Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Sophia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sophia
Stats: 230+/230+/135 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb-Ketosis restart
Start Date: August 24, 2015 (restart)
If you go to high on your down day....

Do you have another down day the next day? You wouldn't want to have a complete up day the next day, since you didn't have a full down day. So what do you do?

Just wondering how you all work with slip ups on your DD's.

High weight: 230+
Weight now: high
Goal #1: 209:
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
janj
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150+/135/130 (5' 6.5")
WOE: juddd
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Sophia. I was doing well on my DD yesterday until early evening. Then came surprise visitors.....and wine and snacks......so my DD went out the window. I am having another (better!) DD today.
janj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I don't do 'catch-up' DDs because I've been 4:3 ever since finishing induction. I don't really like the underlying mentality of catch-ups - learn whatever you can from why you had to eat more (if there's anything to learn) then move on as if it's NBD - it's the long-term view that's important with JUDDD and makes it such a liveable plan.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
XiaoYaoSan
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: XiaoYaoSan
Stats: 160/154.9/130 - 5'5" 52 yo
WOE: JUDDD, Paleo, Moderate Carb
Start Date: July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
... I don't really like the underlying mentality of catch-ups - learn whatever you can from why you had to eat more (if there's anything to learn) then move on as if it's NBD - it's the long-term view that's important with JUDDD and makes it such a liveable plan.

Last edited by XiaoYaoSan; 09-01-2015 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: meant to quote SlowSure
XiaoYaoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
Sophia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sophia
Stats: 230+/230+/135 5'8"
WOE: Low Carb-Ketosis restart
Start Date: August 24, 2015 (restart)
Thank you all- that helps- i just didnt want to have a completr up day after not having a complete down day;; if that makes sense. I have been eating light today and will have a middle of the road day today. Its important for me to stick with my MWF Down days - especially this week with labor day coming. I'm learning as I go with this WOE.
What do you mean by induction? Is that a phrase used in JUDDD as well? Or are you low carb and JUDD?

High weight: 230+
Weight now: high
Goal #1: 209:
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
I take the calories over on a dd and subtract that amount from the next ud.

Many times I was over by 300 calories, so i then tried to eat 300 less calories on the next day - the next day being a ud that is.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

From Dr Johnson's site:

The two-week induction phase is the most restrictive part of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ but is necessary to activate the body's genetic response to alternate-day calorie restriction. To begin experiencing the many benefits from "turning on" your SIRT1 gene, it is important to limit yourself to no more than 500 calories on Down Days during this period. Prepackaged diet shakes and bars from Slim Fastģ, Atkinsģ, and other companies can help make sure that you don't go above 500 calories on Down Days during these two weeks.

On Up Days you will be free to eat as much as you would like (without intentionally overeating) as well as the kind of food that you would like. It's important to enjoy Up Days in order to avoid the diet fatigue that often sets in when following other weight loss plans.

Although Down Days in the induction phase may sound challenging, remember that a Down Day is immediately followed by an Up Day. You will never have to restrict your calories for more than one day at a time. You will be able to eat whatever and however much you would like the very next day.

Long-term Maintenance

Because the SIRT1 gene is turned on so rapidly and its effects manifest themselves so quickly, the induction phase of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ lasts for only two weeks. After that, you are free to eat regular food on Down Days. Also, depending on your weight loss goals, you will be able to eat larger amounts. While it is still perfectly acceptable for you to continue eating 500 calories, or 20 percent of your regular calorie intake, on Down Days after the induction phase, many individuals find that eating up to 35 percent is easier to maintain over the long term.

-----
It seemed to take a lot longer for me to do my induction - I think it was 6 weeks. I didn't use shakes and bars so it was important to find foods that fit the calorie budget and my nutrition needs. Both Dawn and I tend to be non-responders to supplements etc. and neither of us ever felt the JUDDD calm or energy that others mention

Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
XiaoYaoSan
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: XiaoYaoSan
Stats: 160/154.9/130 - 5'5" 52 yo
WOE: JUDDD, Paleo, Moderate Carb
Start Date: July 2015
Alcohol on DD?

So yesterday was a DD, and I included a glass of white wine in the late afternoon with a friend (and budgeted for the calories).

I don't think it was a good idea. I think it may have messed with my blood sugar or something.

I handled it fine at the time, had enough food in my stomach to slow down the absorption. But later that night...a lot of trouble getting to sleep and then RAVENOUS HUNGER around 1 am. My body was screaming for food - and that's never happened so far on a DD.

So I gave in and had tuna salad and some peanut butter.
Tummy was happier, and I could finally get some sleep.

Anybody else imbibe during a DD? Just curious if any one else has had similar experiences.

I guess it's a learning experience. For me it seems to reinforce the importance of choosing my DD calories verrrry carefully.
XiaoYaoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
I don't do 'catch-up' DDs because I've been 4:3 ever since finishing induction. I don't really like the underlying mentality of catch-ups - learn whatever you can from why you had to eat more (if there's anything to learn) then move on as if it's NBD - it's the long-term view that's important with JUDDD and makes it such a liveable plan.

I don't drink alcohol so I'm of no help on that one, sorry...

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoYaoSan View Post
So yesterday was a DD, and I included a glass of white wine in the late afternoon with a friend (and budgeted for the calories).

I don't think it was a good idea. I think it may have messed with my blood sugar or something.

Anybody else imbibe during a DD? Just curious if any one else has had similar experiences.

I guess it's a learning experience. For me it seems to reinforce the importance of choosing my DD calories verrrry carefully.

Yes, yes i have had a drink or two on a dd - sure could feel it, glad I was home and it was just dh and me home together and alone
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
DisneyDoc5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DisneyDoc5
Stats: 165/151.4/140
WOE: LC, JUDDD
I had a glass of wine on a DD last Friday night, wasn't hungry, it hit me harder on the empty stomach, not something I will do on a regular basis, but sometimes wine is necessary! !!
DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:11 AM   #12
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Some people (Dawn/KeirasMom and LCG/Carol come to mind) have a small libation on DDs without it being a problem. For others, I wonder if it's dehydrating enough to unbalance electrolytes (maybe have some broth to assist with this) and produce cravings for food in an effort to correct it.

For some, of course, alcohol is such a disinhibitor that it can lead to food choices that one wouldn't otherwise make.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
LoCarbGal

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Some people (Dawn/KeirasMom and LCG/Carol come to mind) have a small libation on DDs without it being a problem. For others, I wonder if it's dehydrating enough to unbalance electrolytes (maybe have some broth to assist with this) and produce cravings for food in an effort to correct it.

For some, of course, alcohol is such a disinhibitor that it can lead to food choices that one wouldn't otherwise make.
Yes, I have had a cocktail on DDs very occasionally, but never made a habit of it (full disclosure - I'm not currently JUDDDing). It didn't seem to have any ill effects for me, but I was well into my JUDDDing by the time I tried it and well in control at the time.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #14
Roo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Roo
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 9/7/2015
Bumping this thread because I blew my DD today and I'm feeling so terrible. Wondering if I should do another DD tomorrow.
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:44 AM   #15
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Bumping this thread because I blew my DD today and I'm feeling so terrible. Wondering if I should do another DD tomorrow.
As you might gather from what I wrote above, I would suggest that you learn what you can from this (if anything) and treat it as NBD. Just keep to your schedule. It's important to respect JUDDD as a long-term plan and WOL: this works both ways as it makes JUDDD tremendously flexible and liveable both in the Now and in plans for the Future (in my experience, anyway).

NB: we don't blow DDs really, sometimes we learn in retrospect that that particular day just wasn't the right day for one. It's useful to see if it's practical to move away from the All or Nothing mentality.

One more point, there is an outstanding post that describes just how much of a range we have on DDs and that can be useful over time or in circumstances like this: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...light=epiphany (I believe I had an Epiphany).

Old 10-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #16
Roo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Roo
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 9/7/2015
Quote:
As you might gather from what I wrote above, I would suggest that you learn what you can from this (if anything) and treat it as NBD. Just keep to your schedule. It's important to respect JUDDD as a long-term plan and WOL: this works both ways as it makes JUDDD tremendously flexible and liveable both in the Now and in plans for the Future (in my experience, anyway).

NB: we don't blow DDs really, sometimes we learn in retrospect that that particular day just wasn't the right day for one. It's useful to see if it's practical to move away from the All or Nothing mentality.

One more point, there is an outstanding post that describes just how much of a range we have on DDs and that can be useful over time or in circumstances like this: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...light=epiphany (I believe I had an Epiphany).

Thank you so much! I'm feeling way better about my DD yesterday now. I shall keep going forward, and learn from the experience.
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #17
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
That is the right attitude.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #18
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (191.9/170.9/145)66yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 8/24/15 @191.9)
Quote:

The link that SS put has been a real eye opener for me. I am an old JUDDDer who keeps coming back. I keep "failing" & I keep trying. I have a history with an eating disorder. I never want to be anorexic again. But, I never wanted to be obese either!! I thought I'd put all of that behind me; but, I realize I hadn't. I'm doing better & when I restarted JUDDD 6 weeks ago, I started with the realization that I HAD to do this in a way that I can live with. Yes, lose weight; but, not frustrate the day lights out of my self almost on a daily basis!

Until I read this thread & the link SS added, I didn't know that what I was doing wasn't new. But, it is to me. I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread & the other one, too. To Sophia, who started this conversation & to Marianne who put herself "out there" & showed us how this plan can work & work really well. I am excited to have a new outlook. Regaining 40-50 pounds & losing it is exhausting! Maybe now I can relax..........besides..........I have REALLY missed not being a part of this forum!! I've missed all of you! Some of you, I catch bits of on facebook. But, here is where I feel the most comfortable. It feels like coming home! Thanks to all of the newbies & the "oldies" alike. I am so happy you're here!

Iíve always wanted to be normal, but lately Iíve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:07 AM   #19
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Shari, we missed you too. I am always around no matter how I am eating. Can't manage without my dear JBs.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #20
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, Cindy! With my attitude of all or nothing, I tell myself I don't belong here if I'm not following plan exactly! But, I know better!! I will be around! And I'm reading posts like crazy! Have a great day!!

Iíve always wanted to be normal, but lately Iíve come to suspect that this is it.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #21
LoCarbGal

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Shari, we missed you too. I am always around no matter how I am eating. Can't manage without my dear JBs.
Me too! Or is it me neither? Either way, I have to have my JB fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
Thank you, Cindy! With my attitude of all or nothing, I tell myself I don't belong here if I'm not following plan exactly! But, I know better!! I will be around! And I'm reading posts like crazy! Have a great day!!
So great to see you Shari! I was wondering about you!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #22
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Me too! Or is it me neither? Either way, I have to have my JB fix!

So great to see you Shari! I was wondering about you!
Thank you, Carol! I've missed seeing your smile & hearing your kind words of encouragement.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #23
Nik Nik
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nik Nik
Stats: 209 / 177.5/ 170
WOE: JUDDD/LCHF/IF
Start Date: 08/24/2015 - AGAIN
All my DD's this week have been close to 1000....smh...I just keep trying to get a GOOD DD in, but struggling this week.

Ultimately though I'm not losing at the moment...I'm still under....since I haven't had a real UD yet (don't think I deserve it because of the "failed" DD's.

These reminders help let me know that I have not "failed"....I'm doing just fine and tomorrow is always another day!

209/177.5/175-170- New goal!
Nik Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #24
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nik View Post
All my DD's this week have been close to 1000....smh...I just keep trying to get a GOOD DD in, but struggling this week.

Ultimately though I'm not losing at the moment...I'm still under....since I haven't had a real UD yet (don't think I deserve it because of the "failed" DD's.

These reminders help let me know that I have not "failed"....I'm doing just fine and tomorrow is always another day!
Nik Nik, you'll get there!! The main thing is you're working on it!! And that has GOT to feel good! Don't beat yourself up over a number that isn't set in stone! Have a great day!!

Old 10-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #25
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nik View Post

You'll move into the rotations when you're ready for them.

I'm sure you know this, but please don't withhold UDs because you feel you don't deserve them - it might be one way for you to look at it in the short-term, but in the longer term, I'd be concerned that this might be an unhelpful mind-set for you. YMMV. And it's the sort of resentment and guilt mindset that Spinardi highlights as leading to a sense of restriction and subsequent rebound. I think she says something like, "The longer the period of restriction, the longer and deeper will be the rebound that results from it".

NB: Spinardi thread for reference. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=844564

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...spinardi+cycle

Last edited by SlowSure; 10-16-2015 at 09:40 AM..
Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #26
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
This is a really good thread! I'm in more of a reading and not talking mood lately. And it's fun to find a thread that is so motivating.

I've been on an extended JUDD break because of surgery and other health issues, but am enjoying just brushing up on EOD ideas because I know I really want to get back to it eventually.

I will know when the time is right and when my body is ready to dive in again. In the mean time I'll be hanging around and reading...

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote