Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quality Cocoas

Recently, OliveNation offered free shipping on all their cocoas. They stock a great number of different brands, some I knew by reputation, some I'd never heard of, and none of which I had used before.

Being an avowed chocolate junky, I jumped on the chance to add to my repertoire. I ordered three, the Blommer Jet Black Dutch processed, the Aristocrat 22/24 fat Dutch processed, and the Valrhona Dutch processed. Of the three, I only knew about the Valrhona, which is reputed to rival Dröste (my all-time favorite premium cocoa.) Of course, it had the chi chi price tag to match, while the other two were more moderately priced.

I had a long discussion with JJJ'sMom about various cocoas, and after tellreading not her abou my purchase, she requested I post results on here so she and others could know the results.

Today, I tried the Valrhona (of course!) I made the Hot Buttered Rum Fudge Sauce recipe which can be found on the BochaSweet thread.

And the results were STELLAR!! I can see why it's compared to Dröste. It carries all the multi-layered, complex, sophisticated, full-bodied flavor of Dröste, with that same velvety, languid smoothness. Never thought I'd find anything I'd like as well as my beloved Dröste.

Verdict? I'd use it interchangeably with Dröste, because it joins Dröste in a league far, far above most of the rest. It imparts a nice, deep color, straight brown with no mahogany highlights. Think of the best chocolate you've ever had, and multiply that times 10. Mind-numbingly, stratospherically great. But have to throw a jumbo-sized bucket of cold water on all this unfettered admiration. In a word: Cost.

Will report here on the others when I have occasion to take them for a spin, likely soon with the holidays hard upon us. But for now, I just want to face-plant in this sauce until I'm in a delirious chocolate stupor.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Being a chocoholic myself, I can vouch for Valrhona.

Cook's Illustrated, a trusted source of all that is cuisine, actually says Hershey's is fine for "regular" baking, whatever that is. Certainly not low carb.
I think you need the best for low carb, even if it means less frequent use.

Waiting anxiously to learn the rest of Baricat's findings.
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yummy.. love your findings. I love Droste when I can find it.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Thks for posting this thread Baricat. Was just coming on to pm you about the Rodelle cocoa powder. Baricat and I were discussing dutched cocoas and she recommended Rodelle. I just this evening did 2 cups of cocoa, 1 rodelle, 1 hersheys and used BS to sweeten. Actually got hubby's opinion. Hershey's is .32 ounce and Rodelle is .48 ounce.
I would say that Rodelle is worth the extra price, gives a darker color and the finish in your mouth is that of "more chocolate taste". Hubby agreed w/ me. Had it been twice the price of Hershey's, not so sure I would buy it. Very interested now to try the Valrhona but per Amazon, $1.21 ounce. Heavens to Betsy, what if I like it??? lol. Whew, steep price. About the same as the Droste. I've only ever used Hershey's and then tried the Hershey's dark. I wonder about mixing some of the dk Hershey's w/ the reg Hershey's. Baricat pls post when you try the Aristocrat fr OliveNation and the other one. Let us know if OliveNation has free shipping again on the cocoa, I think I would like to try the Aristocrat. I too saw the Cook's Illustarated thing on cocoa, maybe their referring to as in a pie, cake, etc where the slightly more choc. flavor wouldn't be as pronounced as in a cup of hot chocolate or a fudge sauce. Dunno, this post is me telling you about 2 cocoa powders and thinking aloud. If I were to love the Valrhona at that price, it would certainly stay in "only for my household" cooking....lol. Great info Baricat, thks for pointing me in the direction of "not only Hersheys cocoa".
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Watch the amazon ones, there are a lot of reviews that say it's not the real Valrhona.
Also someone seems to be repackaging it and selling it with no seal on the containers.
Just read reviews if the price seems too good

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

In our exchanges, JJJ'sMom initially wanted to know a little more about Dutch process cocoas vs the ubiquitous Hershey's. I told her, in essence, that the two main differences were the depth and purity of chocolate flavor, as well as the lack of acid bite that Dutch process cocoa offers over Hershey's. The question was essentially was it worth the higher price tag.

I told her to make two cups of hot cocoa, one using Rodelle, one using Hershey, to be consumed side-by-side. She relates the result of her head-to-head comparison above.

