Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Lasagna For Dinner

I got the initial inspiration for this recipe, plus the noodle technique from a LC blog (don't remember which off the top of my head.) I've revised it to the point that's it's loved by even HC people. The secret is the "noodles," which wasn't my idea, but it's the bee's knees!!

They are baked in one piece, in a 9"x13" parchment-lined pan, refrigerated about 20 minutes until firm, then cut into thirds. This will give you 3 perfect sized "noodles" to fit exactly into an 8-1/2"x4-1/2" loaf pan, in which you will construct your lasagna. One of these is the perfect size for dinner for my husband and me. He has 2/3, and 1/3 is perfect for me.

If you need to serve more people, just make more noodles (they may be made up to 4 days in advance and refrigerated until you need them) and more pans of lasagna, figuring one pan per 2 people. This is a great recipe for people who work. You can make the noodles and sauce ahead of time, and everything goes together fast. The bake time is relatively short, and if you set your oven before you begin construction, by the time you're done, the oven will be ready.

Noodles
*4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
*2 eggs

Beat together with whisk or electric mixer until completely combined.

*2 cup package shredded mozzarella, divided (1-1/4 cup for the noodles, 3/4 cup for the constructing the lasagna)
*1/4 cup grated Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese
*1/8 tsp onion powder
*1/4 tsp basil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together with the egg/cream cheese until well blended.
Line a 9"x13" glass pan with parchment.
Pour in noodle mixture, and take care to smooth out as evenly and flatly as possible.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove the noodle and lay it flat in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
Remove from the fridge, and set the long side toward you. Slice in 3 equal pieces.
You may either Wrap either individually, or together, with waxed paper or parchment between each noodle until ready to use (up to 4 days in advance if wrapped well) or prepare the lasagna now.

To construct your lasagna:

*Your favorite marinara or meat sauce
*1/2 cup ricotta
*the 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella left from your 8 oz (2 cup) bag you opened for the noodles
*1/4 cup grated Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese

Spread a thin coating of sauce in the bottom of an 8-1/2"x4-1/2" loaf pan.

Top with one of your 3 cut "noodles."

Spread half of the ricotta on the noodle. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella. Sprinkle with 2 Tb grated Parmesan (or grated cheese of choice.)

Pour 2-3 Tb of your sauce over. First layer is now complete.

Repeat.

End with the last noodle, spread with 2 Tb sauce, and sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until starting to bubble, and cheese on top is melted.

Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Cut and serve. (I find it easiest when it's hot to cut into 3 pieces, and use an offset spatula to get underneath each piece to lift as cleanly as possible.) It looks like a piece of normal lasagna, and there's a better than average chance you family will never know this is "diet food!"

Reheats really well in the microwave (if there's any left over. Better plan to make a second pan!)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
FYI Addendum

Forgot to mention that this lasagna should not be constructed in advance. It's important only to do so as close as possible to when you plan to bake it. If assembled in advance, the liquid in the sauce could absorb into the "noodles," and their texture would become mushy and/or gummy.

The lasagna assembles really fast, close to the amount of time it takes your oven to preheat. It cooks in 20 minutes, so assuming you have the noodles and your sauce premade, this is super easy to make for a weeknight meal.

To save time, make the noodles and sauce a day or two (or three) in advance. These noodles freeze well if frozen individually wrapped and stacked flat.