Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Sunny K
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny K
Help finding Kevinpas Soft Pretzel Recipe

I’ve spent the last few days pouring over Kevinpas Simple White Bread thread, and loving every minute of it. He was an incredible person.
I’ve seen mentioned a Pretzel recipe there. I even found a link in that thread to the Pretzel recipe, but when I click on it I get an error page that comes up and says to contact administration if I believe the error is incorrect. I’m just hoping someone still has the Pretzel recipe and that they can share it with me.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sunny K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
After googleing, I found someone here who found it for someone else who was inquiring back in 2016; it's post #18 on this page...but forget about accessing the pictures.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=713550
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Sunny K
Junior LCF Member

Thank You so much for this link...I’ve been so excited for this recipe since reading in one of the threads that it could possibly substitute for bagels. I adored bagels before my doc said limit carbs, now I can maybe indulge again ❤️
Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny K View Post
Thank You so much for this link...I’ve been so excited for this recipe since reading in one of the threads that it could possibly substitute for bagels. I adored bagels before my doc said limit carbs, now I can maybe indulge again ❤️
Here is a bagel recipe (Note: the barley malt syrup is what gives them that "real" bagel flavor. It is available from Amazon or King Arthur Flour.

Bagels

Dough

1 tablespoon malt syrup
1 tbsp yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
12 oz warm water
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
1 3/8 cup Carbalose flour
2 cups wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
1 tablespoon thick it up

Poaching liquid

2 to 3 quarts water
2 tablespoons malt syrup
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Place in breadmaker or mixer with dough hook. Add the malt syrup.

Add the water, and knead for 10 minutes. Dough will be very stiff.

Let rest 10 minutes.

Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with cooking spray. (It will stick to the parchment if you don’t).

Cut into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a rope and join the ends to make a bagel shape. Brush with oil or spray with cooking spray.

Allow to rise in a warm place for only about 15 minutes. While they are rising, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Bring poaching water to a boil and add malt syrup, baking soda and salt.

Check whether the bagels are ready for baking using the “float test”: Place one of the bagels in a small bowl of cold water. If it sinks and doesn’t float back to the surface, shake it off, return it to the pan, and wait for another 15 to 20 minutes, then test it again. When one bagel passes the float test, they’re all ready to be boiled. If they pass the float test before you are ready to boil and bake them, put them in the refrigerator so they don’t overproof.

Drop bagels two or three at a time in the boiling water. Cook 1 minute, flip over and boil one more minute, then transfer to baking sheet. Sprinkle with toppings while still wet, or wait till all are boiled, then brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle on toppings (see below).

Place a second, empty cookie sheet in the oven and transfer the pan of bagels to the oven, then lower the oven heat to 400°F. (Doubling the pan will insulate the first baking sheet and keep the bottoms from getting too brown.)

Bake for 8 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for another 8 to 12 minutes, until the bagels are a golden brown.

Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing or serving.

Top your bagels with any combination of the following garnishes: “everything” bagel mix (see below), poppy seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, coarse salt, or rehydrated dried onions or garlic. (Soak dried onions or garlic in water to cover for at least 1 hour before applying.) The toppings will stick even better if you first brush the top of each bagel with an egg white wash made by whisking 1 egg white with 1 tablespoon (0.5 oz / 14 g) of water. If using coarse salt as a garnish, remember that a little goes a long way.

“everything” bagel topping

1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
2 teaspoons chia seeds or poppy seeds
1 tablespoon dried onions
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Old 02-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Sunny K
Junior LCF Member

Awesome!! Thank you so much for the bagel recipe as well. Going to have to get some malt and give that recipe a whirl 😁
Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Don't know where you live, but check to see if there is a homebrew supply in your area - you can buy the malt syrup from them; seems to me it was less expensive than what Amazon wants for the stuff. Be advised that there are lots of variants in it for beer brewing though - I'd just go with a light one.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Sunny K
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for that hint Charski. I have a home brew and winery about 30 miles from me that I absolutely adore but haven't been to in a while, think I'll take a swing by next week! 😊