Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #1531
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
Yes GB I didn't know until now that the chemo was shrinking the tumors either. So happy to hear that news and I send continued prayers Such happy news. Hopefully that makes it a little easier to sit through the treatments

That is a tough situation with the homeless guy. It has really ballooned over the years that we have been talking about it. We've been chatting a lot of years now about a lot of stuff. I am sorry to see this site come to a close. I hope you can get them to come out and remove him.

I don't know what to say about feeling important. I don't think I ever feel important anymore now that I'm old. I don't really feel good or bad about much of anything. Sad but true. You guys here are all important to me and I love communicating with you here Things have just changed a lot for me since getting old, looking old, being so limited in what I can do in life, mostly just watch TV on the couch. Can't really go out to eat or drink which used to be kinda fun because I'll balloon up so big. It's not worth it. Plus when I do eat a little too much I feel terrible for like 24 hours which also ruins it. duh. Sorry for complaining Maybe just in a crappy mood
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
schaferk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #1532
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferk View Post
Yes GB I didn't know until now that the chemo was shrinking the tumors either. So happy to hear that news and I send continued prayers Such happy news. Hopefully that makes it a little easier to sit through the treatments

That is a tough situation with the homeless guy. It has really ballooned over the years that we have been talking about it. We've been chatting a lot of years now about a lot of stuff. I am sorry to see this site come to a close. I hope you can get them to come out and remove him.

I don't know what to say about feeling important. I don't think I ever feel important anymore now that I'm old. I don't really feel good or bad about much of anything. Sad but true. You guys here are all important to me and I love communicating with you here Things have just changed a lot for me since getting old, looking old, being so limited in what I can do in life, mostly just watch TV on the couch. Can't really go out to eat or drink which used to be kinda fun because I'll balloon up so big. It's not worth it. Plus when I do eat a little too much I feel terrible for like 24 hours which also ruins it. duh. Sorry for complaining Maybe just in a crappy mood
Hi Kris, Casey, PAC Yeah the tumors have shrunk. Like if one was 19 centimeters, it shrunk a centimeter or 1.5 centimeters. Sounds small, but the doctor said in the world of sarcoma, that's impressive.

And to think I got that news on Thursday, my wife was elated and then the homeless guy goes bonkers on Thursday night. Boy did he put an end to the celebration in a hurry.

It was good to see all of you commenting on the "important" topic. Casey helped PAC to see it in a different way. See, if I say it PAC has to show me the other side of the coin. lol. lol. Just kidding PAC.

I got a new idea on how to rid our selves of the homeless man. And it falls more in line with "love your enemies....do good unto them." (Jesus). So I have way too many old trucks and cars.

Since we moved into this house I have had two trucks sit in the driveway the whole time. One is a small Ford pickup with a homemade wood shell. I'm going to have the HL guy move out of the backyard and into the truck.

As soon as I get it smogged and registered, I'm gonna hand him the keys and let him drive off with the pink slip. I'm gonna rent him a storage unit for his bikes and stuff for 60 days. And get him a PO Box for a change of address.

This might sound too generous on my part, but to get him evicted and a restraining order is gonna cost money too. And I do want that old truck to go away.

I haven't proposed this to him yet. But I will make it a no choice thing. Either take the truck or leave the backyard with nothing. And I need to make this happen before I go into the hospital. At least get him into the truck, so I can lock up the backyard.

The women folk want to open their windows again.

So that's the plan. Hopefully he can process it and see it as a good thing. Of course he will eventually lose it all. He won't have any money for repairs or to hang on to the storage unit after the 60 days I'm paying for.

That means I will be hearing from him. Probably laced with foul language. But all I can do is give him the phone numbers of those who deal with the mentally ill. And be ready to call the police if he shows up.

My biggest concern is property damage, like doing something to my new truck. But oh well, can't stay stuck in fear of what might happen. He has to go.

I was over at the other site this morning. Pretty slow. But I guess once we are all forced over there, things will return to normal. Have a great LC Sunday friends.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #1533
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post

It was good to see all of you commenting on the "important" topic. Casey helped PAC to see it in a different way. See, if I say it PAC has to show me the other side of the coin. lol. lol. Just kidding PAC.

Actually, Casey was telling something about herself and I realized that I am the same way, but I explained how I felt differently about it, so it IS the same thing. I made excuses for myself. LOL

I'm wondering what good the truck will be to the homeless guy if the authorities haul him off. I'm not saying you're wrong to do this. Maybe you mean you will give him the truck so he can evacuate before they haul him off. You could probably tell him they are "coming to take him away" as an incentive for him to leave voluntarily. Either way, I'm glad your DW and DD will be free of him.

I hope the next hosital stay kills more tumors.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #1534
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
Hi, PAC!. Yes, I think my intent is to be empathetic, but I think I interrupt or just don't listen to the whole story, as you said. It's just something that I think is change-worthy at this point in my life. I'm always trying to improve and it's funny how you never even give something a second thought, then all of a sudden it's brought to your attention and it's ALL you can focus on!

Hi, Kris! I found the notifications on the other site - You go into your profile, then select notifications. I'm not sure which one does what you want to do, but that's where the options are.

Hi, GB!. I think the neighborhood will liven up once it's our only option. Also, some days are busier than others. I follow the Atkins thread there and it's actually MORE active there than it was here.

Last edited by Casey; 05-13-2018 at 08:04 PM..
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:56 AM   #1535
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: deanslist
Stats: 5'3.5" 185/128.6/120-123
WOE: Protein Power, mod fat and low carb
Start Date: 1999 (Atkins) Lost most of my weight
Good morning everyone!

GB- very excited for you about the tumor shrinkage. I do not believe the Lord is done with you yet!!

Casey- I have always thought I was being empathic when I was doing it too (making things about me, lol). I know I tend to do this, but I think I'm pretty good at making other people feel important, as GB alludes to. lol. 90% of my life is listening to people talk about their problems and themselves... so if I do a little of wanting to 'feel important' elsewhere, I don't think I can help it. LOL. I supposed babbling about my thyroid nonsense would fall under that category. ha!

PAC, I plan to respond to your message. LOL LOL LOL I laughed really hard.

Kris- I hope you're well and had a good Mother's Day!

(Now the "ABOUT ME" Part lol lol lol... had a great day with my three girls and DH. Trying to set up my Fitbit Versa watch right now, but I'm not that tekkie and I'm having some troubles. It's cool though. I love it!

The weekend flew by and back to work now. I called my mom yesterday who seemed nonplussed.. and then later in the evening I called my "second mom." She is the lady who planted seeds when I was young in many wonderful ways and is the reason for my walk with Christ. Amazing lady.

Well, I gotta get off here and do the "Monday thing."

YOU GUYS ARE ALL IMPORTANT TO ME!!

Melissa's Headroom
http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=889720

NO MORE EXCUSES!
http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=892390
deanslist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #1536
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanslist View Post
Good morning everyone!

GB- very excited for you about the tumor shrinkage. I do not believe the Lord is done with you yet!!

Casey- I have always thought I was being empathic when I was doing it too (making things about me, lol). I know I tend to do this, but I think I'm pretty good at making other people feel important, as GB alludes to. lol. 90% of my life is listening to people talk about their problems and themselves... so if I do a little of wanting to 'feel important' elsewhere, I don't think I can help it. LOL. I supposed babbling about my thyroid nonsense would fall under that category. ha!

PAC, I plan to respond to your message. LOL LOL LOL I laughed really hard.

Kris- I hope you're well and had a good Mother's Day!

(Now the "ABOUT ME" Part lol lol lol... had a great day with my three girls and DH. Trying to set up my Fitbit Versa watch right now, but I'm not that tekkie and I'm having some troubles. It's cool though. I love it!

The weekend flew by and back to work now. I called my mom yesterday who seemed nonplussed.. and then later in the evening I called my "second mom." She is the lady who planted seeds when I was young in many wonderful ways and is the reason for my walk with Christ. Amazing lady.

Well, I gotta get off here and do the "Monday thing."

YOU GUYS ARE ALL IMPORTANT TO ME!!
Hi DL, Casey, PAC Thanks for the well wishes. And I do think we need to feel a little important in life. Just not too important.

And of course there are cases where a person is very important in their vocation. Like without them the computers wouldn't stay running.

For me in particular, I started talking about because I felt so unimportant that day I brought home the patio furniture. When my DW just walked away from me, saying I was too negative.

And like I said, I was getting pretty spoiled being the cancer boy and the special treatment that brought me. I was feeling pretty important, but it doesn't take much to find out that you're not as special as you thought you were.

Well that's all I have to say right now. Have a great LC Monday friends.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #1537
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Deanslist & everyone, I did have a good Mother's Day. At least as well as could be expected. My girls and grandkids and everyone went to brunch at Granite City which is very good, although very expensive. It was over fast and I was home by 2:30 on the couch with ice on my foot. Duh. Gotta whine a little about still being sidelined on the couch!! I didn't even pig out at the buffet, one trip up and not a huge plate. Kind of a waste to take me. Having a really hard time keeping off what few pounds I had lost. They kinda came back, this morning I was up 4 again. I know I've already said it but WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES GETTING NO EXERCISE. I was always a believer that MOST weight is controlled by what goes into your mouth and exercise was just a toning bonus. However now that I don't get any movement I can see that it was playing a big part in me keeping my weight down. I'm still mostly only eating once per day but there have been more carbs than necessary

I hope you all had a great Mother's Day too!!

I can't get the hang of that new site, stuff doesn't seem to work for me so I may post at Active Lowcarbers. I hope you all pop in there occasionally just to say hi to me once we lose this one. You are all so important to me and I will really miss chatting with you
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #1538
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Kris, it might be because you run rather than walk that the exercise helped keep your weight down. One summer I walked outside every single day over the summer. 3 miles, which was up and down a lot of hills. With no change in diet, I lost 2 lbs over that 90 day period.

It's possible that when you are able to exercise, it also sets your mind to eat better. Maybe since you are down in the dumps from having the foot problem for so long you are gravitating to poor food choices and you're eating more because you are unable to be active. Or maybe I'm way off base and you are the exception to the rule, and exercise really does work for you in your weight loss journey!! LOL

If I want to lose weight, I have to be just a wee bit hungry at all times. If I eat to satisfaction like they tell you to, I just stay the same. The only thing exercise does for me is dull my appetite so I'm not as hungry.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #1539
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Kris, it might be because you run rather than walk that the exercise helped keep your weight down. One summer I walked outside every single day over the summer. 3 miles, which was up and down a lot of hills. With no change in diet, I lost 2 lbs over that 90 day period.

It's possible that when you are able to exercise, it also sets your mind to eat better. Maybe since you are down in the dumps from having the foot problem for so long you are gravitating to poor food choices and you're eating more because you are unable to be active. Or maybe I'm way off base and you are the exception to the rule, and exercise really does work for you in your weight loss journey!! LOL

If I want to lose weight, I have to be just a wee bit hungry at all times. If I eat to satisfaction like they tell you to, I just stay the same. The only thing exercise does for me is dull my appetite so I'm not as hungry.
PAC You are so exactly correct I am sure. I know I was eating a little bit more 'carby' stuff like dark chocolate dipped caramels as I was sitting around here being a sad sack lounging on the couch which i am SO SO sick of. But recently, I've stopped that and been quite strict with myself keeping it to one meal a day thinking that would be enough to combat the sedative lifestyle but it just hasn't been. I can tell by my clothes that I'm spreading out (hips) and just slowly inching up on the scale again I have a new roll of jigglys in the front that I never had. My stomach stayed pretty flat when I was running regularly (not sure if that is why??) I have a dr appointment today but not for the foot. Just haven't had any blood work done for about 3 years & etc. I looked back at my little journal and am up about 16 or 17 pounds from last dr visit. Next Tues is another foot x-ray. Sure hope they let me spend a little more time on my foot after checking the 6/week xray. It does still hurt tho so maybe it's for the best not to push it.
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
Old 05-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #1540
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

BTW, hi Izzy I think I might have forgotten to respond to a post from you. I can't remember. Did I? If so, please pardon my forgetfulness.

Have a nice LC day my friend.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #1541
Izzysdream
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart: 4/2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
BTW, hi Izzy I think I might have forgotten to respond to a post from you. I can't remember. Did I? If so, please pardon my forgetfulness.

Have a nice LC day my friend.
Big Hugs GB, I hope you don't drop out of the new group.
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #1542
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Personally, I talk a lot about my diet woes and lack of willpower to be the person I want to be, my lack of ability to get the job done. Or maybe lately all my health issue woes! I am grateful for any advice anyone shares with me on all of that and I happy to share any advice I have on whatever may be bothering the rest of you
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 AM   #1543
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to go to Lifeway today which is a Christian bookstore in case you're not familiar - and I saw online they have a t-shirt that says "NOT TODAY SATAN." ("Submit yourselves, then, to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you- James 4:7") I thought that was pretty hilarious and in your face...I just might buy it. People don't want to talk about the devil, either. Many want to believe he's not real.

Ok, I don't want to get to pontificating. lol. So I 'best get to stepping' as one of my people likes to say. We are going to a revival tonight!! I am so excited. It's called Pulse Twin Cities and it's at U.S. Bank Stadium. I have been waiting for this for a long time. I hope it's as great as I've built it up in my mind.

Have a wonderful LC, religion-free day, all. (I'm totally kidding LOL)

Melissa's Headroom

NO MORE EXCUSES!

Last edited by deanslist; 05-18-2018 at 03:21 AM..
Old 05-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #1544
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Have a great LC day friends.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #1545
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

GB, I saw your post over there.
Her spirits are really down and she needs someone to lift her up, but I'm not sure someone here can help her. She seems to need professional help. I don't think I could ever post the things she has said on a public forum but then I am pretty private about my deep feelings. I try to keep thing light.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 05-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #1546
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
GB, I saw your post over there.
Her spirits are really down and she needs someone to lift her up, but I'm not sure someone here can help her. She seems to need professional help. I don't think I could ever post the things she has said on a public forum but then I am pretty private about my deep feelings. I try to keep thing light.
Hi PAC I assume you mean kacee. Poor thing. I was so surprised she said that every morning she fears her husband won't be there in bed, having left her.

Maybe she does need professional help. BTW, I've always been curious as to why people decide to be private about their deep feelings.

Like you said, you like to keep it light. Can you explain why that is? I mean I realize that some things are just too personal. Making them inappropriate to share on a forum like this. I get that.

And of course certain sites like Facebook open you up to EVERYONE. But I've always felt safe in here to post certain personal things, knowing that not even my DW will read a post in here.

She just has no interest in a weight loss chat room. And we use screen names to create further anonymity. My avatar pic is the only way someone might recognize me.

So I always feel free to share my deep feelings. Especially where I stand on religious faith issues. Jesus Himself recognized that people might be ashamed to talk about Him.

So He said to them that if they are ashamed of Him, He too will be ashamed of them when they stand before God and His holy angels. So I try to speak up when I get a chance, let folks know about Him. I'm not ashamed.

But that's just one area of deep feelings. And again, I do understand that some things are just too personal or embarrassing to tell others about, except maybe a close friend.

Have a nice LC weekend my friend.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #1547
deanslist
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning friends! We are heading up to Duluth today for a fundraiser for DH's cousin who has cancer. I am not sure what kind/what the prognosis is or anything- hut she is young, like 40- and has a 12 year old son. If you could say a prayer for her, that would be great. Her name is Jennifer. We would not have known about it as it was posted on FB and neither of us really go on there- which is why we don't have much info about it.

It was a late night last night! 13,000 steps around the U.S. Bank Stadium and 31 floors climbed. Sheesh! Got my steps in, anyway!

I was a little disappointed in the event... like I told GB I always do this to myself where I build up events in my mind to astronominal proportions and rarely can they live up to my self-imposed expectations. LOL

It was an event geared toward millennials- which is great since we need a generation raised up in Christ- I guess I was thinking it was going to be a little different, though. Some of the music was just not my style.. but that's ok. It wasn't geared toward 45 year olds. LOL

We walked out with probably 5 My Pillows. Mike Lindell had a pillow on each chair of the stadium. I think there were 66,000 people there. So we did have the world's largest pillow fight. IT was a sight to see.. if you google it you can find pics of millennials smashing each other with pillows and foam flying everywhere.

I wonder if Mike was bummed that so many were trashing his pillows. He told part of his story of being a crack addict and God giving him a dream about the My Pillow. That was pretty cool. I wish I could've heard better. The acoustics are terrible in the stadium.

CJ Ham from the Vikings was there, too- talking of his love of Christ- I didn't know this but he's actually from Duluth and went to my DD23's high school! Small world. And our new quarterback Kirk Cousins did a video message and said he has built his life on Christ, which was awesome. Maybe we will get to the Superbowl this year. We all know it would take an act of God

Ok, I've rambled on enough. I hope my girls have good memories of this and want to continue spreading the love of Jesus as they grow.

Have a great day, all!

Melissa's Headroom

NO MORE EXCUSES!

Last edited by deanslist; 05-19-2018 at 08:41 AM..
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #1548
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

GB, in my long life of posting on message boards, I have seen so many people take what you say and turn it against you. I have learned not to say too much. I realize that people on message boards don't actually know who you are. And there are so many more people reading the posts than just the ones posting here. Compare the number of posts to the number of views. It's astounding! Also, if you look through some of the recent threads since the announcement that this place is closing, you will see people bring up the names of former posters, talking and yucking it up about things that they posted long ago. Those people might have been opening their heart about problems they had, and now everyone is having a laugh over it. I think a lot of people know that they are anonymous on a site like this and say things they would never say to someone face to face. So, I find it best to keep my mouth shut.

I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

Dr Jason Fung

Last edited by PACarolsue; 05-20-2018 at 07:49 AM..
Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #1549
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
Hi, Melissa - I'd heard about the biggest pillow fight - sounded like a fun time. I remember the big "revival" movement in the 70's and it's good to see some big events like that happening.

Hi, PAC - I agree with you. I was surprised to get a "slap on the wrist" notification the other day about something I posted - I can't even figure out what I said that was inappropriate ... I didn't read rules before I joined the new place, and I'm not sure if it was something I said there or here, but regardless, I'll be watching what I say and will mainly just be popping in to say hi and catch up.

Where are the rules for posting on the new site?

Hi, GB, Kris and everyone else!

Last edited by Casey; 05-20-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #1550
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

I also got into trouble but did not know what I said wrong or where I said it. I will check in with everyone whenever I can and be very careful when picking my words. Certainly don't mean to offend anyone ever

Quiet cloudy day here, still watching Lifetime movies on the couch. Foot gets X-rayed again Tuesday Maybe good news My weight is still up, haven't lost much but cooking rotisserie chicken today with broccoli and sweet potatoes. I will only have a small part of a sweet potatoe, they are so high in carbs but I still see them as healthy. I'll probably have a tiny bit of skim milk too. I'm not trying for strict no carb but am trying to keep it lower and watch calories. I am just not losing. Got some new prescriptions from the doc this week when I had blood work done. My weight was way up from last time at dr and cholesteral was 274 if I remember right? My BMI was way up from before, in the overweight level - 27. News wasn't great but I was kind of expecting it
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149