Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2003, 11:32 PM   #151
lgpars
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Does anyone know how to make a fruit topping for a cheesecake...say raspberry perhaps. Do you just heat the raspberries with some Splenda and perhaps add a little Xanthum Gum or something to it to thicken it? I love raspberry topping for a cheesecake.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2003, 12:41 PM   #152
miestake
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miestake
Stats: Reinduction coming up: 242/230/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Reinducted 03-26-07
First, HATS OFF to Beachgirl for sharing such wonderful recipes. I made a regular cheesecake last week and it was gone so fast I never knew what happened (I only had one slice).

Made the Peanut Butter Cheesecake yesterday and will be trying that tonight.

Both times I have made it, even though I have used a rather large piece of aluminum foil, I had water in the springform pan. I was really, really, careful yesterday and was so disappointed when I took it out of the waterbath and it was dripping wet again (the first cheesecase still tasted fine). I am hoping that since the PB one has been in the fridge all day, that it will set again. Why, oh Why am I still getting water in.....???

HELP....
miestake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:50 PM   #153
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
miestake, I would think that the only ways the water could get inside the springform are either the water in the water bath was too deep and it boiled over the edge of the foil or there were holes in the foil.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #154
miestake
Junior LCF Member

Lindasue, thanks for your response. I only filled the water half way up the pan. Not halfway up the springform pan. Perhaps you are right. Good news, it still tastes awesome. Even though I used the dark unsweetened chocolate and not sem-sweet. The consistency is still right...just like a cheesecake. That Beachgirl sure knows her stuff.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #155
miestake
Junior LCF Member

Lindasue, thanks for your response. I only filled the water half way up the pan. Not halfway up the springform pan. Perhaps you are right. Good news, it still tastes awesome. Even though I used the dark unsweetened chocolate and not sem-sweet. The consistency is still right...just like a cheesecake. That Beachgirl sure knows her stuff.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #156
superdoll

Gallery: superdoll
I made the regular cheesecake on tuesday and ate some yesterday - YUM! I tried the choc. almond crust though and it didn't taste too good. I may just make it with regular crust so DH will eat it - I can just eat the cheesecake part. Has anyone tried making the cheesecakes with low-fat cream cheese? I am on SBD and shouldn't be eating full fat cream cheese.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:45 AM   #157
NewWoman
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NewWoman
Stats: 321/310.5/160
WOE: SouthBeach
Start Date: October 4, 2004
Don't Understand What Went Wrong

We tried Beachgirl's Peanut Butter Cheesecake last week and very carefully followed the directions. However, it turned out as hard as a brick. My DH wondered if there shouldn't be sour cream in the recipe. I noticed that there is 3 tbsp in the other recipes.

Aprreciate any help on what might have happened.
NewWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:35 AM   #158
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

NewWoman, I've never made one of Beachgirl's cheesecakes, but looking at the ingredients, it does sound like it would make a very dense, dry sort of cake. I just checked the recipe for one of my non-low carb cheesecakes that calls for half the amount of cream cheese, has twice as many eggs and uses a full pint of sour cream. It's been many years since I've eaten that recipe, but it must be a much creamier cake.

Also, some of Beachgirl's other cheesecakes call for fruit or pumpkin which would add a lot of moisture. It would seem that the peanut butter would help too, though.

Another possibility is that your oven is hotter than most and it was over-baked.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:05 AM   #159
Louise
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Louise
Stats: 185/139/135 post baby!
Start Date: 1/25/06
Quote:
Originally posted by auntie3
What I do when I want to remove the cheesecake from the pan, is line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper - so it is about 3 inches larger than the pan.

Okay, does the parchment paper stick out (under) the sides of the pan? I mean, does it just cover the bottom or does it go up the sides of the pan?

I've made these cheesecakes before, but on for DH and myself. We've never bothered to take it out of the pan . We just let it cool and dig in I am going to try to make a cheesecake for my MIL and her DH for Christmas, and I want it to look nice!

Thanks!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:13 PM   #160
ilovemyfamily

Gallery: ilovemyfamily
I have another question. I've made the blueberry cheesecake and while that was great, I'd love to make another fruit instead of blueberry. Can I make a different fruit and how would that work? Would I just add like frozen raspberries or strawberries instead of the blueberries? Is that acceptable? Do I need to add anything different or additional to the fruit?

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:08 AM   #161
nurseypoo5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 255/230/170
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 6/20/15
if i SMOOSH up the blue berrys, rasberries or black berries, do i just swirl the mixture in with the basic cheescake? does philidelphia brand 1/3 less fat work well in these recipes? It has less carbs, im not sure but something like 1/3 to 1/2 fewer carbs per serving.

Does anyone know what the total carb countwould be using the neufandlen (sp) 1/3 less fat cc?

thanks,
Poo
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:59 PM   #162
Linda in Texas
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda in Texas
Stats: 177.5/Not low enough/125
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/3/06
I've used the 1/3 less fat and couldn't tell a difference. Still excellent. However I usually buy the Walmart brand of cream cheese and I think their 1/3 less fat has more carbs than the regular fat. For some reason I stopped using it and it wasn't because it didn't work well.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:16 PM   #163
makeup
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: makeup
I made the pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving. What a huge success. I believe that letting it sit in the oven overnight made a huge difference. I didnt have the springform pan. Just used an ordinary glass pyrex pan. No water bath either. Only issue is "eating way too much". I will not make this again unless it's a special occasion like next week when my mom visits .LOL

Thanks Again Beachgirl for this wonderful recipe

Makeup
makeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:23 AM   #164
SaucyCranberry
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SaucyCranberry
Oh, my Lord, Beachgirl I want to kiss you and Jazzy for stickying and posting all these!

I made the plain cheesecake last night, used a springform pan, no parchment paper, no water bath. I was careful to mix thoroughly, but not overmix once that last egg was added. Despite me just guessing the conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit on my electric oven, it baked up beautifully and NO CRACKING! Which doesn't bother me if it does crack, but boy did I feel like a real chef. I let it cool a few hours in the oven, but not overnight and it still chilled beautifully and now I wish I'd taken a picture, it looks like something from the Olive Garden's dessert tray.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:59 PM   #165
TVernon
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TVernon
Stats: 177/133/130
WOE: Atkins and The Firm
Start Date: Atkins 1998, Firm 1991
I have made the plain, mocha swirl with a chocolate almond crust and the orange cranberry walnut with a plain almond crust and they have all turned out beautifully. My whole family has been raving about these. They are incredibly creamy. I have used some DaVinci syrup in each one which adds some moisture to the batter and lowers the carbs a bit from the granular Splenda. I also use about half xylitol and half Splenda because it just tastes better in my experience. You can flavor these anyway you like or use what ever fruit you like best, they are very versatile. I have had some water inside the foil too but I just make sure to take the foil off as soon as it comes out of the oven and chill the cake with no wrappings at all for the first 24 hours and everything dries out just fine. The next one will be the coconut cheesecake for my 50th birthday. I am really looking forward to it!

Thanks Beachgirl!
Old 11-30-2003, 06:27 AM   #166
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Quote:
Originally posted by Louise
Okay, does the parchment paper stick out (under) the sides of the pan? I mean, does it just cover the bottom or does it go up the sides of the pan?

I've made these cheesecakes before, but on for DH and myself. We've never bothered to take it out of the pan . We just let it cool and dig in I am going to try to make a cheesecake for my MIL and her DH for Christmas, and I want it to look nice!

Thanks!
The parchment paper sticks out from the bottom of the pan, and goes up around the outside, then when you put the foil on, the foil helps to keep it up the sides. Sorry I didn't explain that very well! When you remove the outer ring, you can slide the cheesecake right off the bottom of the pan - wait until the cheesecake is completely cooled in the refrigerator before you attempt to move it though - especially if any water has gotten in.

As far as adding fruit, other than blueberry, I really think that any berry would work. Berries are particularly great because of their softness. Crush them up and add to the batter, and just gently fold in!

Sometimes water gets inside the foil - I have no idea why that happens. It could be that a bit too much water is put in the water bath, or there are tiny holes in the aluminum foil. The water doesn't usually cause too much damage to the cheesecake itself. Like TVernon says, just make sure to drain it well, and let it dry out completely.

According to Corinne T. Netzer's The Complete book of Food Counts, The Philadelphia brand Neufchatel cheese has 3 carbs per ounce, where Cream Cheese has 2 carbs per ounce. I have no idea about the low fat variety. Per 12 servings, that makes a difference of about 12 grams for the whole cake, or 1 more gram per serving.

HTH

auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:48 AM   #167
cleme
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cleme
Stats: 116/112/112
Start Date: 9/8/03
My, oh my. I made the White Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake with a pecan crust for Thanksgiving, and none of my non-lc family members KNEW it was LC!!!! They all kept saying how delicious it was, and I left it at that. I have to say...it was quite a bit of work to prepare, but so worth it! Not to mention, the grocery store was out of pumpkin pie spice, so I had to make my own! I shaved a pure delite white chocolate bar on top, and it looked like it came from a fancy restaurant!!
cleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:12 AM   #168
Zib
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Quote:
NewWoman, I've never made one of Beachgirl's cheesecakes, but looking at the ingredients, it does sound like it would make a very dense, dry sort of cake. I just checked the recipe for one of my non-low carb cheesecakes that calls for half the amount of cream cheese, has twice as many eggs and uses a full pint of sour cream. It's been many years since I've eaten that recipe, but it must be a much creamier cake.
LindaSue, if I'm reading your comments right you think Beachgirl's cheesecake would be a dense, DRY cake. I assure you it is creamy creamy creamy.

Zib
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:54 AM   #169
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Zib, that's good to know. I prefer creamy cheesecakes over the drier New York style cheesecake. One of these days I'll get around to trying one of Beachgirl's recipes.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #170
3boys4me

Gallery: 3boys4me
I would say BG's cheese cakes (at least the regular one since thats all I've made so far) are more of a New York style...very thick, dense but still very moist. The kind you get in restaraunts where it's just a little, but very rich, sliver. I know my SIL likes her cheese cake creamy, more towards a thick cream pie, which sounds more like what lindasue had posted earlier with half the cheese, twice the eggs and alot of sour cream.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 PM   #171
Lifer
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
I hope I'm not bringing up something that's already been addressed but since I don't recall seeing it mentioned (it's been a little while since I went through ALL of the posts) I have to ask this question. If part of the success of the cheesecake depends on how carefully one mixes in the eggs and since someone had a bad experience with their cheesecake tasting like egg (YUCK! That's SO gross!) is there any reason I can't whisk the eggs separately and then gently add them to the mix? Thanks for any thoughts about this idea.

Karen
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:35 AM   #172
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Karen - Good point! I don't think this has been brought up before.

You could whisk the eggs first - BUT You have to be careful with the whisking, because you don't want to incorporate air into this cheesecake. Perhaps just breaking it up a bit with a fork before adding it would be a better solution. You still want to add the eggs only one at a time, because the egg protein and the fat need a chance to "get to know one another". If you add the egg all at once, it won't distribute evenly, and you will end up overbeating the cheesecake just to get them incorporated.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:52 AM   #173
Wind_Danzer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wind_Danzer
Are those all that sure that the Pumpkin/White Chocolate one is only 5 carbs?

The reason I haven't done it yet is because of what I saw in the recepie room ~ 14 carbs a serving.

Too soon for that one.
Wind_Danzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:39 PM   #174
Lifer
Junior LCF Member

Wind_Danzer, does your recipe call for 1 cup of Slenda? I know that when I was active on this board a year ago (and beachgirl was coming up with all sorts of new flavors for her cheesecakes) she began using 1 cup of DaVinci sf syrup to replace the Splenda, which didn't affect the cheesecake and cut the carbs considerably. I tried to do a search but couldn't bring up any posts that show this.
Does anyone else remember this or has anyone tried it? This could be what is causing the discrepency in the carb counts.

HTH,
Karen
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #175
Ophelia42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ophelia42
Hey - about that water in the foil problem - I had the SAME problem - and I KNOW I was sooo careful to make sure the foil was alll the way around the pan. I finally figured out that my water was actually coming from condensation forming in the oven as the cake cooled - I solved it by putting a piece of aluminum foil VERY loosely over the top of the cake - it didn't seem to bother the cooking AND my next cheesecake came out nice and dry!
Ophelia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:01 PM   #176
doxielvr
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielvr
I have made these several times and I think each time it gets better and better. I like my cheesecake super creamy and on the soft side. My most recent version follows the basic recipe and for the splenda I used 1 tsp liquid splenda and 1/4 cup of vanilla davinci. I baked at 300 for 40 minutes, at 200 for 40 minutes and then immediately removed the cake from the oven. This came out fabulously unbelieably good!

Life is short: Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...fo&ref=profile
doxielvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:52 AM   #177
Suzanne
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzanne
Stats: 173/?/FST&FRM
WOE: Slow Carbs/Running!
Start Date: Restart post pregnancy Oct 16, 2004
For fluffier cheese cake, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then fold into the batter. This creates a wonderful, light consistency.
Austin Marathon, Feb 2008, 5:55
Cancun 24th International Marathon (Half), Dec 6, 2008 2:31:07
Disney Half, Jan 10, 2009...too sick to run
Austin Marathon, Feb 15, 2009, 5:26
MCM, Washington DC, Oct 25, 2009, With Debbiedo!!!!!
Austin Marathon, Feb 14, 2010
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:33 PM   #178
colesmama
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: colesmama
Quote:
Originally posted by JosieL
Here is the basic recipe for a nut crust. This works well with any kind of nut....hazelnut, pecan etc. You can make it plain or chocolate, both are wonderful. My favorite with Beachgirl's basic cheesecake is the Chocolate Almond, so that is why I post it as the original recipe. Good eating everyone.

Chocolate Almond Crust

2 1/2 cups ground almonds
2 tablespoons Splenda
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Place nuts in bowl of a food processor; pulse until ground into a meal.
Add sugar substitute, butter and pulse to combine.
Transfer to a 9" springform pan. With your fingers, gently press nut mixture to form a crust on bottom of pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes; remove from oven and cool.

Josie
I couldn't find almond flour, so I bought slivered almonds. Also, I don't have a food processor, so what should I do
colesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:45 AM   #179
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by colesmama
I couldn't find almond flour, so I bought slivered almonds. Also, I don't have a food processor, so what should I do
If you have a coffee grinder, that will work just awesome! Before you use it for your almonds, place a piece of bread in there and whirr until all the coffee grounds are cleaned out.

If you don't have a coffee grinder, then chop away with a knife until you get as fine a texture as possible. This will take a lot of effort on your part, though, since almonds are pretty hard to chop really fine. Good thing you got the slivered almonds!

If you have a blender, you could try using it, but I don't think the blades are set low enough to really get the fine grind you want for almond meal. Good luck!

HTH

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
Old 12-23-2003, 06:46 AM   #180
Lifer
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Colesmama, the only way I've ever made almond flour was with my blender. The trick to it though, is only grinding a few nuts at a time. Grind a few nuts then empty the flour out (I use a thin spatula for this) then grind a few more. (When I say "few" I mean around 10-15). I've heard that if you try to do too many at once it turns into almond butter instead. Good luck!

HTH,
Karen