Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #121
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
Baricat—I just got my BochaSweet shipment and was thinking about making my usual port cranberry sauce with it instead of the Xylitol I’ve been using for years (erythritol does not work for this one). Do you think it will recristalize? Xylitol has always worked fabulously. Hate to waste good sweetener.
Hi, Linda!

No, there has been no recrystallization in anything I've made, with the one exception of the chocolate bar. And even that wasn't REcrystallization. It never DEcrystallized! I was able to identify the reason. BochaSweet needs to be heated sufficiently in order for it to dissolve completely, which seems to happen just before the boiling point. Alternatively, you can denature the crystals by adding acid. Because cranberries are highly acidic, that may well be enough. I used lemon juice in my experiment when I established that acid did equally well at denaturing the crystalline structure as heating. The acid I used was lemon juice in varying concentrations, as well as mayonnaise (vinegar.)

Most cranberry sauce recipes I've ever dealt with call for cooking. If yours does, you can rest assured that it will be perfect, and smooth as a baby's cheek. I believe that even if it's not cooked, the acid will give the same smooth results. But since TDay isn't the best time for experimentation, and I've never relied only on only cranberries without cooking, it isn't a 100% sure thing. 99.5% sure, but I'm afraid if I say I know it will, and I were responsible for wrecking your TDay dinner, I'd never forgive myself!

You can read about my cranberry sauce results using half BochaSweet in the thread called "Traditional Cranberry Sauce." Subbing 100% BochaSweet will give excellent results, as well. The sole reason I've been using 50/50 BS with my custom blended grind (erythritol, stevia, and Just Like Sugar) to try to save on the super costly BochaSweet.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #122
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Barbo, I go through caraway seeds so fast they don't have a chance to get stale LOL. I also use them in my sweet and sour red cabbage, and both it and the pumpernickel bread are on our menu most every week.

I'm so glad you are having success with the breads. I sometimes get discouraged when people can't get the recipe to work right for them. It usually turns out that they have changed something in the recipe. It took a LONG time and many failures to get the recipe right. Sometimes the smallest tweaks can cause it to fail. I often substitute for the 8000. Usually I just sub more 5000 for the 8000 to make a softer crust for rolls and hamburger buns.

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-21-2017 at 08:18 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #123
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
thanks to you we had cinnamon, raisin pecan toast

with our soft buttery scrambled eggs, and a pile of bacon.
Last time I used part of the bread for a pudding. Very yummy.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #124
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One more time

You need all of your ingredients gathered before attempting.
Room temp eggs and other ingredients work well. I am amazed at
how high and how quickly they rise. I hope when folks read your
bread recipes that they realize you are talking about one tablespoon of
yeast and not one packet???

I have your cook book, shall try your sweet/sour cabbage recipe
Old 11-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #125
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
My husband would eat that red cabbage five times a week if I would make it that often. He loves the stuff.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #126
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Sharon,
I realize that it's been months since we
chatted online. I've been ill and not up to much cooking
as I can't stay on my feet for very long.
However, I must make LC bread so I will take my time on
my feet to do just that.

I use your recipe book quite a bit. So glad you took all of
that time with Kevin experimenting so that we all can have
these delicious breads. It's the one food I've missed most
YEAST BREADS. Everything else we can substitute.
Now we don't have to.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #127
Amhampton
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amhampton
4 Net Carb Rolls/Bread

Here is a low carb rolls/bread recipe that you may want to try. It has the perfect taste and texture, you won't know you're eating low carb. It's work, but it's worth it. Makes great buns for sliders and low carb bread crumbs.

Number of Servings: 16

Ingredients:
2¼ cup Carbquick
2 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Granulated Sugar
¼ cup Vital wheat gluten
½ tsp Guar Gum
1 pk active dry yeast
½ tsp Xanthan Gum
1 tsp salt, table
4 tbsp Ground Golden Flaxseed Meal
1 cup Bottled Water

Directions:
1) Combine ¾ cup of Carbquick, ½ package yeast. Dissolve honey and sugar in 1 cup of the warm water. (Don't use sweaters in place of sugar, they kill yeast instead of feeding them). Mix with dry ingredients in a storage container; cover loosely and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. (I normally let this sit overnight)

2) Add flaxseed to ¼ cup warm water, stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes. (It will become gelatinous)

3) Place the remaining Carbquick, remaining yeast, vital wheat gluten, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, (2 pks of splenda if you want) and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flaxseed mixture and mix until combined. Add the starter from the refrigerator. Mix the mixture on low for 2 to 3 minutes just until it comes together. It will be sticky. Remove the paddle and cover the dough in the bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes.

4) After 20 minutes, switch to the dough hook and knead the dough on medium speed for 20 minutes or until you are able to gently stretch the dough into a thin sheet that light will pass through. The dough will be slightly sticky, but not so sticky that you can't handle it. (If you don't have a stand mixer, you can knead it by hand, it should take you about 30 to 40 min.)

5) While the dough is kneading, pour 2 cups of the boiling hot water into a shallow pan and place on the bottom rack of your oven and turn the oven light on.

6) This dough will only do one rise, so place your dough on the counter and kneed and form into a large ball and cut into quarters. Roll each piece into a ball and cut into quarters again so that you end up with 16 pieces. Roll each into a ball and place on a baking sheet, cover with kitchen towel, set on the rack above the pan of water in the oven and let rise until doubled in size, approximately 1 to 2 hours.

7) Remove tea towl from oven and turn oven on to 350 degrees F. Add more hot water to the shallow pan if it has evaporated. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes.

8) Once the rolls are browned and spring back to the touch, remove from pan and place on a cooling rack. Slather with butter and enjoy.

This will also make a great loaf. It has the taste and texture of normal sandwich bread.

Follow above mixing directions, when kneading is done, hand kneed and form into a smooth cylinder and place into your loaf pan and set on the rack above the pan of water covered with a kitchen towel. Allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 1 to 2 hours.

Remove tea towel from oven and turn oven on to 350 degrees F. Add more hot water to the shallow pan if it has evaporated. Gently slash a line down the center of the dough approximately ⅓ inch deep. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

Once the bread has reached an internal temperature of 190 degrees F, or when tapped it sounds hollow, remove from pan and place on a cooling rack and allow to sit for 30 minutes before slicing.

Makes 1 loaf (16-20 slices), enjoy.
Amhampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #128
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
What gorgeous loaves and rolls! I look forward to giving it a try.