Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #151
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Half BS

I made this fudge sauce today using only half BS and half my proprietary mix (erythritol, stevia, and Just like Sugar) and the results were pretty much equivalent to when I used all BS. I could not tell I hadn't used 100% BS.

So far, every one of my 50/50 experiments have been like this, delivering the superior sweetening of BS, with the ability to stretch or extend your BS X 2. Not that the proprietary sweetener is super cheap, of course, but it's a lot less pricey than BS. So your BS can go twice as far, without sacrificing any of the superior, natural sweetening. I'm immensely encouraged by each of the four different items I've tried, but be sure to check it out it for yourself to see if you agree.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #152
niccofive
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: niccofive
Stats: lost 65 lbs. / in maintenance
WOE: Low Carb my way, for maintenance
Start Date: Oct 2014
I want to say a big thank you to everyone on this thread for all the experimentation and information you have shared. I am just hearing about BochaSweet (I love kabocha squash!) and it sounds like a real winner.

I have not gotten the hang of LC sweeteners or LC flours yet; I find it so overwhelming. I read threads like the long ones of KevinPa but they go through so many changes as new things come out that I become hopelessly confused and give up.

Still, I like following along and learning and I might just get brave enough to try Bochasweet!

My journal:
Zigging When I was Supposed to Zag- Figuring Out Maintenance a Day at a Time
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
"..as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
niccofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #153
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Leeann, I did the exact same thing when I found this forum about 8 months ago. I stayed up late almost every night just reading and reading. Only read for the first month.

I can relate to Kevin's threads! Same here, so very confusing. Was so excited about the bread, I didn't read far enough, and made his first bread recipe. Not exactly a resounding success. Finally got it all sorted out, though. You'll get there, too.

So much information, so little time.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #154
niccofive
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: niccofive
Stats: lost 65 lbs. / in maintenance
WOE: Low Carb my way, for maintenance
Start Date: Oct 2014
Cat, You've got that right!

I will likely get to it eventually. I have, for the most part, found that many subs don't "do it for me" but I also know that now that I'm three years in, I need to find workable subs to keep me strong.

My journal:
Zigging When I was Supposed to Zag- Figuring Out Maintenance a Day at a Time
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
"..as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
niccofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #155
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Leeann, I'm certain you will be really happy with your BochaSweet purchase when you choose to make it. Just be sure to remember that it needs to be used in something that will be baked/cooked, boiled at some point in the recipe (like a pudding or sauce) or combined with an acid (vinegar, lemon or lime juice) ingredient in the recipe. If the recipe doesn't include either measure, then powdering it finely in a coffee mill will be necessary in order to avoid grittiness in your finished product.

With its prohibitive price tag, it's worthwhile to explore other sweeteners. Before BochaSweet, I had been unable to find any one single sweetener that cut it for me. No matter which one I tried, the taste just wasn't right, or I experienced spectacular gastric cataclysms.

Out of necessity, I experimented with several blends, finally settling on a mix of erythritol, stevia, and Just Like Sugar (chicory root) which I powder together. It makes an excellent, natural-tasting sugar sub all by itself, although BochaSweet is better still. You can use half BochaSweet and half the mix (or other sweetener of your choice) and still enjoy all the pluses as if you had used 100% BochaSweet. This helps your BochaSweet investment (and it costs so much that rest assured, it DOES qualify as an investment) go twice the distance for you.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #156
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
I still can't believe how much my daughter and I like this sweetener. My cookies taste so much better.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #157
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I hear ya Chele, I still love it. Still just using it for coffee but so thrilled every time that I make a cup, if this is all that I use it for, I consider it a true LC success.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote