Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Traditional Cranberry Sauce

First, let me lead off with a big nod to Char's contemporary take on cranberry sauce. It's awesome!

But sometimes, for the diehard traditionalists among us, we want something a little less uptown.

That's why I set out to recreate my once-a-year, traditional cranberry sauce, LC style, for the homies to enjoy. I set out to do a LC remake of the one my family knows and loves.

Formerly, I used a 12 ounce bag of cranberries, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup orange juice. Well, obviously, the sugar and orange juice are OUT.

The sugar was easy. I used 1/2 cup BochaSweet and 1/2 cup of my mixed blend. But the orange juice; what to do? Thought about it awhile, and it came to me. A cup of Diet 7Up! And to get that lovely, fresh orange burst of flavor, I grated the zest of two oranges into it.

It made 2 cups. Since the only carbs come from the cranberries, the count is 36, minus 13.8 grams of fiber, for a total of 22.2 for the whole shebang. Allowing generous servings of 1/4 cup, it comes to 2.8 net grams per serving.

* One 12 ounce bag of cranberries
* 1 cup equivalent of sweetener of choice
* grated zest of two oranges
* 1 cup Diet 7Up

Combine everything in a non-reactive saucepan, and stir over medium heat until sweetener is dissolved. Allow to cook at a simmer or very gentle, low boil for 10-12 minutes, depending on how thick you want it to be. Remember that cranberries are loaded with pectin and will thicken significantly more as the sauce cools.

Allow to cool and refrigerate. The fresh, clean citrus flavor which is obvious at first, melds into a secondary role after 12 hours in the fridge. It leaves a refreshingly clean, crisp cranberry taste. And if you have it, I highly recommend the BochaSweet. With it, this tastes exactly like the real thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my new Low Carb Friends!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
QueenBacon
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/159/135
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I may have to try this, even though I typically eat off plan for thanksgiving
I HATE CANNED CRANBERRY SAUCE!
My kids have been making me buy bags of the fresh cranberries and they eat them as a snack (ick) lol
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Now those are some cool kids, Queen!

Like you, I detest canned cranberry sauce, too. It tastes NOTHING like fresh cranberries, and it's just plain, mushy nasty!

BUT, with this, you'd be hard pressed to tell this apart from the full sugar version. I have to cop to a minor disclaimer that I never tried it pre-BochaSweet, so I don't know if other sweeteners will deliver the same sugar-like taste, particularly with non LCers.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Here is mine

Whole Berry Cranberry sauce
3 cups whole cranberries
1/2 cup water 1/2 cup Torani or DaVinci orange syrup
Artificial sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)

I add grated orange peel, and a sprinkle of cloves and cinnamon. I have even used a bit of MIO orange.

Put all ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Smush with a potato masher or the back of a big spoon.

Cool or serve hot.

This makes 2 pints at 18g carbs per pint, a little over 1g carbs per 2 tbsp serving if made with liquid sucralose.

This is good hot with all kinds of meat…pork, poultry, lamb, etc., and cold on low carb scones, biscuits, pancakes or waffles.

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-22-2017 at 01:56 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I've been a bit hesitant on trying the bochasweet. After the problems I had with Dreamfields Pasta, and the mess it made of my husband's blood sugar, I've been hesitant to try new "no carb" products until there is more testing of their claims. I have made the squash, and it did spike his blood sugar a bit, but not as much as butternut.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Baricat, thanks for your reply to the other post re using Bocha Sweet to make cranberry sauce. I think I will take a risk and make my recipe with half BS and half xylitol. Xylitol has always worked fabulously in this recipe and I think BS will only improve it. Erythritol, sadly, does not work at all — it does recrystallize in this. Here’s my recipe:

1 cup tawny port
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cup sugar sub
1 12-oz bag cranberries

Boil first three ingredients in non reactive saucepan 5 minutes. Stir in cranberries. Bring back to boil, then turn down to simmer, stirring constantly, at least 5 minutes more, or until it’s good and thick. Chill until firm Enjoy!

As good as this is, there is still one relative that insists on eating sliced canned cranberry sauce. Sigh.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:23 AM   #7
LowCarbConvert
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbConvert
Stats: (147/120/115) 5'
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
Erythritol, sadly, does not work at all — it does recrystallize in this. Here’s my recipe:
I'm glad I came here this morning.

Karen
LowCarbConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Mine is similar to the traditional recipe, subbing out the sugar, of course. For flavor, I add in a couple of tablespoons of Cointreau (or Triple Sec) at the end. Sometimes a little grated orange rind, sometimes not. Sometimes half a grated apple cooked with the berries.

I'll have to try Baricat's recipe. Sounds delicious!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I am thankful for all of you and your great recipes, hints, and ideas.

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Since Bochasweet is closely related to xylitol, does anyone know if it is also poisonous to dogs? My dog's nickname is Roomba.

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-23-2017 at 07:48 AM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Sharon, my husband had given his ice cream bowl to our dog to lick many times before I knew he had, without any ill effects whatsoever. I would have freaked out, had I seen him do it! But now I find out, after the fact, and it was all good. We have a 17 pound Westie, 11 years old.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #11
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
I've been a bit hesitant on trying the bochasweet. After the problems I had with Dreamfields Pasta, and the mess it made of my husband's blood sugar, I've been hesitant to try new "no carb" products until there is more testing of their claims. I have made the squash, and it did spike his blood sugar a bit, but not as much as butternut.
Sharon, you can read on the BochaSweet thread, about my personal experiences and experiments with it. I'm diabetic, and I approached using a BochaSweet with heavy skepticism, since there wasn't a lot of explanation available that told me much of anything. So I tested my blood sugar at three different intervals to monitor its effects.

But since each person's metabolism, exercise level, age, and diabetic response vary widely, I suggest starting with the smallest order possible, then test meticulously to assess how BochaSweet affects your husband's sugar levels. If he has close to the same effects I've had, it won't be long before you lace a bigger order. As always, YMMV.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
QueenBacon
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/159/135
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I did this but I used lemon (didn't have orange) and splenda for the sweetener.. OMG TURNED OUT AMAZING, first time ever I loved cranberry sauce!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Cat. I have a package of WheyLow in the cupboard that spiked his sugar. It is very expensive to become a pantry ornament.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
I did this but I used lemon (didn't have orange) and splenda for the sweetener.. OMG TURNED OUT AMAZING, first time ever I loved cranberry sauce!
Great news, Queen! Sounds like you had an excellent Thanksgiving, between your bacon-latticed turkey and the cranberry sauce. <Applause, applause!>
Old 11-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks, Cat. I have a package of WheyLow in the cupboard that spiked his sugar. It is very expensive to become a pantry ornament.
I've done that, too, Sharon. Very annoying and wastefully expensive. Unfortunately, even in small amounts this stuff is pricey, but there's just no other way to figure out if it's going to work or not for your husband. If it does, however, the payoff will be so worth it.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #16
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Will try your recipe Sharon, but as I have no orange syrup what about if
I made an orange sf gelatin syrup. Think it may work out?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Will try your recipe Sharon, but as I have no orange syrup what about if
I made an orange sf gelatin syrup. Think it may work out?
Anything to give that orange flavor. I've used mio, Wylers no aspartame orange powder, etc. Shasta diet orange soda works...it's made with splenda. Aspartame gets bitter when heated, so most diet sodas don't take well to heating. Shasta doesn't use aspartame.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #18
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Update: Made my recipe with half Bocha Sweet. Turned out great!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #19
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Anything to give that orange flavor. I've used mio, Wylers no aspartame orange powder, etc. Shasta diet orange soda works...it's made with splenda. Aspartame gets bitter when heated, so most diet sodas don't take well to heating. Shasta doesn't use aspartame.
Bitterness did not occur with the Diet 7Up. I imagine that Sprite, Diet Mountain Dew or Fresca could work, as well.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #20
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
First, let me lead off with a big nod to Char's contemporary take on cranberry sauce. It's awesome!

But sometimes, for the diehard traditionalists among us, we want something a little less uptown.

That's why I set out to recreate my once-a-year, traditional cranberry sauce, LC style, for the homies to enjoy. I set out to do a LC remake of the one my family knows and loves.

Formerly, I used a 12 ounce bag of cranberries, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup orange juice. Well, obviously, the sugar and orange juice are OUT.

The sugar was easy. I used 1/2 cup BochaSweet and 1/2 cup of my mixed blend. But the orange juice; what to do? Thought about it awhile, and it came to me. A cup of Diet 7Up! And to get that lovely, fresh orange burst of flavor, I grated the zest of two oranges into it.

It made 2 cups. Since the only carbs come from the cranberries, the count is 36, minus 13.8 grams of fiber, for a total of 22.2 for the whole shebang. Allowing generous servings of 1/4 cup, it comes to 2.8 net grams per serving.

* One 12 ounce bag of cranberries
* 1 cup equivalent of sweetener of choice
* grated zest of two oranges
* 1 cup Diet 7Up

Combine everything in a non-reactive saucepan, and stir over medium heat until sweetener is dissolved. Allow to cook at a simmer or very gentle, low boil for 10-12 minutes, depending on how thick you want it to be. Remember that cranberries are loaded with pectin and will thicken significantly more as the sauce cools.

Allow to cool and refrigerate. The fresh, clean citrus flavor which is obvious at first, melds into a secondary role after 12 hours in the fridge. It leaves a refreshingly clean, crisp cranberry taste. And if you have it, I highly recommend the BochaSweet. With it, this tastes exactly like the real thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my new Low Carb Friends!
I made this for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful. Thank you, Cat, for another great recipe.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Many thanks, Barbara, for letting us know this turned out so well for you! The fresh orange taste is the key. I very nearly resorted to the sugar free orange syrup out of desperation, but if the orange flavor isn't the real thing, it's just a poor imitation.

This is simple, a celebration of the squeaky clean, exquisitely fresh taste of the humble cranberry. I never cared much for cranberry sauce until I started making this (albeit with sugar and fresh-squeezed orange juice) years ago. This really captures that same flavor. I could eat it with a spoon! We accidentally left the container at our daughter's house, and by the time we realized it the next day, her husband had hoovered every speck.

So I'll have to make some more while cranberries are still around. BTW, if you have any leftovers, try making LindaSue's pound cake. Put half the batter in the pan, spread it with a generous layer of cranberry sauce, then top with the remaining batter. Add 5-10 minutes more baking time. Not only delicious, but beautifully festive, as well. Also freezes well.

Thanks again, Barbara!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #22
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Cat, I really couldn’t believe how good it was. I’ve been making fresh cranberry sauce for many years and they were never this good. I put two containers in the freezer and I’ve been eating the third container all week. I love cranberry sauce with so many things so I’m going to make and freeze a lot. I always buy the fresh bags and freeze so I have all year. Time to gather up for the freezer now before they disappear soon.

Thanks for the idea with Linda Sues pound cake I will definitely try it.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #23
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I made it recently by the recipe on the back of the bag. I substituted the equivalence of sweetener that it called for and let it bubble till the skins popped. I stirred in a packet of unflavored gelatin into the mixture while it was still hot and put it in the refrigerator. It was just perfect.
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:18 AM   #24
replay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
WOE: Keto/LCHF/IF/insulin resistance reversal
Quote:
My dog's nickname is Roomba.
LMAO!!!!