Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #91
JulieC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JulieC
Start Date: February 17, 2014
I'm hoping to get some words of wisdom here :-) My goal is to get to 140 and right now I'm kind of stuck hovering around 153. My DD are going very well (doing EOD) but on my UDs I'm tending to overeat, I think. I usually just eat "normal" food, whatever I cook for my family but it's hard to count calories for a casserole. Do you all eat pretty much the same things on UDs?

So much of this is a mind game! I lost about 27 pounds over this year using HCG and am kind of in my "comfort zone" where I feel pretty good about my weight and it's so easy to talk myself into eating too much. But doggone it, I want to get to my goal! I'm sabotaging myself and just staying at the same place. How do you motivate yourselves to keep going?
JulieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #92
KeirasMom
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/156.8/155
WOE: Back to JUDDD 1/5/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieC View Post
I'm hoping to get some words of wisdom here :-) My goal is to get to 140 and right now I'm kind of stuck hovering around 153. My DD are going very well (doing EOD) but on my UDs I'm tending to overeat, I think. I usually just eat "normal" food, whatever I cook for my family but it's hard to count calories for a casserole. Do you all eat pretty much the same things on UDs?

So much of this is a mind game! I lost about 27 pounds over this year using HCG and am kind of in my "comfort zone" where I feel pretty good about my weight and it's so easy to talk myself into eating too much. But doggone it, I want to get to my goal! I'm sabotaging myself and just staying at the same place. How do you motivate yourselves to keep going?
I log everything before I eat (less so now in maintenance, but I did religiously while in WLM). That's the only way I know to NOT go over calories on UDs. Sadly, even after a couple of years dieting and nearly 2 years in maintenance, I can easily eat 3000 calories without batting an eye if I don't track.

If you're using an on-line tracker, most have decent "recipe" calculators. You can enter your recipe, what a serving size is, and it'll tell you the calories and macros. Save it to your tracker and you always have it if you make that recipe again.

All that being said, I pretty much eat the same things all the time, except for dinner. I just find it easier to track that way and I know the calories in most of my favorites.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #93
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Whew! Finally!!! I'm ON! I've been having trouble getting on the LC website. I keep getting a message about the server not working and that I should try later. Hopefully I can post! After I got on, I could read but not post. Annoying! Funny how impatient we have become about technology working when we want it to and fast.

My weight is creeping up and I better do something about it. I've just been trying to focus on healing and feeling better. I'm eating healthy, but I'm eating too much.

JulieC: You will get lots of good advice from successful JUDDDers, I'm sure. When I was having great success it was because I kept my DDs really low. Then if I got stuck, I would do just a few days of pure protein eating in a row and it always got the scale moving down.

I have not done DD rotations in weeks. So, I'm sure the old sirtuin enzymes are not flowing in me anymore. I'll probably have to start over and get two weeks of good DDs in to activate SIRT1 again. I always felt it helped. I have not been taking vitamins or Ptero or anything except a pro biotic and whatever my doc tells me to take (except for the antibiotics right now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Oh yes, so fun to dream! My daydreams involve a pretty little cottage in the French countryside with a view of the sea or a lovely river. Doesn't cost a cent to dream! and you can even add pictures to your dreams these days, thanks to all the wonderful pictures on the internet!

Its nice to hear from you, Yam, and know you're hangin' in there.
It is fun to dream!! I do love my life here in northern CA but I sure love Hawaii and the warm ocean water. It makes me feel happy to day dream about it. I took some videos on my phone from our lania at the last few places we stayed. It's a happy place I can always re-visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilaq14 View Post
I think you should call the doctor and let her know you are not taking the meds, yam. Just in case there is some purpose unknown to you, to be safe. Just my two cents, sorry to barge in with it, don't want anything bad to happen to you!
I'm going to see her next week and I will tell her then. She is actually on vacation right now and it's the stand in doctor who talked to me over the phone and prescribed them. Thanks for your concern! I agree that I should talk it over with the doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Yam Yam, yes we have been to Kailua beach. Buzz's restaurant is one of our favorites and is located right across from the beach. That's where we encountered President Obama and family in January.

It gets quite cold and windy there in the winter compared to our side. I like the better weather on our side, but so agree that it is pretty there.

Spent the day at the beach again today. Lovely!

We were looking for a lunch place and we did pull into BUZZ's but it was closed. Said they open at 3:00 pm.

Cute story about where we ended up for lunch. We were stuck in traffic because of construction work and a police officer was standing on the double yellow lines in the center divide.

DH motioned him over and said, "Officer, we are dumb hungry tourists who can't find a place to eat. Can you recommend something?" He was so happy to tell us that the Willow Tree Restaurant has the best Korean food ever and he eats there all the time.

The officer said, "If you tell me you will go to the Willow Tree, I'll stop traffic and you can do a U-Turn right here."

So he stopped traffic. We ate at the Willow Tree. It was great and the owner was so tickled when he heard our story about the officer.

Thanks for telling me that Kailua gets windy and cold in the winter. I would not like that!

Glad you had another lovely day at Waikiki!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieNell View Post
Good morning everyone! I have had a busy week and feel out of touch with all of you because of it.
My school had a movie night for the kids and their families Friday night.
Then, my DD and I went to two showers yesterday afternoon and out to a get together with DS and friends last night.
I just don't have as much time during the school year to keep up with what's going on and I don't like it.
As I read through the threads, I want to comment but by the time I get to the end, the conversation has changed.
I think about all of you, pray for you when you're sick, sad or troubled and wish you well even if I don't comment.
Everyone have a great week. I'll check in when I can.
We are just glad that you check in when you can! I feel the same way. I feel a bit out of touch and try to catch up on all the JBs if I'm gone for a while. What's great is that it's always so easy to chime back in and be part of the group.

This is a great place to be! But we all have lives and oodles of stuff going on.

Beadelia: Sorry to hear about your painful arthritis. Hope you are feeling good today.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #94
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Partyof8
Stats: 348/231/170
WOE: Low Carb, Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Began journey March '14 Break '15 restart: Jan '16
Just an update, DH's blood results are good..So thats a good sign the chest xray will be also. We're packing for MIL's. Scale went to 301 then bounced back up to 306. Haven't had the heart to weigh today. Hope every one has a beautiful week. We'll be back in 10 days or so.

Restart after baby: 285 on 1/18/16 - lost 54 pounds since!
117 pounds total
Today, I will just do my very best.
Partyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #95
Librarygirl
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Yam that sounds delightful, and the picture I get of stopped traffic while you and DH did a U-Turn to go to the restaurant is priceless. I bet that cop gets a few free meals after that!

Kati, glad to hear that DH's blood work was good. I know that is a relief.

Dawn, I read about your paranormal trip this morning but was unable to comment. It sounds fabulous and this is the perfect time of year!!!

I'm cooking two mini hamburgers for dinner and some summer squash. I'm starving!!! It's a DD and so far, so good.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #96
LoCarbGal

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Good luck on the potato hack Carol, I have never managed more than one day...
Thanks Kissa. After two days I'm down 7.5 pounds. Lotsa bloat and hopefully some fat gone bye-bye too! I'm feeling great, so I'm in for at least one more day, if not two or three more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
DH just texted me that he's got a paranormal investigation in November at the Hotel Jeffery in Coulterville, CA. He got us a room and they are pet-friendly, so you'd better believe I am bringing one of the dogs!!

It should be fun though. We'll make a weekend of it and explore the historic town and maybe some of the surrounding area.
Fun and spooky! I can't wait to hear about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchme View Post
I had a weekend of antiquing on Saturday - lighter in the pocket but richer in "great finds" Also, found a Christmas present so feel pretty pleased with myself. Ended Sunday with an Octoberfest beer and some wonderful olives. OK, olives may not sound like a treat to some but if I only had a few things on a deserted island, these would be on the list! Maybe the beer too.
Olives ! Soooo good! Your shopping sounds great, and you remind me I need to start keeping my eyes and ears open for Christmas ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
I have thought about the weird compliments people give. I use to be constantly told I could be a model, if only I weren't so heavy. Now that the years are starting to march across my face (and bosoms are drooping), I wonder what kind of weird back handed compliments I'll get when I lose weight. I don't know...something that crosses my mind when I read/hear weird ones like the one your DH recieved.
Yeah, we never really know what we're going to "get" when we lose as we get older. Things definitely are not as high up as before. But still, better than being heavy! I know you're beautiful now, but you'll just glow with great health and feeling great and energy as you lose more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
There have also been a couple of crises with DH that took a bit of time. Sometimes it seems like everything happens at once!

I've also had a very bad flare-up of arthritis, and this time it hit my shoulders to the point where I could barely turn the steering wheel, and my hands to the point where it was very painful to type or write.
Sorry to hear about DHs crises and your arthritis! Just so much to handle all at one time. I'm glad sis is beginning to feel better. I'm sure you both have a long haul ahead, but if she's feeling better each day, at least you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Fly-by here because I'm spending a lot of time almost literally to my elbows in Christmas Cake batter as I'm attempting to bake 200 over the month whereas I normally stretch this over a longer time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieC View Post

You're in the home stretch, and that can often be the hardest to lose. I agree with Dawn, track and log everything before you eat it. I entered recipes into my tracker as I made them when I first started. It was a lot of time and effort, but so worth it. You'll get to a point where you hardly have to input anything anymore and just click it. And a key for me was to plan ahead what to eat and not wing it. Winging it never got me good results, but planning does. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Whew! Finally!!! I'm ON! I've been having trouble getting on the LC website. I keep getting a message about the server not working and that I should try later. Hopefully I can post! After I got on, I could read but not post. Annoying! Funny how impatient we have become about technology working when we want it to and fast.

My weight is creeping up and I better do something about it. I've just been trying to focus on healing and feeling better. I'm eating healthy, but I'm eating too much.
Cute story about the traffic cop! I was having trouble posting and reading here yesterday too. Frustrating! As for weight creep, I have no doubt you'll nip that back into control. Your body has been going through so much lately, I'm sure the added nutrition was needed.

Quote:
Just an update, DH's blood results are good..So thats a good sign the chest xray will be also. We're packing for MIL's. Scale went to 301 then bounced back up to 306. Haven't had the heart to weigh today. Hope every one has a beautiful week. We'll be back in 10 days or so.
Good news! I hope your visit with MIL is sweet for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I'm cooking two mini hamburgers for dinner and some summer squash. I'm starving!!! It's a DD and so far, so good.
Good luck with DD today Cindy! Sounds like a good plan. You can do it!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #97
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I was talking with Lili914 at work about the potato hack and Carol, sounds like you are doing great! I got so faint and dizzy in day 2 I never even considered it again, but maybe, just maybe. I have to see where I am when TOM comes and goes. I'm a bloated mess right now.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:59 AM   #98
LiLi914
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 249.6/245.2/145
WOE: JUDDD/some form of Low-Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2017 - restart from 2013
Haha yes Carly put the fear of potato hack into me. Just kidding! I have a friend who wants to try the potato hack and was looking for support.

I'm so proud of you Carol because it seems that the potato hack is a fantastic method for you right now.

I told my friend that I'd be her constant cheerleader and that starting Monday for the two weeks before I go out of town I'll commit to eating potatoes on my DDs. Even if she gives up or things just change for her I'm going to stick it out. We shall see.

Come stalk my journal: https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...d.php?t=873596

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:25 AM   #99
Librarygirl
Big Yapper!!!!

Carol, you make the potato hack sound very tempting!!! Great job on 7.5 lbs!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

*Cindy*
Old 10-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #100
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
WOW, Carol, that is really astonishing. Great job friend.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #101
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I was talking with Lili914 at work about the potato hack and Carol, sounds like you are doing great! I got so faint and dizzy in day 2 I never even considered it again, but maybe, just maybe. I have to see where I am when TOM comes and goes. I'm a bloated mess right now.
I felt awful the first 2 times I tried it too, Carly. That was early 2013, so it's been awhile. I can only guess that my gut flora has improved since then, and that is why I'm feeling better this time. I have had moments of very vague lightheadedness this time, but nothing that has really been scary or impacted me. I used to get those on DDs too. If you try it, I'll be very interested to hear how you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
Haha yes Carly put the fear of potato hack into me. Just kidding! I have a friend who wants to try the potato hack and was looking for support.

I'm so proud of you Carol because it seems that the potato hack is a fantastic method for you right now.

I told my friend that I'd be her constant cheerleader and that starting Monday for the two weeks before I go out of town I'll commit to eating potatoes on my DDs. Even if she gives up or things just change for her I'm going to stick it out. We shall see.
Aw, thanks Lisa! Yes, it's kinda scary. You just don't know how your body will react. I think PHing EOD is great, and that's how I tested the waters prior to this hack. I think I'm going to do PDDs mostly after I go off this hack, just because it is so much easier for me than a normal DD has been lately. I'll be cheering you on girl!

Quote:
Carol, you make the potato hack sound very tempting!!! Great job on 7.5 lbs!
Thanks Cindy! I'm just floored with these results. As of this morning, I'm down 9 lbs in 3 days. Now, you know most of that has got to be water weight, but I'll quote Heather from the PH thread "I don't care if it's water, fat, poop, snot, air - just so that scale number goes down!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
WOW, Carol, that is really astonishing. Great job friend.
Thank you, Cindy! I just can't get over how supportive everyone is when I'm doing something so very nutty! We all just get so psyched when one of us has any success, it's an amazing thing.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

Old 10-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #102
Librarygirl
Big Yapper!!!!

Carol, how exactly are you doing the PH? Cold, hot, boiled, baked, etc? Also, are you adding anything else to your diet and do you use condiments? Enough?

*Cindy*
Old 10-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #103
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Carol, how exactly are you doing the PH? Cold, hot, boiled, baked, etc? Also, are you adding anything else to your diet and do you use condiments? Enough?
You know me, I can talk for hours about whatever I'm doing at the moment. I have lots more on my journal, but in a nutshell, this is what I've done this time:

I peeled and boiled 5 pounds of smallish russets, cut in half. Drained and completely cooled them in a colander, and put them in the fridge. Then I've been eating just cold, plain potatoes at lunch and dinnertime. A bite in between if hunger was unbearable, which has only been once so far. Mostly I feel very satiated. No salt, no vinegar, no nothin' else. Except for yesterday at lunch I put some lemon pepper on them. Tasted pretty good, but I really don't want them to be too tasty, then I might want more.

I did have cooked rice on hand in case TMI troubles surfaced. I had one cup the first day, but none since. It tasted really bland, so I put lemon pepper on that and mixed it in.

I have been having my one cup of Coffee/HWC, which is right around .75-1 oz of HWC. Then I try to wait at least 4 hours before having any potatoes or rice.

Today I've got the other 5 pounds, unpeeled, in the crock pot with some water to steam them. I'll let you know how those turn out.

That's it in a nutshell. Or a potato peel, if you will.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #104
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
That sounds so easy. Yes, you are tempting a lot of us to try it!

Being in ketosis I don't want to try it right now. Maybe after our trip, when I know I'll be eating more carbs, I'll give it a shot just to experiment. I'm probably going to JUDDD eod then for awhile too at least until I get any weight gain back off.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 10-09-2014 at 10:42 AM..
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #105
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
A short break from mixing Christmas Cake batter.

Some of you may recall my fondness for scenes of Italian family dinners and food preparation that I mentioned in August: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...l#post17015133

Have you ever leafed through a cookery book and completely understood that you’re living in the wrong country*? I’ve just been looking through Rosetta Constantino’s Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily.

One of the recipes for an almond cookie lists 2 Tbsps of limoncello for inclusion in the batter but the directions state, “plus more for forming the cookies” because “[m]oistening your hands with the limoncello keeps the sticky dough manageable and also adds a lovely flavour”.

More cookery books should have bon viveur directions like that.

*Of course, this is my fantasy of Italy. Along with the architecture, the fabulous scenery and the people. The administration of the country etc. would drive me loopy in no time. But, I look at the photographs in this book, I read the descriptions and much of me melts.

Maintenance should be a way to thrive, not an endurance sport.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #106
KeirasMom

SS, I can totally imagine you baking up a storm, elbows deep in Limoncello. You are such a gifted storyteller.

Carol, I'm in awe of your PH results!

Today's installment of weird Dawn issues: I dislocated my ankle last night in my sleep. It's okay today, but sore. We're going to the fair this weekend and I already have plans to either get some walking sticks or a brace, or both. All that isn't that big of a deal, but I'm borrowing trouble because I just realized my beloved Bully Boo walk is on the 19th. It's 2 miles, up and down slight inclines and uneven terrain. I go every spring and every fall and it's so much fun for Keira, me, and the dogs. I don't want to miss it, but I'm worried about it, even if I'm feeling well.

I could miss it, but then there's another part of me that knows I'm having my specialist appointment just 3 days after the Bully Boo walk. I don't know if I should skip the walk even if I feel well so the doctor can get an accurate assessment of my day-to-day pain/mobility, or if I should go and she can see me "post-strenuous-activity."

What say my BUDDDs?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #107
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Dawn!

Is it possible to change your Dr. appointment?

If this "walk" is more then you usually do on a daily basis, I would skip it.

This is a tuff call!

Good Luck making the right choice.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #108
KeirasMom

Nope, this appointment was scheduled back in July and it was her "first available." It's a specialist appointment to see why I keep dislocating things.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #109
fitchick68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitchick68
Stats: 202.2/196.6/130-145
Start Date: Sept 29th 2014
Hello again!

Me and my DIL have been doing good on JUDDD so far and we both love it!

We did change our routine a little on our DD's so instead of spreading our 500 cals throughout the day we just drink tea or crystal light until suppertime and then we have our dinner of cabbage,laughing cow cheese and canned meat which we decided to have every day on our DD's (is soooo good! ).We find ourselves surprisingly able to hold off till then and are very full till bedtime

And even though we don't count cals on our UD's we also find that we feel full on less..so 4 tacos before JUDDD is now 2 but it seems like we must be eating enough... we both started 10 days ago and I have lost a total of 6.1 lbs and my DIL 5 lbs and that is even with us taking 2 UD's together when we visited my Mom for the weekend.

I can really see us doing this woe for the rest of our lives

Starting over on 9/29/14 - 202.2
CW - 196.6
GW - 130 - 145
fitchick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #110
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
Oh Boy!

I wanted to ask my JUDDD budds if they had a chrome book ( with the chrome book os ) and if they liked it.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #111
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't personally have one, but my school has a bunch for the students to use. The thing you have to be sure to understand about a Chromebook is that they can't do anything without the internet and the don't run software like Microsoft Office- only the google versions on the web. I like the google versions OK for some things, but they aren't as good as Word or Excel.

If you are just surfing the web, one would probably be OK, but for that I would get a tablet.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #112
fitchick68
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
What do you ladies do to de-stress?
I do photography and digital art

CW - 196.6
GW - 130 - 145
Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #113
Librarygirl
Big Yapper!!!!

Carol, that sounds easy enough. Thanks for sharing! I'm not in the frame of mind to do it right now, and have never gotten past a day on the PH, but it's always something that intrigues me.

SS, that recipe does sound delicious and interesting. Your DH, family and friends are very lucky.

Dawn, maybe you should ask your doctor's advice on whether to do the walk. Since you are having troubles now, it might not be good to exacerbate the (injury?). Just my opinion, and I certainly am no expert!

Fitchick, sounds like you and your DIL are doing very well! Good job!

*Cindy*
Old 10-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #114
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
A short break from mixing Christmas Cake batter.

Some of you may recall my fondness for scenes of Italian family dinners and food preparation that I mentioned in August: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...l#post17015133

Have you ever leafed through a cookery book and completely understood that you’re living in the wrong country*? I’ve just been looking through Rosetta Constantino’s Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily.

One of the recipes for an almond cookie lists 2 Tbsps of limoncello for inclusion in the batter but the directions state, “plus more for forming the cookies” because “[m]oistening your hands with the limoncello keeps the sticky dough manageable and also adds a lovely flavour”.

More cookery books should have bon viveur directions like that.

*Of course, this is my fantasy of Italy. Along with the architecture, the fabulous scenery and the people. The administration of the country etc. would drive me loopy in no time. But, I look at the photographs in this book, I read the descriptions and much of me melts.
Italy sounds so wonderful to me too, Slow. And those cookies.......I just love limoncello, and I make it at home with fresh lemons from my tree. Better than any I've ever bought or had at a restaurant. I haven't, however, ever had some sitting in a café in Italy, which I imagine would be the ultimate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
SS, I can totally imagine you baking up a storm, elbows deep in Limoncello. You are such a gifted storyteller.

Carol, I'm in awe of your PH results!

Today's installment of weird Dawn issues: I dislocated my ankle last night in my sleep. It's okay today, but sore. We're going to the fair this weekend and I already have plans to either get some walking sticks or a brace, or both. All that isn't that big of a deal, but I'm borrowing trouble because I just realized my beloved Bully Boo walk is on the 19th. It's 2 miles, up and down slight inclines and uneven terrain. I go every spring and every fall and it's so much fun for Keira, me, and the dogs. I don't want to miss it, but I'm worried about it, even if I'm feeling well.

I could miss it, but then there's another part of me that knows I'm having my specialist appointment just 3 days after the Bully Boo walk. I don't know if I should skip the walk even if I feel well so the doctor can get an accurate assessment of my day-to-day pain/mobility, or if I should go and she can see me "post-strenuous-activity."

What say my BUDDDs?
Such a bummer you might miss the walk! But if it's the best thing for your physically, there's no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchick68 View Post
Hello again!

We did change our routine a little on our DD's so instead of spreading our 500 cals throughout the day we just drink tea or crystal light until suppertime and then we have our dinner of cabbage,laughing cow cheese and canned meat which we decided to have every day on our DD's (is soooo good! ).We find ourselves surprisingly able to hold off till then and are very full till bedtime

And even though we don't count cals on our UD's we also find that we feel full on less..so 4 tacos before JUDDD is now 2 but it seems like we must be eating enough... we both started 10 days ago and I have lost a total of 6.1 lbs and my DIL 5 lbs and that is even with us taking 2 UD's together when we visited my Mom for the weekend.

So glad you're both doing AWESOME!

Quote:
Carol, that sounds easy enough. Thanks for sharing! I'm not in the frame of mind to do it right now, and have never gotten past a day on the PH, but it's always something that intrigues me.
I hear ya Cindy. I had to be in EXACTLY the right frame of mind to start the PH. It's not something you can do on a whim.

I'll be heading over to Mom's in a bit for some heavy duty sorting of old paperwork and things. Boxes of it. I hope it goes well. We have........em........different styles and philosophies as to what is a keeper and what isn't. And also the speed at which we decide that very thing. Wish us both luck that we survive each other!

Old 10-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #115
KeirasMom

Good luck, Carol!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #116
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
You know me, I can talk for hours about whatever I'm doing at the moment. I have lots more on my journal, but in a nutshell, this is what I've done this time:

I peeled and boiled 5 pounds of smallish russets, cut in half. Drained and completely cooled them in a colander, and put them in the fridge. Then I've been eating just cold, plain potatoes at lunch and dinnertime. A bite in between if hunger was unbearable, which has only been once so far. Mostly I feel very satiated. No salt, no vinegar, no nothin' else. Except for yesterday at lunch I put some lemon pepper on them. Tasted pretty good, but I really don't want them to be too tasty, then I might want more.

I did have cooked rice on hand in case TMI troubles surfaced. I had one cup the first day, but none since. It tasted really bland, so I put lemon pepper on that and mixed it in.

I have been having my one cup of Coffee/HWC, which is right around .75-1 oz of HWC. Then I try to wait at least 4 hours before having any potatoes or rice.

Today I've got the other 5 pounds, unpeeled, in the crock pot with some water to steam them. I'll let you know how those turn out.

That's it in a nutshell. Or a potato peel, if you will.
Wow! You are having great success! Amazing results! Very inspiring. I may try it someday.

I had a pretty good DD yesterday and the scale was down -3 pounds this morning! Only one DD? That was encouraging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
That sounds so easy. Yes, you are tempting a lot of us to try it!

Being in ketosis I don't want to try it right now. Maybe after our trip, when I know I'll be eating more carbs, I'll give it a shot just to experiment. I'm probably going to JUDDD eod then for awhile too at least until I get any weight gain back off.
I just looked at your stats and don't think I realized how amazing you are doing at weight loss! You must feel just awesome! And you are an inspiration to those of us who are stuck or struggling at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchick68 View Post
Hello again!

So glad you are loving this and it's working well for both of you! What a great idea to have the yummy cabbage dish every DD. Simple, filling, effective!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #117
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
I just looked at your stats and don't think I realized how amazing you are doing at weight loss! You must feel just awesome! And you are an inspiration to those of us who are stuck or struggling at the moment!

Aw thanks, Yam. I was stuck in the 260's for the longest time, but happy I never put one of those pounds back on like I had many times before. It really has taken a lot of time to figure out what works for me. Basically its low carb with a DD or two per week.

How are you feeling? When is your next doc appt? I think you've told us but I forget.

We leave for California NEXT Saturday and I am giving myself permission to eat whatever I want as long as I do my best not to overeat. But I just don't stress about it anymore. Life is too short! And anyway, when I stress I eat!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #118
fitchick68
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
So glad you are loving this and it's working well for both of you! What a great idea to have the yummy cabbage dish every DD. Simple, filling, effective!
Thank you Yam-Yam!And that is the beauty of it I think.We don't have to think of what to have every DD and we just change up the cheese,meat and seasonings and it is like a totally new dish!

I still can't believe how easy this is,I tried LC before but after a while I would miss my mac and cheese,pizza and doughnuts and I would fall off the wagon so to speak.

With JUDDD though..I CAN have those stuff and more on my UD's and since nothing is forbidden...I seem to not crave it as much and am satisfied with a reasonable amount.

I used to weigh myself once a week but now have started weighing after every DD to see how I am doing and by reading other peoples posts I know that my weight going up and down is nothing to worry about and to just keep going on..

CW - 196.6
GW - 130 - 145
Old 10-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #119
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
I had to Google lemoncello; it sounds absolutely wonderful! But then, I love lemon even more than chocolate.

KeirasMom, I also looked up the Bully Boo walk, and it sounds like great fun! The thing I read said it raised money for rescuing bully breeds. Is that bully as in related to bulldog, or bully as in aggressive or believed to be aggressive? Anyway, I sure hope you don't have to miss it.

Mmmmm -- Italy is on my wanna see list, too, especially Rome and the Italian Alps. I've read that there are so many works of art in the Vatican that if you gazed at each one for one minute, around the clock, you'd be there 12 years! How wonderful that all of this beauty has been preserved and put on display for everyone to enjoy, instead of disappearing into private collections. Once I watched a documentary on the preservation of the Vatican art works, and it's a full time job for several people, and expensive as well, so that's where most of the admission fees go. Someday perhaps I'll travel to Rome to see those wonderful things for myself, instead of admiring them in books and documentary films, but you can bet I'll take along a pair of very comfortable shoes!

I have some lovely wood carvings from Italy, including a small nativity set, and I understand that there's a village in the Italian Alps where you can go and watch the carvers in action. Sighhhhhhh -- beautiful mountains and beautiful art -- what more could a body want?

I've been intrigued by the potato hack discussions, and once my sister is back on her own and I'm not eating so many meals with her, I may try it. It seems to work for a lot of people, and eating potatoes two or three days a week should be helpful for the budget as well. And right now my budget needs help! Emmylou Hairiest came down with some kind of mysterious ailment this week and after three days and two nights in the kitty hospital and every test known to vet, I'm $2,328 poorer but no wiser as to the cause of the problem. The vet thinks she must have eaten something she shouldn't, and I'll admit she's terrible about getting into waste baskets in search of "toys" and also about devouring any hapless bug that wanders into the house. This being Texas, there are occasional bugs, and the vet says some cats tolerate them and some don't -- one of her cats has to live upstairs where there are fewer bugs because he gets sick whenever he eats one. Emmy's doing better now, and is on a special new food designed for delicate tums. She's also under strict orders to do no more dumpster diving or bug munching, but of course the first thing she did when she got home was to overturn a trash sack and investigate the contents. So tomorrow I go shopping for kitty-proof waste baskets.

Would you believe that after apologetically handing me that monster bill the vet suggested that I adopt one of the three adorable kittens she's trying to find homes for? I think Emmy might like a friend, but I can't afford two cats!
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:42 AM   #120
KeirasMom

Bead, I have been to Italy a couple of times in my long-ago youth and loved it (though I didn't love getting robbed right outside of Vatican City!). I'd love to go back sometime as an adult. I'm not in love with wood carvings, but the glass blowers are AMAZING!

Fresno Bully Rescue is a rescue for mainly pit-bulls and related breeds (boxers, mastiffs, bulldogs, etc.). The Bully Boo walk doesn't discriminate, though. All breeds are welcome, and the proceeds go to this great organization. I don't have pit-bulls, but have several "at-risk" breeds. I laugh at that, because my dogs are about as gentle as dogs can be. I have a boxer/mastiff mix, a GSD, and a Dane/Mastiff mix. We also have a puppy of indeterminate breed that we're STILL trying to find a home for (doberman/shepherd we "think").