Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/139/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
I really belive in what I'm doing, So why did I let her get to me?

I had lunch with someone today who really challenged me about this WOE. She said I am participating in this farce because I have no control over the way I eat, she said people like me have no control over their life and they think they are getting it by participating in these kinds of WOE Plans. She said, I would never have control of my weight because deep down inside I want to be Fat because it protects me from the out side world. I really thought I was strong, so why have I let this upset me so much? I respect this person so what am I missing about myself?
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You're not missing anything about yourself. You allowed this woman to project her views onto you.

My advice (feel free to ignore) is to NEVER talk about your way of eating with anyone. You'll have a lot more peace that way.

I've been eating very low carb for over a decade now (8+ years maintaining my loss), and I've been out to eat with friends often--and never, ever mentioned how I eat, nor have I been involved in any discussions about my weight loss or how I achieved it. If anyone brings it up, I answer briefly and immediately change the subject.

As a subject, 'diet' is like politics and religion. You don't want to go there.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
You may respect her, but she doesn't seem to respect you.
Don't let it upset you.
Whatever the reason she said that, it probably has nothing to do with you and has to do with her own issues.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
Wow - that's really harsh and mean spirited - to belittle someone who is working to get healthy. I agree with Dottie - this person doesn't respect you. Who made her such an expert on weight loss?! It's such an individual and personal matter -- I encourage everyone to do what works for them. Friends and family often ask what I do to stay fit, and when I tell them, if they want to argue or start with "but I can't LIVE without bread (or pasta, or cake)..." Then I just shut up about it.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Hayek
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/152/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
You may respect her, but she doesn't seem to respect you.
Don't let it upset you.
Whatever the reason she said that, it probably has nothing to do with you and has to do with her own issues.
Agree. This person's demeaning way of talking to you/about the subject sounds more like something in them got triggered to cause such a response.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
FWIW, if it happens again: "Thank you for your concern, but this is not up for discussion" and change the subject.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Yikes! Unless this person is your mother, she seems to not have appropriate boundaries when it comes to your business. And even if she IS your mother, I'd tell her to back off and that there will be no further discussion of your lifestyle or choices in what you eat or don't eat.

Boy that would have frosted my 'taters, and in fact, they're frosted FOR YOU!

Agree with don't discuss it with other people unless you KNOW they eat the same way you do. Not worth feeling like you have to defend yourself.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Kalyke
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalyke
I just joined, but reading through your post felt that I had to say something. First, I really am saddened to hear about your friend's heavy-handed attempt at giving support to someone. I would have gone red in the face, and stormed out of the room. Science is finally catching up, and opinions are changing on the low carb diet. Next, reading books and listening to lectures I have seen the common theme that we are overweight because we are sensitive to carbs, in the same way that some people cannot tolerate gluten, and other people cannot tolerate lactose (milk).

People who respond to low carb, and can finally get their endocrine system to actually use the fat as fuel, instead of stored energy, are very sensitive to carbs, and should not eat any.

I think of this sensitivity as a kind of "allergy" but on a mega scale.

For your friend to say that your behavior is the reason you are overweight, Is blaming the victim (in my mind).
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/235/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Wow. You respect this person? She has no clue. So what if you have "no control over what you eat" ... neither does half the country. One great benefit from this WOE is to regain that control by eliminating the foods that play havoc with body chemistry and mental chemistry. In my experience, non-obese people (including doctors) have no qualification to lecture obese people on how to lose weight. What works for one person might not work for another.

Unfortunately, when you discuss low-carbing with a non-practioner, it's so antithetical to what their lifetime received wisdom that it's a red flag to a bull. If you want to shut the conversation down, you can just say sugar is poison, and that you don't eat poison.

It could also be that your friend isn't really focused on your WOE but using it as a pretext to discuss deeper (life) issues you may have. That's a different debate, and it may or may not be upsetting. The point is that there is nothing wrong with your WOE, it works for you and many others, stick with it as it's just about food management.

KG to goal: -14.5 kg

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
By getting healthy and being in control, you are changing the perception this person have of you. She doesn't see you as a healthier person, she doesn't see you fit and "snatched", she doesn't see you with the increased confidence that comes along with your journey. She is comfortable with you remaining as you were, in her mind.

Last edited by Rosebud; 04-04-2017 at 02:01 PM..
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
What a bunch of psycho-babble.

Let me guess, she isn't overweight, right? Some people that aren't overweight like to think it is their outstanding character and self-control that keep them thin. That allows them to feel superior to those that are heavy.

Well, I am not lactose intolerant. What if I said people who are lactose intolerant have no control over their lives and secretly want to have a stomach ache to avoid social situations. If they avoid dairy it is because they are avoiding their problems and are in denial. I can eat all the cheese I want with no ill effect because I have self control and am a superior person, so everyone should be able to eat dairy.

See how dumb that is?
Old 04-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

THANK YOU ALL!!

Thank You all for your support, I guess I needed somewhere to run to, I cried for an hour(cause she hurt my feelings) then I prayed for a while(cause I asked for guidance from my maker before I started this WOE) then I had 3 Shots of Tequila and a Guinness, and I got Mad, I got Mad at me. Mad because I let her get to me. I guess it was weakness because I've always been the fat kid, the fat wife, the fat mother, and then to have someone I respect say, That's What your always going to be, it just unnerved me. I will never speak again about my WOE. I have found something that works for me and I won't turn back.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
I would have asked them so many questions they'd give up.
Like for example, are you saying this WOE isn't going to work. Or that it is good, but I wont follow it ???

