FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Lorabelle12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lorabelle12
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 31, 2017
2 weeks on Lchf and suffering weakness. Help!

I'm on day 15 of Lchf and my legs are weak and I'm tired and sleepy although I'm sleeping all night every night. I am on a lot of medicine but I've been on them a while so the only thing I've done differently that could be causing this weakness is my new way of eating. I used to eat lots of sugar and starches everyday, never been a healthy eater and I don't want to go back to that way of eating. Any advice? Also, I lost 7 lbs. these last few weeks but most of it was in the first few days so I believe it was water weight and I have not lost anything since. I want to exercise but just do not have the energy. I don't even have enough energy to clean my house. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Lorabelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
look into your electrolytes - magnesium, potassium and sodium. You do not retain these on a low carb diet easily, so you need a good supply. Do not buy low salt anything. If you can add a bit of extra salt that you normally do. I take magnesium malate twice a day and I guess I am ok with potassium. I am sure other members can suggest products you can buy.
battler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/140/128 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
What meds are you on??

Electrolytes (as above) can cause your symptoms but so can a number of meds that need to be adjusted down as your body starts to get healthier with a low carb plan.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Lorabelle12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battler View Post
look into your electrolytes - magnesium, potassium and sodium. You do not retain these on a low carb diet easily, so you need a good supply. Do not buy low salt anything. If you can add a bit of extra salt that you normally do. I take magnesium malate twice a day and I guess I am ok with potassium. I am sure other members can suggest products you can buy.
OK thanks!! I already take potassium every day and I take several blood pressure meds plus beta blockers, plavix, thyroid meds plus a whole lot more. I also take mag oxide. I'm going to stick with it a little longer and try some of your suggestions. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Lorabelle12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwwilson View Post
What meds are you on??

Electrolytes (as above) can cause your symptoms but so can a number of meds that need to be adjusted down as your body starts to get healthier with a low carb plan.
Thanks, I'll work on the electrolytes and might have to check with my doctor
Old 08-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Lillianna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 213/188/150 5'6" Highest:240 lbs.
WOE: 25-50 carbs per day
Start Date: 1/1/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorabelle12 View Post
OK thanks!! I already take potassium every day and I take several blood pressure meds plus beta blockers, plavix, thyroid meds plus a whole lot more. I also take mag oxide. I'm going to stick with it a little longer and try some of your suggestions. Thanks for the input.
Caution -- a low carb diet lowers blood pressure. Do you have a blood pressure cuff you can use?

If you feel very weak I might suggest some healthy carbs -- a sweet potato or lima beans or other starchy vegetable, and then keep easing into a lower carb way of eating.

And definitely see your doctor if you think the problem is low blood pressure.
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
WanderingStars
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WanderingStars
I had bad problems with this! My blood pressure is normally low, and it seems to also drop when I get hypoglycemic -- I have pre-diabetes. I was faint, outright, when I started on low carbs. It's like my body had no idea at all how to react to the early parts.

For me, I did two things that helped: I had 4 oz. of juice when I felt faint (15 grams of carbs) every few days when it was bad, once I was in ketosis (it did not bump me out) and my blood sugar was hitting low, low levels, which I mainly noticed as a drop in blood pressure. I also added a lot of sodium and magnesium and potassium to my diet and drank a lot more water than usual. After about the 3rd week, I stopped feeling weak, but at first, I really could not exercise or anything. Now, I feel great.

Also, how much protein are you eating? For me, I need more protein it seems than fats, unsure why. But that gives me energy.

The first 2-3 weeks were HARD physically for me -- I felt lightheaded and even breathless walking up the stairs. Then I stopped noticing anything weird at all after I made some adjustments.

I keep to about 15 grams carbs a day still, sometimes less.
WanderingStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
You need to be evaluated by your doctor. A LC diet works wonders for blood pressure and other ailments. I used to be on BP meds but no more. A LC diet can also alter your thyroid levels.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote