Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #181
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
OK, I finally got around to trying these things!

I bought two. Washed and cut them into quarters, right through the seed - cut out the seed and peeled, and rinsed. Cut each quarter into apple-pie-like slices and put into a microwave-safe casserole.

I found some old Atkins apple drink mix in the cupboard -it had never been opened. Sprinkled about half of one tub over the slices, along with the juice of half a lemon, and tossed to coat.

Nuked 5 minutes.

Melted 2 T. butter in a large nonstick skillet, poured in the "apples" and their juice; sprinkled liberally with pumpkin pie spice (no sugar) and cinnamon, and about 2 tablespoons, maybe less, of brown Diabetisweet. Tossed to coat and cooked, covered, til tender, then removed the lid and let cook down until the juices were evaporated.

Spooned some into a custard cup, poured on a little heavy cream and topped with a few chopped walnuts.

O - M - G!

DH went crazy for it.

I think I'll do this and use it for an apple pie filling, with the Carbalose crust I've used in the past. What a treat!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #182
dazygyrl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dazygyrl
has anyone tried a chayote in a vegetable beef soup?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #183
SugarPop
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Okay, I finally made mine...I bought 3 LAST WEEK (hope that didn't affect the flavor - I have nothing to compare it to) Anyhoo....I peeled, diced, steamed (4 min- maybe needed to do that longer), in a steamer bag......put about 3 tbs buter and 3 pkts 4CApple, apple pie spice and some Monin sf Caramel syrup..........I have to say they were good. Nothing beats an apple IMO, but if we can't have them this is a good substitute.

Next time I will try to just use the Monin syrup.......I wasn't liking the splenda aftertaste thing going on with the 4C.

I can't wait to lose more weight so I can have them Charski style.

B

"A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"

Goal 1) 175 ~ Goal met 9/15/09
Goal 2) 163 - Overweight NOT Obese ~ Goal met 12/9/09
Goal 3) 150 ~ Goal met 3/25/10
Goal 4) 133 - No longer Overweight
Goal 5) 125 - Long Term Goal

Last edited by SugarPop; 10-13-2008 at 03:33 PM..
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #184
dazygyrl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dazygyrl
they were good in vegetable soup.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #185
BikerAng
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I really love these. I had a bunch of left over herbed pork tenderloin and made the following hash type dish. DH really liked it. I peeled and diced 1 chayote, steamed in a pan until tender. Added 2 TBS butter and added 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped green and red peppers and cooked on medium heat until onions were tender. Add the diced tenderloin and heat through. I also added some extra garlic butter to the dish. The chayote aborbed all the flavor of the cooked onion and garlic, YUMM! These are an amazing veggie, so glad I finally tried them. Need to try it as the apple substitute next!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #186
eagle eye
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
WOE: Low Carb
OMG !!!! Just tried the fried apple chayote.YYUUUMMMY!!!! This is amazing I used the apple flavored great value on the go drink mix from walmart ,some butter,vanilla flavor, splenda and nutmeg in mine. It taste just like apple. This is awesome!!!!
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #187
Ressy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ressy
I've got my chayotes and am really hungry for apple crisp....can anyone point me to a very specific recipe...<GRIN>

I got some sugar free apple cider mix also

tia

Ressy
Ressy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #188
shadowzip
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Here is one that Lauren posted

Healthy Indulgences: Apple Crisp Nostalgia
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #189
Kris T.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
Yeah, and make sure you peel them. I was lazy as usual and my latest recipe just didn't turn out right. The peel was gross. I just kind of ate everything but, and it was a giant hassle!
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #190
Charski
Gadget Gal

I made a crisp tonight - peeled and deseeded the chayote and cut into quarters, then crosswise into "apple-like" chunks (I used 4 chayotes) - put into microwave-safe casserole, squeezed on the juice of half a lemon and used one tub of Atkins apple drink mix - this is no longer available, but I think others have been using another sugarfree apple cider type drink mix powder, that would probably work. Covered and nuked 10 minutes, then tossed well, drained, and added 1/3 cup brown Diabetisweet, a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and about 1/2 tsp. Vietnamese cinnamon.

Then I melted 1/2 cup (one stick) butter in a 4 cup measure; added 1 cup blanched almond meal, 3/4 cup raw wheat bran, 1/2 cup erythrtitol and 1/4 cup brown Diabetisweet, 1/2 tsp. Vietnamese cinnamon, and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts - tossed together til well-combined. Sprinkled that all over the top of the "apples" and popped into a 350* oven for 25 minutes.

DH LOVED it - I served it in a bowl with some heavy cream poured over it.

Tastes like apple crisp, alrighty!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #191
bethjoyce55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bethjoyce55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
No, unless you think apples can sub for taters! Its texture is very close to that of an apple, only a lot more fibrous--you have to cook the heck out of it.

It doesn't really have any flavor at all. Not like a turnip or rutabaga.
This does sound interesting. I am going to check my local grocer and see if they carry them and experiment. Will let everyone know what I come up with!
bethjoyce55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #192
Ressy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ressy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
Here is one that Lauren posted

Healthy Indulgences: Apple Crisp Nostalgia
Bingo!

And I have two honey crisp apples in the fridge too!

thanks

Ressy
Ressy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #193
DEEDLYNN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
I love making the fried apples with SF Davinici Carmel syrup and cinnamon...but I'm here to tell y'all....the hashbrowns are WONDERFUL. They do make a good potato substitute as far as hashbrowns go.
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #194
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I make chunky chayote apple sauce. All I do is split and remove the pit from a chayote. Then I slice it with skins on and put the slices in a microwave bag with a single tube of 4C just apple and nuke for 4 minutes. When cooked, pulse in a mini prep food processor 2 or 3 times and you have a perfect chunky applesauce sub.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #195
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Kevin, I have been meaning to try to make applesauce.THanks for figuring it out. I am curious about the skins. I thought someone else tried the chayote with the skins and found them distasteful. They weren's a problem for you?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #196
Kevinpa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Kevin, I have been meaning to try to make applesauce.THanks for figuring it out. I am curious about the skins. I thought someone else tried the chayote with the skins and found them distasteful. They weren's a problem for you?
I made a point to make it both ways and I could not tell the difference. Not to mention like most fruit and veggies, the fiber is in the skin. If you throw the fiber away its not as low carb as you think it is, going from 2 carbs to 5.

Same thing with zucchini.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 10-18-2008 at 04:51 AM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #197
Kris T.
Senior LCF Member

I think with the skins, if they were whizzed up, they'd be fine. Mine didn't cook well when I cut them into slices and left the skin on. It was like a hard rind.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #198
ellief
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ellief
Stats: 128/114/105
WOE: Clean Atkins, no dairy or frankenfoods
tried them in the form of latkes last night. . a m a z i n g . . i let them sit in a sieve with a sprinkle of salt to get all the water out.

happily married and healthy just looking to lose those honeymoon pounds and keep my family healthy
ellief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #199
retroworx
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Found some info on the web which answered some of my lingering questions about the skin, seed, and whether the chayote can be frozen:

"Technically, chayote is a fruit; but most often used as a vegetable. It looks like a large, green pear, but having a number of deep folds in the skin. Some varieties have smooth skins, while others have dots of prickly spines on the surface. The flesh is crisp and white, with a large white oval seed in the center. Its flavour is a bland mix of zucchini, green beans, and cucumber. The skin is also edible, but many prefer to peel it. When it is peeled, it will leave a slimy residue on the hands that is difficult to wash off. It is often used in place of potatoes at a meal, and cooked similarily. The seed is edible and, when cooked, tastes like a cross between a lima bean and an almond. It is soft enough to be chopped up with the flesh and used along with it giving the entire dish a pleasant flavour. It can also be eaten raw in salads, and is an excellent addition to soups. It also keeps well in a cool, but humid, place and can be frozen like a summer squash. Chayote is a good source of fiber, vitamins C and B6, folate, potassium, and magnesium. "

Also found:

[COLOR="Blue"]Freezing Chayote Squash
(Vegetable Pear)

Preparation – Select those with tender skins. Wash, remove stem and blossom end. Do not pare. Dice, removing seed. Water blanch 2 minutes.

Cool, drain and package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.[/COLOR]

And check out this great resource I just found for how to freeze just about ANYTHING:

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Freeze

Last edited by retroworx; 10-23-2008 at 09:21 AM..
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #200
retroworx
Major LCF Poster!

Calories in Chayote, Fruit

Can someone help me out on my math? I want to break down the carbs/cals per gram of chayote so I can plug into ******.

According to my reading of the stats referenced above, chayote is .18 calories per gram, and .036 net carbs per gram. (That would make the chayote I have here, about the size of a medium apple, 43 calories and 8 net carbs. A great calorie deal, but still a little carb pricey for me, so looks like I'll have to practice some portion control yet again. )

Are you fine folks getting the same stats?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #201
Charski
Gadget Gal

Per the USDA nutrient database,

Chayote, raw, edible portion, 100 grams = 19 calories, 4.51 carbs, 1.7 fiber.

Are you weighing the WHOLE fruit, or just the edible portion?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #202
retroworx
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Per the USDA nutrient database,

Chayote, raw, edible portion, 100 grams = 19 calories, 4.51 carbs, 1.7 fiber.

Are you weighing the WHOLE fruit, or just the edible portion?
Hi Charski:

According to my research, the whole fruit is edible, skin and seed included, so I weighed the whole fruit. Can't remember the exact weight now, but it was 200+ grams

Just tried my first slice of it -- raw, with skin. Tastes just fine, very neutral. Best part is the crunch. I will probably use part of the one I have here for dipping in some cheese spread or ranch dressing, and the rest chopped raw in my salad.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #203
Charski
Gadget Gal

Hmmm - well, I cut out the seed and also peel it, so not sure how that affects the carb count!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #204
shadowzip
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I think to eat the skin, you have to have a young tender one. Not sure how you would determine that. I cooked a couple last week, just diced, seed removed but skin left on. They looked exactly the same before cooking, and they were cooked together. The skin on one was really tender and not noticable. The skin on the other one was so tough some of it could not be chewed.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #205
Kris T.
Senior LCF Member

Shadow, I think you're right on the money. Mine was like trying to chew through leather. (not that I'd know or anything!!)
Old 10-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #206
retroworx
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
I think to eat the skin, you have to have a young tender one. Not sure how you would determine that. I cooked a couple last week, just diced, seed removed but skin left on. They looked exactly the same before cooking, and they were cooked together. The skin on one was really tender and not noticable. The skin on the other one was so tough some of it could not be chewed.
Interesting! The skin on the one I have here is no thicker than the skin on an apple and the same consistency/texture/crispness/mouthfeel ()

The color is very bright almost lime-green-ish and the skin is not all that wrinkled. Are these the criteria for a "young" chayote? I wonder what criteria to select for tomorrow when I search for more at the local Hispanic markets. . . .
Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #207
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I made Kevin's applesauce, and it tastes great. Easy as can be. I did not peel or deseed the chayotes. Just cut them in eighths, nuked them till soft, added the Apple To Go and some caramel syrup, and processed to the consistency I like. Delicious.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #208
retroworx
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I made Kevin's applesauce, and it tastes great. Easy as can be. I did not peel or deseed the chayotes. Just cut them in eighths, nuked them till soft, added the Apple To Go and some caramel syrup, and processed to the consistency I like. Delicious.
I did the same! Quite good, tho I was surprised by how long I had to nuke it to get to a soft-ish consistency. That sucker was STUBBORN!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #209
DEEDLYNN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
NEW CHAYOTE RECIPE

I was trying to figure out how to use a can of cream of shrimp soup that I had in the cabinet tonight. I bought it for a recipe and then forgot which recipe I had it for......so...

Chayote Seafood Casserole----was born

5 chayotes shredded
1 can of campbells cream of shrimp soup.
heavy cream---enough to thin the soup a bit --probably 1/4 c to 1/2 c.
1 c. diced sweet peppers (I used red, yellow & orange to give this dish color)
1/2 lb of seafood (I used shrimp cut into bit size pcs, but salad shrimp might be perfect, canned crab, scallops...or any mixtured of them.
shredded cheese...I only used about 2-3 oz total and this dish was creamy enough.

1/2 T to 1T of old bay seasoning.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Spray casserole pan with PAM. I used a medium size casserole.

Blend soup, cream, and bay seasoning.

Layer as follows:

chayote
shrimp mixed with peppers
sprinkle of cheddar cheese
pour a bit of the soup mix over
another layer of chayote
another layer of shrimp
sprinkle of cheddar
and pour the rest of the soup mix over.

I cooked mine for about 45 minutes uncovered. But I started at a lower temperature. So I'm guessing if cooking on the 425 degree it might take 30-35 minutes.

This was great.
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #210
coconutmilk
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coconutmilk
Start Date: May 2007
When I make my chayote fried apples I add a splash of unfiltered ACV to give a nice appley flavor. But for Thanksgiving I left out the ACV and added about a 1/2 cup of cranberries and made an apple cranberry sidedish. It was wonderful and the chayote turned a lovely shade of pink...giggle
Vikki
coconutmilk is offline   Reply With Quote