Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Anyone trying to figure out the thyroid puzzle: google stop the thyroid madness 15 things (patients should teach their doctors). Its a list I'm bringing my new ND when I see her.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #32
FrostyBeav
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 231/217/160
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 9/25/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
What was your TSH level when first tested?
4.87 The free T4 was in the normal range but right at the bottom of the range. I think I will talk to the Dr next time I see him about testing for T3. It isn't a test they normally run and I have heard that it isn't the most accurate.

I've been gluten free for 10 years, long before the low thyroid. I had the antibody test done, though, and don't have Hashimoto's so gluten probably doesn't make a difference to me when it comes to the thyroid.

Does anyone have any actual human studies that show low carb is a good treatment for hypothyroidism? All of them I have seen show the opposite. I'm still 95% convinced that a year on zero carb is what nuked mine but I'm open to seeing different evidence.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #33
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Anyone trying to figure out the thyroid puzzle: google stop the thyroid madness 15 things (patients should teach their doctors). Its a list I'm bringing my new ND when I see her.
I found that the other day while googling and am hanging on to it. I'm an oddity in that aside from the weight issue, I don't fit the typical hypothyroid or Hashi checklist. At least I don't think I do. I just got tired of not being able to lose weight and asked for a thyroid panel which showed my results (it's in the thyroid forum). Now that I'm just beginning on meds, it's a whole new ballgame to learn if I should be on real or generic (which I'm on) Synthroid, Armour, or a mix. I'm more tired now after beginning the drug. Looking at that list I still feel a little like I'm on the outside looking in as this is still so new!

I hope Shari takes a look at the list. Thanks for sharing it, JayLynn.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #34
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
4.87 The free T4 was in the normal range but right at the bottom of the range. I think I will talk to the Dr next time I see him about testing for T3. It isn't a test they normally run and I have heard that it isn't the most accurate.

I've been gluten free for 10 years, long before the low thyroid. I had the antibody test done, though, and don't have Hashimoto's so gluten probably doesn't make a difference to me when it comes to the thyroid.

Does anyone have any actual human studies that show low carb is a good treatment for hypothyroidism? All of them I have seen show the opposite. I'm still 95% convinced that a year on zero carb is what nuked mine but I'm open to seeing different evidence.
I read where even the 3.0 that endos say is the upper limit (as opposed to the lab's 4.5) needs to be pushed down to 2.0 or even 1.5. That would certainly put a lot of "normal" people as hypo even though I'm learning that it's the other numbers that affect that. I'm on overload as I've been reading so much and it's all still confusing to me. I've been reading the thyroid thread and Leo has been a big help.

I feel better without wheat although I don't feel like I have a gluten issue, either. I've also seen where low carb might not be the best for hypothryoid as well, but then the next thing I read says it's fine. I like eating keto (talk about an appetite killer), but am looking into paleo or primal I (love my cream and yogurt) which appears to be more carby by adding in good veggies. Which now I see is better to eat cooked than raw so that it doesn't stop iodine absorption.

I just feel bad that I posted here again and now am finding that I need to put JUDDD on the back burner again. I did okay until Friday and for now feel better eating every day.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #35
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
I just feel bad that I posted here again and now am finding that I need to put JUDDD on the back burner again. I did okay until Friday and for now feel better eating every day.
Once a JB, always a JB

Please keep us up to date on your progress, whatever WOE you follow.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:33 AM   #36
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Once a JB, always a JB

Please keep us up to date on your progress, whatever WOE you follow.
Aw, thanks, SlowSure.

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-28-2015, 06:29 AM   #37
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Absolutely stick around, Vanilla. I think this thyroid stuff concerns a lot of us and is so complex every experience is valuable.

I had a blood draw yesterday and can't wait to see the results, which I will go over diligently and try to figure out even before I see the ND. There is so much good information out there, you just have to weed through it all and find what works for you.

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #38
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I wish I had time to post more (have been dealing with thyroid stuff and have been GF for 6-7 years). I see a doctor for my treatment that is in a big, pretty progressive medical group and they have tons of info posted on their site. I don't think I can link because the do sell supplements, but you can search for Holtorf Medical Group.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #39
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Quote:
Wow, Yam, I got pooped from reading about the adventures with the boy!! Sounds like lots of fun, though, especially this time of year.

Today begins week 5 of the meds. I did speak with my doctor and although we did talk about switching meds, we opted for me to try taking it at bedtime instead of the middle of the night. I'll be doing the first blood test in a couple of weeks to see if it's helped and go from there. Vlo1125, she did mention adding a T3 med. Leo41 had mentioned Hashimoto's (doc never did) and I don't seem to have those symptoms. Of course, I only have 3-4 of the typical hypo symptoms so who knows if I'm straddling the Hashi's fence.

I've been doing lots of researching and still need to get Mary's book on my Kindle. Aside from a few oops, I've been eating low carb/keto so have gotten most of the grains and gluten out of my diet. I still eat yogurt (strained full fat Dannon) but have read conflicting stuff on that. Some places says it's okay, some say it's akin to gluten (the casein) and should be eliminated.

As Murphy's Law runs the show sometimes, I may need to forego JUDDD for now until I get all this under control despite just coming back again. Changing up when I take it means I need to restructure eating and vitamin taking to accommodate the empty stomach/vitamin/synthroid schedule.

Vlo and Shari, glad you're following and appreciate the input! Oh and Shari, yes press! I've been reading (here and elsewhere) that a lot of endos want the lab ranges pushed down even further.
Hey 'Nilla! First of all, don't feel bad posting here if you are not doing JUDD!! You are a JUDDer true blue through and through even when medical/health issues prevent you from doing it. ME TOO!!

I can't do JUDD right now because of all the meds timing eating weirding trying to figure out all this new stuff thing is going. Ohhhhh. That was an interesting sentence, huh?

I have not even mentioned my doctor bringing up my PCOS and dealing with that (finally) and how that all fits into the mix. I have hyponatremia (low sodium) and it's causing problems. I was taking a diuretic for years and the doc took me off of it because it's apparently flushing out the sodium and now I'm retaining fluid big time and she put me on Amlodipine (which does NOT agree with me) which CAUSES fluid retention. So, I am a MESS!!!

I can't even post my weight losses because out of the blue the fluid retention makes the scale go up and then I can't tell if I'm losing or gaining.

Anyway, please stay here on the JUDD boards. If you stay, I'll stay. We can help each other figure things out and maybe we can EOD again at some point. But in the mean time I'm still low carbing and trying to get in more lean protein.

Stay.....Staaaaaaaay.... (as Bill Murray said in Groundhog Day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
I eliminated wheat & sugar from my diet when I began JUDDD again. How did I do it? I just stopped eating it or buying it. Do I check every single label for wheat? Not always. But, when I don't buy many processed foods it isn't an issue. As for yogurt, I still eat it as well. Like you, full fat greek yogurt. I also eat cottage cheese, full fat. I don't have a gluten issue. (that I know of) I just prefer to not eat wheat because it makes me feel better as does sugar elimination. I think yogurt is a YMMV thing.
I'm still eating fat free plain Fage yogurt but thinking after hearing you and others eating full fat, maybe I should switch and see how that works. With all the news coming out about whole milk now being better for the heart than fat free... gee whiz. Everything is so confusing. Like 'Nilla, I feel like I'm on overload with all the research and reading about everything.

Quote:
Thanks. I will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post

I don't know of any studies. I just read that somewhere and also my doctor recommended it. But she was also recommending it for PCOS which I already knew.

Yesterday I got a paper in the mail from my lab. It just has a list of all my thyroid tests and long lists of numbers after each test. I do not know what the heck all the numbers mean. Hopefully I won't be seeing my doctor for several months so will not have a chance soon to run it by her.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #40
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I wish I had time to post more (have been dealing with thyroid stuff and have been GF for 6-7 years). I see a doctor for my treatment that is in a big, pretty progressive medical group and they have tons of info posted on their site. I don't think I can link because the do sell supplements, but you can search for Holtorf Medical Group.
Hi GME,
I just came across an interview with Dr Haltorf and Mary. He said some very interesting things about thyroid and weight gain/unable to lose. How it all ties in with leptin. Anyone interested can google their names, I think. You are SO LUCKY to be working with someone who knows his stuff!

Every since Vanilla and Yam started this conversation about thyroid, it finally dawned on me that this is why I am slowwwwwwly losing weight even though I am eating better quality and less food than ever in my life. I'm more active and exercise most days. When the eyebrow and hair loss thing came into play, I knew I needed to check this out more.

I am one of those who has had classic symptoms for years but never given the thyroid tests that matter. Doctors really believe that if the TSH is "within normal limits" your thyroid is okay. I think its one of the most overlooked things in terms of our overall health. All the illness created by unbalanced thyroid over time is what is treated by our health care system.

Weight and hormones are such an intricate combination. It takes a lot of time and tweaking, for some, to get the answers that work for each individual.

I hope I find someone as caring and knowledgeable as Dr Haltorf while I'm figuring all this out. I got my blood draw yesterday and can't wait to go over the results!

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #41
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JayLynn: How soon do expect to get the results? When I got mine (they post them on my patient portal in an email before I even talk to or see the doctor) I immediately started to research on line. I went to places like the Mayo Clinic site and Webmd to find out details about what the numbers meant.

Even though the lab posts their own normal range numbers and puts a High, Normal, Or Low mark beside each blood test result, I'm still going to keep reading and asking my doctor about it. Because my lab has not switched over to the newer lower numbers.

Keep us posted when you get your blood test results. Hope you can find some answers and get some help.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #42
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Yam, I expect to get my lab results today or tomorrow. I had the draw on Tuesday and it first goes to the place I ordered from so there's an extra step involved. I'm sure they will be posted to my online account soon.

Having worked in health insurance for many many years, I am quite versed in reading doctor and lab reports. I'm aware of the new low numbers and have been researching diligently, thanks to YOU and mentioning the eyebrow thing. I had heard it before, but because my entire brows are very sparse, and not just the last third, I kind of glossed over that at first. But like I said, I am eating better and not overeating at all, so something is off. I still would like (need!) to lose at least 60 more.

I'll definitely let you know what I learn from the bloodwork. I'm really looking forward to solving all this and I finally feel I am on the right track trying to figure all of this out.

Keep us poste on you, too. Did you learn anything about the skin thing? I also wonder if you might need some T3. Its pretty well out there that most people do.

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #43
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Yam, I expect to get my lab results today or tomorrow. I had the draw on Tuesday and it first goes to the place I ordered from so there's an extra step involved. I'm sure they will be posted to my online account soon.

Having worked in health insurance for many many years, I am quite versed in reading doctor and lab reports. I'm aware of the new low numbers and have been researching diligently, thanks to YOU and mentioning the eyebrow thing. I had heard it before, but because my entire brows are very sparse, and not just the last third, I kind of glossed over that at first. But like I said, I am eating better and not overeating at all, so something is off. I still would like (need!) to lose at least 60 more.

I'll definitely let you know what I learn from the bloodwork. I'm really looking forward to solving all this and I finally feel I am on the right track trying to figure all of this out.

Keep us poste on you, too. Did you learn anything about the skin thing? I also wonder if you might need some T3. Its pretty well out there that most people do.
Hi JayLynn: That's great that you understand all the numbers. You have an advantage for sure. I'm definitely still struggling to figure it all out. Now scratching my head about the possible gluten connection and that adds another confusing layer.

On the skin thing I emailed my doctor about it. She immediately responded and called in the prescription I requested which was to go back to the smaller, pink, quick dissolving pills and agreed that the skin thing is indeed a strange and unpleasant reaction. So I think I'm good for now. My skin quickly healed and is all cleared up as soon as I stopped taking the white scratchy higher dose pills.

What a learning curve! I'm finding out what it means to be my own advocate. My doctor seems to appreciate my research and involvement in my own care and treatments. I feel like she really respects me and believes me.

My next blood draw will be in about 5 days but I think it's all about the low sodium problem.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #44
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

How great that you have this doctor! That sure means a lot when trying to figure out this whole thyroid puzzle. Its good to know that your skin has cleared up from the problem you were having. That sounded painful!

If I don't have my results after lunchtime I will call and make sure they are on their way. I'm very eager to get this party started! LOL

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #45
Maripooo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Maripooo
Hello,
This is my first post and I'd like to let everyone know how much I've enjoyed "lurking".

I was misdiagnosed with hyperthyroidism and endured symptoms of hypothyroidism (lethargy, etc.) for one year from the wrong medicine. During that time, at each monthly visit, I'd report how exhausted I was and the dr. would lower the dose of meds until at the end of the year, he said, "You know, you don't need to take these."

Just saying, everyone needs to get at least three opinions from doctors.
Maripooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #46
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maripooo View Post
Hello,
This is my first post and I'd like to let everyone know how much I've enjoyed "lurking".

I was misdiagnosed with hyperthyroidism and endured symptoms of hypothyroidism (lethargy, etc.) for one year from the wrong medicine. During that time, at each monthly visit, I'd report how exhausted I was and the dr. would lower the dose of meds until at the end of the year, he said, "You know, you don't need to take these."

Just saying, everyone needs to get at least three opinions from doctors.
OMG we hear this wayyyyy to much how patients are misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all when it comes to thyroid. And how some doctors just really don't know how to deal with each of our particular symptoms.

I hope you found someone who has helped you relieve your symptoms? I'm thinking maybe "third time a charm?" I will see yet again another new naturopath (I seem to choose between MDs and NDs and I've had no luck so far.)

And laugh a lot!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #47
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

JayLynn - Thanks, I'll be sticking around as I'd like to eventually do a 4:3 or even a 5:2 schedule in the future. I'm sticking with low carb for now and if by a miracle I can begin losing weight, I'll be such a happy camper!

GME - I've googled and saved the site to look at, thank you.

Maripoo - Hi and welcome!! Thanks for your comments and come down out of Lurkdomville!

Yam - I absolutely crack up at your posts, which means I love them! And I could picture Bill Murray saying "staaaaaaay"! I posted my initial blood draw and follow up in the Thyroid Forum if you want to take a peek at my numbers. I PM'd you and JayLynn another site I found that is dedicated to all things thyroid. They've been helpful at figuring out things as well as the posters here.

I'm quickly learning that we will have to be our own advocate when it comes to this doctor stuff. My second blood test had my doc saying my numbers looked good. But when compared with what I've learned, they ain't quite there yet. I'll stay with the dosage/med I started with for another month to see if I'm not as tired as it has made me (seems to be getting better) and if another month might push my TSH down a bit and bring my FT-3 and FT-4 up a bit. If not, I'll need to be persistent and see how we can, based on what I've learned about those numbers!

Eating wise, I was going to try to do a 4:3 schedule this week, but like Yam-Yam, I'm still juggling the eating, vitamins, med thing. As I mentioned, since I eat low carb/keto most all the time, eating up to my UD calories is hard right now.

Oh and Yam, I accidentally bought low or non-fat yogurt awhile back by accident. After eating full fat for so long, it was like I do so much better on full fat everything.

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 11-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #48
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Maripoo! That's awful about the mis-diagnosis!!! Hope you are feeling better and less exhausted now. I don't know how it would work getting 3 opinions with the new health care rules and plans. My deductible is really, really high. ($6300.00 per year. Is that high compared to most? I think so. My premiums are high too!!)

Anyway, they are really picky about what they will approve and what they won't. If they don't approve, I have to pay out of my own pocket and just can't afford everything that might be a good idea. So, I'm trusting my doctor because I hear others talking about how great she is. Crossing fingers! LOL!

Hi 'Nilla! Still not JUDDing or planning to JUDD yet. I'm traveling right now and proud of myself for bringing a cooler with my Fage 2% yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit and some lean meats. I want to stay on track as much as possible. Though next week I will probably eat stuff I shouldn't!!

My sister is coming here from the east coast and we are going to have a week of fun and leisure starting next Monday. I can't wait!! I'm so excited!! We don't get to see each other very often, so I'm super psyched!!!

Right now I'm in Yosemite which is not super far from where I live. However the weather is really different!!! It started raining about 3:00 A.M. this morning and then it turned into a lot of snow around 9:00 A. M. I knew it might rain, but wasn't expecting THIS much rain, freezing cold weather and SNOW!

I pictured myself walking through the beautiful red wood trees with my little umbrella. Ha!! I put my jacket on and went out for about 3 minutes and couldn't handle it at all! Guess I'm not used to weather.

I digress. I will go check the PM!

Old 11-05-2015, 04:42 AM   #49
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Yam, I've switched to taking my pill in the morning when I get up. I kill enough time between taking it and having my BPC. Taking my vitamins at night now with dinner. When I jump back into JUDDD I'll take them with my afternoon snack. Man, rearranging everything around one little pill can be a bit daunting!

Have fun with your sister!

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #50
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yam, I've switched to taking my pill in the morning when I get up. I kill enough time between taking it and having my BPC. Taking my vitamins at night now with dinner. When I jump back into JUDDD I'll take them with my afternoon snack. Man, rearranging everything around one little pill can be a bit daunting!

Have fun with your sister!
Hi 'Nilla! I mentioned the timing thing in my PM to you. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Had an awesome time with my sister, her daughter and others! Turned out to be a wild and fun week all the way around. Now I have lots of work to catch up on and then Jury duty! And then Thanksgiving planning for next week. We shall all press on, right!