Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Long time not here!! :)

Hi JUDD Buds, It's been a very long time since I've logged in or posted. Occasionally I pop in and read through some of the daily chat.

Today is a rare rainy day in northern CA and it's nice just catching up a bit on how you are doing.

Seabreezes and I and our DHs had a couple of fun times getting together in Hawaii a few weeks ago and when she mentioned the JUDD boards it kinda made me "home sick" for the JUDDers!

I've had over a year of health problems including major surgery in November. I spent Thanksgiving in the hospital. Since the surgery, I have gained 30 pounds and I'm not too happy about it. But I figured my most important "job" was to heal first and tackle the lard afterward.

A few months ago I had some routine blood tests and my doctor was quite alarmed to find I had severe hyponatremia. (I had no idea what it was until she explained it). My body does not hold on to sodium. My numbers were so low as to be in the danger zone where she said if we didn't figure out what was going on, I would begin having siezures. She looked back over years of records from my files when we lived in the country home and said my sodium has been going down for years.

Fast forward to mid September and she discovered I have hypothyroidism. She said I have quite likely had it for many years but was never tested by my previous health care providers. Low thyroid can cause low sodium. Who knew??

So, I've been on a thyroid hormone since Sept. 15th and will be seeing the doc Tuesday to find out results of recent blood tests and how it's working.

I'm reading a lot now about thyroid issues. Author, Mary Shomon, is very informative.

Strangely enough I'm starting to lose weight. Shomon says that does not usually happen just from taking Levothyroxine or any thyroid meds. But sometimes it does.

So, I wanted to come here and visit and up-date those who may have wondered where I disappeared to. Hopefully I will find more time to join in on all the fun here in days to come.

Hugs to all who remember me and to those who have become part of the JUDD family in my absence.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
gotsomeold
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
LOL, I have not posted in months. And, first visit in a looong time, I find Yam-Yam!

I am so sad you have been dealing with medical issues. But glad your current doctor realized something fundamental is going on. Hopefully you are now on the road back to health.

Hugs!
Changed to LCHF after becoming diabetic in 9/13 (Lost 15 more pounds).
STILL below goal 11/21/15

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I'm so delighted that you could give us an update, YamYam. You've been sorely missed.

Goodness, you've had some trials. Very best wishes for a smoother present and future.

It's Old Home Week, seeing you as well, Nancy.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So cool to hear from two of my favorite peeps!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

Old 10-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
Welcome back YamYam, praying that all goes well from now on for you! Thanks for posting.

Nice to see Nancy too!

You both have been missed.

Sending
Old 10-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (191.9/170.9/145)66yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 8/24/15 @191.9)
YamYam!! It's good to hear from you!! I'm so sorry you've been going thru such awful health issues! I'm sending good vibes your way for healing & strength. And you're so right! Heal, then tackle the poundage. I'm back taking off weight I've lost more than once! But, our JB's are always so welcoming!! Aren't we lucky!?

And, Nancy, I'm so happy to "see" you here!! You were one of the first people to PM me when I first came here, to the JUDDD forum, in 2012. I think of you often! How are you?

Until I came back a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know that so many of our JB's had left temporarily. I am so glad to see y'all returning. Feels like home to me!!

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Patkid
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/166.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
YamYam, I admit to tears reading posts from you and Nancy!
I am so very happy for the chance to thank you for all the support you both provided while I lost on JUDDD in '14.
Thank you so much for the updates.
I am so sorry to read of your health issues but am glad to see that things seem to be improving.
Many blessings and many thanks.
P

"My boots are old and my coat is torn.
I am no longer young and not half perfect"

quoting Poet, Mary Oliver.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Yam and Nancy, how wonderful to "see" you again!

Sorry to hear about all the NOT fun stuff that has happened, Yam, but so happy that its all improving. Sounds like you found a good doctor?

Now if Dawn would peek in, it would seem like old home week around here!

Hugs to you both!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:37 AM   #9
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Yamster! What a lovely surprise. We have missed you and worried about you and are so thrilled to hear from you.

Really sorry to know how poorly you have been, but how good that your doctor has now found out how to help you. And that you are losing weight!

And Nancy too! Our cup runneth over.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Hi Yam-Yam!!!! It's so nice to hear from you, but sorry your health has not been too good. I'm sending for a speedy recovery.

Nancy- It's so nice to see you here, too!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #11
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Yam and Nancy, how wonderful to "see" you again!

Sorry to hear about all the NOT fun stuff that has happened, Yam, but so happy that its all improving. Sounds like you found a good doctor?

Now if Dawn would peek in, it would seem like old home week around here!

Hugs to you both!
Thanks for the warm, warm welcome back. You all are the BEST!

About my doctor. Yes. Two things necessitated my finding a new doctor. One was the move back to our family home from the boonies over 100 miles away. The other was a new health care plan and having to find a doctor in the approved network.

I had planned to get around to it, but when I was rushed to the hospital with an emergency situation in July of 2014 (which started all the serious health stuff and eventually led to surgery) that pushed me into doing it right away.

My new doctor is really thorough, knowledgeable and very caring. I think I love her!! lol! I never knew in the past to ask for thyroid tests nor did I know the symptoms of low thyroid other than weight gain. I was always told my weight gain was probably due to menopause and aging.

One of the weirdest symptoms I saw on a list when I was researching after the diagnose is the loss of the outer third of my eyebrows!!! That has been bothering me for several years and I've had to draw them in. Isn't that strange? I thought again it was just from getting older. But low and behold it is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.

My doctor says the weight gain is definitely connected to low thyroid as well. She believes when we get it all figured out, my weight will go down. And, as I said, it's already starting. A modest 5 pound loss so far. But at least it's something!

And, my eyebrows are starting to grow back. It's magic. And I can only attribute it to the thyroid hormone.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds like you've found the perfect doctor to help you get back to better health. I remember all you went through last year. And now you're on the other side of all that. Yay!

It really is good to hear from you again. We all have missed you and were happy to hear from Seabreezes that you had visited and are doing well.

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
LoCarbGal

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Wow, so wonderful to hear from both Yam-Yam and Nancy! Jumping up and down happy here!

Yam, I'm so sorry you've been struggling with health issues all this time, but so glad you've found a fantastic doctor and that she is catching and treating you well.

Nancy, I've missed you and your insightful posts. Will you be hanging around with us again?

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #14
theredhead
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/158/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I'm glad to see you back, too. I don't post much, but I lurk. I'm just plugging along, same as usual. Sorry about your health problems, but I'm so glad you have a good doctor to get you back on track!
DH has lost 90 pounds
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Feels good to be back!

I may not do ADF right away. I'm going to stick to low carb/ higher protein per my doctor's recommendation and hope for great results. I'm pretty optimistic right now.

Tomorrow is my first dr. app't since starting the thyroid hormone 4 weeks ago. Can't wait to hear the results of recent blood work on that.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #16
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

You are very lucky to have a good doctor who is willing to work with you on the thyroid. I've been researching and reading a lot about hypothyroidism recently because I might be having some symptoms, that of course my doctor pretty much dismisses because she thinks my blood work is "normal". I get so frustrated with these "professionals" that just won't listen when you know you're not some crazy hypochondriac dreaming up stuff. When they say " the numbers look fine we'll keep an eye on it", I could just scream.
I'm trying to find a practitioner who has the latest information and will work with me on this.
One reason I highly suspect I have some kind of thyroid issue is I stick pretty much to HDE, eating carbs mostly in vegetables only. I eat my good fats and proteins in moderation. I eat far less food than before I lost the 75. This WOE makes me feel more energy and have more stable moods. But I'm losing weight very very slowly even with these habits. I also have thinning hair, occasional vertigo, and joint pain. None are to any alarming degree but I sure don't want them to become irreversible!
I am so happy for you that you found this doctor. I hope to have the same success very soon!

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #17
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JayLynn: I do too!! I hope you find someone like I have. In the mean time, read Mary Shomon's book "The Thyroid Diet". I got it for my Kindle and have been highlighting and marking pages like crazy.

One thing of interest to you might be her recommendation of a company that works with you to do self testing.

Besides giving you all kinds of details on the newest ranges and numbers, she says you can save money by contacting this medical lab. They give the orders to your local lab for the blood draw and your local lab sends the results to them. They then post them to your site or email them or whatever.

When I get a chance I will get that quote from my Kindle and give you the detailed information.

If you are sticking with your current doctor, my advice is to do as much research as possible. Print out and high light relevant information and bring it with you to your next appointment.

Quotes from Shomon's book will be good! She talks about how doctors dismiss patient's symptoms or refuse to give more than a minimal test.

Be your own advocate. My daughter constantly drums that into my head! And never give up until you find the answers!!

Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #18
Patkid
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/166.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I just want to say how much it means to me to see you posting, yamster.
I just love you!

"My boots are old and my coat is torn.
I am no longer young and not half perfect"

quoting Poet, Mary Oliver.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #19
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
JayLynn: I do too!! I hope you find someone like I have. In the mean time, read Mary Shomon's book "The Thyroid Diet". I got it for my Kindle and have been highlighting and marking pages like crazy.

One thing of interest to you might be her recommendation of a company that works with you to do self testing.

Besides giving you all kinds of details on the newest ranges and numbers, she says you can save money by contacting this medical lab. They give the orders to your local lab for the blood draw and your local lab sends the results to them. They then post them to your site or email them or whatever.

When I get a chance I will get that quote from my Kindle and give you the detailed information.

If you are sticking with your current doctor, my advice is to do as much research as possible. Print out and high light relevant information and bring it with you to your next appointment.

Quotes from Shomon's book will be good! She talks about how doctors dismiss patient's symptoms or refuse to give more than a minimal test.

Be your own advocate. My daughter constantly drums that into my head! And never give up until you find the answers!!
Ahhh Yam thanks for the wonderful advice! I know I will get to the bottom of this because I won't stop trying to find the right answers for me. I got the name of a naturopath about 40 minutes from me that does thyroid testing and claims to work WITH her patients to find the right things to do. Thyroid is such a tricky little bugger! which of course makes it hard and takes some time to solve the problems. I just now came online to print out her new patient form and also write down the thyroid panel I need. I suspect this is the one she starts with anyway.
I don't plan to see my old doctor again. I think I have to change anyway because of new insurance next year. Ive never really found a good primary care that I can work with. Sometimes they start out listening to me, but after while most of them end up prescribing by lab numbers and following the good ol' medical books.
So wish me luck. I'll keep you posted and I sure do want to hear about how this all goes for you.
I never really understood the importance of the thyroid because I was always told my numbers were within "normal" limits. Now its clear that now only does a doctor need to look at the numbers, but also seriously listen to symptoms and go from there.
So happy you are posting again. You have really confirmed what I suspected was going on with me for awhile now.

Lots of good info also on hypothyroidmom website. There is TONS of info out there on this, just need to week through it!

And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 10-20-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #20
Carly

I'm in the process of working with my PCP to get a full thyroid panel drawn. I suspect mine has been off for about a year.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Carly

Just found out that the lab order is in for "a full thyroid panel". Not 100% sure what that entails, but will go tomorrow.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #22
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
Yam!!! I just posted in my "back again" thread!

My only thyroid symptoms were weight gain/no loss and thin hair. I finally went to a GP (first visit) and asked for a full panel. Don't know if she ran the uptake, reverse stuff, but my TSH came back right at 9.5. And my eyebrows are all there!

I really want to go to an endo because I have a feeling once I get down to the lab's "normal" range (4.4 or below), she'll be happy. But now that I've heard 3.0 and below is the range, I hope I can still push for that.

As I put in the other thread, I will get Mary's book.

Here's to both of us being back - again!

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #23
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkid View Post
I just want to say how much it means to me to see you posting, yamster.
I just love you!
Awwwwee... Pat That one sentence just melted my heart! I love you too and it feels good to be back and feeling like being back. If you know what I mean! I was not posting because I felt like I didn't have anything to offer and I've been dealing with so many things and just trying to hang in there and stay positive. I feel really, really good right now and hope this feeling will last a loooooooong time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Ahhh Yam thanks for the wonderful advice! I know I will get to the bottom of this because I won't stop trying to find the right answers for me. I got the name of a naturopath about 40 minutes from me that does thyroid testing and claims to work WITH her patients to find the right things to do. Thyroid is such a tricky little bugger! which of course makes it hard and takes some time to solve the problems. I just now came online to print out her new patient form and also write down the thyroid panel I need. I suspect this is the one she starts with anyway.
I don't plan to see my old doctor again. I think I have to change anyway because of new insurance next year. Ive never really found a good primary care that I can work with. Sometimes they start out listening to me, but after while most of them end up prescribing by lab numbers and following the good ol' medical books.
So wish me luck. I'll keep you posted and I sure do want to hear about how this all goes for you.
I never really understood the importance of the thyroid because I was always told my numbers were within "normal" limits. Now its clear that now only does a doctor need to look at the numbers, but also seriously listen to symptoms and go from there.
So happy you are posting again. You have really confirmed what I suspected was going on with me for awhile now.

Lots of good info also on hypothyroidmom website. There is TONS of info out there on this, just need to week through it!
Thyroid, as you say, is tricky. And I've learned it affects every area of the body. It completely controls how we digest and process fats and carbohydrates. (when thyroid is low, all fats and carbs are stored as fat). It rules how we use all food for energy and dictates the state of the body's metabolism. Even our body temperature is controlled by the thyroid. Who knew?

I'm glad you are now on a journey to get some answers. Keep reading, researching and learning. I hope and pray you can find a great primary doctor. Keep me posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm in the process of working with my PCP to get a full thyroid panel drawn. I suspect mine has been off for about a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Just found out that the lab order is in for "a full thyroid panel". Not 100% sure what that entails, but will go tomorrow.
I think I just had TSH, T3 and T4 tested. But I'm not sure I looked up everything on the blood panel at the time. I have gone back now and looked up a lot of things like chloride, ALT, AST, etc. Quite interesting to find out what all these tests are for. The day the lab drew my blood to test for thyroid and other things, they took six full vials of blood!
I think that's the most I've ever had drawn for blood work. Let us know when you get your results, K? Hope you get some answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Yam!!! I just posted in my "back again" thread!

My only thyroid symptoms were weight gain/no loss and thin hair. I finally went to a GP (first visit) and asked for a full panel. Don't know if she ran the uptake, reverse stuff, but my TSH came back right at 9.5. And my eyebrows are all there!

I really want to go to an endo because I have a feeling once I get down to the lab's "normal" range (4.4 or below), she'll be happy. But now that I've heard 3.0 and below is the range, I hope I can still push for that.

As I put in the other thread, I will get Mary's book.

Here's to both of us being back - again!
Yes! Here's to being back -- again!! Yesterday my doctor told me 3.0 is the new "high" and was established in 2003-04. So it should be the standard for all labs but obviously it's not. Just glad my doc is so up on everything. She really seems to be impressed and pleased with all the research I do and she never seems rushed. She really listens and responds very sincerely and intelligently to everything I say. I like it!!

By the way she rejoiced with me about my eyebrows and my skin. I've had psoriasis on my elbows and on my left leg(shin) for about 6 years and it's so stubborn. Low and behold after 4 weeks on Levothyroxine my skin is cleared up (my elbows are like baby skin right now. So soft and beautiful!!) and, of course I have complete eyebrows!

So glad you still have yours! My hair is thinner than it used to be, but my hair was so darn super thick all my life that I have not minded having it be a bit thinner.

My doctor was so happy with how my body is responding to the thyroid hormone but she said my numbers are still not low enough. So, she doubled my prescription and I'll have another blood test in six weeks.

Now I'm going to go read your thread. Yay! We are back!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 10-21-2015 at 09:52 AM..
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #24
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I haven't been online for a few days so missed your return! So glad to hear your are feeling better!

Hugs
Old 10-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #25
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hugs back at you my Hawaii friend!!