Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It's JUNE!!! And this is the keto thread!!!

Can't believe it is June already! We have had a very cool and rainy spring. Hopefully this month will represent summer.

For many people, keto started with Atkins and has been a progression of understanding how ketosis is a good place to be long term. That is my experience. I have incorporated intermittent fasting along the way. I eat 2 meals a day and 1 meal a day as it suits me. The one meal a day (OMAD) became very easy because I have great appetite suppression from keto. It has turned into yet another way to maintain.

I declare myself the Queen of maintenance - UNINTENDED! I love keto so it could be a lot worse.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Marking my spot. Thanks for the new thread.

I'm plugging along, but haven't been too strict. This time of year is hectic at an elementary school, but 7 more days until my life will slow way down.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Wow. June already!

I ate twice yesterday and felt too full. Looking forward to fasting until tomorrow morning or however long I can comfortably stick with it. It does get easier. Now a 36 is as easy as OMAD became, with time.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I still haven't made it past 24 hours fasting. I am such a wimp!

I am pretty confused about the whole fasting thing. I was pretty sure it was all about keeping insulin low for a period of time in order to allow stored fat to be used but now I am hearing a LOT about how your body adapts to it and down regulates metabolism. This sounds a lot like the ci/co theory. Really bummed about this message..............

I am just staying keto and eating when I am hungry for now (the usual). Might throw in a OMAD here and there...........

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 12/ Size 10
WOE: (75/20/5) 50g protein
Start Date: Restart: 1st November 2015
Cfine, just read about your accident on the May thread. I hope you are getting over the shock, and that you're on the mend.

Clackley - I also struggle with fasting. Can't even do OMAD at the moment - I seem to be absolutely starving lately!!! I can't even blame TOM this week either. Not sure what's going on - even when my stomach feels physically full I still seem to want to eat!

Wondering whether I need to ditch the veggies completely for a few days - when I was losing I ate very few veggies (only upped them when I ended up with folate deficiency), but the side effect of that is definitely a slow down (virtual stop) of weight loss.

Last edited by clanger; 06-01-2017 at 11:39 AM..
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
I most likely would never have considered fasting in any form if my bloodwork numbers hadn't started going up. Staying healthy and off prescriptions is a huge motivator. Fasting and keto works well for me. I really feel like I have no choice unless I want to be a sick old lady some day. I am very grateful.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 06-01-2017 at 12:13 PM..
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
leisha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/188/155
WOE: Keto LCHF
Start Date: 2005 Joined LCF Mar 1 '17 Keto
I was just thinking that over the years that I've been on this board I've bounced from this thread to that depending on what my current WOE was. I haven't been here in a while and it hadn't crossed my mind that there was probably a Keto thread too. I've been eating this way since March 1st. I'm down 14 pounds. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but it's the only thing that's worked at all in years. I have MCT oil in my morning coffee and go from there. I feel so much better.

I'd like to join the thread with y'all. I don't lose any then suddenly I do. It's easy to get discouraged but I plan for this to be a permanent thing, not just a diet.
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psm 118:24
210 208 206 205 204 202 200 198 196 194 192 190 188 186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 169 168 166 163 162 160 158 156
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
OhAmy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhAmy
Stats: 298/149/183/140
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 3/25/14 and today
Hi Keto folks

This looks like a good spot to stay accountable through June.

I've been Atkins->Keto for over three years and love it, but trying to break an overeating pattern (cheese). The simplicity of fasting appeals to me but it is a problem because of a deprivation history. I am happy knowing that when I am hungry I will eat what is nourishing. My preference is eggs, not so much meat.

I'm off to work but wanted to say hello this first day of June.
I hope we all have a great Keto-June.

~Amy
OhAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
Welcome to June!! I can't believe how fast May went by.

I ended up back in the ER again today. I feel like such a wimp but I just couldn't deal with the nausea and faint feeling another day. They checked some blood work to make sure I didn't have any internal bleeding from the accident and sent me home with Zofran. I'm about over feeling bad. Here's hoping for a better weekend.

My food goals are on point. I just got Maria Emmerich's new Keto Comfort cookbook. There are so many good looking recipes in it. I will be so glad when I feel up to being up and cooking again. I can't decide which recipe to try first.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #10
creativehealthnut
Junior LCF Member

Hi! looking forward to a June thats on track and on plan! Here is to wishing you all a wonderful month. May your ketones be plentiful and your blood glucose/insulin levels be low.
creativehealthnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 AM   #11
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/147/maintenance
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post

I ended up back in the ER again today. I feel like such a wimp but I just couldn't deal with the nausea and faint feeling another day. They checked some blood work to make sure I didn't have any internal bleeding from the accident and sent me home with Zofran. I'm about over feeling bad. Here's hoping for a better weekend.

My food goals are on point. I just got Maria Emmerich's new Keto Comfort cookbook. There are so many good looking recipes in it. I will be so glad when I feel up to being up and cooking again. I can't decide which recipe to try first.
Gosh, I hope the book is comforting. Sending healing vibes!

Happy June! Started Keto in March. I was getting obsessive and weird about scale and measuring. So the month of May was scale free. I tested on a Ketostix last night and it said I wasn't in ketosis! Then this morning it said I was. That's it! I will use the blood meter event though the ketone tabs are so expensive! And Sunday I will check body fat and weight. So excited!

Last edited by Koala; 06-02-2017 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: Wrong word
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

I know you were in an accident, but is that causing the faint feeling and nausea? It all sounds awful and I hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #13
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Welcome all!!! It is gratifying to see so many new and old faces!

Cfine, I wonder how long you have been keto? Could the nausea and dizzy feelings be to do with becoming keto adapted and actually an electrolyte imbalance? Sure hope you are back to feeling well very soon.

We are butter together!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 AM   #14
KarbieGrl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KarbieGrl
I just stumble upon this thread - would you mind if I join?
I have been "low carbing" for a few months now, down about 15 pounds. I keep hearing so much about Keto diets that I am intrigued enough to try and figure out what its all about. So, I am off to read.

My Journal
KarbieGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
leisha
Major LCF Poster!

I've been having that faint feeling and just dragging with no energy. I was reading last night and realized that I'd stopped taking my magnesium supplement and had stopped eating my whole dill pickles. I'm starting that back today to see if I can feel better. I have so much I want to get done this weekend - house work wise - and I need some pep!
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psm 118:24
210 208 206 205 204 202 200 198 196 194 192 190 188 186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 169 168 166 163 162 160 158 156
Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #16
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarbieGrl View Post
I just stumble upon this thread - would you mind if I join?
I have been "low carbing" for a few months now, down about 15 pounds. I keep hearing so much about Keto diets that I am intrigued enough to try and figure out what its all about. So, I am off to read.
The more the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisha View Post
I've been having that faint feeling and just dragging with no energy. I was reading last night and realized that I'd stopped taking my magnesium supplement and had stopped eating my whole dill pickles. I'm starting that back today to see if I can feel better. I have so much I want to get done this weekend - house work wise - and I need some pep!
You are becoming keto adapted! The best cure is 2 cups of salty broth but I bet your solutions are good too. The key is the sodium as it helps retain the others.

We are butter together!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisha View Post
If I slack off on my magnesium supplement I just get slooower and sssssllllooooooowwweeerrr until I feel like I am going to fall over.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #18
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
June 2017? ALREADY?? Gosh. I am still figuring out some go-to meals for my husband and I in this WOE, but I think my cravings are slightly lessened. I think that once I get the hang of a few different mug biscuits and cakes, and a couple of good main dishes for lunchtime, I will feel like things are settling down. Not measuring weight or BS or anything, just because, at this point, I am feeling good and I think my own inner "knowing" or whatever, is good enough. It has served me/us well, in coming to this point. I am very grateful to have found this group, and to have evidence, daily, that there are still people who retain their reasoning powers and critical thinking skills, and who share what they learn.

Just got the Linus Pauling book, and it reminds me how enamored I was with Pauling when he was still alive! Thank goodness he wrote!
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #19
HappyInKetosis
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyInKetosis
Stats: 188/142/135 5'2"
WOE: Ketogenic/LCHF with IF
Start Date: Restarted March 2017
Happy June! I can't believe how fast this year is flying by.

Keto on - I'm coming off what will be a 41 hour fast in a bit. Going to have an ounce of walnuts and a half an avocado at noon. Haven't eaten since Wed. night, and still not overly hungry. Just consumed water with salt, and black coffee; today added a splash of heavy cream to the coffee. Longest I'd fasted before was 24 hours, but I found this longer one to not be that difficult. I think it's all about timing and fitting it into your lifestyle.

I'm reading The Obesity Code by Jason Fung right now, and also flipping through (well, as much as you can "flip" on a Kindle lol) Leanne Vogel's new The Keto Diet.

- Pat a/k/a "Happy" In Ketosis
HappyInKetosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
WoodysWorld
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WoodysWorld
Stats: 135/114.6/115
WOE: Ketogenic/VLC
Start Date: 12/04/2016
Good morning to all! Happy June and HAPPY FRIDAY.

I don't post much, but I have been lurking on this site forever...
forever even before I joined.

Been keto since December and still loving it.

Husband dove in also in February, which made things
so much easier! However, much to
the dismay of his mother, who lives with us (pray for me)
since that meant no more Togo's sandwiches,
pizza and Chinese food for her... ha ha. Oh well,
she's better off without that crap anyway.
Especially with the amount she smokes AND DRINKS >cough<.

Anyway, just wanted to say join in and say hello.

Julia
WoodysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #21
leisha
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! I can't believe how much better I feel today by just adding the pickles (sodium) and magnesium. I don't think I'll be "forgetting" them again.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #22
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Cfine, I wonder how long you have been keto? Could the nausea and dizzy feelings be to do with becoming keto adapted and actually an electrolyte imbalance? Sure hope you are back to feeling well very soon.
I wish that's what it was but I've been keto for a while. As a matter of fact, my primary care doctor told me to up my magnesium(I was already supplementing) for healing purposes. My chiropractor thinks it's some sort of pain reaction. It's been fairly miserable. The only thing that has helped is Zofran. I'm seeing the spine doctor next week and hopefully he will order a MRI to make sure something is not pinched.

Ketoing on.....so thankful for this WOE. It's the only thing I feel like I have control over right now.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #23
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInKetosis View Post
Happy June! I can't believe how fast this year is flying by.

I'm reading The Obesity Code by Jason Fung right now, and also flipping through (well, as much as you can "flip" on a Kindle lol) Leanne Vogel's new The Keto Diet.
I loved Vogel book and that entire Healthful Pursuit website!
Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #24
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I wish that's what it was but I've been keto for a while. As a matter of fact, my primary care doctor told me to up my magnesium(I was already supplementing) for healing purposes. My chiropractor thinks it's some sort of pain reaction. It's been fairly miserable. The only thing that has helped is Zofran. I'm seeing the spine doctor next week and hopefully he will order a MRI to make sure something is not pinched.

Ketoing on.....so thankful for this WOE. It's the only thing I feel like I have control over right now.
Glad doctors are still looking into solutions. Get well!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #25
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm WAY to into my food at the moment. Being down physically makes me sit here and look at recipes. I have had to put the cookbooks up for the moment so that I can eat all of the food I have already made in the frig. I will be glad when it's all gone so that I can make something new.

I think I will try a jalapeno popper quiche for my next recipe. It sounds yummy and I have plenty of jalapenos. And cheese...and cream...and eggs...I always have plenty of those.

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #26
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Jalapeno popper quiche sounds wonderful!!!

We are butter together!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #27
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 233/142/146-120
WOE: Weight Watchers, IF and knowledgeable
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014 nov 2017
Hello I hope it's still a good time to join up. I lost a lot of weight with Atkins and JUDDD but have been off plan since Mayish and gained 30 lbs. Carbs kill me but I love them so much.

So now I'm back at it and going Keto. I hope to add some fasting in as well once my appetite gets under control.
This time is forever I say this again!!
Goal I don’t know where I’ll end up but I’m happy where I am!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 AM   #28
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Awesome!i just got the ketovangelst kitchen crockpot cookbook. I really want to get into using my multi cooker more.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #29
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne21071 View Post
Hello I hope it's still a good time to join up. I lost a lot of weight with Atkins and JUDDD but have been off plan since Mayish and gained 30 lbs. Carbs kill me but I love them so much.

So now I'm back at it and going Keto. I hope to add some fasting in as well once my appetite gets under control.
Welcome Leanne! No time like the present to get back on plan and your plan sounds like a good one! Carbs are a killer - no doubt about it.

We are butter together!
Old 06-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #30
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote: