Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #31
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I was thinking about purchasing this, but I really don't like Quest Bars and wasn't sure what kind of recipes I would use it in. If it is a sub for corn syrup, then that changes everything.

I've had good success with tagatose in coconut pecan frosting. Tagatose can give me a bit of gastric distress when used "raw", but I do fine with it when it's cooked, for whatever reason.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #32
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I don't know if you can sub it for corn syrup in every recipe. It was great in pecan pie. Tomorrow I am going to attempt marshmallows, but there are so many places it can go wrong! I think I will have to be very careful of the temperature of my erythritol/Viterfiber mixture, and use the old-fashioned soft ball test in water to try to approximate the 240 degrees I need with the sugar/corn syrup mixture. The last time I made marshmallows with erythritol, they crystalized completely. I am hoping the Viterfiber will impede crystallization like corn syrup does for sugar. I'll keep you posted.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #33
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Okay thanks! I'm going to order some, even if I only use it for pecan pie it will be worth the investment. Pecan pie is a must have during the holiday season, and I would love to be able to indulge!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #34
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Sounds like a great product w/ great possiblilities.

Soobee, after opened how long is this stuff shelf stable? Does it have a expiration date? I'm assuming that it doesn't have to be refrigerated after opening.
And would you post your pecan pie recipe using this, in this thread pls, thks.

Have chk'd the website but I don't see the info there.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #35
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
This past week I've had some good luck using a little vitafiber to create a chewy cookie (specifically a soft but chewy gingersnap) and also in make granola. I make Maria E's recipe and it never clumps together well, I think because of the oiliness of coconut oil and/or the whey powder. Also used it successfully in place of honey in a sticky Asian marinade. No issues so far with premature browning when using small amounts. Wow, this stuff is crazy sticky!

No, it doesn't need refridgerating and no expiry on mine. I'm very tempted to get the powder too...

One of my favorite lamb recipes is Barefoot Contessa's Easy Provincial Lamb. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup honey to be put in the marinade and 1/4 cup to be drizzled on the lamb before roasting 20 min at 450, then another hour at 350. I'd love to have this recipe back into the annual winter rotation, but I'm so worried about the expensive waste if a 7 lb leg of lamb goes sideways. Any thoughts on if this would work?

Last edited by Bonbon41; 09-28-2014 at 08:27 PM..
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:10 AM   #36
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bonbon41, I don't suppose you could do an experiment with a smaller piece of meat? I made 1/3 recipe of marshmallow today. So far, it whipped up beautifully and looks just like a regular marshmallow recipe. However, I will have to see whether it recrystallizes as it cools.
The E/Viterfiber mixture had to come to a temperature of 260-not the 240 called for in the original recipe. I think I could have brought the temp even higher. I was trying to gauge by dropping the syrup into ice water. I don't know if it was the Viterfiber or the E or both, but they needed more heat, not less, to get to the candy stage I needed.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #37
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Do you suppose this could be used in ice cream recipes instead of vegetable glycerin? What about as the corn syrup ingredient in maybe a fudge sauce? Can't wait for my order to get here!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #38
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you have to be very careful about how much you heat Viterfiber. The cookies go from chewy to brittle in a matter of minutes. Also, I added some Viterfiber to a chocolate glaze, and although it was delicious, it came out hard as a rock.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #39
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
when I make my questbars, I heat the VF for 20 secs in the micro--and that is all=
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #40
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I think you have to be very careful about how much you heat Viterfiber. The cookies go from chewy to brittle in a matter of minutes. Also, I added some Viterfiber to a chocolate glaze, and although it was delicious, it came out hard as a rock.
I'm curious to know what quantities of vitafiber were in the cookies and the glaze...

And thanks for the tip on trying with a smaller piece of meat - good idea
Old 09-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #41
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marshmallow success! The erythritol/Vitafiber blend heated to 260 worked perfectly. When I first made the marshmallows, I could taste a tiny grit throughout. I expected them to recrystallize into a big mess as had previous batches made with erythritol. Instead, in a matter of hours, all the grit disappeared. I waited another day before I reported just to be sure. The Vitafiber kept the erythritol from recrystallizing. I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Bonbon41, I used 1 Tbs in the glaze and 2 Tbs in the cookies. The cookies were essentially a homemade Quest bar which I stuck in the toaster oven. The dough is edible in all forms-not cooked as a protein bar, slightly cooked as a chewy cookie, and cooked through as a biscottu.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #42
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Yes, please post the recipe Soobee! Very exciting, not to mention impressive... Can't wait to try!

Interesting that those amounts are relatively low - I have used that amount in cookies and not had any issues with hardening, but I did beat it into the batter quite well by machine. Wonder if that could account for the difference...when I made my last caramel sauce, I used closer to 2 tsp and that was fine too. Perhaps a little less?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #43
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought the Vitafiber would act like corn syrup, giving the glaze an extra shine. Next time I will take the glaze off the heat before I add the Vitafiber. I am posting the marshmallow recipe I used. It is 1/3 of the original. I cooked it to 260. Next time I would try 270, although it did work with the 260. I was nervous that the temp was so much higher than the original, and I cut the heat, even though I did not have a well-defined soft ball forming in cold water.

Vitafiber Marshmallow
3 egg whites
1 pkg unflavored gelatin (about 2 1/2 tsp.)
1/3 cup cold water (for the gelatin)
2 Tbs. water (for the syrup)
1 cup erythritol crystals, or 1 1/3 cups powdered
1/3 cup Vitafiber
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
Place the gelatin and the cold water in the bowl of a stand mixer. in a small saucepan combine erythritol, Vitafiber water and salt. to dissolve. Place over medium heat, stirring to dissolve. Cover and allow to cook for a few minutes. Uncover, clip on candy thermometer, and bring up to 260-270. Remove from the heat. Using whip attachment, start beating egg whites and slowly drizzle in hot syrup. Continue beating, adding in vanilla. Beat until the mixture is lukewarm and marshmallowy. I poured it into a silicone cake pan. It did not stick at all. It was slightly grainy at first, but over the course of the day, turned into a smooth creamy consistency.

Last edited by Soobee; 09-30-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #44
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Thks for that marshmallow recipe Soobee. I'm convinced, going to order this now.

When you have the time Soobee, post your pecan pie recipe here pls, thks.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #45
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

or Soobee, maybe you should start a "Vitafiber Recipes" thread.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #46
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: 10/31/15
I have the Vitafiber but am not very good at creating recipes, would love a recipe thread!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #47
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I think this is a vitafiber recipe thread
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #48
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not all of my filling fit into my 9 inch pie pan. I think next time I might try a 10 inch pie pan, but then the crust ingredients would have to be increased. The crust came up the sides but not over the lip, so there was no worry about overbrowning. DH is already requesting another. And some high carbers asked for the recipe!
Pecan Pie Crust Buttoni
1 1/4 c. finely ground pecans
3 T. unsalted butter softened
3 packets Stevia or Splenda
1/4 c flax meal
Combine all ingredients and press into bottom of glass pie plate. Bake in 375º oven for 10-12 minutes to toast pecans a bit and bring out their flavor. Cool and fill as desired.
Pecan Pie Filling Soobee
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar substitute
½ cup tagatose
1 tsp molasses
3/4 cup Vitafiber
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 cups chopped toasted pecans
1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Set separate racks in the center and lower third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Bake on a baking sheet on the center rack until the dough is set, about 10-15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. In medium saucepan, combine the butter, tagatose, erythritol, molasses and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and stirring constantly, continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the nuts, bourbon and the vanilla. Set the mixture aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk the beaten eggs into the filling until smooth. Put the pie shell on a sheet pan and pour the filling into the crust. Bake on the lower oven rack until the edges are set but the center is still slightly loose, about 35 to 45 minutes.

Last edited by Soobee; 10-02-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #49
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Soobee this looks like a killer recipe! I can't wait to make this. Just juggling whether I should make your marshmallows or your pie after I make your crystallized ginger... You are my kitchen guru
Old 10-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #50
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Is everyone using the Vitafiber powder or the syrup? I ordered the syrup but wondering if I should order the powder too.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #51
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I used the syrup in this cake. Going to try the powder to methinks!
Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #52
Clues
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
This past week I've had some good luck using a little vitafiber to create a chewy cookie (specifically a soft but chewy gingersnap) and also in make granola. I make Maria E's recipe and it never clumps together well, I think because of the oiliness of coconut oil and/or the whey powder. Also used it successfully in place of honey in a sticky Asian marinade. No issues so far with premature browning when using small amounts. Wow, this stuff is crazy sticky!

No, it doesn't need refridgerating and no expiry on mine. I'm very tempted to get the powder too...