Drill down further and ask them how they would suggest you should eat ? and then analyze that with what we know of insulin etc etc.

Most people think grazing and low calorie small meals and balanced diet is the way to go, usually. That is so easy to analyze and find the problems with.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
enemysugar - I just looked at your stats again ... You've lost 50 pounds since January 25 - that is AMAZING and an accomplishment to be proud of! You keep doing what you're doing and surround yourself with supportive friends and family.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
You're not missing anything about yourself. You allowed this woman to project her views onto you.

My advice (feel free to ignore) is to NEVER talk about your way of eating with anyone. You'll have a lot more peace that way.

I've been eating very low carb for over a decade now (8+ years maintaining my loss), and I've been out to eat with friends often--and never, ever mentioned how I eat, nor have I been involved in any discussions about my weight loss or how I achieved it. If anyone brings it up, I answer briefly and immediately change the subject.

As a subject, 'diet' is like politics and religion. You don't want to go there.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
snowmop
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 70 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
A person who would talk to you that way is just trying to make herself feel superior, and not worth your time or tears. You are doing GREAT!! Just ignore the naysayers and picture her speechless when you have lost 100 lbs. and are gorgeous.

My avatar is my bunny Chubbers!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #17
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Enemysugar I know how devoted and hard your working to improve your health. I am very proud of you and I'm sure your love ones are as well. But the most important thing is for you to be proud of yourself and improving your health for yourself. Remember what you told me about walking on the beach watching the sunrise. Believe in yourself you can do anything you set your mind to...
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #18
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/147/maintenance
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
FWIW, if it happens again: "Thank you for your concern, but this is not up for discussion" and change the subject.

Last edited by Koala; 04-05-2017 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: syntax
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:36 AM   #19
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
I looked at your stats as well, and agree you are doing amazing.
She sounds toxic and has no control of what comes out of her mouth,
Honestly when I read your post, my first thoughts were she sounds insecure and possibly jealous. What is she afraid of, by you losing weight and improving your health?
Her strong reaction is a sign of her issues, not yours. For me, after the hurt, it would be fuel to my fire to keep going.
Obviously none of us can tell you to cut her out of your life, but there is a reason she doesn't want you to succeed. Sometimes you have to at least limit contact with toxic people.
You have tons of support and cheerleaders here! Keep on doing what works for you and the results will speak for themselves.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #20
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so greatful to all of you!!!

Your kindness and comments have rallied me around. I am going to take the advise and limit my contact with her. I think it's best. I'm ashamed of myself for letting her get to me. I'm going to press on today, she's wrong about me and this WOE. I cannot tell all of you how much your comments meant to me.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #21
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
Opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemysugar View Post
Your kindness and comments have rallied me around. I am going to take the advise and limit my contact with her. I think it's best. I'm ashamed of myself for letting her get to me. I'm going to press on today, she's wrong about me and this WOE. I cannot tell all of you how much your comments meant to me.
Maybe its just me, but I've got a few colleagues who do this to me, and I actually do the opposite. Of course they are new colleagues of mine, I have only known them really since Aug 2016, but in a way you're where I was maybe in Dec or so, when suddenly I was 60 lb down.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #22
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
Don't feel ashamed! I would have cried and been hurt at first. She said some very hurtful things and for whatever reason was trying to upset you.
Sometimes those that speak so loudly are not worth hearing.
You know the old saying, opinions are like...... everyone has one, but does not mean their right or pretty.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #23
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Enemysugar...keep your spirits and motivation up! You are doing amazing....
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #24
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
She is toxic! I know you said you respect her, but I wonder why. That little diatribe would cause me to lose all respect - don't care who it came from.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #25
Neko
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 195/165/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/9/2017
Wow... I am absolutely shocked that someone would feel it was acceptable to say that to anyone else. Keep up what you're doing. While this may not be another person's choice of diet, it works for those of us who chose to eat this way.
Neko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #26
oceans
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceans
She is toxic. Drop her like a "hot potato". LOL
oceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #27
Sunny7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
Yes you are doing great...i would of said "hey its working for me"...keep up the good work..
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #28
atcgirl42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: atcgirl42
Geez, that was extremely mean spirited! Like others, I'm surprised to hear you say you respect her. She was intentionally being hurtful to you.

Having read that you've lost 50 pounds, it makes me think that she's responding to your success. "Crabs in a bucket" mentality. I think that she feels threatened by your weight loss for whatever reason.

You're doing wonderfully.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #29
happygal
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: happygal
Stats: 150/145/115
WOE: Low Carb
Just keep doing what you are doing and that is all that matters, hard to believe anyone would say those words to anyone trying to better themselves. Keep at it and you will be happy!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #30
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Enemy Sugar, you are rocking you plan and doing so well. I would love to see that "friend's" face when she seems you looking even more fabulous in a few months. Success is the best revenge (not that I'm advocating vindictive behavior) but you WILL succeed that lady is in for a real comeuppance. Just sayin'
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote