Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2015, 05:01 AM   #1
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
Tis me, again!

Ok, JBís, here I am yet again. I took a long break from the boards because I got utterly frustrated with not losing weight. At the beginning of summer, I came back to JUDDD and did EOD rotations (you would have been so proud of me! lol) for about five weeks, although I lurked bug didnít post. I was eating relatively low carb and managed to lose a couple of pounds.

As you might get, those couple of pounds werenít enough to keep me motivated and I went back to everyday eating, but switched to eating keto, lowering those carbs even further. After six weeks eating keto, I had gained 6 lbs.!!! I was tracking, keeping my macros good and cals were roughly between 1200-1400 per day.

Now, for any JUDDD newbies here, the JBís know my story. Tried JUDDD when it first came out years ago and despite my repeated failures, itís really been the only thing Iíve had any success with even it was only a few pounds.

I finally went and had my thyroid tested. My TSH was almost 9.5! The labís high was 4.5, but Leo41 told me her endo says anything above 3.0 is considered hypo. So, Iím just beginning my third week of Synthroid and although I have no illusions that the weight will finally begin falling off, I DO hope once my thyroid is working as it should, I might see better results. My doc started me at 50mcg but Iím sure thatíll dosage will be raised.

So, Iím still eating between keto and regular low carb because I stay so satisfied eating that way and my appetite has been cut considerably. Iím going to do my M/W/F DD schedule as it suits my lifestyle well.

Itís nice to be here again, even though I have been lurking for a few months now!

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
janj
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150+/135/130 (5' 6.5")
WOE: juddd
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Vanilla, it's good to see you back here! I have also returned to the fold after a long break. Glad your thyroid was finally diagnosed. I am sure you will start to feel better. I am also hypo - luckily it was diagnosed over 20 years ago in my case. I am going to join you on the M/W/F DDs - I've been trying to do LC rotations, but not hitting my numbers, so here's to a successful DD for us both
janj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Good Grief, Nilla. I'm delighted that your thyroid has finally been diagnosed but so sorry that it had to involve such a lab reading before it happened.

Keto/LC with some form of IF is a combination that seems to work for a number of people and I hope that it contributes to you feeling better while you establish the correct level of medication.

Best wishes!

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Wow! That's a TSH!

For me, good thyroid treatment will allow you to lose weight, but not cause you to. Beats heck out of dieting and gaining though.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Oh my gosh, that must be incredibly frustrating. I hope now that you have a diagnosis things start looking up (and the scale starts looking down).

Looking at your avatar makes me want a latte.
tara §

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of timesóif one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (191.9/170.9/145)66yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 8/24/15 @191.9)
Nilla! I'm glad you're back! Holy cow! Your thyroid really was outta whack!! I hope the new medication helps to level you out. LC & IF is the only way to eat for me. My body just doesn't do well with all of the wheat & sugar.

I look forward to seeing your progress! I'm newly returning as well. We CAN do this!!

Iíve always wanted to be normal, but lately Iíve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
back! I'm glad you got a dx and tx has begun.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone. It really does feel like family no matter how long I'm gone!

Yeah, I hope once the TSH levels come down I'll see some improvement in several areas. Have no idea how long it's been that high. Next to hopefully some improved weight loss progress, I'd love to see thick, luxurious hair sprouting on my head again!

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Next to hopefully some improved weight loss progress, I'd love to see thick, luxurious hair sprouting on my head again!
I would LOVE that as well! My doctor checked my thyroid & said it was ok. My DH & daughter disagree. But, there's no MD after their names!!

Iíve always wanted to be normal, but lately Iíve come to suspect that this is it.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Nilla! What a joy to see your coffee cup.

What a scary number, I can't imagine how you must have been feeling, and just ploughing on. I really hope you see a rapid improvement and can have some progress on your weight loss. It has always puzzled me how you didn't lose when you were so diligent. ( I know why I don't lose... wine!)

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
I would LOVE that as well! My doctor checked my thyroid & said it was ok. My DH & daughter disagree. But, there's no MD after their names!!
Is he/she an endo or a GP? Mine is a GP although I may end up seeing an endo at some point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Nilla! What a joy to see your coffee cup.

What a scary number, I can't imagine how you must have been feeling, and just ploughing on. I really hope you see a rapid improvement and can have some progress on your weight loss. It has always puzzled me how you didn't lose when you were so diligent. ( I know why I don't lose... wine!)
Aw, thanks, Kissa! I knew there had to be something going on, but after years of being told I was normal (while some might disagree with that assessment ), I fought asking for the more thorough test. Glad I finally did. Now for the adjustments to come in the meds.