One of my favorite lamb recipes is Barefoot Contessa's Easy Provincial Lamb. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup honey to be put in the marinade and 1/4 cup to be drizzled on the lamb before roasting 20 min at 450, then another hour at 350. I'd love to have this recipe back into the annual winter rotation, but I'm so worried about the expensive waste if a 7 lb leg of lamb goes sideways. Any thoughts on if this would work?
I'd be very interested to see your gingersnap recipe! How are you using this product in your baking recipes? Do you sub syrup/powder for some portion of the sugar? Is it a one-to-one replacement for the sugar? I had just about given up trying to get the right textures in baked goods with all these new flours, but this might help.

And if this stuff acts like corn syrup for making candy......well I'll be standing beside myself. :-)
Clues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #53
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clues View Post
I'd be very interested to see your gingersnap recipe! How are you using this product in your baking recipes? Do you sub syrup/powder for some portion of the sugar? Is it a one-to-one replacement for the sugar? I had just about given up trying to get the right textures in baked goods with all these new flours, but this might help.

And if this stuff acts like corn syrup for making candy......well I'll be standing beside myself. :-)
Hi Clues,

I'm working on improving the ginger snaps just now, but am happy to post the final version when it's good to go!

Because I've been unsure about how the vitafiber will react (and I try to avoid cooking disasters), I've been starting with small amounts - 1/4 cup per average sized baked goods recipe and about a tablespoon per average sized sauce recipe (caramel, sticky glaze etc). ( I did put 1/2 c in the aunt Ruth pecan cake recipe and it turned out great but I was looking for a slightly gooey end product). Because I've had good results with this small amount, I know I can go up from here as I continue to experiment. My approach is to treat it as part of the total sugar count. I think it's less sweet than honey and honey is sweeter than sugar so I've been using it as 1:1 with sugar. So, if I use a recipe with 1 cup sugar, and I'm putting in 1/4 cup vitafibre, I'll add another 3/4 c of sweeteners to get to about 1 cup of sweetening. As I have the liquid form, I've been adding it to the wet, generally at the end. I'd like to know how and when others are adding it to their bakes - there might be a better way! I'm also curious as to how to use the dry form of vitafiber...just add to dry ingredients? We might look to how the polyD is used for guidance with the dry stuff.

Hope that helps. Happy baking
Old 10-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #54
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The blogs Fitness Treats and Body Building Pantry have several recipes using the Vitafiber powder.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #55
Clues
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Hi Clues,

I'm working on improving the ginger snaps just now, but am happy to post the final version when it's good to go!
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I had been doing some experiments with tagatose, and have tried the caramel sauce recipe that everyone raved about. It's even better than I expected, however, I wanted to take it to the next step and make actual chewy caramel, but couldn't get it to set up any farther than a very thick sauce. This thread has me wondering about some vitafibre syrup/tagatose combinations and what might happen with them. I'm going to order some syrup and powder on Monday and play around with them a bit and see what they'll do. I noticed there are actual nut brittle recipes around for the vitafibre, so that's encouraging.
Clues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #56
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I had been doing some experiments with tagatose, and have tried the caramel sauce recipe that everyone raved about. It's even better than I expected, however, I wanted to take it to the next step and make actual chewy caramel, but couldn't get it to set up any farther than a very thick sauce. This thread has me wondering about some vitafibre syrup/tagatose combinations and what might happen with them. I'm going to order some syrup and powder on Monday and play around with them a bit and see what they'll do. I noticed there are actual nut brittle recipes around for the vitafibre, so that's encouraging.
I got a chewy caramel from combining tagatose and vitafiber. In fact, it's so dense, when it comes out of the fridge, I have to put a little liquid in to use it! I tend to throw a little tagatose in most times when I'm using the vitafiber - I think you'll like the combo! Just careful, seems to brown/burn faster than normal.

Look forward to hearing about your experimentation!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #57
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
I made the caramel sauce today and added the syrup and wee bit of Gluc. Its super thick now. Now I have to add some cream to thin it out.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #58
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How much Vitafiber and glucomannan did you add to the caramel sauce? And when did you add it in, before or after cooking it?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #59
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Hi Soobee, I followed your Tagatose Caramel Recipe
I added 1/4 cup of vitafiber to the Tagatose/water mix before adding the butter and cream. I added the Gluc after it was already set up. I wanted the thinner syrup texture for my coffee this morning but later in the afternoon, I made cookies and I wanted a thicker caramel for the drizzle so I just sprinkled some gluc in the mixture. Sorry I didn't measure. It was just a pinch though.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:07 AM   #60
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marshmallow report: The marshmallows are fine in a protein bar, but they melted when I tried to make rocky road cookies. The temperature of the marshmallow mixture will have to come up significantly. Next time I will try 280 degrees. For now, I am still eating the last batch.