach upset. My 14 yr old has gone from chronic stomach pain and upset to almost none. We don't like many GF products. Very few are yummy and they are $$!

Generally, we just eat things that are already GF. That ends up looking a lot like low carb for me. My son still eats junk food; hershey bars, doritos, tortilla chips, cheerios, etc. he has adapted pretty well.
The only "GF" specialty food he likes is Udi's white sandwich bread. He probably wouldnt eat it except when taking lunch to high school without refrigerator or microwave, options are limited. I also buy a special pasta from Amaaon. I think it is made from corn and it is better than any other we tried (which we mostly yuck.) i substitute flour tortillas with corn ones from Whole Foods for tacos and fajitas.. Things like that make GF pretty pleasant ( when eating at Home and in control of your choices.)

Wife to 1+ Mom to 3= 4 Fabulous Fellows
Jjsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #16
Jjsmama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jjsmama
Stats: 164/158/138
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 13, 2015 (JUDDD)
Quote:
.Unfortunately if you are going gluten free because of celiacs or auto immune it's not supposed to be done gradually, it's cold turkey. One bite of gluten containing food can last in your system for months apparently! Chris kesser explains it well:
Agreed. I wanted to say something about this too. Because DS nor I is celiac, but rather gluten sensitive, i admit that i do Not look for trace gluten in things like hot sauce or catsup, etc and we are fine. I have friends who have to go to that extent though.

My theory for DS and I is that our guts were just chronically inflamed due to IBS and some combination of poisons, toxins due to living 7 years in China. Other things could cause the inflammation for other people, but chronically inflamed guts cannot settle down and heal. I theorize and hope that the months spent GF has allowed our guts to heal, so that they are not so sensitive anymore. As evidence: since being GF, my son rarely has stomach issues anymore (which were daily before) he can tolerate dairy now, which he couldnt before, and he can tolerate a once monthly or so full Hamburger bun without issues. Both our stomach issues cleared up within days of going GF. for years DS thought he was lactose intolerant, had to avoid dairy and was still sick a LOT. Since going Gf, he has milk, cheese and yogurt every day with no ill effects... We did wait a month or so to introduce these.

Wife to 1+ Mom to 3= 4 Fabulous Fellows

Last edited by Jjsmama; 11-01-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Jjsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #17
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will eventually read Wheat Belly. Right now I'm reading a book about PH and Alkaline/Acid balance. Interesting there is mention of watching for gluten as well.