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is he/she an endo or a GP? Mine is a GP although I may end up seeing an endo at some point in time.
My doctor is an MD. And it was symptoms I have that he checked it. Actually, I didn't hear anything back. Which in this little town means no news is good news? Maybe I need to see an endo as well. I really hope the new meds help you a lot! I'll be watching you & sending you good vibes!!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My doctor is an MD. And it was symptoms I have that he checked it. Actually, I didn't hear anything back. Which in this little town means no news is good news? Maybe I need to see an endo as well. I really hope the new meds help you a lot! I'll be watching you & sending you good vibes!!
This was actually my first visit to this doctor, but I was clear that I wanted the thyroid test upgrade. I really have very few of the standard symptoms, which is why the high TSH level surprised me.

It may be awhile until I begin seeing results until more bloodwork/meds shows the TSH is coming down. I feel so much better knowing there is a problem and it's being addressed!

We trudge onward!

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-18-2015, 03:11 AM   #14
gotsomeold
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
VANILLA!!!

I am SO glad I had time to visit this forum!

After years of wailing 'Something is wrong! Won't anybody help me?!?!' You got an answer! And it is an answer that actually makes sense!

Oh golly, I could cry with happiness for you!
Changed to LCHF after becoming diabetic in 9/13 (Lost 15 more pounds).
STILL below goal 11/21/15

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #15
LoCarbGal

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
'Nilla! So great to see you, and really, really so great to hear that you have an answer after all this time! I hope you'll be around more again!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 AM   #16
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
VANILLA!!!

I am SO glad I had time to visit this forum!

After years of wailing 'Something is wrong! Won't anybody help me?!?!' You got an answer! And it is an answer that actually makes sense!

Oh golly, I could cry with happiness for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
'Nilla! So great to see you, and really, really so great to hear that you have an answer after all this time! I hope you'll be around more again!
Thanks, ladies! I sure hope I found at least part of the problem! I'm still in the adjusting stages as I'm just beginning my fourth week of meds and need to have a blood test soon to see how it's brought the TSH down any.

Hoping and praying I can see some success this time around.

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #17
FrostyBeav
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 231/217/160
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 9/25/16
I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at the beginning of the year and started taking 75 mcg levothyroxine (generic Synthroid) daily. I was so hoping that it would be the key to unlocking my weight-loss but didn't make the slightest difference and the weight spent most of the year moving in the wrong direction. My numbers normalized so the Dr isn't interested in changing anything.

I hope your luck is better than mine.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #18
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Wow, Nilla!!!

Here we are coming back to JUDD boards about the same time with the same diagnosis!!! I had no idea I was hypothyroid and wouldn't have known except for my new doctor. I've been on Levothyroxine now for 4 weeks, had blood drawn a few days ago and will find out tomorrow morning at the doc's if it's having any effect. I'm suspecting it is for several reasons. One is that my eye brows are growing back!!!

Have you read any of Mary Shomon's books? She is a leading expert and advocate regarding thyroid issues. I bought her book "The Thyroid Diet" which is really NOT a diet book. It's a very educational book about all things thyroid and what you can do to boost thyroid function. Some great ideas and some feel like they are working for me already.

Interesting that one of the prominent diet ideas she promotes is no carb or low carb. And high protein. and fats.

Anyway, love seeing you here! Let's encourage each other through this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Wow! That's a TSH!

For me, good thyroid treatment will allow you to lose weight, but not cause you to. Beats heck out of dieting and gaining though.

Good luck!
Great quote!! I totally get it. My doctor basically said the same thing. I told her my frustration of trying to lose weight in ways that used to work. She actually recommended very low carb, upping protein and feels that along with the thyroid treatment I WILL lose weight. I actually believe her!!! She is very convincing!

Quote:
My doctor did three blood tests. One for T3, one for T4 and one for TSH. And, yes, according to author Mary Shomon the upper limit for TSH is now being changed to 3.0 !!!

Quote:
Thanks, ladies! I sure hope I found at least part of the problem! I'm still in the adjusting stages as I'm just beginning my fourth week of meds and need to have a blood test soon to see how it's brought the TSH down any.

Hoping and praying I can see some success this time around.
with you!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:39 AM   #19
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at the beginning of the year and started taking 75 mcg levothyroxine (generic Synthroid) daily. I was so hoping that it would be the key to unlocking my weight-loss but didn't make the slightest difference and the weight spent most of the year moving in the wrong direction. My numbers normalized so the Dr isn't interested in changing anything.

I hope your luck is better than mine.
I was having the same thing with the weight moving thing. It's utterly frustrating to be doing well and feeling well eating what I eat and still be gaining. Low carb kills my appetite, so I just don't get it. I'm on 50mcg right now (Levothyroxine, generic) and hoping she'll bump me up when I go for my first check in.

What was your TSH level when first tested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Wow, Nilla!!!

Here we are coming back to JUDD boards about the same time with the same diagnosis!!! I had no idea I was hypothyroid and wouldn't have known except for my new doctor. I've been on Levothyroxine now for 4 weeks, had blood drawn a few days ago and will find out tomorrow morning at the doc's if it's having any effect. I'm suspecting it is for several reasons. One is that my eye brows are growing back!!!

Have you read any of Mary Shomon's books? She is a leading expert and advocate regarding thyroid issues. I bought her book "The Thyroid Diet" which is really NOT a diet book. It's a very educational book about all things thyroid and what you can do to boost thyroid function. Some great ideas and some feel like they are working for me already.

Interesting that one of the prominent diet ideas she promotes is no carb or low carb. And high protein. and fats.

Anyway, love seeing you here! Let's encourage each other through this!

Great quote!! I totally get it. My doctor basically said the same thing. I told her my frustration of trying to lose weight in ways that used to work. She actually recommended very low carb, upping protein and feels that along with the thyroid treatment I WILL lose weight. I actually believe her!!! She is very convincing!

My doctor did three blood tests. One for T3, one for T4 and one for TSH. And, yes, according to author Mary Shomon the upper limit for TSH is now being changed to 3.0 !!!

with you!!!
Hi Yam!!! I saw your other thread the other day but didn't have time to stop in.

With being told I was in normal range every time I had a test in years past, I had believed it was just my lot in life to be heavy. Trying to the grave that something, someday would kick in. Every online hypo test I ever did had me only having 1-3 symptoms. My eyebrows are even fine!

I know the meds will not be a magic pill, but I am certainly hoping and praying it will get my thyroid working again so I have a shot at finally losing some weight. I have heard of Mary, started to get her book and will now that I know you've read it and liked it.

My doctor isn't necessarily low carb and was a bit concerned when I told her the amount of fat I eat. I'm on my fourth week of meds, too, but had been told to come back after 6-8 weeks to see if my levels had gone down any. Will get the meds refilled in a few days. The lab they used had 4.4 as the "high" range even though Leo had said her endo said 3.0 is the new range. At 9.5, I'm quite sure I'll get bumped up.

What was your TSH when diagnosed?

Here's to be a hypo sister

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #20
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ha! Ha! Hypo Sistas!!

When diagnosed my TSH was 5.7 and the lab's range says .4-4.5 is "normal.

However my doctor says 3.0 should be the highest for normal and she believes it should be even lower.

I read somewhere, Mayo Clinic web site, maybe? That the government is considering lowering the "high" to 2.0.

And I think my doctor said yesterday she believes the normal range should be between .4 (that's point four) and 1.5 (one point five).

If yours was 9.5 it seems like it was off the charts!! Have you noticed any differences at all in the way you feel? In your appetite? In your mood or energy level? I mean in the 4 weeks you have been on treatment?

All these things feel different to me.

Yesterday doc told me psoriasis is a symptom of hypo and I didn't remember reading that.

I laughed with her about looking up possible side effects of levothyroxine. One web site had a list. Included in it it says "if you have any of the following side effects, call your doctor". Included in that list, right before "crying" was this: "A false sense of happiness and well-being".

I told her I was in Hawaii when I read that and my husband and I laughed. Lying on the beach or floating in the ocean I would look at DH and say, "Do you think I'm having a false sense of happiness and well-being right now?"

If so, keep it comin'! LOL!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

Old 10-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #21
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Guess I should clarify that I've had awful psoriasis on my elbows and on my left shin for years. Nothing works to heal it.

Now the elbows are totally cleared up, like baby skin, and the shin patch of ugly skin is clearing up nicely too. She said it's definitely the thyroid hormone working. Yay!!

Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #22
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Yam, so thrilled you are seeing such positive results so soon! Especially with the psoriasis issue. And that's hilarious about the false sense of well being!!

I may be repeating myself, but Leo is the one who mentioned (in the Thyroid forum) that 3.0 was the "new" high. Almost glad to hear that it's being lowered further. Must indicate that the norm set back in the '70's has finally been recognized as archaic! I need to inform someone close to me that according to what your doc wants to see, that she is indeed hypo.

I've been researching and finding that some say taking Synthroid should be avoided because it's synthetic and to go with Armour. That it doesn't truly stimulate the thyroid and eventually it gets used to the synthetics doing the work and will just fade into the background (my interpretation). That's already set me on alert as that's the last thing I want! Then the next thing I read says either is fine you just need to see which one works better.

I honestly don't know what to look for as to feeling better as I never really fit the hypo profile and have never felt bad! I mean, I've been reading lots and women are talking about feeling bad, how much better they've felt since getting on meds, feeling bad on Synthroid, much better on Armour and vice versa. I do know that I've felt much more tired once I began taking the meds and have itchy ears (that is a side effect of the drug lol). I have four pills left, need to get them refilled, and make an appointment in a couple of weeks to have my first blood test to see if it's brought the TSH down any.

I've also been reading that IF and hypo shouldn't be a problem for most but can for some. Especially when beginning meds as the body is trying to get used to that and that it can add additional stress to be IF'ing (again, my interpretation). This week is my second doing my 4/3 schedule and fourth week of meds. Today is a DD and I'm hungry and shaky. Not typical as eating low carb/keto makes my DDs typically a breeze. I may move to a 5:2 eating or Fast 5 schedule. I'm also finding that, as is typical of me, I'm having a hard time eating up to my UD calories (despite the amount of fat I eat).

Add incredibly tired today to the mix and all I want is FOOD!! So, no I haven't seen any physical indications that that high TSH is coming down!

- Elisabeth Elliot

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 10-23-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Old 10-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #23
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi 'Nilla, I'm sneaking in for a visit. We have our 7 year old staying with us for a few days. Wow, is he ever active! We played every game in our cupboard yesterday, walked to the park then took him to Old Folsom for a fantastic Halloween Carnival last night. It was called "Night of A Thousand Pumpkins". Man it was cool. and Crowded!! Thousands and thousands of people there. Lots of activities and walking, walking, walking.

By 9 pm I thought I was going to fall asleep on my feet! DH and I both slept like rocks last night and the boy actually slept in until 7 this morning. Yesterday He was up and at em before 5 am!!

Today we've already been outside playing baseball, inside ping pong, back gammon, etc, etc. This afternoon we are taking him to another Halloween carnival and parade at our local lake. They have carnival games and all kinds of things going on.

All that to say, I'm tired!!!

But I love, love, love being a grandma!

I agree that you should take a couple of weeks to let your body get used to the TSH hormone. I picked up my first prescription on Sept. 16 right after my doctor's appointment. Then early on the 17th I took the first pill and was soon on a plane for 2 weeks in Hawaii!!

Ha! I was not tempted in any way to try to diet!! So my body had a good 2 week start to get used to it.

Now I've been on the double (50) dose of Levothyroxine for 4 days. I notice one unpleasant side effect. The skin is peeling off an area on my left cheek. (The one on my face ) I woke up and felt like someone was sticking pins in my face. Went into the bathroom to look in the mirror and there were two thin strips of skin starting to roll down my face. And I was bleeding!

Yesterday morning another piece started doing the same thing. It's like my skin is getting thinner and thinner and like when you cook a tomato and the skin starts sliding off, that's how I can describe my face!!

I put some face cream on and a bandade. Hoping that will just go away as my body gets used to the higher dose.

Oh, Mary Shomon does talk about synthetic vs natural hormones and mentions Armour. The impression I get is some people do lots better on the Armour. But you just have to know yourself. Some people do great on Synthroid.

It's kind of trial and error at first.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #24
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/159.2/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
Hi wanted to chime In about the thyroid topic. I have Graves' disease and had a hyper thyroid ,I had a thyroidectomy 2 and half years ago. Here's what I've found, tsh isn't the best indicator your free t3 and free t4 are much more important numbers. If you still feel crappy on just synthiriod you may need to look into getting on t3 meds in addition to it. I take synthroid and cytomel because my body doesn't convert t4 into t3 like it should.

Something you very much need to consider is that thyroid disease is usually due to autoimmune disease( graves , hashimotos) and autoimmune disease begins in the gut, more importantly it's been linked to gluten in the diet. If you have thyroid issues you absolutely need to go off gluten or better yet grain free. Google what you can about it there is a plethora of info out there! Good luck!
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #25
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

I'm still following this thread! Thanks to all of you who are sharing your experiences. This may help me be more "firm" with my doctor in asking for further testing!

Old 10-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #26
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlo1125 View Post
Hi wanted to chime In about the thyroid topic. I have Graves' disease and had a hyper thyroid ,I had a thyroidectomy 2 and half years ago. Here's what I've found, tsh isn't the best indicator your free t3 and free t4 are much more important numbers. If you still feel crappy on just synthiriod you may need to look into getting on t3 meds in addition to it. I take synthroid and cytomel because my body doesn't convert t4 into t3 like it should.

Something you very much need to consider is that thyroid disease is usually due to autoimmune disease( graves , hashimotos) and autoimmune disease begins in the gut, more importantly it's been linked to gluten in the diet. If you have thyroid issues you absolutely need to go off gluten or better yet grain free. Google what you can about it there is a plethora of info out there! Good luck!
Thanks for the informative post. I either never read yet about the gluten-thyroid connection or my mind blocked it out or I skimmed over it. I know NOTHING about gluten-free eating. Where does one start? What's the plan? is it just about reading labels? How did you start gluten-free? Is there a book I need?? TIA

Quote:
I'm still following this thread! Thanks to all of you who are sharing your experiences. This may help me be more "firm" with my doctor in asking for further testing!
Keep us posted. Since I'm pretty new at all of this, I am interested in what is going on with your journey and others too. Any advice or insight from anyone further down the road will be good for me too.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/159.2/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
I would post links but you get blocked around here when you do that ! Google " The Gluten Thyroid Connection by Chris Kresser, it's a pretty informative blog post that explains it.

Gluten free eating is super easy as it seems there are tons of products now that cater to it. It will be On labels and such but basically it's avoiding anything with wheat , rye, and other gluten containing grains. I'm sure there are tons of books on going gluten free out there , Wheat Belly by William Davis is one of the more popular ones. I myself am completely grain free( most of the times) and I made the switch after reading the primal blueprint by mark sisson. But thats more paleo ,all natural and just so happens to be gluten free too.
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #28
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Yam, I got pooped from reading about the adventures with the boy!! Sounds like lots of fun, though, especially this time of year.

Today begins week 5 of the meds. I did speak with my doctor and although we did talk about switching meds, we opted for me to try taking it at bedtime instead of the middle of the night. I'll be doing the first blood test in a couple of weeks to see if it's helped and go from there. Vlo1125, she did mention adding a T3 med. Leo41 had mentioned Hashimoto's (doc never did) and I don't seem to have those symptoms. Of course, I only have 3-4 of the typical hypo symptoms so who knows if I'm straddling the Hashi's fence.

I've been doing lots of researching and still need to get Mary's book on my Kindle. Aside from a few oops, I've been eating low carb/keto so have gotten most of the grains and gluten out of my diet. I still eat yogurt (strained full fat Dannon) but have read conflicting stuff on that. Some places says it's okay, some say it's akin to gluten (the casein) and should be eliminated.

As Murphy's Law runs the show sometimes, I may need to forego JUDDD for now until I get all this under control despite just coming back again. Changing up when I take it means I need to restructure eating and vitamin taking to accommodate the empty stomach/vitamin/synthroid schedule.

Vlo and Shari, glad you're following and appreciate the input! Oh and Shari, yes press! I've been reading (here and elsewhere) that a lot of endos want the lab ranges pushed down even further.

- Elisabeth Elliot

Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #29
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've been doing lots of researching and still need to get Mary's book on my Kindle. Aside from a few oops, I've been eating low carb/keto so have gotten most of the grains and gluten out of my diet. I still eat yogurt (strained full fat Dannon) but have read conflicting stuff on that. Some places says it's okay, some say it's akin to gluten (the casein) and should be eliminated.
I eliminated wheat & sugar from my diet when I began JUDDD again. How did I do it? I just stopped eating it or buying it. Do I check every single label for wheat? Not always. But, when I don't buy many processed foods it isn't an issue. As for yogurt, I still eat it as well. Like you, full fat greek yogurt. I also eat cottage cheese, full fat. I don't have a gluten issue. (that I know of) I just prefer to not eat wheat because it makes me feel better as does sugar elimination. I think yogurt is a YMMV thing.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I eliminated wheat & sugar from my diet when I began JUDDD again. How did I do it? I just stopped eating it or buying it. Do I check every single label for wheat? Not always. But, when I don't buy many processed foods it isn't an issue. As for yogurt, I still eat it as well. Like you, full fat greek yogurt. I also eat cottage cheese, full fat. I don't have a gluten issue. (that I know of) I just prefer to not eat wheat because it makes me feel better as does sugar elimination. I think yogurt is a YMMV thing.
I so agree about feeling better when not eating wheat and especially sugar. When a weak moment gets the best of me, I can sure tell it later. Glad my weak moments have become less as time goes on.

When I was doing Atkins '72, I eliminated the yogurt and even the cream for a short time and saw/felt no difference. I love my little yogurt concoction, so I'm quite sure it'll be staying.

- Elisabeth Elliot