Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #61
cleochatra
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Hey, girl! I need my Pauline! Quick Question: What is your opinion of pea protein? Have you used it? Do you like it?

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #62
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Hey Cleo .. i haven't used it - but I think it would be very good protein and am actually considering ordering some of the vegan protein powder once I investigate them a bit .. been meaning to institute "vegan mondays" in my house for a while now, lol! I use whey protein powder in my sweets at the moment but would like to try the vegan stuff. let me know if you find out anything interesting!

P
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #63
cleochatra
something there

I have someone who wants me to test his product. It's essentially an ice cream made with pea protein. It's.... well.... I'm scared to try it. I want to, though. I'll let you know what it's like as ice cream. Pea protein as ice cream...

I've lost 131 pounds

Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #64
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

lol Cleo!! if I was going to make vegan ice cream, I'd check out coconut cream recipes .. but I guess it would not be providing protein like that product. I know there are good vegan substitutes for whipped cream made out of coconut cream ... ice cream and coconut definitely sounds more palatable than pea protein ice cream, lololol!!!!! Have fun Girl! let us know how you like it!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #65
Sherril
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 217/167/127
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: March 2014
Low Carb Vegetarian Taco Soup

One thing I miss terribly doing low-carb is Mexican food. Honestly, I can eat it morning, noon, and night 7 days a week. I make fake chicken enchaladas using diced up chix strips and low carb tortillas with a small amount of enchalada sauce mixed with sour cream and that works but it's not very spicy. To meet my need for spicy, I came up with this taco soup recipe. It has enough protein and veggies to keep me from feeling guilty.

Low Carb Vegetarian Taco Soup

1 tbsp vegetable oil
6 medium mushrooms, small diced
1 medium zucchini, small diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz. soyrizo (Vegetarian Mexican sausage) I buy it from Trader Joe's.
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or chili flakes
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup frozen spinach, don't bother to thaw
1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes with jalapenos
15 oz black soy beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz Velveeta cheese, diced

Directions
In a large sauce pan, heat the oil. Saute the mushrooms, onion, and zucchini in the hot oil until tender. Add garlic and cook for two more minutes. Add soyrizo, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper and stir to mix ingredients. Add the vegetable broth, spinach, canned tomatoes and black soy beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Take off heat and stir in Velveeta cheese until it melts and the soup becomes creamy.

Serving Size: Makes 8 one-cup servings at 18 grams carbs and 8 grams fiber per cup.

When I can afford the carbs, I also like to add 1/2 cup frozen corn. It's great topped with a spoon of sour cream. Yum.

Guess what I'm making tonight?
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #66
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
This sounds good. I have not tried the soyrizo, but it sounds tasty. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll substitute American cheese for the Velveeta though.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #67
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 55 years old
WOE: Beer and pizza diet
Veg Mexican sausage at TJ's?? Must look for it. In the freezer stuff?

My Avi is my horse Victor and me Heritage Park horse trials 5/16

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Hadel Briles
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #68
Sherril
Senior LCF Member

No, it's not in the freezer. You can find it with the meatless chicken and beef in the refrigerated isle. Milissa also has a soyrizo you can usually find in the grocery store, but it's not nearly as good as the TJ one.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #69
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

Wow Sherril! I have to try that soup! One question .. can I sub something for the mushrooms and the zucchini? I have a hard time getting my kids to eat either one of those things .. but otherwise it sounds like everyone would like it! Thanks for the recipe!

Pauline
Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #70
Sherril
Senior LCF Member

Pauline, any veggie they like would work, or leave it out all together. I think the recipe I took it from didn't have them. However, try frozen corn and olives. I don't like olives and corn is too carby for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #71
Sherril
Senior LCF Member

Arti-Cheesy Faux Chicken

When I first started doing low carb a couple of years ago, I went to allrecipes.com and looked at all their chicken recipes to see if I could just substitute the real chicken for the fake stuff. I tried this recipe: Arti-Cheesy Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com with the following changes, and loved it. I've been making it 2-3 times a month ever since. When I went off low carb, I was adding 1/2 cup brown rice to it which was very, very good but has too many carbs for my weight loss goals.

ARTI-CHEESY FAUX CHICKEN

1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini sliced and cut in half moons
1/2 cup diced onions
1 package chicken strips, rough chopped
1 (12 ounce) pkg frozen baby artichokes, thawed, water pressed out and chopped (I buy them at Trader Joe's)
1/2 jar Alfredo sauce
1 pint heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, the good stuff
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 -2 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 (6 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled - I like the flavored kind

Saute the mushrooms, zucchini, and onions until soft. Add the artichokes and chicken, stir to heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until bubbly and all the cheese is melted.

Serve over steamed cabbage, spaghetti squash, or just eat it with a fork. The cheese sort of holds it together.

I can't believe this is a WOE that allows me to eat this. It's delicious! I usually get 5-6 large servings.

Pauline, you can replace the mushrooms and zucchini (can you tell I like them) with broccoli and/or cauliflower. Sometimes I also add asparagus if it's on sale that week.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #72
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
ummm....this recipe sounds good too!! Thank you for sharing.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #73
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

lol Sherrill .. I like zucchini and mushrooms too, lol!!!! darn kids!! Corn is too carby for me too, but I could do the soup and add corn to theirs .. good thought!

The faux chicken recipe sounds good, but I have to say that product freaks me out, lolol!! My kids ( both lacto-ovo vegetarians by choice) like it though!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #74
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
lol Sherrill .. I like zucchini and mushrooms too, lol!!!! darn kids!! Corn is too carby for me too, but I could do the soup and add corn to theirs .. good thought!

The faux chicken recipe sounds good, but I have to say that product freaks me out, lolol!! My kids ( both lacto-ovo vegetarians by choice) like it though!
I belch Morningstar Farms stuff, especially their new meatballs. Soy belches!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #75
Sherril
Senior LCF Member

Low Carb Tortilla Lasagna

LOW CARB TORTILLA VEGETARIAN LASAGNA - My recipe

2 meatless Italian Sausages - I use Trader Joe's brand, Chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
5 medium mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
16 oz ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 oz Parmesan cheese, divided
6 small low-carb tortillas - 3 net carbs each, cut in half
4 cups low carb spaghetti sauce - I used TJ's 4-cheese sauce
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Saute onion, mushrooms, and onion in the olive oil until soft. Add Italian seasoning and set veggies/sausage aside. In a medium bowl, wisk 2 eggs. Add the ricotta and 1 oz of the Parmesan cheese and whisk until smooth.

To assemble, put some sauce in your glass baking dish. Just enough to cover the bottom. Place four 1/2 pieces of the tortilla in the pan, cut edges against the edges of the dish. Your dish should be rectangular and small enough that most of the bottom will be covered. Drop half of the riccotta mixture onto the tortillas, and spread them to cover. Take half of the veggies/sausage mixture and sprinkle evenly over that. Place half of the spaghetti sauce over the veggies and then cover that with 4 oz. of mozzarella. Lay 4 more half tortilla pieces on the cheese. Cover with the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the veggies/sausage mix, and most of the sauce. Place the last 4 tortilla halves on top and cover with the left-over spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and in the middle and the cheese is browned. Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving so the cheese can set up. This makes 8 large servings.

I only counted the carbs in the sauce, sausage, and tortillas and came up with 5.5 carbs per slice. Of course the veggies also have carbs, but I don't usually count them. Same with carbs in cheese. Your carbs will probably be different depending on the ingredients you use.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #76
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

That is really clever Sherrill! So, what happens to the pita? I imagine the ones in the middle get soft and the one on the bottom gets a little crusty? Is that right? I just wonder since the pita portion is halves and like a double layer almost .. I wonder could I fool my kids with this one or is it very obviously "weird lowcarb food" lololol!!!!!? It sounds delicious!!!

eta: Cindy .. I never heard of that problem. My kids and I all like various products of the morningstar foods and don't even think they have a soy taste at all actually.

