Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2014, 03:31 AM   #301
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Carly, random anecdote of the sort that is no use in forming others' expectations and life-plans. - A friend of mine had damaged her tubules and was not able to conceive - for much of her life this didn't both her until she met her 3rd husband and desperately wanted a child with him.

To cut a long story short, she was 43, he was in his 60s - her very first cycle worked for her and produced the sort of child you expect to see in magazines as a supermodel when she's of an appropriate age/mind and also a significant researcher (very smart). It's been very rough in patches but it's also been the unlooked for revelation of their lives to both of them to become parents at such a comparatively advanced age (tho' I realise your DW has definitely Been There, Done That etc. - but not with you ).
Thanks- SS

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #302
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Yam-Yam, so sorry you have to have surgery, and hope you won't have to interrupt your travel plans for it. Please keep us posted.

KeirasMom, thank you for the link to PJ's thread. This is terrible news. I hope the varmint who hit her has good insurance--she doesn't need financial pain in addition to the physical pain she has to be going through, and will continue to go through during what will no doubt be a long recovery period involving a lot of physical therapy. I just wish there were something we could do for her in addition to praying.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #303
E.W.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I haven't been able to get back with it for a long time now. I
was thinking of going back with low carb and wonder what %
of us here combine low carb and JUDDD.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #304
Catalinagal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catalinagal
E.W., I don't know about the others, but because I have been vlc for many years, it was only natural that I would combine it with the JUDDD plan when I started. Perhaps it has been easier because I am used to the methodical counting of macronutrients, so adding a calorie count just extended what I have been doing.

Maybe you could start a new thread?
Catalinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #305
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Quite a number of people use both LC and JUDDD. Very successfully too.

I don't myself but I did at the beginning.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #306
Snackycake
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 174/166.6/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Postpartum Restart 10/30/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I haven't been able to get back with it for a long time now. I
was thinking of going back with low carb and wonder what %
of us here combine low carb and JUDDD.
I'm combing LC and JUDDD, with great success so far! I started LC in July of this year, and added JUDDD about 2 or 3 weeks ago. In a way, I don't think I'd have had the confidence to try something like JUDDD without going LC first, but since my appetite was already suppressed anyway from being in ketosis, it was fairly easy to just dive right into my first DD relatively painlessly.
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #307
Snackycake
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snackycake
Stats: 174/166.6/135
Start Date: Postpartum Restart 10/30/17
Ugh, the above is meant to say "combining" LC and JUDDD, not "combing."Not sure how one would "comb" any particular WOE . . . maybe by doing excessive research?!
Snackycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #308
destin92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: destin92
Stats: 203/143/125
WOE: counting cals, Low carb, interested in JUDDD
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I recently found your boards, learned about JUDDD and began following the plan on Sat. So far I'm loving it. You guys are wonderfully motivating!
destin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #309
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by destin92 View Post
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I recently found your boards, learned about JUDDD and began following the plan on Sat. So far I'm loving it. You guys are wonderfully motivating!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #310
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Partyof8
Stats: 348/231/170
WOE: Low Carb, Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Began journey March '14 Break '15 restart: Jan '16
Hi Destin! Welcome to the boards. This is the best group of ladies out here, as you'll see!

About the diet talk - I've been off any sort of plan since the 8th. I'm hovering at 303 today after being 301 last week, but part of that I am sure is my wonky 'period'.

I was really happy when I put on a coat to see if I should donate it or not and before when it had been snug and unzippable, actually overlapped at the zipper and fit well. It got tossed though, sleeves too short. I have long arms so thats a pet peeve of mine!

I am trying to declutter the house. With 7 people all having different interests, clothing styles, shoes, seasonal items blahblahblah I really just need to prune so much.
Part of the problem is DH and I try to be master recyclers, with an eye on re-using first. This = packrat, clutter monkeys.

So far I have 20 bags of clothing alone to donate! My goal is to lose 1/3 of our home. Part of me feels so wasteful getting rid of stuff 'in case' we need it. Living rural it isn't like there is a target or walmart without a 4 hour drive to replace...but, I'm working through it!

My goal for the rest of this month and November is to:

- Eat when I'm hungry, not 'just because its x time"
- Have IF as a goal- eat dinner.
- Work through the whole house getting rid of things and then organizing.

I am really hoping to do all of this so I can make a more peaceful home.

Baby turns 1 next week, and I finally feel like I am coming out of the post partum slump.
For some other good news, that size 18 denim skirt slid more up my body than previously!

Restart after baby: 285 on 1/18/16 - lost 54 pounds since!
117 pounds total
Today, I will just do my very best.
Partyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #311
Catalinagal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catalinagal
De-cluttering is one of the hardest things for me because there are so many "treasures". When my MIL, mother and sister left with the angels, I inherited many, many and it is hard to part with them. I find now that I am older, the push to recycle much of the house is becoming a necessity, I sure don't want my kids to have to find homes for everything. My son jokingly (?) said "don't worry mom, we'll just hire a dumpster or two". It may come to that

So...PO7, you are doing a good thing whether you are rural or not, remember, soon enough the teen years will be upon you and ummmm....talk about stuff! Besides, one of the benefits of going through stuff is it takes our mind off food, if only for short spurts of time.
Catalinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #312
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I love, love, love to declutter.

I have never been a "stuff" person, but watching my mom try to deal with two households worth of stuff when my grandparents passed has cemented that feeling. I have actually thought to myself while contemplating buying something at the store, "Someone will have to get rid of this when I die" and put it back on the shelf.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #313
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
I feel i must tell everyone here about skin cancer!! If you ever have a pink spot that comes and then goes away and then comes and goes away go to the DR. This happened to me over 2 years coming and going, leaving for months at a time too!

Here is the latest about my skin cancer: In July I had a biopsy on a spot on my nose, it was done by a dermatologist, this came back Basal Cell Cancer, then I went to see the surgeon who was recommended by the derm dr. He said mine was not an emergency and surgery was done the end of Sept.. I went back to see the surgeon at 4 weeks and asked about the lab results which were done twice - once during surgery and then it was sent to another lab. Results showed no cancer! Of course I am happy to hear that, but why did I even have the surgery then???? I asked why and he told me that was because I did have cancer, yet the lab results on day of surgery says no cancer was found! The PA told me that it could be that my immune system just fought off the cancer cells! I have never heard of that, has anyone here?? I now question why another biopsy was not done before I had the surgery?

I had no stitches at all, was given aqualcel to use once a day and that filled up the hole on my nose. The spot is healing nicely, but still a bit red. The spot removed was about 1/4" by 1/3" ( the size of a dry black bean )and about the depth of the thickness of a dime.

I hate to complain about this but I am puzzled about it. I was told I am to see the dermatologist in 6 months because this type of cancer can come back, maybe in the same spot and maybe somewhere else! Sorry to go on and on about this, but I just wanted to post here as this group is like family to me!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #314
KeirasMom

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/156.8/155
WOE: Back to JUDDD 1/5/15
Leona, that leaves me . Maybe you are just such a fine specimen of womanly health that the cancer got scared and ran away knowing you'd beat it into submission?

I'm glad to hear all's well, and I'm sorry you went through all that and it may or may NOT have even been cancer!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #315
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Leona, that leaves me . Maybe you are just such a fine specimen of womanly health that the cancer got scared and ran away knowing you'd beat it into submission?

I'm glad to hear all's well, and I'm sorry you went through all that and it may or may NOT have even been cancer!

I believe I did have skin cancer and that when the Derm DR removed some skin she took off all the cancer too??!!?? I wonder if this is how all skin cancer is treated?? I checked on line about his but did not find a thing about doing more then one biopsy!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #316
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
I believe I did have skin cancer and that when the Derm DR removed some skin she took off all the cancer too??!!?? I wonder if this is how all skin cancer is treated?? I checked on line about his but did not find a thing about doing more then one biopsy!
I think the plan is to remove all the cancer and a bit of the perimeter, when removing skin cancer. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not totally sure, but if you call the doctor and ask for clarification I'm sure he/she won't mind.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #317
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Leona, that is wonderful news!!!! Just the best...

However, I'm a little confused also. I don't quite understand all the new cancer therapies out there, even having just done some of this with DH. Carly's explanation is the only thing I can think would fit. Does any of this shed some light?

Quote: The recommendation is to treat even small BCCs (and many squamous cell carcinomas) in critical areas of the face with Mohs surgery. In this technique, the surgeon removes the entire visible portion of the tumor, then carefully maps where the tissue was removed from the surgical site so that under a microscope, it can be determined exactly where any as-yet-unremoved skin cancer is located. Thin tissue samples are then removed one by one, each sample mapped and then examined to see if any traces of cancer yet remain. This precision produces high cure rates and preserves the maximum amount of healthy tissue. Patients should also consider Mohs surgery when a BCC has recurred, or has an aggressive growth pattern or poorly defined borders.

from Ask the expert...
Please let us know..

117 pounds total
Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #318
KeirasMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I think the plan is to remove all the cancer and a bit of the perimeter, when removing skin cancer. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not totally sure, but if you call the doctor and ask for clarification I'm sure he/she won't mind.
My poor pup who's having tumors removed soon is having a similar procedure done. The vet said he's going to remove the tumor and a wide section of skin on either side of, and as deep as they can go, to make sure they got it all, even before they send it to pathology. I imagine the procedure is the same in people.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #319
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

6 foods that help fight disease | Fox News
Old 10-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #320
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I deleted the lengthy essay I wrote on cancer

Some forms of cancer now resemble chronic illnesses that can be managed. One of the reasons for this is that there can be several different genetic variations present within a single cancer tumour - for this reason, when a tumour is sampled, a particular pattern might be identified that is sensitive to a specific treatment. Sometimes, it will work - other times it might appear not to work. One of the explanations in the latter case is that the specific type of genetic expression in the tumour was successfully targeted by the treatment, but the tumour remains because it's made up of different genetic variations that aren't susceptible to that targeted treatment.

Altho' a lot of resources go into identifying cancer at an early stage, the major challenge now is to know when to opt for watchful waiting. The reality seems to be that as we age, the maths dictate that we'll all have some aberrant genes that go a little rogue and, over time, form something that could be identified as a cancerous tumour. The thing is, for most of us, these cancers remain indolent (as it's known) and can either lie dormant for decades before causing a problem or actually be the sort that never causes a problem. In those cases, it might be as well to leave them alone - the thing is, there's no way to distinguish those tumours at present. (In the absence of a tumour growing in a deeply inconvenient place and causing other problems such as blockages or pressing on nerves.)

So, there are types of tumour that can be sequenced and have a targeted treatment. When it comes to skin cancer, because dermatology believes it has a reasonably good knowledge of those, with well-specified stages, they have best practice protocols that they must follow. In your case, the best practice may well have been to remove the spot - even with a history of something that appears and disappears. As Carly and the others say, your surgeon or dermatologist are the best placed people to reassure you on this matter.

Beyond that, there is an 'immunological response and management' idea among some cancer specialists that we probably won't know the 'truth' about for some time. In the same way as being chronically exposed to low levels of some viruses can keep our immune systems primed to mount an appropriate response to greater exposure to that virus - there's an idea that perhaps the endocrine and other signals sent out by indolent tumours somehow suppresses the development of more aggressive or active tumours elsewhere.

So, Leonak, it's not completely implausible that you might have a history of developing and then disposing of a cancerous skin lesion via your own immune system. However, once such a lesion is identified, there is a need to remove the surrounding tissue because that is the current state of knowledge.

Still probably more than you needed to know on some of the befuddling issues that bedevil research in this area.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #321
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My poor pup who's having tumors removed soon is having a similar procedure done. The vet said he's going to remove the tumor and a wide section of skin on either side of, and as deep as they can go, to make sure they got it all, even before they send it to pathology. I imagine the procedure is the same in people.
Oh, Dawn. I'm sorry I missed responding to all of your posts in my state of self-involvement. Poor puppy. How many does he have? and will it cure him (her?) ?

117 pounds total
Old 10-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #322
KeirasMom

I thought it was just one big one (on her gums at her tooth line), but the vet found another smaller one, so 2 total. The fact that they're in her mouth is what makes it tricky. There's not exactly a lot of extra skin to sew back together once they remove the growths. She's a trooper, and will be fine I'm sure. Thanks for asking. She's a love-bug (the red boxer/mastiff in my avitar).

Old 10-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #323
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Thanks everyone for the hugs and well-wishes!

I really liked the surgeon. He is very thorough and very experienced. He said this surgery is "urgent" so I cannot put it off too long. I had wanted to wait 'til January. He said it would be ok to wait until after November 16th. That's when I get back from visiting my cute little grandsons (and cute DS and his DW) in southern CA.

The scheduling nurse from surgeon's office is supposed to call today to set up the date.

Seabreezes: Sorry you had to have another hand surgery. Hope the healing is going well and that the end results will be even better than expected.

I like reading the de-cluttering talk. We brought so much stuff from our other house which is still in escrow, but it's all emptied out now.

Thankfully the monthly charity donation truck came Tuesday morning last week and we put a huge load of stuff out for them. Clothing, appliences, books, books, books. (My husband thought I was nuts for having so many books. ha!)

Anyway, we had half a garage full of boxes and now it's more like one third. Some of that still has to be donated. Some has to go right into the trash! Some goes to my DDs. She needs towels, sheets, etc.

She already took a huge truck load of furniture and other stuff. Some to use, and the rest to a garage sale she had last weekend which will continue into this weekend.

Man, I had just been feeling good about all the de-cluttering I had accomplished here at our family home. Now it seems with all the in-coming that it is never going to end! And, I don't have the energy to deal with it all.

One day at a time!!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #324
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Loving thoughts going out for PJ. I just read her thread. So hoping that she is getting the best care. She will have a long recovery from all her injuries.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #325
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm trying to catch up on reading what you all have been up to. I so hate to miss anything! But, I don't think I'll be able to totally catch up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Not as disappointed as the thieves who stole my FIL's man bag.

Like most men, his wife ended up carrying everything that wouldn't fit in his pockets. However, she put her foot down and insisted that he started carrying a man bag after he had an ileostomy.

So, the thieves made off with his man bag which solely contained his spare stoma care dressings, spare bag etc....and his clinical waste bag for his, ahem, waste items, while he was out and about...
'

Hilarious!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Slow, oh, how I wish I'd been a fly on the wall when those thieves opened your FIL's man bag!

Yam-Yam, having had to sell a beloved house and leave a beloved location (as well as cherished friends going back to my teens), my heart goes out to you. But as you say, sometimes it's time for the chapter to be over and for us to move on to the next. Was this your primary residence or a second home?
For 8 years, yes. DH was offered a great job as CFO of a telecom company but the location was 100 miles away. Too far for him to commute back and forth every day. We thought about renting, but not much of a selection. Small, old, smelly, you get the picture!!!

So, we decided to purchase a new build on 2 acres with a beautiful mountain view, all fenced in. Big, beautiful home. We hosted lots of family gatherings and made many wonderful memories there.

We kept our family home and used it on weekends and for extended stays during the summer because of our in ground pool and beautiful park like yard.

Anyway!!! I became very attached to that house!! Loved it in every way. Our family home is smaller, but cozy.

The new buyers for our rural house have not completely gotten their finances in order, so I'm surely hoping all goes well in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannysmith View Post
Now there's some karma for ya!

A couple I know got pick-pocketed within minutes of arriving in London...my friend was showing me her vacation pics, which included one right around the time it happened, they're doing a selfie at the train station, in their brand-new bright blue and red LLBean jackets, right in front of a "Beware of Pickpockets" sign. Might as well have been wearing a bullseye...
Oh, my!!! How ironic!!

Old 10-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #326
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Quote:
I know about the cancer removal from cats that have had tumors removed- most recently Simba had a tumor removed from his leg. The vet said that they would remove the tumor and perimeter to ensure they got it all.

Gosh, it's been a year or so and he has been totally fine and no recurrance of the tumor (I check his leg regularly). His skinny little leg doesn't have much extra skin either, but he came home with the cone of shame that he wore for 2 long weeks until the stitches were removed.

I'm saying a puppy prayer for your pup Dawn.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #327
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Yam Yam, sorry your surgery has to be so soon. However, maybe it is better to get it over with, heal and then get on with happier things. Praying it will be the solution to the problem.

My hand is coming along. It is still weaker than I would like, but I'm a bit impatient!

Many
Old 10-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #328
Kissa

Yam-Yam we will all be thinking of you as you go through this. And sooner rather than later in my humble opinion.

Your accident must be 2.5 years ago now Seabreezes? I am so sorry you are still going through operations, but I am sure you are getting wonderful treatment. It does make one fear for dear Piratjenny. What a nightmare.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #329
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Yam-Yam we will all be thinking of you as you go through this. And sooner rather than later in my humble opinion.

Your accident must be 2.5 years ago now Seabreezes? I am so sorry you are still going through operations, but I am sure you are getting wonderful treatment. It does make one fear for dear Piratjenny. What a nightmare.
Yes, the accident was May, 2012. I am heartsick for PJ knowing what I went through. She is a fair bit younger than I am, so might not have some of the problems I have with arm - hand mobility now. We can only pray for her.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #330
Kissa

Indeed. Quite horrifying.