As for is Hershey's fine for "everyday" baking, which I would assume, means for cookie-jar cookies, mid-week brownies you make for the kids, or cakes on which you will heap frosting or whipped cream. Of course it is! People have been using it for generations. Who doesn't remember that brown, rectangular can of it in Grandma's pantry? Those cookies mom had waiting for us on the cooling rack when we trooped in after school were always yummy!

As much as we loved those, Hershey's chocolate/cocoa is very acidic. That's why Europeans think American chocolate is plain awful. Their palates find the acid bite repulsive, as their chocolate is most always alkalized, or Dutched. Their palates are not used to pronounced acid in chocolate; ours are. Sometimes you might want that, seeing as it's what you've grown up with, and that taste appeals to our most visceral memories. It's comfort food.

But as I told her, Dutch processing removes that acidic edge, leaving only smoothness on the palate. Additionally, it allows a more deep, round chocolate flavor to bloom in your baked good. Another ancillary perk is a deeper color. Hershey's Special Dark may proximate the color of Dutch process cocoa, but it's not even close in the flavor. I actually tried it twice. I felt it ruined both items and threw it out. To me, it tasted plain nasty.

I pointed her toward Rodelle brand, available in 1-1/2 pound bags, on Amazon. Whereas it's not Dröste or Valrhona, it's a great, middle-of-the-road option that's reasonable enough to use for said "everyday" baking. I keep some Hershey's around, but I use it less and less frequently, preferring to spend the bit more for the Rodelle. I don't believe in food snobbery. I don't have to use premium cocoa in everything. There's a place for lower priced options in your kitchen. But what governs what you use is first, foremost, and always, taste.

When I make a special dessert, I will bite the bullet and crack out the Dröste. Since I just bought a pound of Valrhona, and like it every bit as well, I will use that interchangeably. I also tend to use a premium cocoa for direct kitchen-to-table products, meaning those that will not be combined with many other ingredients and baked. My most frequent call for that use is mousse, hot chocolate, or ice creams. When the chocolate is the star of the show, it really pays off big to use your best cocoa. It always blows their socks off!

It would be nice to use it all the time, but it ratchets the price up several notches. That's why it pays to keep an option that is almost as good in your quiver.

So for that triple fudge layer cake, chocolate crinkles, or most brownies, the Rodelle is a more than respectable option. Rodelle is the workhorse chocolate in my kitchen. Again, not up to the standard of nuanced excellence that a premium cocoa boasts, but really, really good, delivering consistently, dependably great results. It's an affordable upgrade, as JJJ'sMom points out so well.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Cocoa Throwdown

I just made three small cups of cocoa, using almond milk, a couple of drops of sweetener, and 3 different cocoas.

Cup 1: Valrhona
Cup 2: Aristocrat 22/24
Cup 3: Rodelle

No surprise, the Valrhona won easily. By a LONG shot. Duh.

But big surprise between 2 and 3. The Aristocrat costs more than the Rodelle.

The flavor of the Rodelle was much deeper, richer than the Aristocrat, which was surprisingly anemic. And not only the flavor was weak. The color was, as well.

So since I bought a pound of the Aristocrat and don't want to throw it out, I'll likely combine it with the Rodelle, so as not to waste it totally. It's not awful. OK flavor (what there was of it.) Not unpleasant, just dilute. So I'll combine it, and use a bit more of the combo to deliver adequate chocolate flavor. Or maybe I'll combine it with .75 part Rodelle, 1 part Aristocrat, and .25 part Valrhona. That might help minimize the weakness of flavor in the Aristocrat. Will experiment until I can cut my losses effectively.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
CarolynF

Just ordered a pound of the Valrhona.. can't wait to try it!!!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Cocoa throwdown.....lol, love it Baricat. Thks for that info. Not going to order the Aristocrat. But have just added Valrhona to my "Christmas List" that hubby asks for.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn, I'm so glad you ordered it, and I predict that you will be, too. Be sure to give that hot buttered chocolate rum sauce a try once you get it. Seriously, you'll think you died and went to heaven on a cloud!

JJJ, yeah, that Aristocrat was the biggest nothing burger since Geraldo Rivera opened Al Capone's vault!! With that high a percentage (22-24%) of cocoa butter (most cocoas have in the neighborhood of 12%) I was expecting it to set records for fudgy lusciousness. Ah, well. I shouldn't complain. It really isn't bad. Just completely underwhelming. And it's always been my philosophy that life is too short to eat mediocre chocolate.

I still have that Blommer Jet Black to try. Just didn't want to open that one, too, until I use some of what I've broken into already. I'm kinda drowning in cocoa right now. I can so see using the Blommer's to make whoopie pies. So dark it really does look jet black!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 AM   #11
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
My favorite over the past few years has been Guittard Chocolate Cocoa Rouge Cocoa Powder Unsweetened.
It has a smooth, chocolate taste with a lot of depth.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #12
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Ooooo yes, Dottie. Thanks for the reminder. I love the Guittard Rouge, as well. It was used exclusively in the pastry arts classes when I was in culinary arts school. I think I just had such a thing for Dröste, and kept going back to that well. But I agree that the smoothness and taste of Rouge is tough to beat, and that mahogany red lift is quite pretty. The only thing about it is sometimes you want a darker color. I preferred that, so I believe that's part of why I became so obsessed with Dröste. I have no idea where the Rouge falls on the price list, but my guess would be it's in the neighborhood of Dröste and Valrhona.

But I'd definitely add Rouge to that list of the stellar, breed-apart cocoas. Good call.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Baricat, besides Olive Nation and Amazon, have you found any other reliable online sources for chocolate, preferably one that has occasional sales? No way I can find the good stuff in stores here. Any thoughts on some of King Arthur's chocolates?

Thanks!

Ginny in SC
Old 11-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Ginny, are you talking cocoa or chocolate?

King Arthur sells pretty much exclusively quality products, but the trouble with them is they don't have many sales (I was trying to think of ever hearing of serious price reductions, and couldn't) and their shipping is prohibitive. So I generally steer clear of them, and buy the same product from Amazon or at OliveNation, cheaper. Those are the two from which I buy most frequently. Watch the sales at ON, and you can do pretty well. Amazon, with their Prime shipping, is often the best deal, as they have access to purveyors of almost every brand out there. Their price may seem higher, but when you factor in shipping, Amazon Prime almost invariably comes out on top.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
valentine319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: valentine319
WOE: Low Carb Gourmet Style
Start Date: 8/15/2012, Restarting 3/8/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Watch the amazon ones, there are a lot of reviews that say it's not the real Valrhona.
Also someone seems to be repackaging it and selling it with no seal on the containers.
Just read reviews if the price seems too good
If the amazon one does not come in the valrhona cocoa box send it back. I tend to order my cocoa and chocolate through worldwidechocolate. I absolutely love eating chocolate discs with peanut butter. I love the valrhona cocoa. Right now Worldwide is running 10% off. I love the belcolade Noir Absolu discs no sugar . It's belgium chocolate made on the former callebaut chocolate machinery. You can call the company and discuss what you are looking for. I was so happy with the customer service I don't use other places to buy it. Sign up for the discounts. There are times they run 20% off. Right now it's 10%.

There are a few where they break the chocolate down into smaller packages (1 lb bags)but I can taste the slightest amount of sugar. They sent me a prepaid return label and sent me the belcolade brand. They did not argue with me. Great customer service.

It's not cocoa but my favorites are the belcolade which I prefer more than callebaut. If you want a really pricey chocolate that's amazing? MICHEL CLUIZEL FRENCH CHOCOLATE - NOIR INFINI COUVERTURE PASTILLES BITTER CHOCOLATE CHIPS, 99% COCOA is amazing.

Looking forward to adding in more cocoas to the mix next. thanks for all the great recommends. I personally am odd and can eat the unsweetened discs with just peanut butter on top.

Started 8/15/12, restarted 2/18/16
valentine319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Many thanks for the great info, valentine! I am so there, on the worldwidechocolate website, when I'm done here. And thank you for the pointer on the Michel Cluizel. I've heard of it before, but never had it. It's kinda the stuff of legends. Chocolate, particularly premium chocolate, is my crack cocaine, so I'm doubly pleased with your help. Are you on a mailing list for them so you get emails when they have sales?
Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #17
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Thk you Valentine on the heads up of that site. Have never seen it but looks amazing.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #18
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

THANK YOU, Baricat and Valentine. On my way to check out worldwide.

Can't have too many sources for chocolate, now can we?

Ginny in SC
Old 11-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #19
CarolynF

Got my Valrhona yesterday. I made a cup of hot chocolate with a heaping teaspoon of cocoa, bit of salt, sweetener, half/half and water. The cocoa is very mild tasting, no bitterness.. yummy

Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #20
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I still love my Droste..it's the moste.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #21
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

You'll get no argument here, Barbo. It was my first (cocoa) love, and as the saying goes, you never forget your first. I've always been an extremely passionate Dröste aficionada.

But I have to say, I like the Valrhona every bit as well. Never thought I'd find anything as good, so no one is more surprised than I.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #22
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Ordered some Valrhona the other day. Haven't had it in a few years.
Am really looking forward to becoming reacquainted with it. Weather has chilled down.
Hot cocoa, here I come!

Ginny in SC
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oooooo, Ginny! Let us know what you think.

It's about 83 degrees, brilliant blue skies and low humidity. If I didn't have 500 things to do, it would be a perfect beach day. But heck, no matter. I drink hot cocoa any time of year, just on general principles, particularly with that Valrhona. I'd drink that stuff out of a rusty tin cup!!!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #24
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Eat Fat Get Thin
Start Date: June 2016
Cat - sorry to be high maintenance - and heaven forbid! - not to cut in to your beach time, but could you please post what you are using as Kevin's Final mix? I searched it on the forum, found a post from 2009 with someone asking for it, and he posted a link which went back to a 2007 recipe that still used wheat starch, and he was still calling it "cake and cookie mix":

1 cup LC cake or cookie flour mix (9 carbs)

1/2 cup carbquik
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant wheat starch 75
1 tsp not/Sugar

The temperature here is now 48°, up 20 from this morning, and the nearest beach would be...1,200 miles away, so it's a good day to be huddled over a warm computer, reading about Hot Chocolate. I had no IDEA cocoa was that complicated, and I vow to upgrade just as soon as I use up the rest of my Yellow Label Brand
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #25
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Cat- here I am thanking you again for Valrhona, bochasweet, and your special sweetening mix. I never knew about any other cocoa except Hershey’s. Really, where have I been under a rock? I’ve been married and cooking/baking for 55 years too. Anyway, I will be trying all the other chocolates mentioned here now.

I ordered the Valrhona recently and the first thing I used it for was Carolyn Ketchum’s German chocolate brownie recipe. I used your special sweetener mix too. This brownie was delicious with deep rich chocolate flavor. I baked it according to her direction for fudgy brownies. Now that I know the difference between Hershey’s and really great chocolate I won’t be going back.

Thanks, Cat.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #26
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Aw, shucks, Barbara! You are just WAY too kind. And that's the truth!

About the cocoa, there are lots of folks who aren't aware that there's a whole new world of chocolate flavor out there. In fact, the thread was in response to someone who had messaged me (JJJsMom) who had only ever used Hershey's and wanted more information about the Dutch process I had written about in another post.

As I remember writing to her at the time, I, like everyone else in the US, had only ever known Hershey's, too. After all, it's what our moms used, and what their moms used, and probably their moms before that. Who doesn't remember Grandmas's chocolate cake, always made with Hershey cocoa?

I have to credit my time earning 12 credit hours in pastry arts with opening my eyes. I remember vividly the first time I had something we had baked in bakeshop. It was a chocolate cheesecake. It was as if I had been hit by lightning! The chocolate flavor blew me away! It was like a whole, new flavor to me. And, it was dangerously addictive.

The next day, I was at a local gourmet shop, spending a fortune on a small 8.8 ounce box of Dröste cocoa. Since then, I can't tell you how many pounds of various brands of Dutch process cocoa I've gone through. That's a big part of how I got to be so heavy. Now, I've found I can enjoy it just as much to make things that won't make me pack in the pounds. Paired with BochaSweet, the best sweetener for chocolate available, it's a combo fit to make Escoffier positively weep for joy.

I have a (very old) can of Hershey's in the pantry, and it's suffering from severe neglect. Occasionally, if it's a genuine Hershey recipe, such as Black Magic Cake, I'll use some. But even then, I can't resist cutting it half and half with Rodelle. Hershey's can't come close to the depth of pure chocolate indulgence.

I'm so glad you gave it a whirl. A good Dutch process cocoa cannot be matched for taste, depth, nuance, and results yielding pure, decadent enjoyment.