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-13-2012 at 04:04 AM..
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #77
Sherril
Senior LCF Member

Paulene, I didn't use pita, but I suppose you could if you pealed them into two. The tortillas really didn't change texture much at all. They stayed fairly firm, not turning to mush like white tortillas would have done. The bottom one had enough sauce to keep it from getting crusty. The top one didn't get crusty, but the cheese did so that made cutting into my slice a bit difficult. I think the flavor with the tortilla wasn't much different than using whole wheat pasta so it made a great substitution for the pasta. The tortilla was quite a bit thinner than pasta though. I think I'll cut the left-overs into bite size pieces with a sharp knife before I heat it up.

Cindy, I don't find any aftertaste from my soy veggie products either, and I eat them several times a week, if not a couple of times a day. Do you find other flavors of food returning as well? You might be having some gastric disorder that a doctor should be consulted about. I haven't tried the MSF meatballs though. I completely love the ones from Trader Joes. In fact, they might be wonderful in this lasagna.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #78
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much Sherrill .. lol!! I think I've had brain damage from my busy week, lol!!! I read "pita", lol!!! Tortillas do sound really good! When I have a moment, I'm going to enter your recipe and find out what it would mean to me (and my youngest dd) for calories .. I am certain the carbs are fine (for me), just looking at it - Like you, I do not have to worry too much on carbs when I am eating all good whole foods / veggies, etc.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #79
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherril View Post
No, it's not in the freezer. You can find it with the meatless chicken and beef in the refrigerated isle. Milissa also has a soyrizo you can usually find in the grocery store, but it's not nearly as good as the TJ one.
I'm going tomorrow. Thanks

Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #80
cleochatra
something there

Pauline, do you use eggs or cheese in any of your cooking? I am working up a recipe for vegetarian and want to make sure to create something that will actually be useful.

I've lost 131 pounds

Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #81
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

Cleo, the term vegetarian usually refers to lacto-ovo vegetarian .. i.e. specifically including eggs and dairy. In my opinion, it is fair to assume that a "vegetarian" recipe will include eggs and dairy .. and those who choose not to eat them will specify their particular foods if they are not quite "vegan" - another common designation.

Vegan refers to someone who uses neither dairy nor eggs, and also may avoid other more unexpected "animal" products - depending on their particular beliefs - like honey and yeast!

hth!

Pauline

p.s. I do find people and even restaurants sometimes make the mistake of including other "no-no" animal ingredients in supposedly vegetarian recipes .. things like chicken broth (lol!!!), or gelatin, or gelatin-containing items like marshmallows, for example.

And if you go one level deeper on "cheese," vegetarian cheese should use non-animal rennet .. but you can just specify "cheese" in your recipe and leave the purchase of the particular type to the cook .. right?

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #82
cleochatra
something there

Thank you! You da bomb.

I've lost 131 pounds

Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #83
CindyCRNA
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherril View Post
Paulene, I didn't use pita, but I suppose you could if you pealed them into two. The tortillas really didn't change texture much at all. They stayed fairly firm, not turning to mush like white tortillas would have done. The bottom one had enough sauce to keep it from getting crusty. The top one didn't get crusty, but the cheese did so that made cutting into my slice a bit difficult. I think the flavor with the tortilla wasn't much different than using whole wheat pasta so it made a great substitution for the pasta. The tortilla was quite a bit thinner than pasta though. I think I'll cut the left-overs into bite size pieces with a sharp knife before I heat it up.

Cindy, I don't find any aftertaste from my soy veggie products either, and I eat them several times a week, if not a couple of times a day. Do you find other flavors of food returning as well? You might be having some gastric disorder that a doctor should be consulted about. I haven't tried the MSF meatballs though. I completely love the ones from Trader Joes. In fact, they might be wonderful in this lasagna.
Sherril, I belch just soy. It is defiantly a soy belch.