Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #121
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/159.2/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
Hey guys! My DD on Sunday went pretty well but my UD yesterday pretty sure I had about 3000 calories! The problem was going out for breakfast. I can't eat half my days calories so early in the morning because I still get really hungry at night. That's why I try to eat later or even wait till lunch to eat on ud's. Still I'm only up .8 from my Ud so I'm grateful it wasn't worse, perhaps it's cause I still stuck to my woe. I'm 172.2 , so only 1.7 lbs away from my challenge goal but final weigh in is November 25 and I've got the 5 days I'll be in NJ with my husband. Id like to say I'll continue Juddd while there but I've never been able to stick to it while on vacation :/ I'm going to try my very hardest, he'll be at work 2 of the days were there so those for sure will be DD's! i ended October at 172.4, 16 days later I'm only Down .2, just feels like I've wasted so much time. I know if I hadn't had so many mess ups i'd be where I want to be. Trying not to beat myself up though, sigh, at least I'm still down 16 lbs from last month right?!

Helewisa- you pose some good questions. I've been using Juddd on and off so even though it's been 2 years it's never been consistent. The longest I stayed on it was 2 months and then I got pregnant! So this time around will be my first time trying it for a long period of time. I'll be right there with you seeing how it goes! I think it seems the people who arent losing too much are very close to goal.

Carly- I once tried to post a link to an article in response to your post about seeming to have a harder time keeping the weight off but you can't do that around here without getting in trouble but basically the gist of it was that even if you lose weight your fat cells stay the same size and this is why so many people that lose weight gain it all back with in a few years. I can private message you if you interested in the link.

Shari- you are right I need to stop worrying about yesterday and concentrate on today! The same goes for looking too far ahead, I'll often mess myself up because later on in the week I have something planned that will throw off my rotation and give up cause there's no point if I'm just going to mess up in a few days. If I just worried about each day those little hiccups here and there would be no big deal.

Last edited by Vlo1125; 11-16-2015 at 06:43 AM..
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #122
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
No, your fat cells don't stay 'the same size' because as you lose weight, you empty them. BUT they remain, so you have the same number of fat cells, and the body is programmed to keep trying to fill them. That's why regaining lost weight is so common, and not regaining is a constant challenge.

I've been maintaining (within 5 lbs) for 6+ years, and it's getting more difficult--not easier- with time. I suspect because there's a tendency to relax--and one thing I've learned is that the only thing that keeps me from regaining is constant vigilance.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #123
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
No, your fat cells don't stay 'the same size' because as you lose weight, you empty them. BUT they remain, so you have the same number of fat cells, and the body is programmed to keep trying to fill them. That's why regaining lost weight is so common, and not regaining is a constant challenge.

I've been maintaining (within 5 lbs) for 6+ years, and it's getting more difficult--not easier- with time. I suspect because there's a tendency to relax--and one thing I've learned is that the only thing that keeps me from regaining is constant vigilance.
Yea ,this is what I meant .i read the article awhile ago so I couldn't remember the specifics.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #124
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Quote:

I'm just popping around reading on some threads and so glad to read this post. Constant vigilance. For sure. There are so many things that get us off track. Health problems, family problems, broken limbs...whatever!! Seems like it's always something. One of my close friends has been losing weight and just got back into working out on a regular basis. Then her doctor discovered a tumor the size of a golf ball inside her head. It needed to be surgically removed and she has been told she can't do vigorous exercise until she is fully recovered. Back to square one. But we all just have to get back on the horse at some point and keep on going.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #125
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
If I don't take control soon I will have refilled every fat cell to overflowing!

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #126
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helewisa
Stats: 160/149/135-132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: October 31, 2015
Vlo- I hear your struggling, and I like the idea of keeping it in the moment or just today's cares. All of life is so much easier that way so certainly maintaining our focus an a WOE will be too. Of course, this is from the woman who awakened at 1AM to go pee and then had all kinds of "cares" (aka worries) tumbling around in my head for nearly 2 hours!!! And, I was getting up at 430AM to go hunting, ARG!

Meanwhile, you ARE down on the weight, so it is still a win! If you try to remember why you're doing all of this, maybe you can handle each day as it comes whether vacation days or another average day. One small step at a time will add up to big losses I think.

So good to get the reality check about vigilance as well, thanks Leo. Healthier food choices and apparently LC also helps in the battle of the bulge. I wish I could make LC my WOL, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
helewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #127
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
About the fat cells- I read something fairly recently that said they hang around for a number of years (5, 7, 10 maybe, I don't remember, helpful aren't I?) and are finally dismantled.

So we've got that to look forward to.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:48 AM   #128
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Gina-
It's got to be more than 6+ years because my own fat cells are clamoring even more than ever to be refilled

It would be nice if they'd go away soon, but I've read that they're forever; I hope I'm wrong.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:36 AM   #129
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Gina-It's got to be more than 6+ years because my own fat cells are clamoring even more than ever to be refilled

It would be nice if they'd go away soon, but I've read that they're forever; I hope I'm wrong.
I don't mean this wholly seriously but I wonder if activating SIRT1 etc. as Dr Johnson suggests means that these things no longer self-destruct within the usual timescales but benefit from the general longevity improvements...

There's been some speculation and early stage research around resveratrol and its impact on fat cells: Identification of a novel proapoptotic function of resveratrol in fat cells: SIRT1-independent sensitization to TRAIL-induced apoptosis http://www.fasebj.org/content/24/6/1997.full

It's interesting (to me) to note that the resveratrol action is reported to be independent of SIRT1.

Lots of interesting studies, few firm/reliable conclusions (IMO). Jacqueline Stephens has a decent overview which is far more readable than many in this field: The Fat Controller: Adipocyte Development
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3507952/

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:41 AM   #130
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Yes that whole fat cell waiting to be refilled is a bummer but it makes sense as to why I've lost significant amounts of weight 3 times in my life only to gain it all back. I think that's why it so important to find a sustainable WOE that you can live with because you won't get to "eat like a normal person" constant vilgilance indeed! There was another part to the article I read that also said the amount of fat cells you have form in adolescence , so if you were a fat kid ( I was) you also have a harder time keeping off the weight.

Helewisa- looks like the scale is moving in the right direction, doing anything differently?

Down to my lowest this morning 170.8, I'm happy but confused! Not a perfect DD yesterday, I had too many carbs but I didn't have a lot of protein or fat so maybe I needed that? Today for my UD I'm going to try to keep my carbs under 50 g. I've read carb cycling works for weight loss so that's something to keep in mind when a stall happens. I've got so much to do in the next 2 days it's insane! Ttyl!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #131
Kismet311
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
WOE: TOPS-Reached KOPS status on 11-5-15/Juddd
Hi everyone!! It seems like ages since I've been around here. Just got so busy with stress and stuff. Just wanted to say HELLO!! I called GOAL 2 weeks ago!! Bring on maintenance!!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #132
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Congratulations Kismet!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #133
mom23kids
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance/129lbs (37yrs, 5ft, 6in)
WOE: JUDDD/5:2IF for WL & 16:8IF for maintenance
Start Date: Started this Whacky Journey in October of 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by helewisa View Post
SlowSUre and/or anyone who has experience/knowledge of long term JUDDD, I'm hoping that you can help me with some questions that I have.

1. With such a great calorie deficit (for example leaving me with an average of 1225 calories/day) for most JUDDDers due to the low cals of a DD, why is it that it seems to take quite a while for the weight to come off?

Many things can affect the speed of loss-age is a big one, time of month, accuracy in tracking, medical conditions etc etc. For me personally-the weight came off pretty quickly with JUDDD. However my mom also did it, and her loss was about half the speed of mine. She's in her 60s though, post menopausal, has several health issues and is a life time yo-yo dieter. She still lost, but at a slower pace (about .5lb a week vs my 1-2lbs a week)

2. I have seen what seems to be a fairly large amount of posts concerning increased struggles with JUDDD remaining effective. Is it a common problem for those who have reached their goal to then find it becomes more and more difficult to maintain the loss? Do the long term effects of IF eventually prove detrimental to metabolism?

The reality is-there's a dismal success rate for long time maintenance, regardless of what plan you follow. Numerous things play into this-the biggie being that maintenance is for a very long time, vs the relatively short period of time that you spend in the weight loss phase. I've been in maintenance for a little over 2 years and I'm looking at 40+ years yet

Sooo many things can/will happen in that time-I'll get older and my body will go through biological changes, I'll go through life events that will cause me to get off track (sickness/injuries/tragedy/times of extreme business etc), and then one of the biggest reasons I think so many people fail at long term maintenance is BOREDOM. It's boring to be in maintenance, and that leads to loss of focus. It becomes harder and harder to stay focused because maintenance is for such a long time. There's no 'highs' when you see a new low on the scale, the compliments stop, the drive to keep at it fades away. From my own experience-the weight loss phase was the easy part, maintenance is a

However, IF has something going for it, that other plans don't have. IF does NOT have a bunch of rules and restrictions. IF does NOT have 'bad' and 'good' food lists. IF does NOT tell you that you cannot eat the foods you enjoy. IF is NOT complicated. So many other plans do these things, which only leads to 'falling off the wagon' down the road. There's no guilt in eating the foods you enjoy. You can eat what you love to eat, and still be successful! For me, that's what has allowed me to not only lose the extra weight, but to go into maintenance and stay there. I love fast food and with JUDDD I ate it 2-3 times a week during my weight loss phase, and I continue to do so now that I'm in maintenance following other IF protocols. If I had followed a plan that told me I had to cut that out (which a lot of them do), I would have failed, period. I still drink diet soda, I still eat cookies and chips. I will eat pie on Thanksgiving-and I can do all of this and still rock my size 4 jeans and a glucose number that is in the 80s (I was labeled a pre-diabetic in 2012, before I started JUDDD).

IF allows you to look at the bigger, long term picture and it works with what you can realistically do for the long run. So no I don't think IF hurts your metabolism down the road in maintenance or makes maintaining harder, it's that maintenance is hard. But I firmly believe that maintaining with IF gives us a better shot at long term success.

I would love to hear more about this, perhaps it needs a separate thread, or there may be one already including answers to these questions?

Thank you for your help, I'm all in and happily JUDDDing away, but these are some niggling questions that swirl around in my mind.
My long, rambling answers in bold above

October 2015 Blood Work Results
-Total Cholesterol 167: HDL 69 LDL 97
-Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 2.4
no triglycerides number given this time, but blood work this past spring put them at a 49
-Glucose (non-fasting) 87
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #134
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Helewisa, Vlo, Jjsmama, and anyone else I missed who had kind messages about my brother—thank you so much. I disappeared off this board for a few days because things have been pretty crazy, but he’s doing all right. The unfortunate thing is that he may not be able to drive for awhile (not good when you live in Iowa) due to medical reasons, but the important thing is that he’s okay, of course. And I so appreciate your words of kindness!

Kismet, congratulations on reaching goal!!! Here’s hoping maintenance is off to a good start!

I’ve been doing pretty well the last couple of weeks—holiday treats and candies are starting to appear, and I’m attempting to be strong! I’ll just repeat my mantra over and over, moderation is key, moderation is key…
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #135
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

mom23kids- Thank you so very much for your reply to my queries!!! Your answers reflect what others have also attested to, and also it's nice to see that my own thoughts regarding the answers were not incorrect.

I am almost terrified of maintenance, because that is the place, the moment, when the yo-yo wants to rewind! The losses, even when slow are gratifying and give me a sense of accomplishment. I suppose that I will have to establish in my heart and mind, the great accomplishment it can be/will be to maintain a weight loss. When I think of maintenance that way, actually it would be an amazing feat, absolutely wonderful and not something I have ever been able to do before.

Also, I love the bit about eating what you like. I go back and forth in what I eat, sometimes more healthy, other times less, but I think that the IF of JUDDD offers a person the chance to take a closer look at their choices as well. If I eat too much carby/sugary junk on an UD, I may have a harder time on my DD due to cravings and lack of nutrition. There's so much to ponder, to learn and to use flexibly in this WOE, I just love it so far!

Thanks again for all the answers I have received regarding these questions and the thread that SS bumped was a great read too!

Now, time for some hot tea of broth!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #136
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Mom23kids - you may not remember me but I remember you from the primal adf/Judd forums a few couple years back. glad to see you've maintained and are doing well.

Kismet- congrats!

Taramisu-glad your brother is doing well but that does suck about the driving!

Helewisa-
Quote:
If I eat too much carby/sugary junk on an UD, I may have a harder time on my DD due to cravings and lack of nutrition.
I find this to be true for me as well. Also there's that great quote I see floating around here, that's like Juddd doesn't care what foods you eat , but your body does. Or something like that. For me,my woe is for health, Judd is for weightloss.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #137
mom23kids
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlo1125 View Post
Mom23kids - you may not remember me but I remember you from the primal adf/Judd forums a few couple years back. glad to see you've maintained and are doing well.

Kismet- congrats!

Taramisu-glad your brother is doing well but that does suck about the driving!

Helewisa-

I find this to be true for me as well. Also there's that great quote I see floating around here, that's like Juddd doesn't care what foods you eat , but your body does. Or something like that. For me,my woe is for health, Judd is for weightloss.
Ha, yeah I've been all over/done just about every woe out there The primal/paleo thing didn't go so well for me-ended up developing some icky side effects from eating that way, so I had to let it go after a few months. Still doing IF though, in its various forms, for maintenance-mostly 16:8IF

no triglycerides number given this time, but blood work this past spring put them at a 49
Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #138
mom23kids
Established

Quote:
mom23kids- Thank you so very much for your reply to my queries!!! Your answers reflect what others have also attested to, and also it's nice to see that my own thoughts regarding the answers were not incorrect.

I am almost terrified of maintenance, because that is the place, the moment, when the yo-yo wants to rewind! The losses, even when slow are gratifying and give me a sense of accomplishment. I suppose that I will have to establish in my heart and mind, the great accomplishment it can be/will be to maintain a weight loss. When I think of maintenance that way, actually it would be an amazing feat, absolutely wonderful and not something I have ever been able to do before.

Also, I love the bit about eating what you like. I go back and forth in what I eat, sometimes more healthy, other times less, but I think that the IF of JUDDD offers a person the chance to take a closer look at their choices as well. If I eat too much carby/sugary junk on an UD, I may have a harder time on my DD due to cravings and lack of nutrition. There's so much to ponder, to learn and to use flexibly in this WOE, I just love it so far!

Thanks again for all the answers I have received regarding these questions and the thread that SS bumped was a great read too!

Now, time for some hot tea of broth!
I do this too-I've done everything from primal eating, to a short lived experiment with vegetarianism lol. IF is very patient with me though, as I dabble in the various woe's out there

Interesting side note-I recently had blood work done, and I had my best ever cholesterol numbers. Crazy thing is, because of my busy fall schedule, I had been surviving mostly on frozen tv dinners and diet soda! My HDL number went up like 6 points, to a 69-wild! I was/am doing 16:8IF, so that must be like magic or something

Old 11-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #139
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
I called GOAL 2 weeks ago!! Bring on maintenance!!
I'm delighted to read this! Well Done! KUTGW and

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #140
Kismet311
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
WOE: TOPS-Reached KOPS status on 11-5-15/Juddd
Thanks everyone! Since I go to a weight loss support meeting (TOPS), I am considered in maintenance as long as I stay between 120-130lbs. My doctor agreed that I'm at a good weight and she wrote me a goal note to submit to my state coordinator. I will be "graduating" in June at the State Recognition event!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #141
mom23kids
Established

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Since I go to a weight loss support meeting (TOPS), I am considered in maintenance as long as I stay between 120-130lbs. My doctor agreed that I'm at a good weight and she wrote me a goal note to submit to my state coordinator. I will be "graduating" in June at the State Recognition event!

Old 11-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #142
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

Kismet - I'm sorry, I meant to include you in my earlier post...Congratulations on meeting your goal AND your graduation, that is a milestone worth celebrating (with some dancing maybe and a smoothie?!) SO happy for you, it takes so much dedication and focus to make it to a happy and healthy weight. You have done it...WOW, I am impressed AND inspired by you. Keep up the great WOE/WOL
Old 11-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #143
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Yay Kismet, congratulations...you were missed.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #144
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 233/142/146-120
WOE: Weight Watchers, IF and knowledgeable
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014 nov 2017
Congratulations!!!!!

Kismet Fabulous job! So you'll be a kop soon? My mom went through Tops and graduated it was a wonderful time. ( She has maintained for about 10 years now and is looking great)
This time is forever I say this again!!
Goal I don’t know where I’ll end up but I’m happy where I am!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #145
LiLi914
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 249.6/245.2/145
WOE: JUDDD/some form of Low-Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2017 - restart from 2013
Congratultions Kismet!!!

Come stalk my journal: https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...d.php?t=873596

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #146
Dirt-N-Flowers
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirt-N-Flowers
Stats: 197.2/174.8/145 -- 70 yo - 5'1.5"
Start Date: 9/29/15
Quote:
Congratulations on your KOPS status. I used to post on the TOPS thread. I let life get in the way of following any true weight loss plan other than a couple of weeks at a time. I continued to go to TOPS and am now back to JUDDD and doing well.

Juanice

9/29/15-197.2; 10/1-194.0; 11/1-183.6; 12/1-177.6; 1/1/16-174.8; 2/1/16-172.6; 3/1/16-171.4
Dirt-N-Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #147
helewisa
Senior LCF Member

Good morning All,

(This is a message copy/paste because I'm in a rush to get to sleep!)

I'm getting ready to go to sleep as I work tonight 645PM to 730AM...ARG. Had a bigger than wanted UD yesterday, weighed, but I refuse to record it (scale says 145.6!!!). I will just be having bullion tonight, do a pretty real liquid/water fast and just a couple of bullion cubes for some salty relief...eee-gads, this has got to be the most horrendous "bounce" I can imagine. I am pretty discouraged. There is no way I could gain that in a day unless it's water.

I did weigh yesterday, but was in a hurry to get on the road (my friend had a serious surgery) and forgot to record it, but I think it was the same as the previous day (about 138.9)?

Anyway, I just finished lifting and now I have to "unwind", I hope this Sleepy Time tea will help.

As for my friend, she made it through surgery, kidney removed, thrombus removed from renal artery, but will need chemo and her prognosis...not so good, unless The Lord has a different plan. She has a continuous narc/pain med infusing via epidural, but she is still in quite a bit of discomfort at this point. Poor sweet thing...please, pray for her if you do such. She is such an amazing woman and full of life and love, and only 35.

OK, here's to NOT being controlled by our scales! We CAN do this, and this IS a new day!

Take care, I'll be away whilst working but check in as I can. Going to visit Jess in hospital again tomorrow afternoon to evening (it's 2 hrs away) and then I work again Saturday night so...
Thanks for being here!
Old 11-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #148
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlo1125 View Post
Shari- you are right I need to stop worrying about yesterday and concentrate on today! The same goes for looking too far ahead, I'll often mess myself up because later on in the week I have something planned that will throw off my rotation and give up cause there's no point if I'm just going to mess up in a few days. If I just worried about each day those little hiccups here and there would be no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I don't mean this wholly seriously but I wonder if activating SIRT1 etc. as Dr Johnson suggests means that these things no longer self-destruct within the usual timescales but benefit from the general longevity improvements...

There's been some speculation and early stage research around resveratrol and its impact on fat cells: Identification of a novel proapoptotic function of resveratrol in fat cells: SIRT1-independent sensitization to TRAIL-induced apoptosis http://www.fasebj.org/content/24/6/1997.full

It's interesting (to me) to note that the resveratrol action is reported to be independent of SIRT1.

Lots of interesting studies, few firm/reliable conclusions (IMO). Jacqueline Stephens has a decent overview which is far more readable than many in this field: The Fat Controller: Adipocyte Development
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3507952/
I'll check out these links over the weekend.

Quote:
Hi everyone!! It seems like ages since I've been around here. Just got so busy with stress and stuff. Just wanted to say HELLO!! I called GOAL 2 weeks ago!! Bring on maintenance!!

Congraats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
That is exciting!

Quote:
As for my friend, she made it through surgery, kidney removed, thrombus removed from renal artery, but will need chemo and her prognosis...not so good, unless The Lord has a different plan. She has a continuous narc/pain med infusing via epidural, but she is still in quite a bit of discomfort at this point. Poor sweet thing...please, pray for her if you do such. She is such an amazing woman and full of life and love, and only 35.

OK, here's to NOT being controlled by our scales! We CAN do this, and this IS a new day!

Take care, I'll be away whilst working but check in as I can. Going to visit Jess in hospital again tomorrow afternoon to evening (it's 2 hrs away) and then I work again Saturday night so...
Thanks for being here!

Hi all! Just popping in to say hi!
It's pouring rain and pretty chilly. I'm freezing!!!!!!!
I sat in on an exit interview today with one of our State Oversite Athorities that licenses one of our programs. The audit was mixed. Some really good things that we received Exemplary on, but a bunch of needs improvement. None of the NI were a surprise to me based on my first 3 weeks at this job.

I did a great deal of train and subway travel with my laptop in my backpack and I'm feeling it!!!!

I have to go uptown tomorrow straight from Grand Central and then across to Time Square (I work a little south west of Time Square) so I anticipate more back pain tomorrow as well. Can anyone recommend a great laptop/ backpack? Mine is decent, but a no-name brand. I'm not sure if there are ones that may be better.

There is a very noticeable police presence in all the major subway stations and at Grand Central Station. The military guards have multiplied as well. The guards wear these huge bullet proof vest, huge, and all I can think is that vest isn't going to help if they blow this place up... horrible I know...

I know my poor sister is sick with worry. She has a pretty bad anxiety disorder to begin with, but the thing is, if we let them scare us then they are winning. I won't give them that power!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #149
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Carly- ikwym! My husband takes the train to the World Trade Center everyday for work and I worry but you can't stop living your life. I hope you can get some relief for your back pain but those trains aren't the most comfortable places to sit!

Helewisa- prayers for your friend , I know how hard it is to sit in the sidelines and feel like you want to help, but there's nothing you can do. My sister law has lukemia and it wasn't looking to good for her this week, we thought we were going to have to fly to NYC just to hop in car and head to NC to see her . She seemed to be doing better yesterday when we spoke and since my in laws and her whole family rushed there to be with her we're going to stay put, but I feel so bad :/

We flew to NYC yesterday and I'm super jet lagged. It's only a two hour flight but I had to be up at 2:30 am with my kids to get to the airport on time. My DD the day before was derailed by snacking and my UD yesterday for sure was crazy high on carbs and calories. My m-i-l has a scale so I weighed myself this morning and it said 174.2 , if it's right that's a 3.4 lb gain in the last two days not going to dwell, lack of sleep , traveling and stress eating are to blame. Today is a DD , my husband left for work and I ran to Walmart to pick up groceries for my kids. Finally had my cup of coffee with heavy cream and dinner will be leftovers from the night before, Peruvian rotisserie chicken and fried sweet plantains ( though I probably should opt to have avocado instead cause of carbs). There's a very good chance I'm going to lose my challenge which bothers me but it is a gamble so what can you do. I'm pretty sure Saturday and Sunday I won't fast since my husband will want to go out to eat a lot. I'm aiming for my next DD to be Monday. Hope you all are doing well!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #150
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/137/130# 5'6" 60yrs
WOE: LC+IF
Start Date: Jan 2018 Stillman’s plus IF
Congrats Kismet! Well done.

I am travelling on business across the country (had a long flight, bumpy from weather and fleeting thoughts of heightened security).

I had high hopes that JUDDD would save me from travel gain, but I'm struggling to get back on good rotations.

I chose to do a medium day while flying because I thought it would be easier on my body than eating. It turned into a bigger-than-medium day. Not exactly an up day, but I gave into boredom eating (a 100 kcal bag of caramel popcorn on the flight along with more beef jerky than I needed - 6.5 hours is too long to sit in an airplane seat!). I had planned a down day the day after travel, but I'm all out of sorts with drastic changes in time zone, sleep and weather; I added chocolate, a cookie and wine on top of an otherwise good down day of salad with protein. Now I don't know what to do today. I want to try another down day because I feel like a failure. But I guess in writing that I can see that it sounds silly.

Struggling.
JUDDD settling point with restricted UDs = ?? failed
Low weight on intermittent water fasting with low carb = 138, still trying

Beowulf's Journey
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=875478
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote