Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #121

Gallery:
Thank you Beachgirl!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have a birthday cake tomorrow because of your wonderful recipe for basic cheesecake!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the first time I've ever made any type of cheesecake in my life and it came out perfect with the help of your wonderful directions!

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2003, 10:45 AM   #122
SimpleHarmony
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SimpleHarmony
Stats: 175/???/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Starting daily...
I made the basic cheesecake yesterday and it came wonderful.

I couldn't leave it in the oven overnight (I should've baked it AFTER dinner) but it was fine cooling in it's water bath on the counter. DON'T cover it while it cools. Condensation will drip on it.

DO buy some heavy duty, large size foil. My pieced-together wrap let a little water in.

I can't wait to try the pumpkin one next!
SimpleHarmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #123
Luvpitts
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Luvpitts
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/2005
Just made the pumpkin one, sans the chocolate though... It is delicious! I used the waterbath, the foil on the top rack etc... The cake came out very smooth and creamy! There was some water in the foil when I removed it, but none in the cake, so I took it to be a result of the cooling process and the steam...

Thanks Beachgirl! Can't wait to make the peanut butter one!!

PS I used the almond flour crust mix too. Wonderful!

Luvpitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:02 AM   #124
WV Mel
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WV Mel
Stats: 380/233/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: over and over it seems
Well I made my first ever cheescake last night. I made the basic recipe in cupcake papers. I placed water on the lower rack of the oven and they 1. raised and cracked. 2. turned out to be like a cake instead of the pudding/creamy texture I was expecting. 3. they taste eggy.

After reading ALL the previous posts in this thread (just now) I guess I baked them to long. I baked them at 300 for 50 minutes and at 200 for about 45 minutes. (I planned on 60 and 60 but they looked too done so I cut the time.)

I am not going to give up after this attempt. I will just try it again.
Is the consistency supposed to be like the cheescakes you get in restraunts and the no bake kind? This is all I have ever had before.

Sorry I am a cheescake dummy.

Thanks for the help.

Highest weight 380
Current weight 236
Goal weight 180 - 190
WV Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:00 AM   #125
JazzyV
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 258.65/222.8/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Mel, a couple of pointers on the cheesecake muffins.

When doing them in muffin tins, I bake them 30 minutes at 350, then 30 min at 250.

Mine come out like cheesecake, not cake.

You must let them chill thoroughly before tasting. The cheesecake, even when made as a whole cake, will taste eggy if not left in the fridge a while, preferably overnight. When I make a whole cake, I cool it in the oven overnight, put in the fridge in the morning, and don't taste until that evening. The cupcake version cools much faster, but still needs to spend time chilling before eating.

Give it another shot! Hope this helps.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:36 PM   #126
Wind_Danzer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wind_Danzer
I just made the basic cheesecake. This is truly my first time baking anything so well see how it turns out. I have noticed a few little lumps (probably because the creamcheese was not at room temp) but not much.

Question, do you really have to leave it in the oven overnight?

I'm looking forward to trying some of this!!! MMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMMM.... good.

Hopefully this works out for me becuase I really look forward to making the other ones.

EDIT: BTW, how many carbs do I have to count since I licked the mixing thingies, the bowl and the spoon we used.

Last edited by Wind_Danzer; 10-13-2003 at 12:40 PM..
Wind_Danzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:46 PM   #127

Gallery:
cheesecake

I didn't leave my cheesecake in the oven overnight but it was in the oven till late that night. Then into the fridge! I wouldn't use a food processor....I think it would beat it too much. As I recall, Beachgirl warns about beating it too much in her directions. I might be wrong on this though. :-)
Old 10-13-2003, 01:00 PM   #128
Dare
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dare
Thank you for repling about the food processor question. I was trying to figure out how to make it there without using DSIL appliances. I was thinking about taking my convection oven and I guess hand mixer too. I had planed to make "potato" salad there so I was already taking the food processor.
Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:05 PM   #129
cleme
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cleme
Stats: 116/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 9/8/03
LOL Wind_Danzer!!! I did the SAME THING!!! I somehow revert back to childhood whenever I get to "lick the bowl/mixers!!" All of the carbs suddenly seem to become FREE, with empty calories!! One good thing is, by eating the raw batter, you feel like you have just consumed a whole piece of cheesecake. Thus, you might not need to eat any when the cake is actually ready!!

After all, you can't let the batter that is stuck to the bowl I]go to waste...[/I]
cleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:46 PM   #130
Wind_Danzer
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cleme
LOL Wind_Danzer!!! I did the SAME THING!!! I somehow revert back to childhood whenever I get to "lick the bowl/mixers!!" All of the carbs suddenly seem to become FREE, with empty calories!! One good thing is, by eating the raw batter, you feel like you have just consumed a whole piece of cheesecake. Thus, you might not need to eat any when the cake is actually ready!!

After all, you can't let the batter that is stuck to the bowl {I]go to waste...[/I]
You got that right!!!! LOL
Old 10-13-2003, 07:59 PM   #131
Wind_Danzer
Senior LCF Member

Well I just tried the basic cheesecake I made... cut it into 14 slices... Not sure how you pull off 12 slices but needless to say.... dayum, really good stuff!!!!

My first attempt at anything like this and it came out really well.

Last edited by Wind_Danzer; 10-14-2003 at 05:21 AM..
Old 10-14-2003, 09:17 AM   #132

Gallery:
12 slices

Slice into 6 then divide each of those into half! LOL

Congrats on the cheesecake! I'm gonna make the pumpkin one for Thanksgiving I think.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:36 AM   #133

Gallery:
Blueberry Cheesecake Delecious/EASY

I made the blueberry cheesecake with the almond crust last night and brought to work this AM.....boy did EVERYBODY go crazy over it!!!

Definately a keeper...can't wait to try the other ones....THANKS
Beachgirl!

I didn't have a big pan either so just baked without water bath and it turned out really good. Will get a big pan later tho.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:51 AM   #134
chefchick66
Cake Lover

Gallery: chefchick66
Stats: 14/6-8/Solid 6
WOE: Eating to Run and Running to EAT!
Start Date: August 2002
Re: cheesecake

Quote:
Originally posted by Altitude
I didn't leave my cheesecake in the oven overnight but it was in the oven till late that night. Then into the fridge! I wouldn't use a food processor....I think it would beat it too much. As I recall, Beachgirl warns about beating it too much in her directions. I might be wrong on this though. :-)
I use a food processor to make my cheesecake because it does not incorporate "air" into the mixture and makes a very dense, rich cake.

I use the "pulse" feature when I add the eggs in, one at a time, and never have a problem with cracking or "fluffiness."

You can blend your cream cheese very well using a food processor. As long as you remember that once the eggs are added, to be very gentle with your mixing. Before you add the eggs, you can blend until everything is completely smooth.

AKA Evil Enabler and ThreadJacker Extraordinaire!

chefchick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:58 AM   #135
fisha3000
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fisha3000
Stats: 178/152/120
WOE: SBD/Adkins
Start Date: july 2003
I just made this cheesecake for the second time ever this past weekend - IT ROCKS!!! I'm proud to say that this time, I've shown more self-control, as only a small portion is gone. The first time? - it was history in 72 hours - and I live alone!!!

Thanks much Beachgirl!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:23 AM   #136
chefchick66
Cake Lover

Gallery: chefchick66
Stats: 14/6-8/Solid 6
WOE: Eating to Run and Running to EAT!
Start Date: August 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by fisha3000
I just made this cheesecake for the second time ever this past weekend - IT ROCKS!!! I'm proud to say that this time, I've shown more self-control, as only a small portion is gone. The first time? - it was history in 72 hours - and I live alone!!!

Thanks much Beachgirl!
LOL!!! Been there, done that!

AKA Evil Enabler and ThreadJacker Extraordinaire!

chefchick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:23 PM   #137
MaryMary
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 280
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Jan 2001
JazzyV

I haven't read every single reply, but have a question......

Can you substitute ricotta or farmer's cheese instead of the cream cheese, oz for oz? My DH said he likes his with more texture.

💐🌺🌹🌸🌷🌼🌻🍀🚴
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:14 AM   #138
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
I wouldn't recommend using ALL ricotta cheese in a recipe since the water content and fat content is different from your regular Philly.

For a cheesecake calling for 24 ounces (3 packages) of cream cheese, I would recommend using 16 ounces ricotta and 8 ounces regular cream cheese.

Ricotta can have excessive moisture in it. To drain the ricotta, place the cheese in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl, and let stand for a minimum of one hour, or up to overnight in the refrigerator. Discard the liquid.

You can substitute Farmers cheese, or even small curd cottage cheese - just make sure it is well drained! The cottage cheese makes a marked difference in the creaminess and texture of the cheesecake, though.

HTH

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:24 AM   #139
MaryMary
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 280
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Jan 2001
Thanks, Auntie

Mary
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:11 PM   #140
lgpars
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Did anyone ever answer the question of whether you can make the crust in the springform pan, bake it in that same pan, let cool, and then pour in the cheesecake mixture and bake in the water bath? Will it come out of the springform pan in one piece that way or do you have to leave it on the bottom of the pan to serve it or store it?

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:10 AM   #141
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
Did anyone ever answer the question of whether you can make the crust in the springform pan, bake it in that same pan, let cool, and then pour in the cheesecake mixture and bake in the water bath? Will it come out of the springform pan in one piece that way or do you have to leave it on the bottom of the pan to serve it or store it?
I don't know if this has been answered! I have found that the crumb/ nut crusts don't hold up well whether they are baked, or not, before adding the cheesecake mixture. I usually prepare my crust first, then pop it in the freezer while I am preparing the cheesecake. What I do when I want to remove the cheesecake from the pan, is line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper - so it is about 3 inches larger than the pan. I spray the pan with Pam, and the parchment paper on both sides. When the cheesecake is finished baking, run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan, and completely cool. To serve, remove the springform sides, then slide the parchment paper and cheesecake off the bottom of the pan to a serving plate. I then trim the parchment paper away from the cake as much as possible. It can be a bit of a trick to have a crumb base remain in tact. If you really want to have it all in one piece, then the best thing to do is freeze the cheesecake in the pan after it has cooled for the required time. When frozen, you can remove it from the pan quite easily.

I have had much better success separating a cheesecake from the pan completely in tact when I make it crustless. The only crust that I have been able to remove from the pan perfectly is the one I use for my Chocolate Orange Cheesecake:

Crust:

1/2 cup pecan meal
1/2 cup almond meal (flour)
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup Maltitol
1/4 cup Splenda
1/4 cup cocoa powder
4 ounces salted butter

To prepare crust:

Melt 4 ounces of butter in microwave safe bowl on high for 20 - 35 seconds in the microwave, stirring after 20 seconds. Make sure butter does not boil.

In a medium bowl, combine the nut meals, the coconut and sweeteners. Add the cocoa, and mix well, making sure there are no lumps of cocoa. Add the melted butter, and mix thoroughly. Press this mixture in the bottom and 2/3 up the sides of the pan. Place in the oven, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, adjust the crust up the sides of the pan, as it will have crumbled slightly. Cool for 5 minutes, then place the pan in the freezer while you are preparing the filling. This is an essential step in having the crust set up properly.

Perhaps others will have some suggestions!

HTH

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
Old 10-30-2003, 12:24 PM   #142
ilovemyfamily

Gallery: ilovemyfamily
I haven't had the chance to read through all these replies so maybe my answer lies in one of them. I'd love to try to make a cheesecake but I'm confused. Is there a crust on this or no crust? The recipes at the beginning make it sound like there isn't but then later, I read about an almond crust. Can someone clarify and help me? Also, can I use something other than blueberries in the first recipe or is that the best? Can I just make a regular one and put fruit on the top?
Old 10-30-2003, 12:53 PM   #143
cleme
Junior LCF Member

Rachel,
Almond flour makes a WONDERFUL crust!! Just follow the recipe that is listed on this thread. I don't think I used all of the cocoa powder that the recipe called for though. I didn't want a completely chocolate crust. It is also VERY easy to make.
When I made the almond crust, all of my family members thought it was a graham cracker crust. Also, I made the basic cheesecake (without the blueberries). Whenever I wanted a piece, I simply sliced up a few fresh strawberries and ate them on top of my cheesecake. The basic cheesecake is AWESOME. I really want to try some of the other flavors! Good luck!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:36 PM   #144
ilovemyfamily

Now my next question is can I use something other than coconut flakes? I don't like coconut.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:41 PM   #145
cleme
Junior LCF Member

The one I used did not call for Coconut.

Here is the recipe: (originally posted by Josie)
Chocolate Almond Crust

2 1/2 cups ground almonds
2 tablespoons Splenda
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Place nuts in bowl of a food processor; pulse until ground into a meal.
Add sugar substitute, butter and pulse to combine.
Transfer to a 9" springform pan. With your fingers, gently press nut mixture to form a crust on bottom of pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes; remove from oven and cool.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:34 PM   #146
ilovemyfamily

I absolutely CANNOT wait to try this!!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 11:21 AM   #147
Kim76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kim76
I just made this for the first time yesterday... used 1 c sf torani vanilla syrup instead of the splenda to get 2.3g per serving. I had a half a serving just now for a mid morning snack... I am having a hard time convincing my brain that something that rich and good can really be legal on a weight loss plan!!! WW get out of my brain!!

Even the boyfriend that hates all things sweetened with AS loved it. I just wonder how much I'll actually get to eat of this? He agrees that I need to make another to take to thanksgiving dinner with his family!!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #148
ilovemyfamily

I tried making this yesterday and it just didn't turn out the way I had expected. I tried using the crust that Cleme posted and it just didn't turn out. For one, my little food processor burned out awhile back so all I could do was chop up the almonds, but there was a funny taste anyways to the mixture of stuff. Maybe I'll try it without a crust next time. Is that o.k? Anyone done that? How does it taste crust-less?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:44 PM   #149
MarthaNH

Gallery: MarthaNH
Re: Beachgirl's White Chocolate Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake

Quote:
Originally posted by JazzyV
White Chocolate Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake
  • 24 ounces Cream cheese (3 8-ounce packages)
  • 1 cup Splenda
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 4 Eggs, plus 1 Egg yolk
  • 3 tablespoons Sour cream
  • 1 Can (15 oz.) of Prepared Pumpkin
  • 3 Squares White Chocolate (baking bar), melted in double boiler

Beachgirl? Same carb count for this one as well? 5 carbs?
I'm so excited to try these recipes!!!

Thanks for being such an amazing source for us!
XOXO
Martha
Old 11-04-2003, 05:02 AM   #150
auntie3
Senior LCF Member

ilovemyfamily - I almost never use a crust for my cheesecakes. I'm not sure about the "funny taste"! Could it be that your nuts were on the rancid side? I always refrigerate or freeze my nuts. Sorry you weren't pleased with the result. I'm sure you'd love it without the crust!

MarthainNH - Yup - still 5 ecc grams. Isn't life wonderful?

Hugs